Batman's Story Arc in Batman V Superman Dawn of Justice

Just finished watching BvS for the first time. Can someone please explain to me what Batman's character motivations and story arc were in the film?

I can understand why he would hate Superman because of the Battle of Metropolis destruction but for the life of me I don't get why he would want to go as far as to kill him considering that Superman had basically been saving people and being.. well.. a superhero for 18 months while Batman searched for the Kryptonite

>Inb4 2deep4u

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/67653434/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Batman was experiencing a nihilistic disillusionment in his heroic ideals after the Black Zero event and from that moment had become increasingly embittered and hardened. Superman giving his life to stop Doomsday restored his faith and his ideals.

It was meant to be a metaphor for post 9/11 disillusionment in America.

he had a bad dream

I understand that and I get that that's why he hated Superman but I dont see that as good enough reason for the goddamn Batman to decide to murder someone in cold blood

He doesn't trust aliens

Do you mean the knightmare sequence? So the disillusionment plus the knightmare pushed him over the edge? Did Batman realize that it wasn't just a dream and that the Flash was literally coming back in time to warn him about Superman?

He want to kill him in case he would go super-villain (like Zod), in that case, he would be unstoppable. Better prevent than cure.

I also thought that might be a valid reason.. in the sense that Superman is not even human so things like human rights and specifically the right to life dont really apply to him hence making it easier for Batman to choose to kill him instead of live under the potential threat of him going rogue one day.

But I stilll dont think that would be enough of a reason seeing as Batman is supposed to be one of the smartest men on the planet. Wouldnt it make sense to rather investigate Superman and try talk to him?

He dehumanized Superman in his mind

He's broken. To understand his character you have to take into consideration that he's disenchanted with Batman. He's experiences guilt because he feels like 20 years of fighting crime amounted to nothing, and he failed his parents, the reason why he became the Batman in the first place.
The Metropolis scene expands this idea of Bruce's fall from grace by showing how he lost his way (he steps into a smoke cloud and becomes disoriented, he walks past a horse walking aimlessly, hammering us with this idea of losing our way). This scene basically shows how he started hating Superman, when a cross-shaped beam (representing Gods being a danger for men) almost kills the little girl. Then he finds out she's an orphan too, so he projects himself in her, and stares at Superman with hate, basically blaming him for his parents' death which we still have fresh in our minds.

The last shot reveals Bruce’s company logo torn apart beside him, his ideals and optimism have been shattered by a world that has become too big to save.

Also the whole speech at Wayne Manor reveals that he feels that he isn't living up to his parents' legacy, and that he owes them, because he hasn't accomplished anything of value by being Batman for 20 years.

You can't tell a potential bad guy that you might kill him

No, fuck you. It was literally spelled out for you on at least two occasions.

he represents america after 9/11

To expand on the Martha scene:
You have this shift from Batman falling into despair because 'he let his parents die' to turning that into a positive condition ("I failed him in life, I will not fail him in death").

The bat-symbol is fantastically reinterpreted to stand for a child being pulled from the darkness, from the perspective of someone still in it. (Of course, in the Nolan film this shot is referring to, it was Bruce's father who pulled him out. Snyder replaces the literal father with an ambivalent light, and has Bruce pushed up from beneath).

“In the dream, they took me into the light, a beautiful lie.”

He specifically says that the dream was a beautiful lie because this dream represents the birth of Batman, the bats lifting him show that he found some hope in this bat image, but later became disenchanted after 20 years of fighting crime, that's the beautiful lie he's talking about. At this point in time, he believes that being Batman didn't amount to anything of value.

this, obviously, OP is playing dumb for attenchums

No I'm not. Batman's motivation is literally the only thing bugging me about BvS and I thought Sup Forums might give me a better understanding. Not everyone is a troll bruh

Don't forget Batman's speech about good guys turning bad.

I didn't clearly understand Luthor's plan for Batman. Nothing of that was needed. He could have only done the Doomsday/Superman plot and achieved the same result.

I see.. that makes sense. Can you guys explain why Batman viewed killing Superman as being "the only thing I do that matters. This is my legacy". Is it because he views killing Superman as saving the world from destruction in the future or is it just a rationalization to take out his anger and despair on Superman?

this

You mean Alfred's speech?

Oh sorry you mean when he was talking to Clark at the party. Got it

I guess what my confusion really all comes down to is struggling to accept that Batman didnt rather direct all his hatred towards Zod instead of Superman. I mean its clear for the statue and news report that people generally know and accept that Superman is a hero and I'm assuming they know that Zod was the one who technically caused most of the destruction.

So doe Batman's state of mind just make him overlook all of that?

And also wouldn't Batman realise that killing Superman leaves the Earth open to attacks from other aliens, since Superman is the only one with the power to defend the planet?

>DUDE ILLEGAL ALIENS LMAO

>forget to give batman a character arc
>forget to give lex luthor a motive
>forget to give superman a character arc

why was snyder trusted with half a billion dollars

>has hasn't seen the ultimate cut
It was WB's fault

>the week after the movie came out this board dissected everything major
>took months before other sites caught up
>the justice league synopsis proved all the pasta here correct

archive link?

>BUILD THE FUCKING WALL, FLASH!
>NO SENOR

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/67653434/

this thread had some of the first wave of what would eventually be or otherwise influence pasta, days after release. there are more.

>He's CIA
What he meant by this?

>IF THERE IS A 1% CHANCE SUPERMAN MIGHT BE BAD, I HAVE TO FIGHT HIM

Just retarded forced crap....literally worse than Anakin's reason for turning to the Darkside and joining Palpatine, and that is some pretty shitty writing to beat