Graduating with a PhD in Computer Science soon

Graduating with a PhD in Computer Science soon.

My dream was always to work in Silicon Valley, but with the current president makes me question my decision.

Where else in the world should someone with a background in CS strive to work?

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/news/business/news/google-losing-employees-pay-too-much-money-car-project-f-you-talent-sieve-a7579071.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't base your decision on something you have no power of, CS is very flexible area of occupation, at least in terms of geographical mobility, and you don't want to leave your relatives and friends simply because you don't like someone in government.

Well I'm not in the US yet, so I would be leaving everyone to move Silicon Valley

I'm basing my decision mostly on economic factors. In the US, I might earn almost twice as much as in Japan. Europe would be somewhere in-between.

The reason I am hesitant is not only Trump's character, but for the important part the real-life consequences of his cabinet's policies. It might be harder to get a work visa, even if you are highly educated. Import tariffs destroying businesses. Travel bans for family, friends, coworkers...

Silicon valley is/was awesome because the smartest people in the world gather(ed) there. Now people from certain countries can't even get in.

Should I stay in Japan, move to Europe, or try the US anyway? Where in Japan/EU/US?

Didn't he just say he wants to reform legal immigration for something close to what Canada and Australia do, with points given on merit instead on favouring uneducated folks ? The silicon Valley is already filled with highly educated foreigners and it won't change, so one more or one less...

You're welcome in Europe. Switzerland is very racist but they pay well. French like Japanese people, so you should live in France and work in Switzerland.

Why would someone want to work in Silicon Valley?

>Google is losing employees because it paid them too much money
>Numbers were so big that several veteran members didn't need the job security anymore

independent.co.uk/news/business/news/google-losing-employees-pay-too-much-money-car-project-f-you-talent-sieve-a7579071.html

Thanks for replying. Switzerland sounds good DESU. Je parle un peu de Francais aussi.

Money, career opportunities, connections. You might be working for the next Google, facebook, Microsoft, who knows? Or at least you hang around people who do and get inspired by them.

Where would you want to work with a CS degree?

If they leave, as soon as they don't need job security anymore, doesn't this mean that the actual job is pretty shit?
The moment they could, they probably thought to themselves: "fuck this place, I'm out of here".

That's the same for every job, right? If you had enough money to pay for the rest of your life, would you keep working your corporate job? Or follow your dreams, start your own company, travel the world...?

Before Trump it was super easy for people with STEM phd's from other countries to get US citizenship much less a work visa but I'm not sure if that's been changed. Most of the racism in America is towards people with brown skin (i.e. Mexicans, Indians, Black people). People are much cooler towards yellow asians and California is crawling with them so you won't stick out. America has a pretty positive view of Japan overall. You should still come here imo.

ameriboos do.
>You might be working for the next Google, facebook, Microsoft,
you sound socially pretty alpha and will be rich anyway but this sounds ridiculous to me. its like weebs saying my dream is to be a manga-ka in japan. you cant be like that in such a normal way but have to be socially insane to be a pioneer.

You should look in Germany too. A lot of Germans who live close to the frontier are coming back from Switzerland because the difference in salary got smaller and the cost of life is lower in Germany. And Germans aren't racist compared to Swiss people. But it won't be the same as in the silicon valley. I'd choose the US. With a PhD, it'll always be easy to go somewhere else anyway.
They received compensations worth decades of salaries after 5 years.
At that point, it makes more sense to do your own thing.

>Money, career opportunities, connections.
Well, if this is important to you, It may be a good place.
But Silicon Valley isn't the only place where you can have that.
Furthermore working for hundreds of failing startups seems pretty horrible.
Having to pay an absurd amount of cash for your shitty apartment seems dumb too.
The whole culture around it seems pretty bad actually, built around the exploitation on young talent.
I'd probably rather stay in japan and work on something I can actually enjoy.
If you really want to move, there are other places in America, there is Switzerland, Germany, France etc.

>Most of the racism in America is towards people with brown skin (i.e. Mexicans, Indians, Black people)

Well that's a relief I guess?

I don't think it's that ridiculous. Many pepole worked for friendster, myspace, and facebook. It just happens that only one of them is still around. You have to work hard and be lucky. Or take a comfortable job in an established company.

>But Silicon Valley isn't the only place where you can have that.

Please be specific. Which region, city, etc would you choose as a PhD in CS?

I don't feel exploited when I get a huge paycheck for difficult work.

you're acting like you're doing us a favor by coming here to work in silicon valley. reality is everyone in the entire world with a rigorous comp sci background wants to work their way into the US eventually. if you have any doubts at all you won't make the cut, so better to find work in japan or at some chinese company

How do I memorise everything in Tanenbaums modern OS and computer network books? I read and take notes but 90% of it I forget.

On a side note.
In Germany you won't earn more as a software engineer than in Japan.
The average salaries are around the same.
In Switzerland you will earn much more.

>Please be specific
In Europe there isn't really a culture of specific places.
You can find something in every major city.
As for Switzerland, Bern or Zürich might be good places to live.
In Germany, Berlin or Munich (although I would never want to live in Berlin).
Don't know about France.
Prague is a great place too, and I am sure that they have a lot of places to work for you.

>I don't feel exploited when I get a huge paycheck for difficult work.
Yeah, everything is a matter of perspective.
I'd personally rather work on something I can enjoy.
And I don't think the work you'd do in silicon valley is very difficult either.
Just your fair share of highly concurrent backend stuff, and maybe some more cutting edge stuff like deep learning.

I'm doing you a favor, you're doing me a favor. It's how capitalist society works, it's not a zero sum game. If you don't need a CS PhD, don't hire one.

In my undergrad, we worked on our own OS. This helped me more than memorizing Tanenbaum's theory. You gotta get through it, the good new is that you can specialize on something completely different for your Master's and PhD though

>I'm doing you a favor, you're doing me a favor.

you're really not, when the talent supply pool is so wide and deep. unless you're at the very top of your field, as in publishing shit on leading research in A.I. and shit, a PhD isn't such a big deal, especially from a school outside the US or western europe. they're a dime a dozen in SV

Yeah, I also heard that people are not hiring STEM PhDs anymore... come on, don't be silly.

My university is about top 20 in global rankings, top 5 in engineering. Only thing holding it back is, get this, lack of internationalization (e.g. publishing and teaching in English).

Big deal is relative, I don't care about being a big deal. In fact, I prefer working with people who are smarter than me.

Why not stay in Japanand help make Japan(asia) great again?

Make money elsewhere, then settle down with said money or create a startup in Japan. I need some of that money

most people will be surprised to hear this, but the engineering and CS hub of the US is not silicon valley. It's northern virginia. If you are interested in CS work consider something in the Reston/Dulles area (this is outside DC). And northern virginia is extremely diverse; no one will look twice at some japanese dude.

If this is what you want you can forget about Europe.
Salaries are way too low.
Maybe Switzerland, since they pay quite a lot, and if you are smart you can save up a lot of money.
America might be your best bet.

yeah, a physics PhD is actually much more in demand in SV than CS. all that shit's on the verge of getting automated anyway

> all that shit's on the verge of getting automated anyway
bullshit claim.

Although to clarify.
In Germany you can realistically at a pay of 50.000 Euro per year, save up around 30.000.
But it's the same in Japan.