Who is the greatest actor of his generation and why is it Terry Greene?

Who is the greatest actor of his generation and why is it Terry Greene?

Anyways, I'm going to do this.

stupid namefag

But can you do this?

Let's talk big boy stuff.

That's it.

good job

Great job.

While Blade Runner was the superior movie, Total Recall did a better job at creatingthe question of what was real or not.

No it didn't. The entire movie from the point he went to Recall and got in the machine was a false memory. Arnold Schwarzenegger is the ultimate unreliable narrator because he cannot distinguish between reality and fantasy.

I also found out that I am the only one at work that has seen Blade Runner and the only other person that has seen Apocalypse Now thought it was boring. I was legitimately upset.

>how to be a ponce

>He thinks an unreliable narrator ultimately discredits the story

It literally does.

What an unreliable narrator is is a narrator whose credibility is seriously compromised to the point where you have to question the story itself as being true. In the case of a narrator who is unreliable through madness (and I would argue that Quaid falls into that category) cannot be trusted to the point that the story itself can be dismissed as a fiction that they themselves do not know is fiction.

Take Patrick Bateman for example. The whole time he is going around murdering people and causing general mayhem. Then at the end you find out that none of it happened and that Bateman himself hallucinated the whole scenario. So the entire preceding story is discredited.

first

Oh, don't get me wrong. I still really enjoy Total Recall. Just because the story is essentially a fantasy of Quaid's and can't be taken seriously within the context of the film itself, doesn't mean I don't like it.

You do know that the events aren't a hallucination in Total Recall? The service plants the scenario in you memories as a whole. What you watch is either the events as they unfold, or the entire scripted event as Arnie remembers it. Ultimately, the choice is are you watching a movie, or is it a movie in a movie. The only information given about that is the choices of his memory trip lining up with the events, which can be argued to be subconsciously chosen by the repressed memories of being a spy; and the individual claiming to be an image put in to pull him out, which is ultimately false due to how the program works, so it falls on either being pre-planned as part of the story inserted into his mind or the enemy preying on the chance that Arnie doesn't understand the way it works.

Ben Affleck, best actor of ALL generations

I didn't say it was a hallucination, it's an implanted memory, basically yeah, a movie that is implanted into Quaid's mind that casts him as the protagonist. In the reality of the film Quaid is sitting in a chair in a room and his unconscious is being shown a movie, which I think adds another level to the movie pushing it from just your run of the mill crappy 90s action movie to being an actually intelligent piece of fiction that is playing with one of the more difficult conventions of storytelling.

So yeah, it's a movie within a movie sort of deal, only Quaid doesn't realize it.