/prod/ - Music Production General

The Loop Digga edition

Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music production.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WIPs
>soundcloud for completed tracks

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/irb335ThCdo?t=130
clyp.it/cpd5qypb
clyp.it/xmfbrtcg
clyp.it/exnhx30p
clyp.it/wv1fp3u2
vocaroo.com/i/s0ZElk4tnJv6
clyp.it/nabohrja
clyp.it/mtjgt5uz
clyp.it/atmbn2v5
clyp.it/urpkrb0b
clyp.it/z04ylw33
clyp.it/lri1ydwc
clyp.it/0jbgpgcr
clyp.it/kwuvsh3p
clyp.it/devtin2t
theproaudiofiles.com/most-popular-mixing-articles-of-2016/
theproaudiofiles.com/20-most-popular-mixing-tutorials-of-2016/
clyp.it/jc04mcwb
clyp.it/ns3w3d32
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bumping with some oldYe:

youtu.be/irb335ThCdo?t=130

Bump skip to 2:10 for some fresh moves

B-b-b-b-bump

Anybody familiar with the Glyn Johns or Recorderman method of recording drums?

Have any recommendations for condenser mics for drum overheads?

clyp.it/cpd5qypb

should I continue this?
what can I improve on?

clyp.it/xmfbrtcg
most i could do without my daw crashing

Maybe add another melody on top of whats going on.
Sounds nice and futute garage-y through

clyp.it/exnhx30p
hope y'all brought marshmallows cuz dis bangers fire
For real though, what should I change on it?

god these threads are garbage

To me, the piano fill sounds horribly out of time and the melodic wood block at the start sounds kinda cheap
IMO

If your not going to explain, please do remove yourself from this thread you negative nancy

are most vst .dll portable? can i just cut it up and paste it into another computer? obviously it'll ask me for a serial and such, but most often, do they install anything other than that .dll?

if you had to run an installer, probably not

if you didn't though, then you might be able to just copy the dll

clyp.it/wv1fp3u2

Made a beat. Aiming for knxledge/dilla style, any criticism/advice is welcome.

vocaroo.com/i/s0ZElk4tnJv6

on windows you might need to export your registry .reg files also

thanks the feedback user. I always the the opposite. block being out of time and piano sounding cheap. I'll try to tweak them. maybe add chords to the piano

do any of you guys play instruments?

Guitar, piano.

>clyp.it/exnhx30p
I don't really like trap, but I thought the piano was a nice touch, strings are very nice also. They work surprisingly well with the whole thing.

Drums could do with the occasional ghost note (just leave out a kick every 4 or 8 bars) to make it sound a little less computer-y. Also the bass is annoying but that might just be me.

bumpy

IMO you should work on your drum rhythms & pitch shift your percussion instruments.

>clyp.it/xmfbrtcg
Not sure what you were going for, but it's a pretty good base for a track. Needs more instruments or something to make it more interesting, I liked the drums and the sound that plays after the kick is also really nice.

do you make beats?

clyp.it/nabohrja

Just uploaded. I'm aware of how rough this is,
but I'd still appreciate a bit of feedback.

thanks user. I originally started with less 808 hits. I'll use less of them, even I thought it was too much. same with the snare and clap.
>pitch shift your percussion
that's good idea man. I would've never thought of that. I'll keep practicing rhythm to make it bouncy.

fire up some heavy breakbeats 'n' chop em in maybe?

or add some more elements like some obscure ass sample (chopped) or a synth

finish this track dude, this has potential!

clyp.it/mtjgt5uz

one i made last night
post thoughts; positive and negative

I agree with !
The percussion is crisp, and the bass really grounds the airy synths and sample. Do you see this project moving in any particular direction?

clyp.it/atmbn2v5

been working on this for a while
appreciate all feedback

I love the percussive clarity.
It actually melded extremely well with the melancholic tone. I also enjoyed the way you edited your banjo and how well they paired with the synths and piano. However, I'd personally add give the low-end a bit more weight; I think that'd really round out the entire piece.

I shall do that.
Glad you like it!

I play drums

alright thanks. ill try copying them to another computer and see how it goes one of these days

Thoughts/comments on babby's first beat pls. Inspired by knxledge/dilla. clyp.it/wv1fp3u2

Beautiful track, really great work. Instrument selection is fantastic, and the progression through the piece is really nice too - I particularly liked the synths and piano.

I don't know anything about composing music so I won't try to give you any advice other than keep it up!

bump

Somebody, anybody. please gib feedbacks
clyp.it/wv1fp3u2

this was really, really good. curious of your samples? kick sounds great

I also play the drums

guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, and sing.

What is /prod/'s opinion on the bastl kastle?

Thank you!! I'm really glad somebody liked it. The drums are sampled from D'Angelo's 'Voodoo' album, and I applied a sidechain compressor on the kick - not sure exactly how it works but it makes it sound punchier. I also EQ'd it slightly to take out some of the high end, I can upload and post a link to the individual drum sounds if you want. Everything else is sampled from Gil Scot-Heron's song 'Pieces of a Man'

Get

way too simple for me desu, needs more controls and less nonsense. but im sure you can make some fun sounds on it

Anywhere to get free drum samples?

do any of yall have an op-1 because i am on the fucking verge of buying it and i keep seing mixed opinions

there are way better ways to spend almost a grand, user. You'll get way better capabilities out of a digital 8 track for $99 and a minilogue + volca beats.
but none of the portability or hipster factor

what kind of drums are you looking for

industrial/techno stuff

rutracker if you are ok with torrenting they have tons of sample packs

musicradar a good place to start, but honestly anywhere if we're talking techno.

clyp.it/urpkrb0b
I've never made house(?) before how is it

thanks ill look into it

What should I do if all I want to do is make music but there's no scene where I live and none of my friends play any instruments? I know it sounds cliche but I can't really imagine myself doing anything other than making music.

how about
make
music

I'd like to but all I can do is play guitar and sing. I also don't really know any theory at all which hinders my ability to make good music but I do plan on taking guitar lessons again with a focus on actually learning how to play, not just play chords and read tabs.

learn some theory
buy some books
also if you can play guitar & sing you can just do what every other singer songwriter ever did

hi people, I want to bu a moog sub 37, should I wait till summer NAMM too see if they came up with new shit?

just bought a monthly sub for Max 7 any oneuse the program? I am still a beginner. Waiting for my email so I can start practicing. Im so anxious.

bro, this is the age of the internet and in-the-box music production. get a DAW, start making music and put your shit out online

>Recorderman method

This is the way I always used to record drums at demo stage, where the idea was to get the song down before it got fucked about with and diluted by committee politics, so that it was more an instinctual thing and more improvisational.

Trouble is that some drums don't work so well with so much of the room sound - kicks especially - and it's those drum sounds that people most comment on when listening back to what they've been told are finished recordings.

The technique has its place, I have no argument against that, but room sound for me is an addition to close-miking and not an alternative and as such I'd be apt to go for the best non-coloured mic you can get to capture the room - 414s if they're in the budget.

Learn about intervals and start learning how your favorite songs work. Come up with your own notions about them.

Working on this:
clyp.it/z04ylw33

Hiphop/trap

Dude this shit just screams originality! How is it that you trap producers are always coming up with new ways to innovate? I've never heard anything like this

Sweet baby jesus this badass

this is awesome man. I think you need to take a look at the chords around the minute mark they seem out of place to me

Very nice, would listen to if finished

Thank you really appreciate the kind words, I personally like to think outside of the box stand out from the rest, Having this in mind i push boundaries + Not having a safe space and try to make something different i'm getting pretty good at it after 3 years of forming my "sound/style". Staying motivated is a huge part of it. Most internet producers got this mindset at first but then they see where the money is which is mainstream Beats. I'm preparing for the next generation of music/beats at the same time i make some mainstream sounding beats.

One of my more mainstream beats
clyp.it/lri1ydwc

>clyp.it/z04ylw33
Also got this one on hold will finish it after the nocturnal one, Alright i'm done sharing gonna start listening through the thread clyp.it/0jbgpgcr

Trap/hiphop guy here
Kick is way to loud also eq out that ugly distortion on that kick, instruments are to low, also your off beat on that mouth pop sounding thing you put in there. Cords are alright gives that horror feel to the beat. all in all you gotta grind a lot more before you say "dis bangers fire
For real though"

I like the atmosphere, Not sure if i like the 808 as a bass would go with something else like a sub bass maybe, That is if you are going with this feel i believe just going for a orchestra score with the cords you got would be dope.

I dig this one, Not so fond of the snare buildup but when it comes in with the vocal it sounds nice the spooky bassline is sexy af.

"also your off beat on that mouth pop sounding thing you put in there make it not off beat" is what i was trying to say here

clyp.it/kwuvsh3p

r8 pls

Yeah i wrote the piano then just built every else around it
Yeah i might change up the snare cause its the same sample the whole way through

Trap/hiphop guy here
Love shit like this, sounds great overall.
8/10 since its short

it'll be longer soon don't worry

you better telepathically let me know when this is released cause other wise im gonna be sad

Who are some good lyricists I can study?

Honestly, just read books. This will slowly increase your vocab and english / language skills and will allow you to write better lyrics when your in a creative mood

I don't know why but it's become increasingly difficult for me to actually read books. The last time I read an entire book was a few years ago when my power went out. My vocabulary is pretty decent I would say. ELA is actually my strongest subject. I just have a terrible attention span.

The harp is muddy

hmm i reckon its fairly dependent upon what mood your in, most of the time, from my experience, im not in the mood for doing music stuff / writing lyrics but all of a sudden you find yourself doing it and you just gotta go with it.
Its almost impossible to be able to do it consistently without your quality going down

clyp.it/devtin2t

Folk thing with a baritone vocal. How's my mixing?

theproaudiofiles.com/most-popular-mixing-articles-of-2016/

Here's a video one

theproaudiofiles.com/20-most-popular-mixing-tutorials-of-2016/

Should I look to build a PC for music production or just buy a good laptop such as an XPS or Spectre?
Starting out doing solo stuff but am in a band also. Doubt I will be playing live in the near future, however I am more inclined to the portability of a laptop. Any suggestions?
DAW= Ableton

PC will be cheaper, laptop will have portability.
DESU, you don't need a super computer unless you're using big sample libraries or some VSTi like Diva or Serum which can eat a lot of cpu.
Then again, the fastest the better since you can have as many plugin instances as possible.
Oh and if you're using ableton something with a good screen resolution is desirable from my personal experience

oh and I would get a laptop myself just for being able to compose anytime anywhere I want

I play the macbook

:^)

it's not very demanding. you just want 8gb of ram (or more) and a dece CPU. things to avoid are fan noise (or any loud noise) and instability (shutdowns or errors due to OS, faulty batteries or hard drives, overheating, etc.)
laptop is way more practical unless you're looking to do studio work strictly, keeping the OS and DAW in an SSD obviously makes for a smoother experience and backing stuff up in an external hard drive will save you more time and prevent more frustration than you probably think

clyp.it/jc04mcwb

critique before its gone

like it a lot, hard as fuck

If I spend all summer teaching myself production will that give me enough time to get the basics down?

it's enough time to get comfortable with your daw/gear (if you have any), but learning to use it all skillfully will take more time

>get comfortable with your daw/gear
That's what I was hoping

>get better at mixing with every mix
>immediately look back at old mixes and think they're shit
>scared I'm shit now but just don't realize it yet

Of course you're shit. Just be thankful you're making progress.

I tried a jazz cover of the Creed / Rocky theme
clyp.it/ns3w3d32
can I do anything to make it sound more "authentic"

This so much. I've been recording and mixing for locals over premade beats just so I can get more practice at it. When I hear my old mixes, I physically cringe.

Would I be better off with a hard synth or a midi controller?