Can somebody help me understand this band...

Can somebody help me understand this band? I like a few of their songs but I don't understand the undying love their fans have. What is it about the music that's so appealing to you? I wanna get into them but I feel like I'm missing something.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BD0sdKmf4eM&t=4s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

theres no way to explain it its just something that happens

Did you like them right away

>but I feel like I'm missing something.
Yeah, it's called taste

I'd say you're ready for Ween after you get Burial's Untrue and Persian Underground in that order

I wasn't an immediate fan. They grew on me as I listened to them more and more. Originally I was only listening to the more popular songs like Voodoo Lady and Freedom of 76. But I slowly opened myself up to their less normal stuff. There isn't really any explaining you can do of Ween, the thing that keeps me hooked on them is how many genres they have done. When you get bored of one album you can start listening to another album and it won't feel repetitive. They have a good mix of songs where they don't take themselves seriously and songs that are a bit more serious and somewhat sad

Do you like psychedelic music? Do you like Frank Zappa? If you say no to one or both of these questions Ween might not be the band for you

Seriously, the key to Ween is that they're the least uptight band of all time. They just do what they want regardless of if it's cool or how it looks and they tackle every genre with sincerity and craft. If the tunes themselves aren't your thing, they're just not your thing. Nothing wrong with that. I really like how effortless all their albums sound.

God, Gene was so qt before he suddenly went gray

Listen to Flutes of The Chi. even my mom likes ween bro. Get some taste

It's called dealing with a abusive gf that forces you to stop eating that much

"Got fat, got angry, started hating myself
Wrote "Birthday Boy" for you babe
Now I'm skinny and sick and paranoid"

This... Makes sense as to why I liked them from the moment I heard them.

Ween are indeed my favorite band and by far the most meaningful band in my life. I always feel such a strong attachment to their music beyond any other artist, and their music has always kept me above water during every single period of my life since I first heard them. Many of my closest friendships were established from meeting other Ween fans. Hell, one of the reasons I started talking to my first girlfriend was because she was a Ween fan.
I could list a ton of reasons why Ween means so much to me, but it mostly boils down to one fundamental thing. To me, Ween are a band that represent my absolute favorite thing in music, which is creativity. The thing that originally drew me to Ween so much was just how much boundless creativity they had. They were always trying new things and taking on whatever musical approach they wanted to, from absurd lo-fi experimental, to pure country, to amazingly catchy pop songs, to pretty much anything else they felt like. There are very few artists that have ever quite matched the level of pure creativity and imagination that Ween had.

So basically, I love Ween to death and I can't imagine what my life would be like without them.

You summed it up so well

nice pasta

This
I personally liked them right away. I didn't enjoy GWS or Pure Guava the first time I heard those albums, but after I listened to all their other ones a few times over and went back to those two, I loved them.

GWS is a legendary album.

It really is, though it's not the easiest to listen to overall.

Its easier than The Pod by a significant margin imo. Tracks like Don't Laugh and LMLYP really help diversify the tracklist and make the whole thing a smoother experience. Also it just plain shreds. Tracks like Wayne's Pet Youngin and Bumblebee are insane.

Interesting. I had a borderline religious experience the first time I listened to The Pod.

The Pod is great
I just prefer GWS

Honestly the older you go with Ween, the less accessible they get, and honestly that's not a bad thing since their oldest stuff is arguably better than stuff like The Mollusk.

Same. I get the feeling they want with The Pod, and the songs are still pretty great, but the muddy feeling is too much for me.

Didn't stop me from buying it the second I saw it in a record store a while ago for pretty damn cheap. Honestly, it's kinda shocking I managed to not buy a single bad CD that trip, given that half of these albums were picked off their covers.

Listen to Quebec and The Mollusk and Chocolate and Cheese. All are flawless. Pure Guava is fun too: youtube.com/watch?v=BD0sdKmf4eM&t=4s

Just great songwriting.

I like their older "brown" stuff because it's the kind of goofy shit that I'd do, except they're waaay more musically talented

It's very underrated