An artist's sell-out album gets spammed on Sup Forums the most

>an artist's sell-out album gets spammed on Sup Forums the most

just a reminder that you're sharing the board with a big crowd of poptimists in denial and alt-normies who may only not visit reddit just because Sup Forums said it's not cool

I mostly just come here to talk shit. Most Sup Forums core and pop and hip-hop don't appeal to me.

I know this is bait but come on Money Store was their first album

>Exmillitary

popular album = sell out album

how dense are you

that was a mixtape

so?
its still an LP

those are quite literal sell-out albums in compare to what was before them

it wasn't a studio release, though. Money Store was their first album.

so?
its still an LP

I know you just want to start an argument to bump this meme thread.
OP mentions specifically albums, and Money Store was their debut album.

>being this picky

>tfw your sell-out album is your first one
feels bad man

if the money store came out before exmilitary, exmilitary would be viewed as a sell out album. it's much more accessible lol

>implying art angels is a sellout album
user, don't be dumb. aa is still same genre (synthpop) and she always liked pop music.

ignorant

user, artists "sell-out" when they sacrifice creative control to amorphous entities (such as record labels) in exchange for money/wider distribution. No sacrificing of creative control, no selling out.

i like how the grimes fangirl comes in and has a problem with that album only.

as if it has had an impact on anything other than grimes fans.

>what did she mean by this

i don't know, but that is what i was kind of asking indirectly

any insight?

>alt-normies
can confirm im here

>i like how the grimes fangirl comes in and has a problem with that album only.
>as if it has had an impact on anything other than grimes fans.
it had, some people who didn't like her previous albums did like this one, for example Fantano
also lots of her fans didn't like this album

In what way?

There is literally nothing wrong with poptimism. It literally means to judge music based on its musical quality whilst ignoring things like how it was produced and marketed, as opposed to rockism which is based around taking into account irrelevant factors such as whether or not the music was written by the person performing it, and whether it adheres to an "album structure" or not.

>any insight?
No, as in your post ( ) is a tautology, and therefore makes no sense. Of course a rabid Grimes fan is gonna comment on the Grimes aspect of the thread specifically. EXACTLY like how the DG fan ( ) is gonna comment on that. Why are you feigning obvion to such obvious things?

what in the fuck are you even talking about, that's not what either of those things mean

Except for classical threads Sup Forums is kinda garbage. Very few people are putting the basic bottom-level critical thought into what they like. It's just cool bcuz it's a meme or Sup Forums sez so. I've been here for five or so years and it has always pretty much been this way in some iteration or another. It's good to get your bottom level education in pop music, but once you've gotten past that, you're better off going to shows and getting normie friends.

there's nothing wrong with making music more conventionally enjoyable, there's not even necessarily anything cynical about it
it's not the same as selling out. go back to your le rallizes dememes or whatever avanttrash you gullible twat convinced yourself is "authentic"

what's your point
obviously the only people an artist's work has impact on is their fans

except pop music is the same rehashed cheap sonic thrills and only manages to present anything of interest a couple of times per year

classical threads are too contrarian, and they are only interested in what obscure name to which they can say they listen. The only decent thread I have experienced on Sup Forums was a noise thread for a split second before it devolved into banality.
Sup Forums is less about discovering and enjoying new music than it is about butting heads and stroking dicks over what seems cool.

cheap thrills are still thrills
poptimists realize they're not somehow "above" anyone else, or above tried and true methods that are used to maxumum efficiency in this type of music

t. rockists

>an artist's sell-out album isn't actually their sell-out album

except that's literally not what those things mean you retard

Except that's literally what both of them essentially mean you rockist.

Lazy people listen to music just for what it sounds like. Stupid people listen to music for reasons other than what it sounds like. Non lazy/stupid people listen to music for both reasons at the same time, because they aren't lazy/stupid.

like what reasons?

>Who made it
>Who performed it
>What "genre" it is
>The original intention behind its creation
>What particular chords, scales, instruments it uses to arrive at its sound
>How it subjectively makes you (the listener) feel

Non lazy/stupid people practice all of the above modes of thought (and more) when listening to music.

Strawberry Jam was more of a sellout than MPP

>What particular chords, scales, instruments it uses
no, this falls 100% under "for what it sounds like"

Except it wasn't

>alt-normie
dumbest thing ive read all fucking morning. please recommend me your fav. wine

DUDE ALCOHOL LMAO

Strawberry Jam is less accessible than Sung Tong's happy folk melodies or Feels. Purple Bottle literally feels like car commercial music.

A Dm7 chord (D F A C) is actually just a FMadd6 chord in third inversion (D F A C). Similarly a C major scale is actually just a D Dorian mode scale which starts on the 6th scale degree. And a Euphonium is actually just a tenor tuba disguised under clever marketing.

Such distinctions are arbitrary and have nothing directly to do with determining what music actually sounds like.

I personally think that The Purple Bottle is a bit overrated, but it's definitely not car commercial music. What car commercials are you listening to?

Anyways, I don't think MPP was much of a sellout album. They were naturally approaching that sound anyways, and it wasn't even their first record Domino, which I suppose one could see as a "sellout" label.

"Sellout", as it's used on Sup Forums is just a buzzword used to describe poppy albums that you don't like

Only Art Angels had any mainstream visibility...
MPP and TMS are music for internet autists.

apparently it had an impact on you too: a negative one. it made your reacting like a jerk.

if any AnCo record is sell-out its Strawberry Jam. Accesible doesnt mean its sell out

Selling out is kind of a silly concept in such a fast-paced and oversaturated culture of disposability.

Every artist these days who isn't Beyonce or Jay-Z is catering, to a certain extent, to a niche audience. We don't ask artists to make their sounds more accessible, anymore; mostly because there's almost always another artist already doing a more accessible version of whatever it is the artist's doing.

Not true btw
All three albums are normie-friendly

In what world MPP has no mainstream visibility? It sounds like The Beatles or The Beach Boys with synths.

Sometimes the accessible popular album is really good, though.

>car commercial music
Dude, you have to go outside sometime.

>deluded alt-normie