Does anyone have a band, or at least an album that was so good that it almost ruined music for you?

Does anyone have a band, or at least an album that was so good that it almost ruined music for you?

This might sound stupid but when I discovered Animal Collective, they just sounded so original to me (even if you don't think they are / that is not the point). The music they created was expressive and I suppose it was experimental, but in a way that seemed so unbiased and just super natural to me. The emotional feelings that their music gives me are just so transcendent and pure. I've come to realize that I just can not find music out there that gives me the same feeling.

Has anyone else experienced an abnormally strong connection with a certain band or album? I'm I just a fan boy? What separates AnCo from other bands? Why am I a plebber?

*Am I just a fanboy? lol

itaots

fuck you jeff

Although this is probably bait... I actually feel this way haha

I think AnCo has such a lasting effect on people because they're weird, but still very accessible for the most part. Their sound changes across albums, but it still always sounds like them, which seems really genuine, like you really get to know them as people thought their music.

Jesus my commas here are atrocious, I need sleep.

hahaha

itaots actually ruined lyrics for me, after it most music sounds lyrically bland to me

I feel the same way about AnCo

There's something super real and genuine in their music that speaks to me. Nothing else compares.

Arab on Radar blew my mind. I had never heard a guitar sound like them. In my mind Arab on Radar obey regular rock band practices but completely warp it, I don't see music the same I suppose.

Slint // Spiderland

No matter how much rock music I listen to, I never seem to find anything that comes close to this. Nothing sounds as good, and I'm not just speaking in terms of songwriting, but the actual recording quality. They practiced this album to perfection in a little basement until it came time to record it, and they did it in a fucking day. They hardly spent any time in the studio whatsoever, everything being played sounds so organic and perfected it's mindboggling they did it, I mean clearly the practicing did its part, but how do you craft such a concise and eloquent record at that age.

Speaking of which, you'd think an album made by teenagers, featuring vocals and angst playing a big role, that the album would age about as well as milk, but nothing on this record feels anecdotal, the individual short stories and spoken word is what saves this record from feeling like teenage issues frozen in time. Of course there's metaphors and allusions to personal struggles, but they're not at all the same as something you'd find on an emo record. I can listen to this over and over again and never feel like this is supposed to be calling back to hormonal days of teenage life. The record manages to be more mature than the band members themselves were. I think a reason it doesn't feel angsty is because they weren't trying to be, they clearly had a great time making this record.

Britt's style as a drummer is the greatest I've ever heard, his min-maxing approach to drumfills - A LOT OF THEM - but subtle and brief, not show-offy brings so much life to record, you can listen to it over and over and they never fall into background noise, they're always there and rival the fantastic guitar performances.

This album is so good, I listen to it so often that I get worried I'll make myself sick of it, but that doesn't seem possible.

About this time last year, I was at the same point. For me, I think I liked it because of the sound design and really nice mixing/mastering, as well as the more prominent use of melodies in the vocals.

I think the way that their music kind of bridges between what is popular at the time, and what is more indie or underground, while not relying on tropes of either of the 2 really helps the albums feel refreshing and original, compared to what was out when they were released.

It's also probably why painting with and the painter ep were such trash; they haven't really had any good source to lay the foundation on

I know what you mean, user. I can listen to Spiderland all day. The meticulous arrangement of it all...definitely a contender for greatest album of all time.

I just wish there was more music that sounded anything like it but there isn't.

Indulging in classical music made me feel this way. After listening to the world's greatest symphonies for a few months listening to 4 musically untrained dudes banging on their cheap instruments and yelling is just like wtf.

All music sounded drab and bland to me, especially AnCo. Sounded like a couple dudes trying really hard to make the most experimental thing they could and just comes off as insincere. When I discovered Trout Mask Replica, no lyrics or rock songs could compare again, it was instant euphoria

as much as this board likes to meme, AnCo are pretty special, they're equally accomplished musicians, not afraid to experiment and can write music accessible for pretty much anyone, and as a result blow most Indie Rock out of the water

this, completely unironically too

I agree. I'm not a fan of a lot of their stuff but the fact that a group of teenagers wrote STGSTV is mindblowing. Some of the riffs from that album just sound timeless. Its a prodigious display of musical craftsmanship and creativity and definitely my favorite album by them.

Yeah you're just a pleb/music newfag

Anco didn't do anything genuinely innovative or creative, their whole schlick was just making average folk/pop but ignoring fundaments that actually make music good like a basic chord progression or a consistent structure

This is a gimmick that actually applies to most Sup Forumscore, and I think in order to become a true "patrician" you have to realize most of this stuff is just as uncreative as top 40, only infinitely more pretentious. No, stripping down fundamentals is not creativity or ingenuity.

i guess its gotten to a point where I honestly believe the average Sup Forumstant that thinks anco or slint were anything creative is far more basic and uninteresting in their tastes than someone who just likes top 40.

you sound like the pretentious one.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Jeff has fucked up my standards beyond any point of reparation, as far as lyricism goes.

>has an opinion that isnt either 3 words or just regurgitating the rym/mu popular opinion
>so pretentious XD

neo-mu, everyone

cLOUDDEAD, but more S/T than Ten.

Kindly fuck off

>ignoring fundaments that actually make music good like a basic chord progression or a consistent structure
>that actually make music good
That's actually just your opinion

Pretty much everything Dean Blunt has done after the breakup with Inga. Nothing comes close for me.

>That's actually just your opinion
Well, I mean yeah.

Still doesn't make people that think anti-creative shit like that is something clever or creative. That just screams "I have no idea what I am talking about and am new to music"

It's a totally normal feeling OP. All the AC boys are very genuine and sweet people and it absolutely shows in their music. Very hard to top in that regard and by how original they are.

But you just called me pretentious for liking an album, while quite literally going on a pretentious rant about what it means to like albums you don't like. You're the only one here speaking in terms of "patrician" I don't view it that way. I listen to music I like, and I don't think of my tastes being above others.

You regurgitated the same vapid rant I hear here daily, which basically comes down to "Your tastes aren't eclectic enough" I bet you're the same person that insists a popular piece of experimental music isn't experimental, because to you experimental isn't actually about being experimental, it's a pissing contest.

same I think anco music just resonates a really honest and almost pure child-like essence thats really unique compared to anything else

>ignoring fundaments that actually make music good like a basic chord progression or a consistent structure
But Merriweather Post Pavillion quite clearly has both of these things.

virtually all their discography has that, go ahead and feed the troll though

lol your ill-defined "fundamentals" are like the building blocks to bland and uninspired music

Found the patrician

Listening to classical music (actually listening to it) for the first time just fucked up my music taste really hard.
And I'm glad that happened.

This is almost certainly bait, but in the event that it's not and you're just a pretentious douchebag, let me enlighten you.

Innovation, by definition, does not necessarily mean something that is entirely original; it just means taking one or more good concepts and combining and improving them. In that sense, anco are innovative. I'm not even really a fan of them anymore, but if you are the "true "patrician"" that you imply you are, you should be able to recognise that anco are fairly innovative.
I would argue that their music is certainly above average, but that's just my opinion. To say that their songs don't have basic chord progressions or a consistent structure is ridiculous, and I highly doubt that you actually believe that.

The whole concept of being "patrician" is really more of a guide for people who want to find music outside of what they would normally be able to find, given what is usually popular on spotify, youtube etc.
I wouldn't necessarily say that most mu core is just as uncreative as the top 40s; have you heard any of the top 40s from the last few years? It's all pretty generic.
I do kind of get what you're trying to say about how mu core is all very samey in terms of how they go about 'changing things up'.

The way that you talk about fundamentals makes me think you are a fresh music undergrad, who thinks he has a firm grasp on the concepts of music because he just had a lecture on 'fundamentals'.

I haven't heard slint that much, but from what I've heard, it's pretty basic. With anco, they're not the most creative band in the world, but they're certainly at least a step above most top 40s crap. Just because someone listens to anco or slint, it doesn't mean that that's the only band that they listen to, although I guess it would influence their tastes.

AAAMM IIII RREEEAAALLLYYY ALLL TTHEEE THIINNGGSS THAATT AARREE OOUUUTTSSIIIIIDDEEE OOFFF MEEEEEE

I've listened to this so many times it doesn't nearly have the original effect on me it did originally. I was in someone's car and they were playing it and it took me a while to even realize what it was because it was so in the background of my mind. When I focused in on it I just didn't feel anything. I still think it's a good album but it doesn't effect me any more.
Sort of same for me, it just set a higher standard for lyrics for me. Neutral Milk Hotel, Sunny Day Real Estate, and Fugazi were my very earliest exposure to lyrics that weren't run of the mill back when I was 13/14. So since then I've only sought out more stuff with more creative lyrics and it doesn't feel bad for me to have that higher standard.
I like Tweez a lot but it didn't ruin anything for me but hey.
Shit like punk/rock etc and classical music are in such different universes. They're totally different in my mind so I don't find them comparable at all. I listen to them as if they're different listening experiences all together.
I enjoy Trout Mask Replica but to me that's THE being weird for weird's sake. Animal Collective only did experimental things for very deliberate reasons I think, and sometimes for not deliberate reasons when inserting things that arose from wild live performances etc. Beefheart was just trying to be fucking weird. Which is fine.