DEADWOOD

Break out the canned peaches, it's a fucking Deadwood thread, ya cocksuckers!

We got any new news on that supposed Deadwood movie?

Just started watching this cause I shilled out to HBO and have not seen one weak character POV yet, they all have interested me to a degree so far.

they've officially green-lit a script for an hbo movie

>Official Deadwood Character Rankings

>God Tier
Al Swearengender
Doc Cochran

>Top Tier
Cy Tolliver
Dan Dority
E.B. Farnum

>High tier
Charlie Utter
Ellsworth
Wild Bill
Francis Wolcott

>Good tier
Seth Bullock
Sol Star
Trixie
Silas Adams
Mr. Wu
George Hurst
Captain Turner
Jack McCall

>Average tier
A.W. Merrick
Alma Garrett
Tom Nuttall
Johnny Burns
Joanie Stubbs
Reverand Smith
Magistrate Claggett
Richardson

>Low tier
Martha Bullock
Leon
Con Stapleton
William Bullock
Sophia
Jack Lagrishe
Jewel

>Annoying shit tier
Calamity Jane
Miles
Flora

Who am I forgetting? Who did I misplace?

The difference between High Teir and Top Teir is so small desu

Indeed. I had trouble placing those two ranks.

Thank God. The cancellation of Deadwood was a great crime. Now only if they would make a Rome season 3...

what was wrong with flora

She was terrible

>tfw Milius planned to have Rome go all the way up to Christ's crucifiction
>tfw he's recovering enough to finish the Genghis Khan screenplay and wants Mel to direct

explain it to me because i liked her

>Actor was so Good he Appeared Twice Tier
>Jack McCall
>Francis Wolcott

i knew they looked the same

which actor are you talking about?

anyone else feel that tim ol-feel-e-ant was casted wrong?

something about seth bullock just felt forced and tacky

Nope. He played the stiff, short tempered sherrif well I thought.

No he was great as the hard ass no nonsense sheriff

that's cause your watching the greatest thing ever put on television, enjoy it doesn't last

he was goddamn awesome in both roles, the 2nd tho my fucking god he was perfect

Would this show have been better if Calamity Jane became less useless as the show progressed?

nope, she filled her role perfectly, what did you want her to do?

Garrett Dillahunt

Wolcott was such a tragic character. I was so torn up over how it ended for him.

develop as a character

thats who she was, read some history, really thats the prefect representation of Jane, more seasons would have expanded it but for what we've got she plays her character perfectly

he was something else, creepy, terrifying, sympathetic, understandable, a fucking psycho, I honestly think he might be the greatest tv character ever created

First watch-through I had no problem. Second time around I just didn't believe anything from him.

Sauce? All i heard was an ex-executive said it will happen sometime

Jesus christ sauce?

I just finished watching this the other night. I wanted a happy ending but overall the series was solid. Felt fucking dumb listening to most of the dialogue though.

>HBO Dramas Power Ranking
The Wire
Deadwood
Rome
The Sopranos
Oz
Six Feet Under
Carnivale
The Leftovers
Game of Thrones
Boardwalk Empire
Treme
Big Love
Vinyl
Luck
True Blood
John From Cincinnati

Not counting miniseries, anthologies or dramedies.

yeah hes a bad actor and was just as unconvincing in justified, though he stood out less in that thank to the bad writing and acting from everyone else

rome above sopranos and oz, NO close but no, if it had gotten more seasons maybe, but it didn't

>the degenerate rapist murderer sadistwas sympathetic
telling.

He was a bit stiff, but I guess that was part of his character. He's much more likeable in Justified.

after carinvale none of those shows matter. HBO hasnt greenlit anything great in over a decade. Boardwalk Empire and Big Love were most definitely better than game of thrones, though, considering its written at a 6th grade level.

>the degenerate rapist murderer sadist was sympathetic
and it was fucking weird but there you go, best show ever

Maybe not above The Sopranos, but I still think Rome is better overall than Oz. Oz had some silly shit in the later seasons and while Rome didn't get as many seasons as it deserved, was pretty much spectacular in every single aspect.

>carinvale
a movie, a final episode, something. Jesus fucking christ hbo suck dick

Al Swearengen was the role Ian McShane was borne to play.

>rome was spectacular

Yes it was

but it didn't get the seasons it deserved so it just can't rate higher then OZ regardless of the occasional off ep, it ended brilliantly, Rome never got the chance so its lower down,

Deadwood of course is beyond these ratings

>Reverand Smith
>average tier

Kindly fuck yourself

The actor was great (pretty sure he's the creator of Rectify, which is one of the most underrated shows on right now) and the character was interesting but for the second half of the first season he was just sick. While the acting was great, his arc didn't give him enough time to develop before the tumora and to make it as impactful as it could have been. That would have been more effective in season 2 or something. But still a wonderful character and actor.

>That scene where Joanie helps Flora undress

Joannie, Alma or Trixie? Who would you choose?

every Joanie scene was GOAT same with Cy

Joanie of course, Alma 2nd (too much work)
Trixie not at all (problems without benefits)

Is Alma before she got off the dope an option?

Sure, I suppose.

>Richardson
>average tier

fuck off

Poor mans Boardwalk Empire

Shit taste detected.

Calamity Jane is hot as fug though. Unfortunately they overused some of her themes and topics way too much.

McShane, Dourif and Boothe were the most perfectly cast in the show.

>ywn cave her skull in

>See Flora I think your fucking skull's broken. You're trying for the knife and it's maybe a foot to your left.
>This is fuckin' pitiful.

Cy was an evil motherfucker.

She deserved it

Still salty desu

I didn't really understand Cy. He doesn't really have an arc.

I guess since Al was portrayed as the unlawful, greedy murderous cocksucker with a heart underneath it all they needed the other saloon owner to be the same but without a heart underneath it all.

The last scene he has he just ends up murdering Leon because he annoyed him.

Cy was just pure evil. I would argue possibly the most evil person in the show. And the show was cancelled before we got to see what they planned to do with him in the long run.

I read a theory that Cy was the devil. Or was the shows allegory of the devil. There are a lot of lines of dialogue that make it plausible.

Dan vs Silas
Who wins?

They didn't really have a plan for Cy. Originally written as an antagonist to Al, it didn't really work out so I guess they decided to make him crazy later so he could set Deadwood on fire.

This. Cy is chaotic evil, Al is just chaotic neutral.

Did you not see Dan vs the Captain? Dan stomps.

To be honest, the Captain was pushing his shit in. He would've won, if he hadn't been ordered by Hearst to drag the fight for as long as possible.

When I first saw Cy I thought he was supposed to be a more noble antagonist for Al.

Except Cy is way more evil and his appearance as noble and higher class is just a facade for how horrible he really is, which is much worse than Al.

True, that was just my first impression. I also disliked Al, but he grows exponentially more likeable after the first episodes.

Newfag here also, fuckin' lovin' every GOD DAMN COCKSUCKIN' moment of this show.

I already had an appreciation for Tim Olyphant's strength as a western/cowboy type after watching Justified, but you're right, every character is solid.

SWEGEN

SAN
FRAN
SISSSSSSSCOOOOOOO

>watch deadwood
>call asian friend a celestial

10/10 writing

The dialogue was fucking amazing! It was beautifully poetic, shakespearian almost.

This. Criticize other aspects but the dialogue was HBO's best. Im curious what the fuck happened to the writers from this show

I hope they do actually go though with the movie. And then maybe do something about how Rome and Carnivale ended too...

Who is the chick with the big boobs in the intro getting into the bath?

To be fair Carnivale ended just when the real story was beginning. Deadwood had a much better run and reception with mainstream audience.

I think it is in the final episode where Cy kills Leon, he appears as if he is about to kill another of his prostitutes, but before he does she whips out her tits and he stops.

She is by far the sexiest in the show and I think she only shows up in the last 3 or 4 episodes.

I kind of got the feeling that he was slowly alienating himself from anyone he could call a friend and was becoming more unstable as a result.
The smallpox guy, the card dealer and Joanie all left him because he treated them like shit. He tried to replace them with Con and Leon but they're just paid sycophants.

I disagree, he got all the development needed in s1. His death felt really tragic to me.