Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1818

lazy sons of bitches edition

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

books.rakuten.co.jp/rk/b7db215c30b937cfa32127a90287ec55/
books.rakuten.co.jp/rk/664d8131cbe5327aaa283d1d588c993d/
guidetojapanese.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=851
oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/5716916.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nazi_war_crimes
desuarchive.org/_/search/image/7YgKf7TWpCo9djkeEBreQA/
oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/3329884.html
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/JLPT_Guide
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's a relief to hear. Glad you're enjoying the series.
By the way, what is the difference between this volume 1:
books.rakuten.co.jp/rk/b7db215c30b937cfa32127a90287ec55/

and this volume 1:
books.rakuten.co.jp/rk/664d8131cbe5327aaa283d1d588c993d/

The newer version has せうかなめ listed as an illustrator as well as ue. These books don't have a whole lot of illustration so is one the cover artist and the other the insert image artist or something?

日本語ナウ

>personに会いました
is it always に and never を or と?

It's sometimes と as well.
Here's a discussion on the difference
guidetojapanese.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=851

oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/5716916.html
>a. 私は友達と会いました
>b. 私は友達に会いました
>a. は I met with Bob at a post office. みたいな感じで、b. は I met Bob at the station. みたいな気がします。

What's the rules for using suru-verbs without suru?
E.g. 勉強は難しい。

They are nouns without する and should be treated as such in using sentence patterns.

bump

So my sentence is valid then? Or would I need する anyway?

could not より be applied in this case?

no you are good, just make sure you want the topic to be "studies". like just the noun itself, not the "act of doing it (studying)". hope that makes sense.

Daily German fucking post

Every day, Germans who criticize Japan should apologize for German war crimes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nazi_war_crimes

一週間に一日より勉強します。

I am studying less than once a week.

Is that it?

おこなの?wwwwwww

I meant

"I am studying less than a day per week"

Hmm, I don't know something seems awkward about that, though maybe I am just overthinking it. I am certainly no expert. Hopefully someone else will chime in soon. Present progressive with a ている attached might work better here as well, as you are talking about a methodical action.

Looking at jisho, maybe 以内 could work.. or even しか, however I know you want that "less" aspect stated.

Okay fuck, yeah より wouldn't make sense here sorry.

Maybe だけ could work here as well? However you still want that less than nuance...

>no you are good, just make sure you want the topic to be "studies"
yes, that's exactly what i wanted, thank you

I would leave the suru, so it would sound more like "(the act of) studying is hard."

勉強するの(こと)は難しい。

But I don't know, maybe the nuance shifts to it being hard to find the opportunity to study, instead of doing the thing in itself being hard.

Japanese vocab isn't hard; it's just time consuming. Yes, that includes kanji.

Learning easy things is obviously easier on you, making the process more enjoyable. You make progress and feel good about it and yourself.

Learning harder things is uncomfortable, and you often have to really push yourself to do it. It's fuzzy and indirect and vague. Sometimes it's unclear if you're even making progress despite the immense effort you're putting in, it feels out of proportion and is thus frustrating. Some people react to being wrong by getting angry and annoyed - I would know, as I'm one of them.

However, we only TRULY get better at skills when we are forced to really struggle to get through. Skills that force us to go through this uncomfortable, really pushing it feeling are usually skills that are valuable in the end, as many are unwilling to even attempt to start learning them.

Yes it can seem inconsistent and bullshit, but it's still the easiest path to understanding. Grammar rules were written after the fact, weren't they? Yet, they summarize the patterns you would otherwise spend a LONGASS amount of time trying to absorb via input.

Burying your head in the sand of ONLY learning vocabulary isn't going to make it go away, it's procrastination.

Oh my fucking god, so that Australian cunt got replaced by a leaf? Just kill this fucking thread already.

ありがとうございます
な なくないで!

chill
motivationbros have been a staple part of djt since its inception

What this could mean ああんクチ?

>ああん
Usually means something like "open your mouth and say 'aaaah'" if a person is being fed or their mouth is being examined in some way.
>クチ
Obviously means "mouth" which fits the above. It's hard to give a more precise translation of the full phrase without better context.

In ero material the guy often says something that is translated to English as "your body is honest."

What is he saying in Japanese? Like if you put it in kana.

>translated to English as "your body is honest."
the fuck am I reading?

the only thing I can think of is 本物 maybe, I think in anime they usually translate it with "the real thing" or something like that

He means when the girl is forced into sex and she puts up a front and tries to resist but her nipples are erect and her vagina's wet so the guy responds to her protests with something like "Even though you're saying 'no' your body is honest" or whatever because obviously she's physically aroused

>ワールドランク どうどうのさい(さえ?)

Do either of these sound right and make sense?

堂々の最 - The most impressive world ranker
堂々の才 - The most talented world ranker

Nothing sounds right if I assume どうどう is 同道.

found it. tyty

体は正直だね

I'm an Ankidrone and you can't make me change!

In context:
はあ弁士の姐さんも人形好きなの?
ああんクチ
映画の前は文楽の語りもやってて

I would say 堂々たる才(どうどうたるさい) that souds like written language and means "stately talent" or something, though.

Both 堂々の最 and 堂々の才 sounds weird and probably might not make any sense.

Please translate

もしユリウス様がいなかったら、こういう自責の念やもやもやした思いを誰かに一切吐き出せず、ミミにとっての生きる支えとなる人もいないってことなんだから、そりゃあラスボス化してもおかしくないよね……

>7-8 reps per minute
>started exercising
>12-15 reps per minute

I wonder if that is a pure coincidence or all the "sports increase your focus" talk was right

がんばります!

desuarchive.org/_/search/image/7YgKf7TWpCo9djkeEBreQA/
モチノススメ has always been one of our leafy brethren.

Veteran here, learning kanji is impractical. I'm jealous to those who can actually speak Japanese. Despite being able to read mangas like Medaka Box-level, my speaking skill is shit.

How is your listening ability?

am i ready to read 四叶妹妹 yet?

>average ease: 227%
>highest ease: 280%
what kind of memory do you have? holy shit

the already knowing kanji type

I think it's just negative expression.

How long have you been doing Anki for? Might just be you're getting past the initial friction.

It also might have to do with the fact Core has "waves" where new kanji stop appearing and only new vocab with old kanji shows up.

Also, what is the schedule for physical exercises and Anki reps? Doing some exercise will definitely oxygenate your brain, though I don't think it's a long-term thing, it's more of a chemical afterburn. Unless you were obese and had a shitty health condition, case in which exercises will just restore your focus, not necessarily increase it that much.

A couple of months, exclusively mining my own cards, no premade deck (except for my custom radical deck).

More than 10 hours between exercise and anki.

Eh, then I don't know.
I'm pretty sedentary and I have an average of 7~8 reviews per minute, although my retention is fine.

The answer probably lies in military training. Maybe all that training is also supposed to give you better reflexes.

Hire a coach to slap you and psychologically shock you all the time, see if you can push it to 30 reps a minute.

I can understand pretty well on everyday conversations. I'm bad when it comes to math instructions..

What is ソコんとこ in standard Japanese?

Why is 袂 a thing

そこのところ
ん→の、とこ→所
oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/3329884.html

Thanks. Is ソコんとこ very slangy, or is it just normal informal?

It's pretty slangy, yeah.

Just for clearing it up... I know you can write "Verb + koto" or "Verb + no" for shortening it, but "Verb + no + koto" is dame?

ランクの話をしているなら「堂々の3位」じゃない?

>3位
I think you're right. That makes way more sense than anything I had. 「堂々」はまだ少し変だが、ありがとう~

Please r8 and correct the following sentences:
>でも、映画はつまらなくて、長かった。そして、私たちは眠くて、寝た。
Can I use i-adjective inflection like that「眠くて、寝た」or is that wrong?

Or maybe this would be better:
>だから、私たちは眠くなって、寝た。

一回するかしないか
Maybe you can use this.

As in something like「勉強は一週間に一回するかしない」?
I was thinking about that question and came up with a handful of different answers but none of them sounded natural or fitted exactly what user was after. It was frustrating.

I was thinking 勉強は週に一回するかしないかぐらいの程度です or something. I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure how to phrase it naturally.

There's always 勉強は週に多くても一回しかしない...

ねdjt起きる しゅまつは何しますか

オナニーしまくる

Does 電気労働者, translate to Electrician?

Not looking for 電気技師 because that's different.

Or is 技師 a word for workers as well as engineers?

Yes. 労働者 often has a meaning of social hierarchy.
Electrician is 電気技師 or 電気技術者 or 電気工.
技師 often shows an engineer who has high skill because 師 is teacher.
the way of speaking of 電気労働者 is rare.

Thank you, I've asked actual Japanese people this many times but never really get a clear answer and people always end up thinking I'm an engineer instead of a technician.

I'm probably going to go with 電気工 because it's the simplest to write/say if I need to.

N3 Grammar Points

Is this it? Looks easy enough!

>inb4 combination sentence with many of these

Yeah, knowing grammar is 10% of the climb, 90% is dealing with multiple clauses intertwining and mentally solving ambiguities.

Is that so? Good for you, my dude. I'm not quite at that level, I just posted this here so I could save it onto my laptop later. (Don't tell anyone shh)

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/JLPT_Guide

The second one is a コミックアライブ which means a manga adaptation of an LN. You'd probably want the 文庫 since well-written prose is far better than pretty pictures, at least in my opinion.

>since well-written prose is far better than pretty pictures, at least in my opinion
What is well-written prose in Japanese?

>hey this vocab list is small
>clicks on it
>ah that says go to あ

>まさか
まじで

This LN

グラブルのキャンペーン、10万人に当たる!とか100万人に当たる!みたいなやつすら一度も当たったことがないから、1名様とか10名様とかはまったく希望を持てない(´・ω・`)

Global Campaign has hit 100,000 followers? Then 1 million? What's みたいなやつする一度も当たったことがないから though? And 1名様とか10名様とか?

Please translate. I really want to understand what you're saying.

Japanese thought that the soul would stay in 袂. So "袖を振る" means I will give you my heart.

Unmarried women wear long 袂 kimono = furisode so that she can 袖を振る very well. When a woman gets married and gets a husband, she does not have to 袖を振る to call to men anymore. So, she cut off the 袂 and begins to wear short 袂 kimono=tomesode. She leaves cut 袂 in parents, so 袂を分かつ=to divid 袂 means leaving parents, originally.

Today, we use 袂を分かつ to go on separate courses with a person who was together or a person who was doing something together.

By the way, if you say 袖「に」振る, it means "threw over a lover". Be careful the difference between 袖を振る and 袖に振る.

pic related

This guy comes up to you and says he'll fuck you up.

Wot do?

Don't worry about it because he doesn't exist.

Who?

forgot pic lel

えーと、すいません、私は日本語よく話せません。それじゃ、バイバイー!

>Those who have passed either N1 or N2 (regardless of citizenship) are exempt from the Japanese language section of the middle school equivalency examination, which is required in order to enter a Japanese high school if the applicant did not graduate from a Japanese middle school.
>tfw you wouldn't have be able to go to a Japanese High School anyways back then
Really makes me think

It ain't. If I sit for 2 hours I start feeling a bit sickly. --> Do squats until I feel it and suddenly I'm able to focus twice as well.

>グラブル
Grand Blue Fantasy, a keitai game

>グラブルのキャンペーン、10万人に当たる!とか100万人に当たる!
Think of these phrases being in quotation marks.

"The GranBlue campaign (contest, lottery) has with 10,000 winners!" or "There are 100,000 winners!"
>みたいなやつ
means "or sth like that"
>すら一度も当たったことがないから、
I've never won it.
>1名様とか10名様とかはまったく希望を持てない(´・ω・`)
so I can't hold out hope for (a campaign with only) 1 or 10 winners

Put it all together:
I've never been chosen as a winner for any lotteries that have 10,000 or even 100,000 winners like a GranBlue campaign, so I've got no hope for a contest that only has 1 or 10 winners.

>レイプ
Is this rape or live? Is Rikaikun messing with me?

rape=レイプ=強姦
live=ライブ=生

live=生、生きる、住む

In the app imiwa

theres both JLPT and School grades that teaches you different kanjis.

Which do I approach? or does the order not matter as long as you eventually reach the 2500 kanji required?

stop downloading dumb gimmick apps and read the guide you faggot

jlpt is better.

imiwa is a dictionary app and its jlpt course follows remembering the kanji's order, what I'm asking if does order matter?

They're like almost the same anyways. Realistically School Grades is better because JLPT test shit was based on for exam questions.

thank you anons

Is there an easy way to type a small katakana tsu after a hiragana word? I am transcribing a mango and it happens ALL THE TIME.

Pressing Alt+CapsLock T T Backspace Enter Shift+CapsLock is kinda annoying.

If it's just a dictionary app what does it have to do with kanji order?

If you're using it to learn, then applies

I think it's something like xu or xtsu on the Google IME

Can't test it since I'm on my phone

Because what I was asking wasn't about the app, as you fussed about, I asked about the kanji order and would it matter if you learn all 2k+ of them in order or not

I use imiwa dictionary so I could atleast study offline as it has stroke orders and readings

xtu
ltu