The new residents album came out today. Thoughts?

The new residents album came out today. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt2833768/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

when will Homer Flynn kill himself?

I'm just happy they're still doing their thing, even if they've been going in circles for, I think, a couple decades now.

It's nice.

what an awful cover

The cover is nice

t. Never heard of The Residents before

Haven't listened to it yet, ordered it out of gut reaction though.

does anyone have a link to it?

did you order the special edition?

It's amazing desu

on track one right now. the synth playing is more forward thinking of the residents than I was expecting though the vocals could use more energy maybe. I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Is it a concept album? Deconstruction of pop music like earlier or something completely different?

as far as I can tell it's a concept album about trains. each track has some sort of train-related story but I'm not sure if they are connected.

every song tells the story of a different 19th century train crash

You know, I'm only on the first track, and it feels pretty.. Accessible.. That's not a bad thing either. It's obviously a bit strange, but production-wise it's actually not that far-out

Oh, that seems interesting. Does it bare any similarities to Nick Cave's Murder Ballads? It would be intriguing if it does and entirely unexpected from The Residents.

And not entirely unexpected*

same guy here again,
the ending of the first train kind of reminds me of one of the songs off The Commercial Album. I'm not sure exactly which one, but maybe its the "we are simple, you are simple, life is simple too"-track i think

its surprisingly calm, especially given how energetic and insane Shadowland was

okay alot of these fucking songs, lyric-wise, sound like songs off The Commercial Album. Some of the production sounds poppy in an almost tongue-in-cheek-kinda way

yeah but unlike most rock music this album still has a really diverse variety of instrumentation/electronics that evolve throughout each song. and the singing gets pretty weird in some parts.

yeah absolutely, like i said, not a bad thing

actually really enjoying this album.

Could this album be a combination of The Commercial Album, given that a few people here have noticed the similarities, and Not Available, in regards to lyrical content (about train accidents and the overall sad tone of the album)?

The original Residents barely participate in the modern stuff, that's why you'll notice most of the modern albums try to have actual stories and clever twists and have the ''le wacky ironical stuff XdD!'' toned down

>"In a lot of ways I think for them this kind of harkens back to their [1979] Eskimo album than stuff they've done more recently." — Homer Flynn, Residents' manager and president of The Cryptic Corporation

I'm not the biggest Residents fan, but you guys have the best threads on Sup Forums.

If you're new to The Residents, I'd recommend this documentary:
imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt2833768/

thanks, I'll watch this over the weekend

That guy yesterday in a thread looking for train themed on train noise music might be interested then.

Such a coincidence.

Great album, much better than I thought it would be

bump

loved it

Came here to recommend this too, great documentary, entertaining and really gave me a new perspective on the band.

Residents threads are so comfy.

The only thing is they really overplayed the whole "WE DONT KNOW WHO THEY ARE" schtick when we totally do know it.

Really good. I don't have much to say other than it exceeded my expectations

I love the residents, listened to most of their popular records (not available, commercial album, meet the residents, duck stab) but i'm just not a big fan of Eskimo. Could you tell me why its heiled as such a masterpiece? Perhaps it'll give me a new outlook on it and I might learn to appreciate it more

Eskimo is insane in its sound design and manipulation. Everything on it was so basic (they used wet cardboard boxes for percussion for example) but manipulated it. Also the satire on it was more subtle and funny (The eskimo chant being about coca cola for example).

In general I agree though, its not a top tier residents album. I'd put God in 3 Persons as my favorite.

bump

It would be better if it was just The Residents trains in the background. The shitty photoshop of The Resident in the forefront looks very slapped together

Fucking awesome album.
The Residents are sort of hit or miss nowadays, but this album was really inventive and I have a feeling it will be a contender for my AOTY.

Hated it on first listen. Quite liked it on second.

wait what the fuck
for real?

yeah, it's great

Where can I find the lyrics to this album?

>a concept album about train-wrecks
at least they're self-aware

>scanners.gif

I'm really glad they're still doing what they do. Just finished listening to it, loved shroud of flames, the second half of death harvest, and the spoken word in the great circus train wreck.

bump

THIS WAS TERRIFYING AND UNCOMFORTABLE

AOTY17

that's just not true. The others have left, but Homer is still the primary singer and songwriter. he's been there since day 1 (one)

it's ok