Well?

Well?

For me it's pretty straight forward: Gandalf is a battle hardened demi-god whereas Dumbledor is just an academic.

However, the magic in the Harry Potter universe is much more powerful.

What did Gandalf really do? Shine a flashlight in the Nazgul's face?

Gandalf and it's not even close.

because there is no magic in Tolkien's universe.

It's about godly entity using their power, not about human manipulating occult forces.

And remember, Dumbledor die, Gandalf can't be killed.

He could have solo'd the entirety of Mordor, but he is forbidden to use his magic on a larger scale than you see in the movies or he will have his powers and status as a demi-god stripped.

Can source?

Obvious Gandalf is obvious

The books

>I'm actually super powerful i just can't use my full power
So he has the awesome power of teenager bragging?

I read them all. I don't remember anything like that.

Magic in Tolkein's world is different.

It's definitely "weaker" than traditional RPG magic. You have to be intelligent to use it effectively.

A flash of light can render an army of goblins prone for a few seconds.

A small spark and a pinecone can set an entire forest ablaze and cheese off hungry Wargs.

One whisper to a winged servant of nature can carry great knowledge to far-off lands.

The magic in Tolkein's world was subtle, but had the potential to change the world and the strings of fate woven by the creators.

Also this. There is no mysterious force (mana, ley, arcana etc) that one can draw on in Tolkein's world. The Maiar are demi-gods and draw on their own power to create small effects capable of great changes.

In my opinion... anyone who single handedly owned the Balrog is the man

It's A balrog, not THE balrog.

Big boss, sure, but not an end gamer.

Any of you faggots lucky enough to live near free wifi hotspot? Lol! Random question because it's Sup Forums.

>It's about godly entity using their power, not about human manipulating occult forces.

Except there are those who can and do use magic that isn't the angels/demons. See: elves, necromancers, dwarven crafts.

>And remember, Dumbledor die, Gandalf can't be killed.

Gandalf can die, and he returns to his God.

So you dont know that Gandalf is at the same power-level as Sauron? He is Maiar, like Sauron.

Alright. I might have skimmed through them a bit.

Clearly not The Silmarillion

There are ways to beat someone who can't be killed.
Sealing or mind corruption/control magic are a couple common ones.

>He is Maiar, like Sauron.
Correct, but incorrect.
Sauron also served Melkor AKA Morgoth, he who embraced the chaos and entropy of the Void to augment his own capabilities and whom was summarily sentenced to banishment beyond the Door to the void to (one day) return after paying penance.

Sauron did learn a thing or two from Morgoth, including the nature of the Northern Fire Breathers (which is why he went after Smaug in the first place, Erebor was a nice bonus more than anything) and how to nullify the song of Creation via disharmony derived from the Void.

They were not equals. If Mithrandyr fought a Sauron at full strength, he would be hard-pressed to even slow Sauron down.

This is true, he's know as Olórin. I just don't remember from what Valar he came. Sauron is a Melkor servant.

This isn't a question if they were in a situtation where they had to fight.

Dumbledor is a very strong and competent wizard but Gandalf is literally a demigod. Gandalf would win everytime.

Old Tom bombadil, old tom biddilo. Will always win. He is the lord of Arda.

When facing someone with actual magical powers like Saruman (whom you actually see closing doors with telekinesis and spinning other mages around like their bitch), Gandalf can't do shit.

Dumbledore can teleport anywhere in an instant and has a shit ton of LETHAL spells that, yes, would kill Gandalf. Gandalf was only sent back because he hasn't fulfilled his purpose yet, he is NOT immortal in the sense you think he is.
That one guy listed what Gandalf can do, talk to certain animals, light cones on fire and use this intelligently. Dumbledore has true raw power, he would even own Saruman and Gandalf in a 2v1, sorry.

Dumbledore for sure.
But magic in their fictional universes is different. its not a fair comparison.

We dont know much about Gandalfs true power.

Also remember Morgoth? Once he was the strongest Valar in Arda, before he lost most of his power by dividing it into his servants. He even got rekt by Ungolianta. So how strong Sauron is, after Downfall of Númenor, creating his own army and creating One Ring?