Every state's electoral college votes go to the winner of the majority of the state

>Every state's electoral college votes go to the winner of the majority of the state
>Except for a few
>Despite every state giving their votes to the winner of the majority of the state, somehow the election is not fair because of "muh popular vote"

Can someone explain to me this logic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OUS9mM8Xbbw
usnews.com/opinion/articles/2016-08-18/wisconsin-and-north-carolina-voter-id-laws-suppress-votes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not only that.
>It takes a simple majority to win electoral votes
>If California had a simple 51-49 majority of votes, it would award the same as if it had a 99-1 result.
>Yet people continue to use the "Muh popular vote argument"

JUST

youtu.be/OUS9mM8Xbbw

because you're voting for the president of the federal government- something that rules over all people, not just individual states which the college serves

>Pepe the frog is somehow still racist and anyone who posts it gets criticized even though the majority of the internet knows it isn't true.

WHY ISN'T ANYONE DOING ANYTHING.

It is possible for a candidate to not get a single vote in 38/50 states (plus DC) and still win the election.....Something wrong about that picture.

satan

>If we were basing elections on popular vote, only Texas, Cali, NY and maybe Florida would be necessary
>More democratic than our current system.
Like, we all learned about the electoral college and its origins in the 8th grade, do people just not recall or is it just because its inconvenient?

It was sad to see Nevada and Virginia fall to the marxist scourge.

And right now, Ohio, North Carolina, Flordia, and Wisconsin are the only ones necessary....whats the difference?

>Obama: The election cannot be hacked
>Obama: RUSSIA HACKED THE ELECTION

WHY THE FUCK IS 1984 HAPPENING IN FRONT OF MY EYES.

California decides to let Illegals vote by saying no proof of ID is required because of "da disenfranchised voter". NY won't purge dead from their voting records. San Fran, well they are full of faggots so who cares about them.

Electoral college is bust but OH BOY AT LEAST YOU AIN'T BRITISH

The difference is that those states are never consistently blue or red. California and NY are always blue no matter what, so guess who we'd have in power most of the time?
At least in our current situation, the candidates are forced to talk to those people who are decent representatives of the average man in america.

Source on that?

>Rigged the election by exposing how many laws they broke..
Liberals actually believe this.

>X lives matter.
>Focusing on meme slogans instead of real world solutions.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Thats what I am saying though. Why should swing states be inherently more important? Just because they are swing states? Why do states matter at all? Who cares where a person is from? This whole notion of "boo hoo california is too important" is silly

No source , just using it as an example. Liberals already think people should be able to vote without having to prove who they are.

I get it, but it's a shitty, outdated way and in no way is it a democracy.

Your single vote more or less doesn't matter. Anyone saying otherwise is a dingus.

How is it silly? Living in california is not the same as living in kentucky or kansas or any other state. California has its own shit to deal with and Texas and the midwest states have their own shit to deal with. What you are saying is basically to put one state over all the others and disregard the others needs? Fucking cityfolk don't know what it's like to live in the country and vice versa. Giving control to city folk is to completely disregard half of the country. Do you hate democracy? Is that what it is?

I've never heard of any of that and I can't find a good source for it. Sorry it's just new to me.

It's traditional politics that liberals don't want voter ID laws and republicans do. Liberals argue that the poor man cannot afford a $30 fee and a few hours at the DMV so it's unconstitutional to prove who you are to vote, whereas apparently it's racist to ask for an ID according to Liberals.

The whole thing is pretty stupid really, you need an ID to do half of the good stuff in this country.

>Liberals offended at teapot.

FUCKING WHYYYYYYYYYY

>Media in war against Trump
>Trump continues on.
>Media reeees

Is the situation hopeless?

It would be nice if people in the US had a way of electing people to the federal government in a place based on the amount of people in their state and also to a place that each state gets the same amount so that the states views are represented wouldn't it?

HELL FUCKING YEAH.
>Bicameral Legislature

So why are people complaining?
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm a liberals and I've never hear this from the left maybe tumblr SJW fags but no one that matters.

Dude, I seriously just googled "Voter ID Laws" and went to "NEWS" and it's all over the place.

Are you trolling or do you just not pay attention to politics?

>Voter ID Laws
I see a few about Iowa but nothing legit about any thing else
. Maybe google prioritizing things but I'm not seeing what you are.

I voted for Bill Weld. Oh, and Gary Johnson, I suppose.

Liberals don't 'not want voter ID laws' they don't want some of the news ones that will hurt a number of legitimate voters, also voter impersonation's effect on elections is basically negligible

How is less than the majority considered the "average?"

That's a good point
I can even think of a good way to determent "voter impersonation's effect on elections" if the ones they know about got caught and there for had no effect.

people who know far more than you are I make educated estimates, the odds of them being wrong by several magnitudes isn't enough to justify some of the regulations potentially being pushed

the founding fathers didn't trust the average joe fuck citizen so they figured they'd entrust an elite educated few to make the final call

except the system has backfired. electors aren't handpicked elite super-citizens. they're all party picked hacks who toe the party line.

either we take the process of choosing electors out of the hands of parties, or we scrap the system entirely, as its become compromised.

Ah I see so trust the experts I got it. Uh so I think if they where so smart they could at least try to release their study like most other scientific studies done but hey what do I know?

The claim the intelligence community is making is that the Russian government hacked the DNC's computer systems as well as the state election systems of a few states. Additionally, it has become clear that Russia was sponsoring a propaganda campaign aimed at undermining Clinton and bolstering Trump's bid for the presidency.

No one is claiming Donald Trump won the election through voter fraud. No one is claiming Russia caused or accomplished mass voter fraud and turned the election.

You can't rig an election in the United States. But you can get enough people to believe lies through misinformation.

Russians influenced how many people voted. A foreign power meddled with an American election. You should be horrified and angry.

ah I see you don't trust experts and rely on your own basic understanding for everything, completely disregarding the backbone of humanity's success

>my vote is worth more than your vote because there are less people living in my empty state
>because states vote
>instead of people
>and this is sensible in a form of government designed to represent the will of the people (not the will of states), by and for the people (not the states).

Niggers, people need to elect the president, regardless of where they live.

>hillary tho
idgaf about hitlery or trump

California one vote = 4 votes Wisconsin.

So because someone lives in a more populated place, they get 1/4 the say. Literally the exact definition of not democracy.

No I don't trust experts who don't like trying to explain them selfs. That sounds like faith and religion not science.

The only way republicans can take power at this point is by being appointed by entrenched party leadership, not by being elected by the people.

So be glad that for the moment, we still allow this to continue. Without it your backward, outdated worldview is just another idiotic minority special interest to be laughed off.

Increasingly so with each passing generation.

it means that a candidate has to try and appeal to a state's demographic even if they aren't that populous

think less blind equality, more trying not to leave people in the dust

I'm a republican living in California and I even think you're full of shit

As a Wisconsin resident, I appreciate the sentiment, electoral college, but it's bullshit. We aren't 4x smarter or 4x more informed voters. We're just as fucked as the rest of you, and our votes should be counted nationally, in a national election, for national leadership.

So everyone else should shouldn't progress because others won't keep up? I don't know if that's what you are implaying but n-no...

The autism in this thread is astounding.

Isn't that precisely the argument for affirmative action?

>we still allow
LOLOL! Powerless pretentious ass

If I hear another Republican Congressman say "the people have spoken" and "the people of this country elected us to produce results!" and "the people elected us on a mandate to blah blah blah"

I'm going to fucking start showing up in person reminding these fuckwits that the people did not elect them at all, and just because they got in through electoral jiggery-pokery, does not mean the country is behind them abusing absolute power and running the whole fucking ship of state aground.

On the other hand, doesn't matter, because they have only 2 years to fuck up as much as possible before getting thrown the fuck out in the next election, and the more they trash the place, the more decisive that election and those coming after it will be.

no, you're really clutching at straws on that one
I suppose it is in a way, I'm not saying it's a perfect argument but in the case of elections a simple majority vote system would make targeting anyone outside of a city essentially pointless

This is as idiotic as saying that no one died of cancer before there were any tests to verify the presence of cancer. If there are no meaningful tools to check the prevalence, you cannot assume that the incidence rate is inconsequential.

I am horrified and angry.
I'm angry that the democrats rigged the election against bernie
I'm angry that Donna gave Clinton the debate questions ahead of time
I'm angry that Clinton has a history of lying and being an overall pandering candidate that had nothing to run on other than "I'm not Trump"

If you think exposing truth is rigging, then I don't know what to tell you.

You realize we've changed nearly every detail of the electoral system repeatedly and constantly over the lifetime of this country.

This shit continues because it's only gone against the will of the people a few times. Unfortunately for you, two of those transgressions have occurred nearly in a row. If it continues to be this dysfunctional, (which there's every indication it will have to be, for your increasingly unpopular party to take power) it will eventually be replaced. It's only a matter of time. Enjoy it while you've got it.

After that, we can spit the Dems in at least the 3 incompatible separate factions they're comprised of currently and get some actual options in this country.

I'm not trying to I just can't understand what you men by "more trying not to leave people in the dust"

Okay, when the democrats win next election, let's do it then. See if they're up for it.

and in north carolina and wisconsin republicans have made it essentially illegal for poor, black, and young people to vote, and even when they let them vote they use gerrymandering to prevent all non-statewide elections, like congressional and state legislative elections, from being competitive

Apparently just have faith because the experts say so I guess. That's basically the answer I got.

>Argentina is white
Pretty spot on asshole.

>Donna Brazile

is an American author and political analyst. She is a member of the Democratic Party, briefly served as the interim chairperson for the Democratic National Committee in spring 2011, and assumed that role again in July 2016.

She was the first African American to direct a major presidential campaign, acting as campaign manager for Al Gore in 2000. She has also worked on several presidential campaigns for Democratic candidates, including Jesse Jackson and Walter Mondale–Geraldine Ferraro in 1984, and for Dick Gephardt in the 1988 Democratic primary.

Why in the FUCK is the person with that track record in charge of anything???

Holy fuck, its been hard enough corralling the dem vote together (hence the "herding cats" phrase), trying to do it with a 7 time loser at the helm... what a surprise hillary lost her ass.

Source on this?

usnews.com/opinion/articles/2016-08-18/wisconsin-and-north-carolina-voter-id-laws-suppress-votes

>Wisconsin

Realize we had a record low turnout for this vote at all. When presented with such horrendous choices, the two least popular candidates in the recorded history of elections, most voters stayed home, and a very tiny sliver of (unfortunately for you) trump fanatics bothered to go out and vote at all.

The majority vote was not for Trump, it was for "no confidence". Trumps shit hasn't gotten any more popular since the election.

if you only need half the votes and well over the half the votes come from demographic A, then why bother paying attention to demographic B, C and D. Making their votes more powerful means you have to pay attention to, in theory, everyone

The whole fbi infestation thing was shady timing especially the reopening of the case. In fact the whole reopening thing was shadey

young people and poor people and minority people (oftentimes two or three of these overlap) move a lot more and work hourly jobs more, which means that their IDs which remain valid for other stuff (moving doesn't make your driver's license invalid - you don't get a ticket for that) but these laws make those documents invalid for voting purposes, meaning people have to take time off of work to visit a govt office that is usually only open during normal business hours to update their info, and often require a cost to do these things. this disenfrancises a lot of people. then republicans often pass laws to make it harder for college kids who otherwise would be considered residents and citizens of the state they go to school in to be eligible to vote in that state. this also disenfranchises lots of people.

I don't see how that's leaving people in the dust but again why does this not cover it.

Fuck trump in his pussy little ass. Hopefully he'll enjoy being Putin's bitch.

sorry this was meant as a reply to

Maybe she shouldn't have such incompetent staff who puts "Password" as their password.

Thank God at least one person in thread isn't allergic to give a source.

in person voter fraud is essentially not a thing. the closest election in 2014 was decided by like 1000 votes, which means to swing that election you'd have to get like 1500 people to participate in some sort of scheme to vote more than once or to buy their votes - assuming they wouldn't have voted for you anyway already. the idea that something like this would work without being discovered is preposterous. it's ridiculous and not even worth considering. but this irrational fear is used to justify blatantly racist shit like voter ID laws and purges of the voter rolls that disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of people in some states and millions of people around the country every year, in addition to discouraging lots more people from even attempting to vote at all. it's madness and a power grab.

We should have universal, federally-provided voter ID's, similar to Social Security cards. It would do away with all of the bullshit from both sides on voter validity.

agreed. and the voting procedures and systems should be uniform. election day should be a holiday or over the course of a weekend. we can and should update lots of this stuff.

The memes on this thread....

Huh that's interesting and a good point. The write in vote system is fucked too I think a lot of collage kids votes didn't count because of problems related to it.

Here have some more

The states popular vote doesnt go the the electoral college. They literally can vote for anybody

It's not about the fairness of the electoral college voting for the majority of the votes from the state, it's about the distribution of electors per state which is completely inappropriate for our modern society. It used to be that rural America had a harder time registering and getting to the poles because of lack of access to polling places. With the ease of access to personal transportation and wide spread urban sprawling it is now a moot argument. Popular vote ensures that elections like this last one with +3 million votes for Clinton actually result in what the majority of voters want. Not what a dozen or so states want.

>image

fucking liberals i swear

>Majority of democrats live in areas with high populations
>High populations would determine elections
>Republicans disenfranchised
>Fair

Liberal plz.

So densely populated areas should be handicapped? Again I just said that nearly everyone, including the racist redneck fucks in bfe have the same access to polls as anyone else. 1 person = 1 vote.

Wow, how ironic. That would make the republicans the minority. Are you saying we should disregard minorities?

MOTHERFUCKING LIBERAL LOGIC. HOLY SHIT

So people in Wyoming, or Idaho, should have their votes completely negated by huge population centers, like Los Angeles or Chicago? Keeping in mind, the the USA is a collection of states, not one big population. You already have a number of House seats proportional to the population of each state. If you get rid of the EC, are you willing to get rid of the House of Representatives? Or would you be OK with basically having double the power of the smaller states?

The idea of 1 person 1 vote is in conflict with the electoral college.

I'm in favor of the electoral college to give small populations more of a voice at the price of greater representation.

>completely unfamiliar with the fucking counterarguments to his idiotic ideas
>even though they've been posted in every god damn thread on this shit since the 1700s
>including this one
>just an endless supply of born-yesterday faggots piping in to say "but then populous states would overpower us, and wahhh".
>therefore stack the vote
>winner takes all
>districting & redistricting and gerrymandering
>corporations are people
>unlimited spending buying congress and senate
>judges too bc fuck it why not
>some citizens votes are worth more than others
>red, uneducated, less productive, welfare-states have more say dictating policy than the blue, educated, industrious, solvent states.
>but we're gods chosen ppl, and deserve to dictate policy to the rest of you
>but don't call it entitlement when we do it

Republicant plz

Hey fam, I'm just calling it out for what it is.
I never said republicans were god tier, but you fucking democrats act like you're god like and you're right and everyone is wrong.

THIS IS WHY MUTHAFUCKNIG TRUMP WON.

The fuck is wrong with you? 1 vote = 1 person is fair. It's not liberals fault that the majority of the population isn't Republican. If Republican ideaology is so much better for everyone, then why do they struggle in cities? Adapt to the 21st century where intelligent, educated people gather in the cities or GTFO of my country!

Why isn't this enough.
Also we want to pander and bend fully to the whim of minorities.

MOTHERFUCKING REPUBLICAN LOGIC. HOLY SHIT.

>intelligent educated people gather in the cities

You see this shit fam? You see this! D:

Samefag.

>complains about spending in elections when his candidate just spent over a billion
>complains about PACs when his party has been using them at the same rate
>complains about corporations but doesn't mention union spending, govt grants to "community groups"
>loses bigly and wants to change the rules
>doesn't complain about the huge numbers advantage larger states have in the House of Representatives
>thinks gerrymandering, now being used to great effect by the other party, was an invention of his party

>educated people gather in the cities

So do the poorest and least educated. Go ahead, tell us how your small enclave of "highly educated" outnumber the poor, uneducated minorities in these huge cities.

(((Republicans)))

I am flatter you think so.

idgaf, I am just enjoying the HELL out of the newfound bold confidence of obnoxious idiots and drunks in bars that can't wait to tell total strangers loud and proud how great they just know Trump is going to be, while everyone with a fucking job, and a fucking family, and a fucking education, whether dem or republican, grumbles about what an utter fucking shitshow this all is.

There's nothing like being told all about how great the political landscape is about to get by people who in the next breath reveal they have a 2nd grade childs level of ignorance of how this countries government functions or its role in the world. Man, it's everywhere I go. One loud trumpfag, and I just agree with them let them just run with it, and everyone else in earshot looks like they ate bad cheese.

If you're a trumptard, you're a tiny, tiny, tiny fringe minority of an already unpopular party. Now is the time to stand up and shout it, and let everyone else around you know what a retard you are, thinking yours is a popular position and not immediately incriminating of being a shitty person. It's pretty funny.

Why did you think we where the same person?