Ok Sup Forums, I have a serious question here...

Ok Sup Forums, I have a serious question here. I have a friend who became a cab driver a few months back and has done literally nothing but bitch about Uber since then. Meanwhile my other friend constantly taunts him because Uber is allegedly better.
Now, I have absolutely no opinion on this whatsoever. Cabs creep me out and I have never taken Uber because I have a car. But when I looked into what Uber was, I got confused. From my understanding, you use an app to tell it where to pick you up and it shows up. How is that any different than just calling a taxi company? I asked my cab driver friend and he just said "we're better, that's why" But he's obviously biased beyond belief, so I can't trust that. I checked and only ever found arbitrary differences. Ultimately they seem like the same damn service.
Enlighten me Sup Forums How are these different in any fundamental way? This doesn't even seem like a convenience thing, both appear to take the same amount of effort.

with uber you just deal with everything through your cellphone, you pay the company through your cellphone and set the destination and the place to start one it

while for taxi you have to talk to the driver, you need cash or to make sure his card reader works

Fuck your an idiot. It is the same service

/Thread.

Extra; uber is a shit ton cheaper then cabs since there's no taxiplate license fee etc etc. The pay rate on the surface also seems fair as the fair is almost always half of a taxi and driver gets 70-80%? Anyway uber is great until your car fucks up and you realise earning $10/hr profit isn't worth it when you need 3k for a new gear box

So it's really just the card reader then, which as far as I know, work near all the time

It's simple you input your location and destination it tell you how much your going to pay which taxi drivers usually don't tell you until end. The uber is automatically connected to your card so no need of hassle. So simply walk into the uber get to your destination and leave

also the face that there is no hassle with uber, you set everything before and just get in, put headphones in your ear and just go

but you can set directions on a phone call

also if you happen to travel abroad, many countries have very shitty taxi services, at least shitty cars. but ubers are always recent models.

Also u can request an uber pretty much anywhere u want, with a taxi u have to wait for one to drive by or look for their phone number and call them.

So smart phones don't have a web browser that can give you a cab number in a matter of seconds?

Depends if you can read Korean or not. How would you even know if you had found one?

yeah, but why search for the phone number of the closest cab company then wait for them to answer and give them the address when you can just request an uber which will be there in 5 mins? no matter how u look at it requesting an uber will be faster than calling a cab, even if by a few seconds

An uber can only pick up whoever made the request. Cabs on the other hand can pick up anyone if your not there

actually you can send the uber to a different direction, the app only tells you something along the lines of "you are tryin to request an uber to a location far from your current location, are you sure?"

Taxis should switch to Gett, and show some competition to convenience of Uber.

With uber's there's more of a possibility of someone jumping in the back while driving and stabbing you to death. Then using your dried blood as lube to fuck you in the ass.

uber is way better for the customer than getting a cab
cab drivers a moaning because they get less custom
uber is cheaper and easier to use, so cab drivers like your friend have become little bitches about it

What a waste of dubs.

Uber undercuts traditional taxis the same way airb&b undercut traditional hotels. By avoiding the taxes their established competitors are forced to pay.
Most licenced taxis have minimum requirements for staff, criminal record and competency checks etc whereas any cunt with a car can be an uber driver.
Uber also pay their drivers shit compared to regulated taxi drivers.
They're just another "sharing economy" bunch of crooks

I don't understand what you are trying to say? I mean that if you request an uber, it can only pick up you

im saying that no, they dont have to pick you up, u can send an uber to pick someone else somewhere else, ive done that several times

You can do that with cabs too

lol yes, but someone else thought u cant do that on uber

Ahhhh but isn't that only if you request that? Pretty sure a cab can pick up any random person that gets to them before you

Not what I was saying lol

If you call a cab, they will only pick up the person they are sent to. Plus, if you are in your own town, most cab drivers give you their personal card to call them whenever you need a ride. A lot do this while you're on an extended vacation too

They both are services to get you from point A to B

Uber/Lyft are cashless and the fare is presented to you on your smartphone before you even summon the ride. Unlike taxi drivers who are notorious for taking "the long way" to push up your fare. Plus you know who the driver is and what their rating is before they even come pick you up.

Think of all the negative aspects of a taxi, then get rid of them, that's uber/lyft

And a Uber/lyft car will never smell like curry and BO

Wont smell like a curry and BO

/thread

this

Must depend on the company cause I've had it happen plenty of times to me

You're asking modern kids to, gasp, TALK to someone? They'll have an anxiety attack and literally die right there!

This nigga gets it.

When I get on an Uber I try and make conversation. A driver was once happy that I actually wanted to have a conversation with him. Shit I even learned what batting averages from it.

Uber is much easier to use abroad than trying to call a taxi
Can you find the number easily with Google?
Yes

Can you then tell that person where you are?
Not necessarily, some countries don't label their streets very well or have completely bullshit street names, try saying laivanvarustajankatu with the proper sounds and stresses well enough for a car to show up.

Uber on the other hand just uses your GPS and bills you directly so it doesn't matter if you know where you are or how to speak the drivers language

A cab company would know landmarks well enough to find you. there is no benefit from just using Uber or just using a taxi. The service aspect is exactly the same. The only difference appears to be on the corporate side

You're a complete faggot

Depends on where you live.
Here in Denmark Taxi drivers have strict requirements (firstaid, etc), Uber drivers can potentially be anyone, they might not even be of age or have a license.

Get fucked you idiot. Referring to landmarks is great unless you're at some random house or area and/or struggle to speak the language.

I'll never catch a cab again if possible. Especially where I live where you can only order a taxi or get one from the rank - not allowed to flag one down.

Hey let's leave the pub it's getting late. Set up the uber in 3 seconds, live monitoring exactly where it is, get in and you're done. Fare split makes it even better. And it's cheaper! When uber it's came out I read an article about some stupid old cunt who'd bought a cab licence years ago for $200k and hoped it would be a retirement nest egg. Now it's worth nothing. I hope the stupid prick starves to death. Cancerous, over-regulated consumer fucking industry is killed and I'm glad. Fuck em.

To be fair, only an idiot would part with 200k for a retirement investment. I mean that was basically a retirement investment right fucking there

First off dubs checked

Secondly, fundamentally there is little difference between Taxi's and Uber, you are requesting a ride from a complete stranger to take you to your destination for a fee.

The one problem I have with shit like Uber, Lyft, etc is the surge pricing, you can find a shit ton of accounts on this. I live in San Diego, our taxi system is charged by distance traveled, i.e. the initial cost (usually around 2.50)+ the so much per mile (roughly 3.00). That fare does not change (the only exception is airport taxi's which are run by port authority, but prices usually comparable). Now on new years eve, a 10 mile cab ride will still cost me $30, the same as it would any other day, an Uber would cost me $300 (if you think I'm joking seriously google Uber surge pricing).

It's because of this that when I travel, I will always use a taxi service, I usually know where I am, and if I don't I am smart enough to figure it out. Don't get me wrong, I think that the whole ride share that turned profitable is a stroke of genius, and I think it's great that they saw an opportunity for business and took it. For me however, I'll use a cab.

>won't smell like curry and BO

Bullshit