Is it worth learning Japanese just to enjoy the culture? (ie, music, tv shows, books, etc)

Is it worth learning Japanese just to enjoy the culture? (ie, music, tv shows, books, etc)

I don't plan on ever living or working there.

no, you can pick up the nuances just by listen with subs ofc you have to be pretty attentive and a good understanding of their kanji-pronounciation versus their phonetic/slang stuff

of which will take years of immersion in japanese to acquire since a lot of their slice-of-life comedy deals with puns

so unless you have ulterior motives you don't need to

Is a country's culture defined by their media and entertainment?

I guess in my case it means anything I can consume and enjoy

Should probably call it their media then.

Been studying Japanese since high school, and I can tell you quite honestly. Don't.
Don't study Japanese.

If you're doing it for the reasons you listed, I can tell you honestly that the difficulty of the language outweighs the benefit

What were your reasons?

Sure, why not. You spend most of your quality enjoying media of various forms so learning the target language of a source of media you enjoy is basically enriching your enjoyment of life.

You probably studied highly inefficiently and took years to reach N3. You class based learners are the absolute last people worth listening to regarding language learning.

Do you love Japan?

Sure

>Karolina Styczyńska (born June 17, 1991) is a Polish shogi professional. She is the first non-Japanese, male or female, to be awarded professional status by the Japan Shogi Association.

>Styczyńska started playing shogi as a teenager after seeing the game depicted in an issue of the Japanese manga Naruto.

Our weeaboos are actually fucking insane.

pretty dedicated

japanisu isu easy ですよ

am I japaneseing now ですか?

わおー
天才がいるんだー

あたい!

Learn Korean instead, it's 17x easier and they have better waifus

It isn't as pretty of a language and their music industry is horrifyingly homogeneous. Can't deny the cute girls, even if they do come across in pictures as somewhat vapid.

kek this place is weeb central

I would like to visit Korea, but it's always been a backseat in my mind to Japan. I just love traditional Japanese aesthetics. The architecture, the lacquerware.. so much of it just seems to be perfect.

At the same time I look at cultural values like 建前 and 和 and I just hate it. It's fundamentally against who I am.

Maybe I'll look into South Korea. I'd like to visit before anything happens with North Korea.

>To enjoy Japanese modern pop culture such as anime, mainstream music, films and so on:
Basically no

>To enjoy traditional Japanese culture such as Rakugo, Manzai, Nazokake, Haiku and so on:
Absolutely yes. You must learn it.

Good Japanese poems, satires and comedies are supposed to contain some complex and well-hidden wordplays.
It's so English- or any foreign language-unfriendly, but you've got to deal with it as it naturally happens when the language is so autistic it is based on three different characters.

But they have no media besides shitty tv and shitty k-pop

Thanks Davido-kun

No. I'm learning it, but only because I have free time. It's better to focus on other things.