I have accidentally killed someone as a medic AMA

I have accidentally killed someone as a medic AMA

it can happen to anyone

How?

40 year old male was in v tach, instead of cardiversion i went with amiodarone

How op?

In English?

i went with the wrong treatment, i should have done sync cadriovert

Wide or narrow complex? With or without a pulse?

patient was in v tach (heart rate is 220) instead of cardiovert i went with amiodarone, and because of my decision he died

with a pulse, and wide complex ,as soon zas we moved him over shi went down hill

AVPU? Pulse? I'm guessing with because you said Cardiovert instead of DFIB. Sounds to me like they were fucked either way. Cardioverting is risky. I'm assuming wasn't SVT?

i should have cardio vert.....i hope to pass this to other medics

as soon as we moved him ER shocked him...no luck

Get over it dude. Everyone makes mistakes. You didn't kill him, he was already dead. You just didn't necessarily do what was best for him. Kill him would be like "I gave RSI meds and failed to intubate". Or "I shot him up with enough fentanyl to kill a mule team without taking his blood pressure first". What you did is just a mistake, and you should learn from it and not take it so hard. First death?

I want this guy as my medic

hearing what you say is comforting actually, we have new RSI protocols which is 3 2 1

why?

my friend is an emt-b

hes always having people die on him. dont be so hard on yourself dude. people die everyday.

to get the hardest erection of my life user

medics are usually saty as fuck

I've got a grand total of 19. 7 from while I was a combat medic overseas, 12 from while I was an EMT. You learn to stop blaming yourself eventually. These things happen. Mistakes get made. There's nothing you can do about it. Learn to let go.

Thank your friend....but no one has issued with pttsd untill they pronounce a dead person

Medics i have met seem pretty nice, Young nurses that pretty useless, spent a week in hospital and come over with heroin addict arms

this thread has lost its tractio0n...ask a paramedic anything about police, fire, EMS

Is black pussy good for you?

I hate firefighters those smug little assholes and their government pay. "I only work three days a week." They always look like they're day dreaming just cruising through work

welll.....fuck old Sup Forums

Any tips on dealing with having to witness death on an almost constant basis? I am striving towards a similar job which will definitely be ridden with death, and hearing advice from those such as yourself with these experiences would be immensely helpful.

3 days a week is 72 hours. More than you work.
You have to maintain a bit of detachment from your patients. Most importantly though, know your shit. Death isn't as big of a deal if you do what you can to prevent it and have no guilt.

Well, I'm a big music person, and a lot of that helped me later on down the road. But before hand I didn't handle it all that well. I was 17 when I started, too. I guess the only thing I can tell you is... you know, just brace yourself. Tell yourself before every run, before every job 'hey, someone might not make it here.' Eventually it gets to the point where you stop needing to hear that from yourself. You just sorta know. It helps with nerves, or it did for me at least. And help with nerves helps with clear thought, which in turn saves more lives. Good to see you wanna do something like that man. Get out there and save lives.

Image unfamiliar.

This too, try to detach yourself from it. Granted that happens naturally after a while.

If being on call is work than I work 168 hours, dumbass

On call doesn't. What do you even do?

Not sure of AHA guidelines but UKRC only recommend synced DC cardioversion for unstable rhythms.

Was your patient stable? Also, what was the trace showing?

If you went with dug cardioversion in a stable patient with an uncomplicated rhythm and they died that's not on you man.

I'm not sure how common reflective writing is done over the pond but this sounds like the type of case which would benefit from one.

Nigger, in what world does somebody work for 3 days straight without sleep? The fuck is 72 hours coming from in three days

WHAT?!

Firefighters, everyone.

Its not straight. 24 on 48 off. And I usually don't sleep. If I do its no more than 2 hours. Usually during the day time if I can get it.

So you're admitting to sleeping on the job? You're so full of shit.

If I can yes. Do you sleep on call? I'm assuming so if youre the guy who posted 168 hours.

i agree, i remember going to the hospital late at night once and no one was there. i ended up getting a bloodtest but the nurse that was supposed to give it to me left. the fucking receptionist stuck a needle INTO MY ARM and could not find my vein so she wiggled it around INSIDE MY ARM i fucking squirm thinking about it

I'm saying your number is bullshit, like all firefighters are full of shit. First it was 72. Now it's sleep for 6 hours. So it's down to 66. The reality is far less. You guys are pathetic

3 fucking times 24 is 72. I get paid for time spent away from home, training, when I'm 2 seconds away from going to a multiple vehicle collision, an overdose or a lady who stubed her toe at P.M. and didnt call til 3 AM. I also sleep when I can because handing hard drugs and heavy equipment when you are up for 24 hours isnt that smart (though I admit I do it all the time) You never answered me user. What is it you do?

I own a business. I have employees and I own large equipment. You little fuckers sit around counting the hours on the clock. That alone is pathetic. "I'm away from my family, pay me." I work, literally work, for 72 hours a week, AT LEAST. I don't sleep like you faggots. If I sleep, we fail. Our pay isn't guaranteed. We must earn every day in the market place. But then you guys have your Unions and pensions and everyone kissing your ass. You nickle and dime the state to the point where firefighters are millionaires when they retire. Millionares. You guys have a tremendous sense of entitlement for nothing. You'd think fighting fire was a new invention. Fuck off

>thinking emergency services get paid well at all
Do you think we got paid well in the military too, you retard?

>No Union
>No Pension
>Private ambulance service

Fuck off faggot and go make food or whatever it is you make and never be in danger or have to deal with death.

again user?

an hero yourself then user. Or become a firefighter if it is so good.

Yet you still find time to shit post on 4 chan.

I belive your little business isn't going quite well according to stupid logic that you possess. Im a firefighter my self in EU. On the shift we need to be prepaired and RESTED for calls. If you get into an accident wouldn't you want a prepaired firefighter to help you rather than a tierd and sleepy one who doesnt give a fuck..?!?

I said Firefighter learn to read

Everybody and their lazy brother wants to be a firefighter. Everyone knows it's a gravy train.

You guys are good at patting yourselves on the back. Being well rested is a firefighting trait only, got it.

Do you like
>welp he's/she's dead
Or are you actually sad about it

Legit question

Generalising like that is quite stupid man. Yes I belive there are many self-patting idiots who many of us depise, but you can't say that for everybody. In my company when we aren't responding on calls we have service jobs to do. Yes most of them aren't really heavy lifting, but at least we earn some money for our salaries and equipment. Work like that can't be quantafied and marginalized on the market like other buissness.

was kewl when this was an emt coping thread
didn't come here for stale fireman jokes thread

"Accidentally killing" comes with the job and we have to overcome that most of the times it is not our fault. I just wanted to defent "stale fireman" and other emergency responders that the job (yes sometimes we stale) have to overcome tough situations and dealing with depression and shit...

I meant that the jokes regarding fireman were old and played out
not that they were actually stale

strongly suspect our "businessman" in this thread is just nega-Ben Franklin or failed out of the academy