Just finished watching TD first season (and it was fucking great)

Just finished watching TD first season (and it was fucking great)

Is the second one as bad as some people say, is it even worth?

The second one is nowhere near as bad as people say. It's good television, but nothing like season 1. Give it a watch, but only with the thought in mind that it is nothing like season 1.

season 2 is better only redditors with shit taste think it's bad

>tfw rust and his dad never came into contact with an elder horror

>did she sug ur dig
>what the fug

It's decent but don't expect to be "grabbed" like the first one. This one tries to grab you but never quite makes it.

>Havent you had enough?
>Takes another shot

>Im only doing this to your dad because you cut up my kids J's

>I had to leave... my past behind

And thats just in the first episode

agreed user.

This

Season 2 would have gotten more positive praise if it hadn't been overshadowed by one of the best miniseries ever made, season 1.

Season 2 is still quite good though.

>Sup Forums rushes to s2's defense because everybody else hated it
If it wasn't universally panned you contrarian fucks would shit all over it

Fuck off Carter

People aren't saying it's great, just that it's not the worst thing ever made.

Don't you remember when it was airing? Everyone hated it with a passion.

I definitely liked certain episodes and scenes, but NONE of the characters are likable. So a lot of it feels pretty hollow. They took the entire cast and gave them the attitude and nihilism that Rust had and it just does not work. The setting is boring compared to the first season, the crime being investigated is boring, and ultimately the ending is very unsatisfying. A large portion of the cast dies and the one remaining basically says "this is way to big for me, I'll take the info I've got and maybe give it to some other people who can deal with it some other time." Frankly it is too big for them, the story is very convoluted and hard to follow because they tried to make it bigger then just 2 cops like S1 had.

Watch it if you're bored, but know that it does not achieve season 1's extremely surprising greatness.

I disagree, they were all likable or they became likable by the end. Gay cop was a veteran of a shitty war who just wanted to ride a motorcycle for the rest of his life, torn apart by the ideal of being a good man and being who he really wants to be. The scene where he finds that his mother wasted the money he made in Iraq was heartbreaking, really felt for him there.

Ray is an asshole, through and through. He doesn't care about the case at all, he;s a terrible father but as the season goes on he's REALLY trying to be a good father and continues on with the case because he knows it's the right thing to do.

Antigone I didn't really care about, but seeing her accept that not all men are as bad as her molester was great.

Frank was probably my favorite, seeing him take his life back in the second half of the season.

I'm only getting into Deadwood now and I have noticed a dip in season 2 (and it's way more vulgar, which I never liked about HBO).

However, it's miles ahead of any other television series that I've ever seen. I might need to rewatch season 2 of The Wire but I think Deadwood is easily the greatest series I've seen thus far.

>gay man tries to be straight but fails and learns to deal with it
>Shitty father tries earnestly to get his son's love and respect
>Woman overcomes the damage a man has done to her
>Mafia boss watches his organization fall apart around him before dying

Yeah I haven't ever watched anything with any of these storylines before. What a unique experience it was to watch. I never realized cops in Los Angelos had such a crazy life!

>what are archetypes

Nothing is original user

I'm not sure what you're saying. That the stories aren't original? That's not the point, it's how it is executed. And how it's executed is fucking great.

I'm responding to the statement that the characters became interesting and likable as the series went on and thats just not true in my opinion.

I liked the second season a lot more than it deserves. Like I said, I enjoyed many parts of it, but the reasons it falls flat is the boring characters driving the plot in an extremely overused setting.

Worth watching, just for this scene.
>Caspere knew this

its good tele kino. just not godlike as s1 was.

forget the true detective tag and you will be entertained - just not on s1 level.

Is you are a retard who keeps checking his phone every minute and not paying attention the you wont like it. The plot is not complex but there is a lot going on with it so you have to pay a lot of attention while watching. Plus Vaughn and Collin characters are fantastic. Other 2 are ok.

Only contrarians >muh cthulhu mythos in the Bayou don't like it.

It is not season 1 but its great in its own way.

Caspere knew this

>I'm responding to the statement that the characters became interesting and likable as the series went on and thats just not true in my opinion.

How is it not likable that Paul, despite not having any serious ties to Velcoro or Antigone, that he opts to try and kill Chief Holloway anyway? How is it not likable when Frank takes back his whole masculinity and life? How he really loves his wife? How is it not likable that Velcoro tries to get his son's love, etc.

Get back to work Alex, or watch this with your Dad.

I enjoyed the first series, employing Vince Vaughan and changing all the actors and adding a women, wtf would I watch the second series.

If you enjoyed TD for the "occult themes" and "existential red herrings", then you wont enjoy S2.

If you enjoyed TD for the acting, the complex detective work, then youll love S2.

S2 is the ultimate pleb filter.

Shut it midget

Season 2 is good, not as good as season 1 though. The fundamental problem with season 2 is that they had 4 main characters, it was too many to be as effective as season 1 was.

The second one is worse than people say

season 2 is not bad, but its not good either.

They completely butchered Vince Vaugns character. The writing was fucking abysmal for him.

Literally NOTHING happened for like the first 7 episodes. It was fucking miserable. The best part of the show was the the campy escape in the car rescuing girl from the party The gay cop shit was fucking stupid at the end. He is that afraid of coming out that he would rather put his life on the line? That whole scene of him in the subway is fucking abysmal. The shooters can't hit him like 10 feet away? Ray is whatever

It was a giant clusterfuck mess of nothing happening and when stuff did happen it wasn't interesting enough cause the characters were not that good

but nevermind

worst written dialogue i have ever witnessed, the only good character is revealed to be a faggot straight away.

Don't fall for the meme. S2 wasn't good.

Just rewatched season 1 recently. probably going to try at watching the second again soon.

It starts off fairly eh but builds up quite well. I found myself quite interested and invested by the end of it. However, the ending is pretty unsatisfying. Not enough to say to avoid it, but certainly enough to give warning about it.

>the complex detective work
Have you watched any of this show?

I really liked all the main performances in S2.

Caspere knew this

>the only good character is revealed to be a faggot straight away.
He ended up being a worthless character that did nothing at all. His death barely had any real relevance and his mom and girlfriend contributed nothing.