Why does this movie impact teenage males so deeply?

Why does this movie impact teenage males so deeply?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cEewY8WPVv8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it's about testosterone fueled rage at nothing in particular for the sake of it, just like being a teenage boy

Because it's usually-

Nah, fuck that, I'm too lazy to write a wall of text right now.

It's the dad they never had.

I also feel it was in many ways the birth of the alt-right.

You're an imbecile.

Because it's basically a coming of age story for a guy who lived to his thirties before becoming an adult.

I'm being a bit facetious but how am I wrong? Fight Club the cult isn't about bettering yourself and growing as a person, it's about pointing out things you don't like and punching other things to feel like you're in control. That's what every teenage boy who misses the point of Fight Club the film identifies with, the lashing out at the lack of control in their lives but not quit being mature enough to figure out to handle those problems in a constructive way.

please, do.

>"Our great depression is our lives"

That whole speech speaks to us. Also male bonding and wanting to be apart of something more. I could see myself getting mixed up in fight club

fatherless americucks relate to it

It encapsulates male nihilism very well.

It's also a very entertaining movie.

>birth of the alt-right.

How so?

>tips wife's son

But the protagonist only beats up one person, majority of the time he is getting beaten up. They made it pretty clear the cathartic experience was getting the shit beaten out of you. The one time he beats up another person he feels shame immediately after it is was a clear mistake.

If faithlessness was it more black people would have liked it, but they pretty unanimously hated it. My black friend described it as "dumb white boy shit".

Yes, you're wrong. It's largely about masculinity in a post-masculine society, though it was very sympathetic to the displacement of femininity as well.

Marla wanted to be loved and needed as a woman. Jack wanted to be necessary as a man. They both live in a society that more closely resembles a fucking shopping mall than anything any sane person with the slightest bit of self-awareness would want to participate in.

So along came Tyler.

By the way, did you know there's a sequel to the book (the book was actually somewhat different from the film, and the film was much better)? It's a graphic novel and it's absolutely horrid.

The reason you don't like the film is because you're afraid of the burdens of a robust masculinity.

I hope this is bait.
>birth of the alt-right.
wut
Don't forget that Fight Club was the male equivalent of a the chick that cuts herself. They just wanted to feel something in their empty lives.

The story is not pro fight clubs or pro project mayhem. I don't understand how some people can't see this.

teenage WHITE males

they may not be intelligent or attractive or have a big dick but hitting people seems fun

I read the book and was shocked how closely the movie followed it. Almost every line from it is in there, and I didn't read a re-release that came out after. Name one significant difference.

One of the core beliefs of the alt-right is that the basis of gender is evolutionary biology: that men are supposed to be warriors who guard a society's perimeter to protect the women within it. Another core belief of the alt-right is that consumer market culture undermines those evolutionary roles.

I can't help but feel all that violence directed at banks and cafes, and all those speeches about identity not being vested in your bank account or khakis, probably jostled something loose in a lot of the Gen Xers who are now middle-aged alt-right YouTube personalities or whatever, but were college students at the time of the film's release.

>Another core belief of the alt-right is that consumer market culture undermines those evolutionary roles.

This is SJW's as well, just drop the bit about linking it to gender roles, which is not a core belief of the alt right anyway and you know it. Would be a lot easier to link the movie to nu males and the alt left.

The fact that Jack ends up in an insane asylum? How about that? And many of the lines were changed. "Wad of white bread" was changed to "wad of cookie dough". "I want to have your abortion" was changed to "I haven't been fucked like that since grade school".

There are many, many differences, actually.

I'm not talking about the actual film, I'm saying thats how dumb boys see it. OP asked why teenagers are drawn to it, I assumed he meant the ones who idolize Tyler and miss the point.

>The reason you don't like the film.
Who said I didn't like the movie? It's very entertaining

>is because you're afraid of the burdens of a robust masculinity
You're gonna need to expand on this, because if Tyler exemplifies "robust masculinity" then we should be afraid of him. He's a terrorist cult leader who encourages his followers to harass, assault, destroy property and most likely kill for his cause, the cause being they are upset and can't find an outlet. If that buzzword "toxic masculinity" has any real meaning it's in Tyler Durden

Traditional gender roles are key to the alt right because the opposite is key to SJWs. They live in tandem with each other

>wut
You're too stupid to live and should be killed with a blender.

Of course he does.

Post yfw people don't realize Tyler isn't a good guy youre supposed to emulate

The right and left share common threads.

There's a massive irony there, since the themes of displaced young men violently asserting their masculinity would seem pretty relevant to black people

>Traditional gender roles are key to the alt right because the opposite is key to SJWs. They live in tandem with each other

I don't disagree with that, but the part about opposing the consumer market culture is pretty thin. Alt right is infested with libertarians. Mindless consumerism is what you get with free market societies.

>faders football

But he made me to wish I have a bro like him.

let's just say fight club is responsible for the most obnoxious elements of today's society.

It's not, Fight Club made the diagnosis but is not the plague that's affecting today's youth.

>this whole thread

Tyler Durden is like the Christmas ghost of masculinity.

I hate that so many people get caught up in the "woah what a twist" element. The movies core message is that the characters inevitably had to start a fight club in order to express their forbidden masculinity.

There is plenty of symbolism that supports this theme. Like Bob, who grew "bitch tits", a fat soft body and feminine demeanor and voice because of excess estrogen due to his testicular cancer.

Who emulates Tyler? Literally nobody.

Tyler was more a philosopher than anything else, and from a philosophical viewpoint he had some real insight, we are far from what we are designed to be and we feel uprooted, pointless and empty in a meaningless materialistic world.

If you want to dwell deeper into that thought read the Kaczynski manifesto, "The Industrial Society and Its Future".

Also, about your "good guy/bad guy" bullshit, come on, grow up.

Why do people think non-violence is the answer? It's how governments have handled their problems for thousands of years. We are living in a society that has tamed us with iphones, and other useless products. Everyone is depressed. Women are more masculine than most men. Men nowadays wear tattoos and beards to emulate what masculine men used to look like. How was Tyler wrong?

Get out more, faggot.

>We're a generation of men raised by women

How could it be more obvious?
Fight club is about the emasculation of generation Y

>we are far from what we are designed to be

You say that like it is a bad thing. Sleeping in caves, shitting in holes, running from lions. If you want to see people living the lives human bodies were designed for, check out any shithole village in Africa.

Listen to Tyler's vision for society, abandoned buildings, overgrown crumbling roads. His ideal world is Detroit without white intervention, ie Africa again. We are building to something bigger than that, transcending flesh and poop. Philosophies like his are a ball and chain.

>Everyone is depressed.

This is true in every culture though. Go trek through Nepal and check out the mountain sherpas living "close to earth". They are some miserable mother fuckers. Babies enter life crying because the world is a miserable place at both ends.

I didn't say he was right, I said he had a point.

Progress can be achieved without denying our biological nature.

Because they don't realise it's a satire. Neither does 95% of this thread.

I've never seen another film so consistently misunderstood.

Maybe i'll go to a bar, where i can discuss the trending topics in media with my fellow man.
It's a different kind of depression. They have purpose. Babies have nothing to do with it. Time is the only thing that really matters, and we're trading it for status symbols.

What if you're anti-capitalism, and you don't believe in mandatory altruism?

>The story is not pro fight clubs or pro project mayhem. I don't understand how some people can't see this.
jesus fucking this

I fucking hate retarded that praise this film because MUH REVOLUTION. it's like, literally the opposite message of the movie.

I really like Fight Club because it depics how the majority of people feels: empty in an empty and soul less world, where we really don't have any point in being. We don't have to fight for our lives, we are so far away from the "animal" behaviour that everything is abstract now.

We have to create a meaning ourselves, but many can't, and they end up following the first charismatic person they meet.

I think the irony behind showing how bad the occidental culture is, and then showing how these "illuminated" people just become a copy of a copy it's really interesting.

This one is correct.
People- maybe boys and men in particular?- relate to, say, The Way Way Back when they're young, then Fight Club when they're older, then American Beauty when they're older.
Fight Club in particular is hard to relate to after high school, because you no longer have an (easy) option to hard-reboot your life. In your twenties/ thirties/ forties, you can't (easily) head off one day and re-invent yourself, the way you can between school and college. If you do, it's an American Beauty-esque tragicomedy, rather than a success story.
Also, Fight Club appeals blatantly to half-informed critiques of consumer culture and materialism, all of which you'll realize are ridiculously simplistic and actually satirical after your first Critical Theory class. This one's not as easy, though- you can go to college, take a STEM course and never engage with critical thinking at all. Then you spend your whole life purchasing and consuming "counter"-culture because you're a neo-liberal. So, a "teenage male" for life in terms of intellect and maturity, if not age and gender

Can't imagine what must go through the minds of someone living in a slum watching that, oh diddums the americans are bored with having everything.

Lol sure buddy

Because it depicts young men who have to go out of their way to find and manufacture conflict, instead of constantly having it brought to them. The "white boy" narrative being espoused here is the same reason people who love Menace 2 Society and N.W.A hate Larry Clark and Harmony Korine- "They're just pretending to be "gangster", or "hardcore", where as we have to live that life every day, just because of the colour of our skin".
It's absolute bollocks, by the way. Every single person struggles socially and culturally as a result of their identity, unless they're super-rich. Tell your friend to stop feeling sorry for himself, he isn't "out here, being a real one, hustling hard, staying woke", and saying that shit is not going to get that pretty white girl's sympathy

Because it has a teenage male's understanding of the world.

no u

>since the themes of displaced young men violently asserting their masculinity would seem pretty relevant to black people

The difference is that black """""people""""" actually do it irl while white boys only fantasize about it.

Like sex, in a way.

You mean like rape.

What we lack in the west is a coming of age ritual that we have to overcome (that we fear). Our transition to adulthood is very abstract and this fucks up everything...

>In your twenties/ thirties/ forties, you can't (easily) head off one day and re-invent yourself

>50 year olds are never the people whom are at the peak of their careers and building empires
>People find their passions and talents at 20 or never

Because for many young people its their first exposure to topics such as nihilism, anti materialism and anarchism, which can have a big impact on their way of perceiving the world.

of course the nu-male hipsters on Sup Forums will claim this is "edgy"

people in slums are dumb animals incapable of logical thought. Thats why they shit out 8 kids and live in 1 bedroom.

Philosophy is not for subhumans.

DUDE TRANSHUMANISM LMAO

It's called losing your virginity and moving out of mommy's basement.

Same reason why Nietzsche is teen's first philosopher. Edgy and looks cool.

I liked it because I thought it was funny. There are other reasons, but that is a main one. That and Office Space always made me laugh every time I watched them.

When I was 15-16 I watched this film and it resonated so fucking deeply with me it was insane. In this fucked up world where you are told not to be masculine the idea of an outlet like at the fight club was tantalizing. I would rewatch those scenes where it contrasted normal life and the fight club over and over again, something about the bond of a brotherhood, a secret club and how badass Tyler Durden looked really fucking appealed to me (no homo). I also liked (and still like) all the philosophy shit, it feels like it means much more than just a movie. The most impactful film I've ever watched.

-one plot point
-some punchlines

>implying black people have the mental capacity to appreciate Fight Kino

because most teenagers are the narrator but want to become Tyler Durden.

The chapter early on where Tyler is on the beach setting everything in place just to have that one moment of perfection.

It really spoke out imo

is there even a single nigger in fight club? maybe this is part of its appeal.

everyone goes through the edgelord phase

The Police Cheif

Yes, the woman Norton explains about his job was black

>which car company did you say you worked for?
>a major one

also a couple of the early members are black as well.

but none of them beat up a white guy, show their rippling muscles or have sex with white girls.

You mean the black dude "how bout next week' who fucks up Jack??

It's one of my sisters favorite movies. And she's what could be classified as a SJW.

deals with tons of stuff males feel but everyone tries to ignore

It impacted people?

your negro friend is a patrician. only the 15 years old r/movies rejects and losers who post here could waste even a second of their time with that trash.

This, best part in the book.
Also there's the part where he kills his boss with napalm poured into a crt display and the cops come after him and pretend to cut off his balls but just end up drugging him and leaving him in the blown out ruin of his old apartment.
I liked the book more t b h

You. I like you.

Just watched the film again. Fucking ending is so good holy shit, when the buildings explode, awesome. Lots of the philosophy shit still hits hard.

>violence isn't constructive and doesn't resolve your problems

Want to know how I know you're some western upper middle class moron ingrate on the blood and seat of his violent ancestors?

Patrice O'neal has a pretty good analysis of the film.

youtube.com/watch?v=cEewY8WPVv8

"We're a generation of men raised by women"

It's funny, but not good.

Because it covers two important phases of teenagehood:

The Fight Club is male bonding, being together with other men, feeling part of something greater.

Tyler Durden is the man we wish we were, the man that society doesn't want us to be. A free man, free from everything that keeps us down to live petty boring lives. He's the rockstar, he's the rebel leader, he's the Chad you're not.

The twist is meant to symbolize that the narrator could have been everything he wanted, be part of what he wanted but to do so he had to become someone else entirely.

When his beta nature takes over, when he finds out he and Tyler are the same person, the fight club dies and so does Tyler.

It's funny because its true

He's missing one important piece of the puzzle. Fight club is black gang culture applied to whitey. Losers and orphans banding together to wreck shit up and get back at The Man. But Patrice seems to have conveniently missed this.

Does it though? It would seem like most of them are complete fags these days.

He's only wrong about differentiating between white and black people when he should be saying suburbanites.

It's done for different reasons, though. Black gangs were groups overtly downtrodden by poverty. Fight Club was a white gang intellectually downtrodden by a constrictive culture. Black gags are in it for money and power. The people in FC already have that, but must spend every hour of every day acting a certain way to maintain that money and power. They wanted freedom.

Never related to either of these characters as a teen. Grew up as a single child also. I thought the whole IKEA thing and justifying his self-worth with the kind of furniture he got was nonsense, but understandable. The whole fight club was nonsense as well, except that time it was completely idiotic.

In the end all this movie was to me was a story of a kind of mediocre guy fueling his ego trip with whatever fantasy-turned-reality dick stroking bullshit the plot could come up. Pitt was kind of cool, but his motivations were essentially idiotic and there was little of worth to derive from the whole thing.

>Metalacolypse
>Dethklok pretends to be a Dethklok cover band because hate the burden of being a large band
>Doing all the work and playing for shit crowds is nostalgic at first, but quickly helps them remember why they wanted the money and power in the first place
Like pottery