Dune thread

Dune thread

How would you make a Dune film Sup Forums?

I wouldn't

I'd wait for Game of Crap to be over and pitch in to HBO as their new le ebin replacement

Make it into a mini series, no movie.

Didn't they try that already

Dune needs a huge budget

Animated.

Like what style?

I had nightmares of giant cocks chasing me after that scene.

Have refn direct it and have all the parts with inner monologue just the characters staring awkwardly. The caves the fremen live in will be lit by pretty neon lights and look fantastic. Long shots of paul walking on the sand like the valhalla rising boat scene to get the sense of just how long he was out there.
Goose as Duncan. Titcow will be there too, maybe play that chick that becomes Pauls servant after he kills he Freman in a duel.

now this I can get behind

One thing I would change is way the Bene Gesserit are visually depicted. They are not a bunch of weird, bald old cunts. There is no basis for the faux-victorian aesthetic for the Dune universe in the source material.

They need to be more bad-ass (because they are) and because Jessica has nearly as big of a role in the first book as Paul. You will want to show a lot of her backstory in order to expand on the mythos of the Dune universe.

so did Frank Herbert

>Christina Hendricks as Chani

First of all, they already had a titcow play Chani in the sci-fi version.

Secondly, Chani is repeatedly mentioned in Dune as being a waif.

Christina as Jessica Atreides I can almost get behind, but that means she will have to lose a lot of weight in the middle of the film when she and Paul start living with the Fremen. I don't want to see Christina lose any weight. Use Bryce Dallas Howard or Jessica Chastain, I don't give a shit about them.

Or perhaps..

HBO miniseries after Game of Thrones is over. Luis Guzman as Gurney Halleck.

The Sci Fi Channel not SyFy series but with a bigger budget and bigger actors

Yeah, but the version they did was very cheap. A HBO level budget could handle it.

Antje would be perfect

Dune doesn't seem that hard to adapt at all really, like what part of Paul's story would be left out of a more literal adaptation of the Dune novels?

Do you wanna do all the Frank Herbert series or keep going with his sons continuation?
Paul becoming the god worm would be a bitch to adapt.

Well, there's a lot of things around his pre-cognition that's difficult to portray. An insane amount of internal dialogue too.

I said his servant girl, not chani. She was the wife of the guy he kills in the duel where they give him the name usal. She was older and they never descrbed her looks with much detail.
She wouldnt do as jessica, i would want a younger natural dark haired woman for her.

Mini series in Game of Thrones style where houses like Atreides, Harkonnen, Corrino etc fight for power.
Basicly like the book prequels. Although people seem to hate the prequel books, the similarity with Game of Thrones is striking.

Because GRR is a hack and ripped off a ton from Dune, ever wonder why no one talks about his novels outside of ASOIAF.
Can't blame his as a ton of Sci Fi stuff has as well.

How accurate of a representation is the Lynch film of the wider series? That just made me feel uneasy/disgusted in so many ways that I had to stop watching it about a third of the way through.

The Sci-Fi series is more in line, the Lynch film is a mess

I would hire Hackson and Snyder, surgically join them into one being and give them unlimited budget to create a trilogy

also no niggers cast or working on set - lotr rules apply

The tv mini series did it best. Why cant they just continue with God Emperer of Dune?

The mini series rules. It gets everything right. Watch that as well as its sequel Children of Dune.

Moebius, leaning towards the pacing of Watership Down. Very dreamlike with minimal dialogue and tons of atmosphere, with most dialogue being either at the beginning or end of each episode.

Or, if a movie, keep all the dialogue, but pace it out with long silences to soak in the atmosphere and possibly make it a trilogy.

Part I goes up to where Paul finds the Fremen
Part II goes to where he is about to attack the castle
Part III is the battle and the epilogue.

All of the movies would be at least 3 hours. Hand animated, hand painted backgrounds. Soundtrack by Tangerine Dream and LORN.

>grrm ripped off herbert
>no other scifi writer ripped off herbert
>what is feudalism

>I said tons of Sci Fi ripped off Herbert and
>implied a lot of Fantasy did as well
Dune was as seminal a novel as old Tolkien

Have you seen the documentary about Jodorowsky's Dune?

I'd let GRIMES direct it

I would forbid every single actress in it from shaving or otherwise removing any and all body hair.

as i said, Grimes

>alejandro

now where would you get that idea? :^)

call me crazy but you saw that docu and prolly read the books like me
also prolly enjoyed the sci fi series

i liked the series as well, honestly Dune could never really be good as a film, there just isn't enough time in 3hrs

I think Alejandro had it slotted for well over 20hrs

Pretty much everybody in the show except for the Harkonnen and some of the Astreidis would have to played by Middle Eastern, North African, or South Asian nowadays if you wanted to avoid having people call for a boycott. Although, the number of people complaining might not be great enough to matter much.

>evil fat degenerate homosexual Baron Harkonnen.
>Literal Jihad.
>all the parallels to oil wars
>patriarchy with powerful women in the shadows
>male god-emperor escaping the clutches of women who want to use him as a tool

Shit, I want it just for the meltdowns it would cause everywhere.

I wouldn't because the source material is already crap

this is the dune we need

God Emperor as a mini series holy fucking shit, I can't stop laughing god damn it would be just the worst thing ever, I hope they do it.

I wouldn't. Fuck stories about Gary Stu schoolboys. Perhaps back in the 60s it was something innovative, but today it's literally generic anime plot #9001, and even casuals are starting to get tired of that shit.

>patriarchy with powerful women in the shadows
Oh sweet summer child. BG basically put that fuccboi Paul on the galaxy's throne, and the subsequent books are literally Weak Men Will Never Rule Galaxy: The Series.
Also Leto II the ultimate cuck.

I still have the book here and haven't gotten around reading it yet (first book). Is it worth it?

First book - yes, not bad pulp. Subsequent ones - only if you get hooked on the setting. About son's sequels general consensus is they're shit, but who knows, perhaps they are actually passable pulp as well.

Thank you

>I hope they do it.
Me too

>perhaps they are actually passable pulp as well.
They're not.
Unless your vision of the Butlerian Jihad was Terminators in space, then yes.