Death Grips hate: Meme, real, or both?

It feels like Sup Forums is just so postmodern. Take for instance Death Grips. People on Sup Forums have gotten so sick of the echo chamber around Death Grips that now you can't make a positive comment about them without being berated for being an edgelord; ironic. Now it's a little more confused because people have to actually confront the question "do I actually like Death Grips regardless of the opinions of Sup Forums". But the whole thing just seems like people trying to be as cynical and ironic as possible.

So I have a question, for people who don't like Death Grips, do you actually not like them, or have you just buried your opinions under so many layers of irony that you don't even realize you do like them?

It must suck being a nerd and unpopular.

I think people skip through a song like hot head once and that gives them a good enough reason to shit on them here

death grips is like if grimes was a hip-hop band

how?

are you new?

Death Grips suck. They're interesting though. But they sound like shit, it's not good noise.

The thing about Death Grips is that they reflect the multidimensional truths of life and meta-life, primal urges and transcendental ambition, back at you. Some people aren't ready for that; they react by lashing out at the band ("band" used here as a convenience, since they are actually a conceptual art exhibition anchored by sound and vision) and their fans.

More importantly, when will stupid underages stop calling random shit postmodern when they don't even know what postmodernism is?

I blame fantano. His faggot fans copy anything he does, and now they're copying his inaccurate use of it.

I will never understand the appeal of Fantano.

It's literally just some dude on the internet why does anybody care about what he has to say?

no, ive been on here for years. i stayed out of the dg hate flare on here, but i mean i actually like them now. only when im in the mood though

I basically just disregard all hate for them and other music. Whatever you read on mu should not influence your opinion to the point of absolute hatred for something you like. I like Death Grips. Their shit is catchy, and whatever anybody says I'm still going to enjoy it. Who cares what some faggot on a frog image board says about something you like?

This!

>do you actually not like them,

no. They are objectively completely fucking terrible. Anyone who likes them is a goddamned idiot. seriously. only fucking shit-tier plebs like them.

objectively? No. thats a pleb-tier faux justification for your own autism.

he is a meme spoutter that occasionally gives gullible and insecure kids an opinion to regurgitate and safely get behind. thats it. thats the appeal

he's also got a very limited musical knowledge that seems vast to a teenager just getting into it, so theres the illusion that youre getting your reviews from someone "credible"

I fucking hate them and cannot respect anyone who actually likes them. They are literally cringeworthy.

yea pretty much this

I like Death Grips

i dont know why i even come here anymore, it's not like i use any of your opinions as my own. i listen to shitloads of music and form my own. i tend to like most of what i hear. you guys argue over what albums are better than others. it's fucking asinine.

holier than thou etc.

I only like them when I wear my fedora.

>uses the term objectively when describing music
>uses the term pleb

You are aware that everyone immediately disregards your opinion, right?

THANK YOU. this is the first time ive seen anyone say something like this on this board
all music is objectively good. all music is different and thus, offers different objective appeals. to say music is subjective is to say all music is the same thing. its clearly not, and i think everyone who says that prefers some songs over others, thus contradicting their own philosophy.
i thought that at first, but theres an appeal here. its supposed to make you think "what the fuck is this?" all good music does that. when im in the mood for dg, its fucking awesome!!

Fuck, exactly. I don't know why I end up being here, and I think this will be my last time on here for a while. There's no benefit from just circle-jerking the artist of the month while shitting on things that people like simply because they like it. I wish there was actual music discussion on here, I wish I could leave here feeling more positive and excited to listen to music. Fuck you frogs

>It's literally just some dude on the internet why does anybody care about what he has to say?
because listening to music is literally his job. He probably spends an average of at least 6 hours a day consuming music, and I'm sure has had days where he literally spends 10 to 14 hours listening. So when he gives an opinion, you can be confident that it is 100% properly contexualized. When he says an album is special, it actually carries some weight simply because for it to stand out to him, given the sheer amount of music he needs to be taking in every single day, that would, ideally, signify that the album really does actually have something going on. Now, you're free to say "well his taste is still shit" and that's fine, but honestly his tastes are pretty inoffensive, its not like he spends all day recommending sludge metal or some shit. But the point is that part is just your personal feelings, but you can't actually argue about him spending much more time listening to music than you do.

It's a far cry from pitchfork critics who tend to be more casual music fans with journalism degrees. It's hard to believe they're as dedicated as fantano when you see them writing articles for ESPN on the side. Obviously there isn't any accredation for becoming a music critic so pitchfork basically just hires whoever can craft decent articles and subscribes to their little brand of philosophy surrounding music criticism (IE give good scores to socially relevant albums even if they're fucking trash).

Honestly, artists do benefit posting their tracks here on the sound cloud threads and in return get people that like their stuff and gain actual fans and people that like the music they create

The only awful thing is that the majority of people who ask for feedback are instrumental electronic artists or creating hiphop beats related. Not anyone who creates something with substance in it. (not all the time of course but the majority of it is that)

>They're properly contextualized opinions!

Holy shit your answer is actually that you're too stupid to have your own opinions? The fuck does it matier what he thinks? Why don't you fucking spend 14 hours listening to music? Why do you need someone else to tell you about music? Are you so stupid that you would dislike it unless he told you how to listen to it?

Death Grips: Meme, shit music, or both?

>Holy shit your answer is actually that you're too stupid to have your own opinions?
No it's that I can't fucking be bothered to listen to garbage trendhoppercore for hours and hours
>Why don't you fucking spend 14 hours listening to music?
Because I have a fucking job

You think you're the first person on this board to go HURRR DURRR JUST FORM YOUR OWN OPINIONS LMAO. Like yeah dude, congrats, you just rendered music criticism completley obsolete. You. You underminded the entire thing, that thing that has been around since as long as music itsself almost. Rolling Stone just went out of buisness, Ryan Shrieber (finally) just killed himself, and it's all thanks to you and your enlightened Sup Forums posts. Congradulations user, you did it.

dude it totally blows, trust me

>read on mu should not influence your opinion
reading someones opinions influences your opinion, whether you know it or not.

Find one flaw

it ends

Death Grips is unironically a great group of artists that get hated for popularity like every other popular band on Sup Forums

The Powers That B is a masterpiece, and most the other records are almost as good.

i liked them years ago but now it's basically just a meme. they're far from edgelord and only sound edgy to people who don't venture outside their local radio. i'd say a lot of their fanbase is teens on facebook being "ironic" and posting anthony fantano and death grips memes.

>all music is objectively good

that might be true if DG were actually music. but its not. its bullshit.

So...you are saying your a goddamned plebeian.

thanks captain obvious.

Death Grips sucks donkey balls and anyone who likes them is an idiot.

I really don't 'get' their music.

He has muscles but wears those gay glasses that no real geeks wear so you know hes such a nerd!!!

i thought death grips was garbage the second i heard them
Sup Forums has always had shit taste

You love the word pleb a bit too much, cunt. That shit sounds fucking retarded.

What is wrong with making pop music?

I love Death Grips and I consider anyone who won't at least check them out and stay open-minded to be a pleb. They're not even really that inaccessible, literally babby's first modern experimental group. That doesn't have to mean a bad thing though, because they're one of the best contemporary acts as well.