What's wrong and/or right with the type of government as depicted in the 1997 American military science fiction action...

What's wrong and/or right with the type of government as depicted in the 1997 American military science fiction action film directed by Paul Verhoeven and written by Edward Neumeier Starship Troopers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsR4O4W0w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The skills needed to run a military isn't the same skills needed to run a society.

That being said, I do want to know more.

It begins with a fascistic take over of the government and all societal authority by the military and veterans. Which high ranking military generals are you hoping become the leaders in our society?

The film outlines what's wrong with it perfectly. You should watch it.

Starship Troopers is the way of the future.

>Veterans took control due to the incompetence of world governments
>Created a system where only people who are willing to defend its country can vote

What is exactly wrong with it?

Has Verhoeven ever commented on whether the asteroid attack was actually a false flag attack, or if it was just dumb movie logic? Even at 10 I remember thinking that it didn't make sense since asteroids couldn't travel faster than light.

It's a utopia and any utopia is impossible to achieve.

I thik the movie implies the army is used as canon fooder for obscure interests

this

We need the book version not the movie version
Serving the public trust in order to influence the government and decisions made is not a bad idea at all
The might makes right expansionist policy of the federation is problematic but if the citizens are against it then it can be changed
>b-but the military though
In the book that was only like 10% of the citizens, there are plenty of other government jobs

How is that different from today

This movie is satire properly executed.

Political authority can only be derived from force in this world, and force is violence. How would you suggest non military forces in society assert their authority over the military?

Was actually getting the book today after my phone was charged up. All I know about it is that the society is unirronically portrayed as good and it would stimulate my /m/echa fetish.

>believing in democracy

Its basically the Roman system with a stronger military stance and equality between genders.

Ancient Rome had the system where only men who served in the military were considered citizens and could vote and run for public office. This meant that every senator was a veteran and became generals during times of war.

This changed during the Imperial era of the empire however as Rome stopped doing as many military invasions as it had in the past and many of the patricians stopped wanting to die fighting barbarians. There was also the reforms of the military where solders became fully paid professionals instead of being paid by the loot they got in campaigns.

You can vote WITHOUT having been part of said military -> less manpower for said military -> less useless / destructive missions for that military

Wow, I hope you're baiting, you realize this was a satire right?

PLEB ALEEERT

Starship Trooper mechs are pretty hype honestly.

From what can be seen within the film, the society functions and maintains a unified population basically through a constant state of war/expansion. The problem is, in choosing between "civilian" or "citizen", members of that population choose between either forfeiting their rights, or risking violent and painful death in warfare - plus, there is not a single "citizen" character in the film who is shown to lead a peaceful life with rights. Michael Ironside is shown to have become a teacher during peacetime, but he immediately straps back in when it's time to go to war, and he dies violently in battle. Rico and the others are basically institutionalized into the military by the end. NPH, of course, is rising in the ranks but also clearly a very corrupt and somewhat depressed individual. Also it's strongly suggested that the government would be unsustainable without military conflict to unify its people against a "greater evil", which is why the destruction of Buenos Aires is likely a false flag.

That movie is satire of militarism, people, we've been over this.

But taking the movie as tinged with the propaganda of the society depicted, there's a lot of interesting stuff to analyze here.

Well yeah, the murals/posters in some of the scenes, the TV reportage scenes, the naked shower scene, good stuff.

A world unified militarily requires constant conquest and enemies to justify its existence to the people. Eventually they run out of actual enemies and are forced to create their own. This in turn eventually leads to the demonization of a portion of their population, creating a constant sense of paranoia that eventually bubbles over and eats the society alive.

Because it's a parody of the actual functioning military government of the book.

>Created a system where only people who are willing to defend its country can vote

Not true, the book makes it clear you don't HAVE to join the military to vote an be a citizen. There's civil service, government jobs, equivalents of the Peace Corps. Just something that shows you value taking part in making your country better.

They dont look like that. Theyre described as looking like 'bloated gorillas', and are much more utilitarian, with weapon racks that they dump as they go.

Theyre also much more lo-tech, nothing like that anime shit.

They look like this, and they're power armor

I assume it's a false flag. Not just because that would make much more sense, but it also fits with Nazi context (Reichstag fire and everything).

>america circa 2016

It's never been clarified. That's probably just a plot hole, I think if it was meant to be a conspiracy or false flag then the film would have had some subtle clues.

I thought that it ran like a democracy, however only those who had earned citizenship could vote.
Citizenship was earned by rendering service to the nation to prove that you as an individual could put the national interest above your own.

At least that's how it is in the book.

The system works in the book, but keep in mind Verhoeven hated the book and wanted to just make a satire of it.

Human settlements were built on bug planets.

There are very subtle clues throughout. Note the change in NPH's demeanor from the beginning to the time he reappears. He has the look of a guy who knows too much and sees the world in a very murky moral light. Then there's all the propaganda and the bright, triumphant tone contrasted with the brutal and unceremonious deaths of characters. The clues aren't in the text itself but between the lines that this society is not a utopia. And from there one can extrapolate how the Buenos Aires incident would serve the state's interests.

Verhoeven said it was a parody, then later admitted he hadn't actually read the book.

Rly makes u think huh

I've always like the look of this armor.

Would Sup Forums like to see a remake that actually depicts the armor properly while staying true to the satire of the verhoeven version?

He said he hated it, but later admitted he never actually read it.

Not a remake, but a spiritual successor that takes place where the first one left off, with Casper Van Dien as the Federation propogandist in all of the infomercials in the story

Would be difficult because the power armor made the mobile inf in the books able to actually fight the bugs w/o the insane casualties the movies have. The bugs in the books were also different since they weren't a mindless swarm but a species of individual spiders armed with lazer guns and had space ships.

> wrong
they're still governed by career-driven liars and criminals who would send thousands to their death if it benefits themselves and their political platform

> right
space travel

book says that if you sign up they have to find you a job, even if you are a blind cripple they have to find you some work no matter how retarded

>Violence is the ultimate authority

Dispute this. You can't.

youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsR4O4W0w

Why would I- or anyone, actually- dispute it? It's the obviously ululant truth.

>women on the front line

No wonder the bugs fucked em.

>killing bugs is bad, the attack was a flase flag
Why? We've been killing each other for territory and women for all of history and bugs aren't even people

It's bad because the bugs were actually the superior species and fucked the humans in the ass hard after they angered them.