WTF? I hate Star Trek now

WTF? I hate Star Trek now

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3680060/George-Takei-says-s-unfortunate-Sulu-character-played-Star-Trek-decades-depicted-openly-gay-latest-movie-directors-wanted-honor-LGBT-activism.html

Other urls found in this thread:

latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-china-telescope-20160706-snap-story.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Didn't Sulu end up getting married and having a kid? She was in the Generations movie.

Dude is based as fuck.

Simon Pegg is such a little faggot.

>in honor of George Takei, we're making Sulu gay
>>actually, i'd prefer if you didn't make him gay. keep true to Roddenberry's vision
>fuck off old man, Sulu's gay whether you like it or not

What did we expect, he is British and it is 2016. Come on.

doesn't mean he wasn't gay
i mean, your dad had you

Why don't people see his problem with this? He was a gay man at the time and he would have been burned at the stake if he said he was gay back then. Now it's just a shtick to have the character gay. It's really disrespectful for the actor to just have it written now Sulu is gay.

It seems so forced, and unnecessary. The character getting treatment that meant to be "honorable" comes off as a cash grab in a way. Like fuck you for making Sulu a gay character now when it's for some reason in the world that it's right. When 50 years ago it would get someone shamed and unemployable.

I'm not even a Trek fan at all and and side with Takei.

>he is British and it is 2016
Bit unfair, it's not like Yanks and their Hollywood shit aren't peddling this nonsense.

>Takei, who played the character for years in the original TV series, married his partner Brad Altman in 2008 and his an LGBT activist

>and his an LGBT activist

If it's necessary to the character, I see no issue. If they're just forcing it for some right-on reason then it's just silly.

Its kinda insulting, its implying the one thing that defines Takei and is worth honoring about him is that he is gay. Its just forced diversity at its finest. George Takei really said it best, just fucking create a new character thats gay.

You couldn't find this story anywhere else? You had to give the Daily Mail traffic?

Name a famous British actor who's openly conservative.

Michael Caine

Vinnie Jones is. Michael Caine is. Sean Connery used to be before shilling for SNP.

Julian Fellows and Steven Berkoff are.

Barlow, Ken Barlow is a Tory and Joan Collins, Ronnie Corbet RIP, Dominic West.

Regardless, WTF has this got to do with anything? It's your own fucking film industry driving this shit.

>just fucking create a new character thats gay.

>We could have introduced a new gay character but he or she would have been primarily defined by their sexuality, seen as the ‘gay character,’ rather than simply for who they are and isn’t that tokenism?
>~Simon Pegg

so basically he can't just make a new character gay because he can't write a new character.

thank you George. I was saying this the other day and people got on my case about it.

Sulu is already the token Asian, so making him gay isn't exactly building on a rich foundation.

I hope it flops now and Simon Pegg is cast out of Hollywood.

Who gives a shit?

its bad enough to see that Pegg thinks he HAS to add a gay character to the mix somehow... I hope he is barred from the writing room for any movie after this... assuming that this isn't going to be the killing blow to the jj trekverse, which it probably is

Why didn't Pegg make his own character a homosexual if he's so determined to push this agenda?

Stop replying to me I don't like facts.

Good point.

the funny thing is... takei as an actor was playing a character. the way he talks is nothing like sulu. so this assfuck can say the character's gay all he wants... but unless he's videographing in feather boas... why does this even make a difference to you?

Fucking love Dibnah me

Sad he's gone. Made some really comfy TV

Based Takei

>hating gays

Hello redd.it

He had a Jap waifu in TAS

Does he fondle the breast?

It's a huge paper, a few paedophiles on an online forum aren't going to significantly effect the amount of site traffic

Damn Takei just blew everyone the fuck out.

I was on the fence about this one because it looked pretty bad but now there's no chance I will see it. Takei doesn't even like it.

Takei kamikazed that Britshit faggot!!!!!!

Hory fook!

> people are already righting bullshit articles about how this the first LGBT Trek character
So Dax never happened? None of that 'people who knew him as a man now have to deal with him being a young woman' and Sisko calling him old man? Or his wife coming back and them having an on-screen kiss? The uproar it caused and it being editted out by some stations?

>Pegg and Abrams
>not being total hacks that are completely clueless about source material
pick one and only one.

>1
British Conservatism is closer to the Democrats than the Republicans tho

Not really. It's just America has a warped political spectrum.

>

>people thought Sulu was meant to be gay in TOS
>turns out that it was just Takei's gayness showing through
So basically Abrams is calling him a lousy actor.

>when real life gays don't fit your gay agenda

>keep true to Roddenberry

I'd rather castrate myself than ever have to witness anything relating to the "legacy" of Roddenberry.

He was the type of faggot who would pull something like this, shit Sulu was created for diversity, Takei was cast because he was Asian.

I said it earlier, I'll say it again: Where were Takei's hot opinions when he was getting a free ride?

Fucking talentless loser. I wish he'd just fuck off and die already. Nobody will mourn him.

Dax was never trans* and if you think xe was, do yourself a favor and research trans* issues. Trans* people have a set gender identity which doesn't match their body. A bodyswapping gender neutral symbiont is a completely different kettle of sausages and doesn't speak to trans* issues in any way whatsoever.

The ONLY instance in Star Trek where trans* issues were explored was Turnabout Intruder, which was btw extremely offensive.

Roddenberry wanted a diverse multicultural cast though as he felt it resembled a closer unity of Earth's people in its exploration of space, which is why we have Uhura, Sulu, Scottie and Chekov.

He literally created these characters for that reason, not some tokenism nonsense.

You'd know what opinions reddit aligns with, wouldn't you?

/r/FriendSafari is damn useful for working around such a stupid gimmick. Kill yourself, Gamefreak

what diversity? if you wanted to create an accurate depiction of space in the future, it would wholly controlled / created by Asians. it is Asians who are innovating both in Asia & in the West. Go to any R&D lab in the US and look at the racial makeup of the people there.

Look at the scale of the things that china is building (this is the size of 30 football field)
latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-china-telescope-20160706-snap-story.html

what if takei was the lead instead of shatner? better or worse?

like, if they switched roles.

i would buy his fighting skills more because asians know kung fu. personally think he was better looking than shatner. shatner's acting was ridiculously bad.

but, i didn't like star trek at all.

good thing the star trek movies suck ass anyway, might as well make the whole crew fags

"Sulu" cannot be rendered in Japanese syllabary

Please explain

Japan, Philippines, it's all the same.

Sulu was born in San Francisco. He's not in any way culturally Asian, and is just a generic officer who was written specifically to be Asian for no other purpose other than to be Asian, because like you said, for diversity.

The irony of diversity and unity is that it's culturally abhorrent. Look at the United States. What culture exists in that shitstain?

If you want to write an Asian character, cool, no problem with that, but not if he's just an American with slit eyes. Doesn't have to be a hardcore racial stereotype like in the Roger Moore Bond films, but the characters should at least actually BE Asian.

But that's the new thing. Culture is a cancer now. We should all assume Starfleet's directive, move to the Bay area, and become raging homosexuals in search of more planets to infect with our rampant metaphorical faggotry.

Roddenberry supported cultural imperialism, and his creation reflects it. The world shouldn't have immigrated to America, it should've revolted against it's own tyrants and kept it's identity.

>inb4 lol Sup Forums plsgo

You seem remarkably angry.

>Sulu was born in San Francisco.
So was Bruce Lee. Are you saying he's doesn't represent Asian culture?

This is why real fans disregard the JJPeggTrek garbage.

And George is fucking awesome as always.

>Chinatown
>San Francisco

Reaching awfully far on that one, not to mention he wasn't actually raised in San Francisco, or as an American.

>HE SHOULD DIE FOR NOT FORCING PROGRESIVENESS ON EVERYONE

Liberals are so good-natured and tolerant.

But Sulu wasn't meant to be culturally Asian, just a representation of Asia, which is why he's of Japanese heritage.

Maybe you should clam down, Simon.

Nice counterpoint. It'd be convenient if you were literate, but then I might actually get a conversation out of someone.

maybe what he should have done is just make one of the other characters gay. or just make new gay characters. or bi, or transgender.

he's implying that takei, a gay actor, can't play a straight role. i'd understand if george was insulted.

I wish I was Simon Pegg. He's pretty attractive, and clearly making bank.

If he wasn't meant to be culturally Asian, and meant to be culturally American but just happen to have genetics from a different race, exactly like Takei, then that's no better than writing and casting a character just to have someone of African descent.

Doesn't actually reflect the culture, or heritage, just looks like someone from there. That is the definition of racism because it's acting based purely on race, an otherwise negligible aspect of a person.

Sulu could have been a person. He could have been a character, with well written dialogue and an interesting backstory filled with rich history.

If your definition of Asia is "that place with gooks", you're the problem. Sulu in no way represented Asia. His only identity is the racial qualities of his person, qualities that in no way represent Asia.

Most sjw's haven't seen DS9 or were even old enough to have seen it when it aired on TV.

>Simon Pegg
>attractive

There is a B in LGBT.

There were bisexual characters in DS9.

Claiming that this is Star Trek's first LGBT character is bisexual erasure.

A truly disgusting move from Pegg and Hollywood, I tell you what.

You're applying modern day thought to an industry that was incredibly backwards thinking in the 60s.

No wonder you're getting so mad at this, you silly strawmannning child.

writers for these things are often not fans of the source material. it's possible he just didn't know about that jaxdia or whatever.

But if anybody here has a Twitter account then they should send Pegg some angry tweets over this.

Bisexual erasure is a real and serious issue, and Pegg could get into some trouble with the progressive community over this.

It's worth a shot.

>Simon Pegged

>Takei, who played the character for years in the original TV series, married his partner Brad Altman in 2008 and his an LGBT activist
>Captain Sulu will have a husband a child in the latest Star Trek movie

Jesus Christ how does this get past anyone? Does no one proofread? I mean how does thi-

>.uk

Nm makes perfect sense