Did anyone here play a sport in HS or college? I know this site is for basement dwellers, but I'm just wondering

Did anyone here play a sport in HS or college? I know this site is for basement dwellers, but I'm just wondering.

>What sport did you play and was it fun?

>Was the training difficult?

>How much rivalry was there between teams/athletes?

Played running back at UT Austin for 2 years. Actually got to score a TD in a regular season game.

The training was hard as fuck. They let us party and do whatever else we wanted but when it came time to get ready for the next game it was no joke. Lots of sweating. Lots of electrolytes being taken. Lots of guys calling for their mamas.

I ran track, I was a pole-vaulter. Training is pretty hard sometimes considering that you need to be trained to not kill yourself while doing it. Pole-vaulting cam be really dangerous.

>Austin
How did you manage not to die and evaporate while training in the texas summer?

Pole vaulting is badass. Gotta be in top shape to be good at it

In high school in NC i was on a tennis team, it was pretty fun, the training was fairly easy as it was mostly drills, but if you wanted to actually be a seeded player (top 6 players on a team who's games actually matter) you had to spend countless hours serving, rallying, and shit. I spent almost 6 hours a day just serving over and over again for almost a month straight. Competition was fairly healthy, the seeded players challenged each other to get higher in rank and some teams hated each other but that was about it

they had built an indoor training tent by the time I went there. It's like 50 feet from interstate 35 if you want to google map it. Air conditioned.

Before that? Fuck if I know how those guys made it.

Played rugby in HS and still do at College. Training is hard as fuck, usually 4 days a week plus gym 3x

I swam in high school. The swim meets were fun but I absolutely hated practicing. Practicing not only made you physically and mentally tired, but during the entire season, because of the chlorine in the pool, you were always itchy, smelled like hella chlorine, and had hair the consistency of straw.
We were rivals with another high school not too far away, and there was no better feeling than beating them.

What position fam? Outside Centre or Fullback here

Were you a long distance or sprinter? Also what strokes?

So you made it to the top 6? That's pretty sick, did you get lots of poon?

Football and lacrosse.
Captain of football as a senior
"Training" wasnt difficult if you werent a lil bitch
No real rivalries in that regard, but it did matter what sport made it further in the league/state

Nice. Scrum-half, Wing or Fullback dawg

>football and hell yeah it was fun, be 6'4" and 275 lbs as a sophomore
>training was difficult, coach had us lifting and running till we puked
>lots of rivalry since we were a perennial playoff contender for our division

A chop block ruined my right knee. I miss the cartilage.

I qualified for nationals in high school running track 800m and ran D3 college Freshman and Sophomore year. Track girls are great but as a sport it's rough and its really easy to lose interest running 11months a year.

>scrum-half
oh boy try not to get injured from the late tackles

>Cliché time
Im gay lmao, so no poon but a whole lotta dick

I started my first year as sixth seed and ended senior year at 3rd, the top two guys were just something else, the only reason I could compete with them was my serve had backspin and was really fucking hard to receive, but my rallies were garbage lmao

I get at least one a game, feels real nice

fuck, is it true lots of colleges in america are starting to recruit foreigners (esp eastern euros) for their rugby teams?

Climbing team. Not a big rivalry, since it tends to be a more casual friendly competition, but damn it's a difficult sport. Still do it, by the way.

indoor or outdoor?

I played school shooting team. Training was a bitch because it was lead by the jrotc instructor so we spent half the time PTing even though it's just fucking shooting. Rivalry between teams was nonexistent, you just wanted to beat your friends nobody cares what some stranger scores

I swam Fly and Back. Also, Fuck distance

I played football, I was a left guard. Training was difficult because we ran a hurry up offense (suppose to tire out the defense we'll we were well conditioned). The rivalry between teams was usual, always hyped up. The rivalry between teammates was retarded. I went to HS with a bunch of kids who mooched off of mommy and daddy. The parents would call/email the coaches about playing time, even offered them money just to see their kid play.

Actually, I'm from the UK. But I've been to trials to come abroad to play in Murica and I was good enough supposedly, but they asked for a lot of money. I think they send lots over

Both, but I'm in NH, so I'm not climbing outdoor when there's a foot of snow outside.

Football and wrestling in high school.
We have a pretty big cross town rival.

The wrestling training was harder than football.

I had a blast doing it, I think most people should play a competitive sport at lease once in their lives.

I also know people who live in the same area as me who are at college in America just to play Soccer and Tennis

>fly
I always sucked at this. Got mad respect for anyone who can swim fly especially short distance, that shit is tiring as fuck

Provided they can afford it

Wrestling is fucking tough, at what weight did you wrestle?

hockey and rugby
solid rivalry in rugby always had fun training and some of the games were my best memories

HS bowling team AMA

I was on the varsity bowling team
no joke
it was fun enough I guess, we won county 3 times in a row and almost won state
learning to bowl's pretty easy
rivalry was barely a thing

I was distance primarily doing free, back, and IM. Overall I regret doing swimming. It was really boring to stare at the bottom of a pool and a clock. Most of the people really cared about it but they didn't like it. It was as if they didn't really know anything else to do with their lives.

I did distance track and that was my favorite. I wish I had done cross country as well. It was fun and I enjoyed the people. They also enjoyed their sport as well.

would you say rugby was harder?

I played Defensive end in high school.
I play defensive end in college right now. I'm just a freshman tho. We had training camp in alabama. Usually we had a 6am shell practice and then a 3pm full contact practice on turf when it is above 100 degrees.

HS soccer and lacross
College soccer

Training wasn't bad if you kept up year round. Kids who take time off pay big time at the start of the season. At my peak I had my mile time under 4:30 and could squat 2x bodyweight.

Rivalry was fun, we had a couple teams we hated but no real off field shenanigans. Lacross was awesome every game felt intense but afterwards everyone was friends. I hear rugby has something similar... brotherhood of sport or some such feeling.

Best was the team, we traveled together, pranked each other, got hazed for accomplishments and then passed on the tradition. I miss road tripping...

>high school baseball first base
>not at all bc back then i was in shape
>there was no rivalry between my team mates bc we were all a team

Swimming freshman to senior year, made states in all years for medley 200 relay, 400 medley relay, and for individuals I made sophomore to senior year for 100 breast, 100 free, 200 free.
Also did wrestling off season junior and senior year and made it to quarters at states for 152, senior year.

nice man. I bet there was loads of pussy that night for the TD

austin has the finest bitches man it's dope

htx here, strugglin

I played soccer in H.S. we ran a lot, we were all stoners. all the spics cared, I didn't

oh yeah forgot to mention the rivalries were fierce. I played football in atlanta in high school and usually kids from our school and our rival school would get in fights the week leading up to the game and during the game. fun shit

Also did the 500 senior year but I chose not to swim that at states cause my club team coach wanted me to do the 200 free

i seriously dont know how you manage, i remember in PE when it was too hot i couldnt fucking stand playing football with all that gear

honest question, do you roid?

Actually, Austin sucks now. it's overloaded. Rent is insane. Traffic is fucking crazy. Tons of wannabes here.

How is Houston?

>soccer player squatting 2x body weight
soooo... 320 pounds?
most of the linemen where I play can squat about 600 or 700 pounds and can run a mile in under 7 mins. But in football no one cares about mile time. It's all about 5-10-5 times.

did you get in any of those fights?

I wrestled in college.

Heavyweight. In Ohio at the time hwt stopped at 285 and I weighed 245 during wrestling season so I could weigh in wearing my street clothes. Suck it everyone that had to make weight.

I don't roid. You just get used to the heat. In high school its the toughest most badass kids from a student body of 2,000 plus. and in college its the 120 biggest, fastest, strongest kids that the coaches can get to come to the school. So heat really isn't an issue. It's just kind of a thing. not good or bad, just a thing you feel.

Thanks, my coach put me on it my freshman year, and I hated it for 3 years, and then grew to love it my senior season

nah. I'm not really a fighter outside of football.
I know a school we played had 3 shootings at football games that year. They had a player who had an ankle monitor from being on house arrest and he still played.

Yeah I agree, the fitter you are the easier it gets to tolerate

so some of your oponents had 40lbns on you?

Nice trips

Played Corner/WR for my HS football team. Training was a bitch, usually got home around 6-7 pm with still a fuck ton of homework to do, but the sport itself was intensely fun. Lots of screaming, yelling, adrenaline, and crying. Yes, crying. Lots of chemistry between teammates since everyone had to pick each other up. Overall, had fun with football in HS. Seasons over, so don't see myself doing it in college.

yeah. during camp we have to weigh in before and after practice and after a 150 minute practice people typically lost 5 or more pounds. we had to drink a lot of fluids.

4 years varsity football all conf.
all-state wrestler.
U-19 USA national rugby team.
practice was hard always. nothing body couldnt take.
5'9 200lbs at 8% BF back then.
Now my body hurts a lot. lost about inch im height, overweight 30lbs. pain and gain for little reward besides bragging rights, popularity and girls.
happily married now. 27.
sports are cool. but it takes a toll

Snowboarding. Though not on a team or anything. Just lived at the base of a mountain .

Also taekwondo and karate

man i remember my last high school game. I cried so fucking hard. You've never seen 6 foot 3 215 pounds cry this hard.

I played rugby in HS and still play it in college. Training isn't bad once you get used to it and your body is fit enough.

Rivalries can get pretty bad. Some teams are wholly made up of cunts. Pic related me getting decked by one of the cunt teams. Good times.

I was a cheerleader for my last two years of high school. It was a great time, I was too short to be a back-spot (the part that gets to squeeze the most ass) though. I was the only guy on the team too.

>snowboarding
literally chad sport

I played hockey, golf, bball, baseball and football. Hockey was the most fun.

R.I.P

I dunno if it counts but I was an intermural boxer in college.
Training was hard as fuck. Lots of people washed out in the first month every year.

For those of you that actually have kids, what are your feelings on letting them play sports? I've never done an actual sports team other than little league baseball before middle school.

that's pretty awesome, I can imagine how difficult it must be, bet it got you fit as fuck tho

in high school i played offense, defense, and special teams. my senior year i had 4 games where i didn't come off for a single play.
getting rolled up on is the fucking worst.

For a while yeah. I'm pushing 30 and a fat fuck now. I wish I'd kept up with the training, but I couldn't afford a gym membership. Protip kids, graduate college.

non-american here
what's a special team and what does getting rolled up on mean?

Let them, we should stop being pussies about athletics in America. I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd encourage them to do a sport if they wanted. Also note, I did the weird sports like fencing and climbing. Still climb and ski, though the latter was never on a team.

special teams = kickoff, kick return, field goal, punt, punt return. Anything that isn't your standard offense/defense.
rolled up on is when you are in a pile after a tackle or after being blocked and a big ass 300 pound lineman rolls on your limb(s)-usually your ankle. The nastiest injuries happen that way, because multiple giant humans are forcing your knee/ankle/hip/whatever in a direction they're not supposed to go.

I played corner back high school and walked on for a d1 school(not a major program) in college for 2 years in TX. I never played in a game once, it was against one of those teams that they pay 500k to come get beat.

Training in highschool was pretty easy, i played soccer too, so i never really got out of shape in the off season. Little bit more intense in college, it probably would have been and lot harder if they actually expected anything out of me. I also could have taken it a lot more seriously, not that i could have gone pro or anything.

I feel like there was more internal rivalry in college because people were competing to play on Sat, i didn't really feeel a lot of it because i was white and pretty far down on the list, but those WRs were fucking nuts at practice, they would do anything to make themselves look good during drills

I was fun for a while, and it was a nice way to stay in shape during sophmore and junior year, but it got to be too much of a time commitment once my classes started to get harder/more time consuming. Plus i never really got to play, so it wasn't really a hard decision to give it up.

You would probably be surprised at how normal a lot of the guys were. Most of us knew out "career" wasn't going anywhere, so they, for the most part, had to work to get a degree and have a normal college life.

It's a healthy thing to do. It teaches them teamwork, how to exercize in general, socializing, etc. I would treat it almost as importantly as a class in school. I really just helps develop you as a functional human being in ways that traditional school classes can't. I'm thankful for my parents making me do some kind of sport most of my school years even though I wasn't stellar at all of them.

Played football in HS, was an all-state running back. Training wasn't too bad, practice 6 days a week and lifting 4x a week.

Currently on my college's offshore sailing team. Practice 3-5 days a week, drink at the team house 7 days a week. Its pretty chill. I lift and do cardio 5x a week on my own because I'm commissioning after graduation this May

sounds dangerous man
is this done on purpose to injure? and it's awesome that you played 4 games without coming off but i bet that took a toll on your body

I did wrestling, it was fucking amazing man, it was so much fun. Just an hour and a half of doing what you love is honestly a great feeling. Training was difficult as fuck, because they have to get you conditioned so you can go all-out for 1 on 1 on 1 matches. There was actually almost no rivalry, because everyone saw each other as someone that made the right decision when choosing their sport.

I play at a D3 school, because they gave me a 23k er year scholarship and more than 70% of their pre-health students go on to med school (i'm pre-med).
I play D-End and the linemen and D-linemen get nasty in the trenches.

you going to the navy?

Football
It was fun at times but more rewarding than anything.
Very difficult
A lot between a few certain teams. Not so much player to player.

Rugby. Very tough sport, much tougher than gridiron, the pussy version of my sport. I trained my full body, squats, deadlifts, bench press, and the overhead press were my 4 main lifts. Rivalry was huge.

>the linemen and D-linemen get nasty in the trenches.
nasty how?

That wite boi in the pic is kneeling in protest of his peoples crimes against blacks. You crackas need to follow his lead.

it's usually not done on purpose, but some teams do it on purpose, usually triple option teams. A good example is georgia tech (college team). they cut block (block you by diving at your legs and chopping you down) and when they miss they roll on the ground to try and clip your ankle or something.
yeah the 2nd to last game my senior year in high school I dislocated my shoulder. I had to get it popped back in on the sideline then I had to get my arm tacked down to my side during halftime and I played the 2nd half.

>inb4 "wrestling's not a real sport"

Lol Shaun King is white.

meh, american football is the pussy version of rugby. Still fun, but football players thinking they can do well in rugby and getting their asses whooped always makes me laugh.

Also note, there's nothing quite like being in 8th grade, barely over five feet tall, and being expected to go against a former national champion in saber.

have you played against georgia tech?

He's kneeling because he wants attention. If that nigger gave a fuck about his people he would get off his knees and do something that really helps. He's lazy. Lazy nigger, whodathunk?

lots of shit talking, pass rush drills get really heated. and it's just the nature of being less than a yard away from the same person for most of the game.
Linemen are the nastiest players on the field, just you don't see a lot of what they do on TV because it's really close quarters so you can't see the punches and shit they throw.

you talking about american football? here we call it gridiron, or are you talking about real football?

I'd encourage my kid to do a sport, but i wouldn't be that dad that forces my kid to do the sport i did when i was in high school.

Mostly football some baseball for fun. Enjoyed football fun times. We all got along. Worked out which I enjoyed. Loved hitting people and getting hit with pads. Go do it op it's fun

Yup. Got guaranteed flight school after OCS, I wanna fly either E-2s or P-8s

nah. I just grew up a University of Georgia fan, so I always watched the UGA vs. GT game.

shit dude, linemen are heavy too, if you play d-end you probably get targeted a lot. whats ur height and weight?

yeah, american football. parents immigrated from England, so my dad taught me and my friends some rugby. We invite some gridiron friends to play, even the top players, and we still beat their asses hard.