What's the difference between this and any other Phil Elverum project? Is pitchfork only giving bnm +9...

What's the difference between this and any other Phil Elverum project? Is pitchfork only giving bnm +9.0s to white people only when someone close to them died?

i think his wife's death definitely played into the score and reception that this album got, even if this is my AOTYSF and i consider a 10 myself.

i dont think its fair to rate the album completely seperate from its context, because in this case, context means everything. its an album involved entirely with his wife's death and he presents it very beautifully in my opinion.

i agree, it is a slow-burn and some of the instrumentals are less than forgettable. that being said, i think the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

other people can not like it though, thats them and they can like what they like.

>I wonder if she was reincarnated as that fly swarming the rotting garbage
Beautiful

it's just weird though, skeleton tree, carrie and lowell, blackstar. you have to literally be near death for pitchfork to take a look at you if you are white :thinking:

>I leave her bedroom window open all the time now in case "anything else" needs to leave
>song titled Taking Out the Garbage
Like poetry

an album like this should be exempt from a score

the idea that you give an album like this a numerical rating is almost absurd

DUDE TRUMP'S A FASCIST

I'm not entirely sure what your point is here. Pitchfork has always held Phil's work in high regard, The Glow Pt. 2 fucking got Album of the Year.

sup snox

>Sup Forumscucks get triggered over one vaguely spoken line out of a 40 mintue album

its like pottery

First line of the last song of an album entirely about his wife's death

*second line, specifically addressed out of concern to his now motherless child.

You people are embarrassing.

This is trivial "music" that any amateur could make, except that most amateurs would be ashamed to release it.

Geneviève Castrée died of cancer in july 2016.

>smoldering and fascist with no mother

why the fuck did you think of trump?

Yeah? That's not a retort and being the second line is barely even a clarification but nice low hanging fruit.

If in any of his previous albums he addressed his concern over fascism then that would be. Otherwise, "Dude, Trump's a fascist" is literally one of his conclusions of the album.

See
"No Trump, no KKK, no fascist usa"

triggered over one line

Again, you people are embarrassing.

Calmer than you are. I'm just simply pointing out the conclusions of this album.

Where in the fuck does he even talk about Trump? That line could literally mean a million things. I don't really think Phil even gives a shit who's president right now desu

This album is filled with solipsism. "This world" is his world. He's not concerned with his daughter moving to the Philippines. He's concerned with his daughter growing up where they live.

>cremated and scattered
>all her clothes given away
>moving out of the house
This album isn't about getting over her. It's about erasing her. Even two song titles contain the words Garbage and Trash. Then finally reducing her only remnant to just another of his works of art.

album's shit, everyone can stop pretending it's more than it is

feel sorry for his loss and wish phil and his daughter the best but it was seriously pointless releasing this

Although I think the context of this album absolutely plays into the critical reception of this album, Pitchfork has been giving Mt. Eerie great reviews when other publications haven't.

that's what you took away from this album?

Death is real
Someone's there and then they're not
And it's not for singing about
It's not for making into art

Maybe he should be taken literally. This album is not about dealing with her death. It serves another purpose to him.

death is powerful user

Toothbrush/Trash most definitively illustrates what I took away. He wasn't in love with her anymore. Nobody writes a song like that about someone they were in love with. He loved her but wasn't in love.

Sofia Moria contains yet more evidence of dehumanization in its striking similarity to the conclusion metaphor of The Great Gatsby which is that he was not in love with her. Interestingly this is also the song in which he decides to tell us that he gave their baby away for an undisclosed amount of time.

true. musically, it's... not shit, just irrelevant. lyrically, it's powerful, beautiful and moving. it feels more like a grieving tool for Phil as a person than an album for Phil as a musician. You can't put a rating on that