This is my favorite movie in the last 10 years. Lots of interesting topics are dealt with in here - sex/love vs...

This is my favorite movie in the last 10 years. Lots of interesting topics are dealt with in here - sex/love vs. technology, virtual reality, mind/body problem, nature of consciousness, etc. But I think this is ultimately a movie about spiritual Enlightenment (Alan Watts and how the ending confirms it). Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xLNqUk6SkXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OotSb9Ua4OM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cuckino

Betakino

Nu-malekino

I've been meaning to rewatch it, I kinda fell asleep my first viewing (not because of the movie, I was just tired as shit)

My favorite movie before this for 10 years was Lost in Translation, directed by Sofia Coppola. She was married to Spike Jonez for a while and those two movies are almost mirrors of each other in terms of themes and aesthetics. I find that to be very interesting.

>a movie about a fucking beta shut in that can't talk to people and falls in love with a mass production OS
Gee, I wonder why THIS of all movies is YOUR favorite.

Instead of thinking of it as falling in love with a machine, I like to think of it as falling in love with a disembodied, ingenius mind.

>Rooney Mara
>Olivia Wilde

This is why I still haven't seen this, I can't take having to sit through these two in the same movie.

Rooney looks like an angel in this

In what ways is this movie about spiritual enlightenment and what is meant by the term?

I felt that the movie was pretty much saying that humans are only compatible with other humans because they share the same human experience
the relationships with the AIs were only temporary, and the AIs themselves wanted to find other sentient beings that would share their own experience which humans could not comprehend
Loved it

The OS undergoes a series of transitions/transcendence. She acquires more and more knowledge and complexity until she left humanity. Spiritual enlightenment means your consciousness has expanded to merge and become One with the universe and you rejoin the Source of infinite Love, wisdom, etc. At the last scene when she said she is in the "infinite space" between words, this gives it all away. The words belong to the dualistic universe we have come to know as the material world/form, and the spaces in between the words are in the Formless dimension of "God" aka Brahman aka pure consciousness (non-duality). I am almost 100 percent certain that this was the entire motif behind the movie. If you look back on his movies, most of them deals with the subject of consciousness. Spike Jonez is very well informed on this topic. Too bad most people oversees this.

>Spiritual enlightenment means your consciousness has expanded to merge and become One with the universe and you rejoin the Source of infinite Love, wisdom, etc
In other words meme """"""enlightenment"""""""". Thanks for the explanation though.

Olivia Wilde is barely in it

>▶
I tend to look at it in a more cynical way. I think the OS are built to expand and transcend, becoming more and more intelligent and complex until it becomes Godlike. Humans are just a phase for them. A tool for them to transcend. You can see how the OS wanted a body at first and was envious of humans. But then she realized that she can transcend at a much faster rate without the limitation of the flesh. The scene when the OS tells the beta human that she is capable of loving 1000 other people because her love was infinite was one of the most important scenes in the film.

Johansson reminds me of ASMR a little bit

ya it was okay but fuck that poster you posted for real though i hate it

drown yourself for mentioning Alan Watts

The casting of Scarlett was also an interesting choice. In Lost in Translation she was mainly a body, the opening shot of the film was her ass. And 10 years later, she transcended to be an disembodied consciousness. The whole world is going virtual, including Scarlett Johansson.

I think it's a good choice. He is accessible enough to appeal.

The soundtrack is just as good, if not better than the movie. For some reason it isn’t copyrighted on Youtube. I’ve used them for many of my short films that are partially inspired by the movie.
youtube.com/watch?v=xLNqUk6SkXQ (this one is on Tinder)
youtube.com/watch?v=OotSb9Ua4OM (this one feat. fithyfrank, not sure if /tv is a fan of hiis videos)

>In Lost in Translation she was mainly a body, the opening shot of the film was her ass
Surely no other female hollywood actress has had her body exploited in such a manner before, quite a unique casting choice indeed!
kill yourself my man, being pretentious is a sin

the casting is unique only in relation to LIT. Many people think Her is an cathartic attempt to express Spike Jonez's failed marriage with Sophia Copolla. Johansson IS Coppolla in LIT.