My thread last time didn't get many replies, so I'll be posting again:

My thread last time didn't get many replies, so I'll be posting again:
Well Sup Forums, I need your help. I'm trying to get my hard drive from a newer computer (running Windows 10) to an older computer (running Vista)
I've no clue how to get it to work. The newer computer is broken so I wanted to put my HDD from it into an older computer to be usable, but it comes up with a black screen with a horizontal, white blinking line in the top left corner. However, the old computer runs fine with its original hard drive.
If I left out any necessary info please tell me, I really need this to work so I'll provide as much info as possible/is needed
I do not have a disc or anything like that to install an older version of Windows onto the new hard drive

>Vista
found your problem

Okay user this is a common problem with hard drive transfer. It's to do with the magnetization of the drives syncing up the run speed of formatting in the drive with regards to data transfer. What you'l need to do is find a large magnet and pass over the drive in small circles, gradually getting larger and closer to the drive until it is touching it. After the magnet touches the drive you'll need to slowly drag it from one end to the other to complete the process. Congratulations you've now saved yourself over a $100 manually re syncing your hard drive. Enjoy, the techies at your local repair shop don't want you to know this.

Don't listen to this guy. lol

>>I do not have a disc or anything like that to install an older version of Windows onto the new hard drive

You cannot do anything without installation media. Period. Buy it, pirate it, borrow it, whatever. Then it's as simple as moving the hard drive, booting up the BIOS and selecting boot from CD/DVD/BD drive.

I just wipe it across the top left to right/ up and down, kind of like cleaning a worktop.

I have not done this by gradually getting closer, does this make a difference?

Sup Forums isn't your personal tech support.

the harddrive is most likely formatted for ntfs or something alike that can't be used on an older windows version

Fuck off you bender.

Alright, thanks for the answer. I think I will be able to do that. Seems simple enough

Yes, I used to use the method you described but having tried the gradual movement I've had much more success with my first pas over as opposed to how sometimes you have to go over ti a few times for it to work with the side to side/up down method.

Don't listen to this guy for real.
Installation media is a scam that big tech companies push to waste your money, trust me I'm trying to save you a huge amount of money here dude.

What is not working with the new computer? could be the hdd.

Does the old pc post? i.e does it go straight to the blinking line or you can see some othertext on the display beforehand?

Is the vista pc set to bios/legacy boot? The Win 10 one is probably uefi. No guarantee if the older mobo supports that.

I believe that the graphics card is not working. Speaking of which, if I took out the graphics card from the old computer and put it into the newer one, would that work? (Assuming the graphics card is the issue in the first place)

Also, to answer your question, the old PC while using the newer hard drive will show the HP logo for a few seconds and then go to the black screen with blinking line. However, I can enter BIOS before it does so

try setting boot device priority.

The hdd should be 1st on the list

I'm not sure what you mean by bios/legacy boot, but its official Vista and its unmodified if that helps

I thought OP was gonna post answers to questions?
I might help.... MIGHT.
Post everything you know about your system. Also everything you've done so far?

(in bios)

Actually I have tried that, no change in what happens.

specs of old pc?

Newer computer may have a problem with its graphics card. But I can't fix it, so I want to out my HDD from the newer one into my old PC

However, the old PC runs Vista while the newer one was running Windows 10.

I have tried turning it off and back on, naturally. I have tried setting it so the hard drive is the first thing to boot, but that didn't have any effect, so I switched it back to the original boot order. I know that the older PC knows the HDD is there, because it says its name in the boot system. I've done a "smart" checkup from the bios, I'm not sure what it was supposed to do, but it said it completed the checkup without error.

Poke around the bios menu for something like pic related.

I can find specs in the settings of it right? If not, I don't know how to find them

- uefi not supported
- win10 license linked to board & chip
> Going to be a rough road if you don't know how to computer.

Hey, should I have my old HDD in or my new one while doing that?

they do that?

Chances are the newer computer runs another partition scheme than Vista, which in consequence cannot read that.
If all else fails use the old pc to download a linux iso (Mint for example should work fine), burn it on a DVD or make a bootable USB-stick with it, boot from that (but don't install it later, just boot from it). That way you can access the drive to copy your private files off it.
You won't be able to boot windows 10 on the old machine without reinstalling it most likely.

Right OP.
Are you just trying to swap 1 HD for the other?
Stop been a retard.
Connect both the hard drives.
Job done.

Yes, win10 has a license based off the board and cpu to prevent, basically this. You may call MS to request the update to the new shell, but they are far less liberal about license policies than back in the day.

MS themselves state that any Windows operating system is non-transferrable and not resellable.

Doesn't matter, just hammer f2 when starting. If it does support uefi, you might have to set the boot path, but that's assuming it's compatible.

you're booting from the wrong hdd you fucking noob. Go to bios and change the boot order.

motherfuckers

So if I get the bootable USB working, and connect the hard drive, it'll read the hard drive?
I don't see enough wires to connect both of them at once
This brought up a "Windows Boot Manager"
It gives me the option to choose an OS to start (using old HDD, only option is Vista)
If I click F8 from here it takes me to "Advanced Boot Options"

I've figured out the problem guys!
OP's a fucking idiot.
I would recommend going to Sup Forums but they'd fucking eat you alive kid.

>So if I get the bootable USB working, and connect the hard drive, it'll read the hard drive?
You'd be able to access the hard drive as if it was a USB-flash-drive. Be advised not to save stuff on it or change names though, linux allows names that windows doesn't, and that can break stuff.
You will not be able to make windows work on the old computer that way, but you'll get a chance to copy your files.

Sounds like the best option I've got

OP may want to bring it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy. I'm sure they can assist with this issue.

And they'll probably offer him a job too. He seems highly qualified.

Change the boot device

Or he could just grab the SATA cable from his other system and not need to download anything.

just use the same fucking hardrive and connect it to the mobo. windows will detect the "new" hardware and everything will be A fucking okay.

He apparantly allready tried that though

That would not help the license invalidation issue.

people like him should not be allowed within 10M of a computer.

bump

IT fags show the rage

He could boot vista and access all his files on both discs.

vista to 10 : No / Win 7 to 10 : yes.

i got an iso for a cracked version of 7 all versions and the upgrader to windows 10. open your windows i'll toss it in,

KMS? kek

Right, listen to this fucker right here.
You want to boot in to vista but have the other HDD in a caddy or as a slave.

Then you can access your shit. Some of it might have security permission bullshit and I've never had to do this across such backwards generations but anything that tells you "you don't have permission" just needs you to set your user account as the owner of the resource.

You do this by going to properties > Security Tab > Advanced.
Within Advanced you need to click to Change the Owner (it will be blatantly obvious on your screen).

Once you've done that, add a permissions entry for yourself and in the "enter the object name to select" just type your username account and then hit "check names"

hit OK, hit apply, hit OK, and let it run it's shit.
ignore any errors just keep hitting OK or Do this for all.

TA DA, you have access to your old HDD