The whole stigma about "you're only a good musician if you know theory" is complete bullshit...

The whole stigma about "you're only a good musician if you know theory" is complete bullshit. I can easily name 10+ musicians that don't know a lick of theory but are on a label and tour.

What I'm trying to say is, people who know theory need to get off their high horse and stop acting like you're better than non theory inclined musicians.

Conversely, people who are too lazy to read up on a little theory should stop pretending they're making some deep, artistic choice in not learning theory, and admit that they are simply lazy.

this

The whole stigma about "you're only a good writer if you know how to read" is complete bullshit. I can easily name 10+ writers that communicate only by cave painting, and they are very well reviewed by Robert Christgau.

What I'm trying to say is, people who know the alphabet need to get off their high horse and stop acting like you're better than cavemen.

What is the motivation for making a thread like this, did someone laugh at you or something?

The whole stigma about "you're only a good doctor if you went to med school" is complete bullshit. I can easily name 10+ witch-doctors that don't know a lick of medicine but are very well respected by their tribe.

What I'm trying to say is, people who know medicine need to get off their high horse and stop acting like you're better than "alternative" physicians.

No, I'm just stating a fact. Sure Theory can be a good thing, it's just not 100% necessary to be a good musician. I can see I rustled a lot of Jimmies of failed musicians lol.

Awww, someones butthurt that their shitty indie band will never be on a label. kys.

This is a stupid analogy.

How could an indie band be on a label? Wouldn't it then cease to be indie?

Agree

Looks like you just don't appreciate the majesty of cave-painting. Educate yourself, unga bunga wordfag.

Only a radiohead fan would think of this analogy lol.

>I can easily name 10+ musicians that don't know a lick of theory but are on a label and tour.
They know theory they just don't know what everything is called. Hendrix, at least in his early days, didn't know what an E7#9 chord was. However he understood the intervals that created it, what sound it created, and where to apply it. The only thing he didn't know was it's name. The difference between someone who knows theory from application and someone who learns theory from studying it, is that it takes the guy that studies it a lot less time to find these interesting chords. The difference between someone who knows theory from application and someone who just doesn't know theory, is the difference between Hendrix and the Shaggs.

>The whole stigma about "you're only a good musician if you know theory" is complete bullshit.

Nope its NOT, if you dont know why we use 12 divisions of octave with A4 being 440, you are letting someone limit your music.

>"limit my music?"
Imagine you are a solo pianist and were hired by a label, and the label owner told, "you can do anything you want and we will release it".
Then he say "you can include the black keys of the piano."
The same thing happens with you, you will be able to play anything you want, but actually not.

>I can see I rustled a lot of Jimmies of failed musicians lol.

This is just making you sound more vengeful and bitter. You're claiming to be disinterested and then showing your butthurt in the very next sentence.

I only like the first side of Kid A in their entire discography. Sorry to disappoint you.

Working at a hospital or office REQUIRES a degree you asshat. A touring and signed musician doesn't. You're a true moron. I mean, it's not like you search for other musicians and the add reads "searching for musicians, degree required" lol. Educate yourself and then come back.

You're

>Educate yourself

How, and in what? Obviously not in music theory.

I just listen to music, i don't make it.
But i imagine a musician who doesn't understand the theory is about equivalent to a programmer who doesn't understand mathematics.
i.e. you're a retard

More theory/history knowledge will not make anyone better automatically it also does not make anyone a worse musician. No downside to it, really. Music theory is not extremely complex most of the time anyway, shouldn't be for musicians at least.

Labels sign Musicians that don't have degrees quite frequently. Your analogy is overused and dumb. Try again.

Just because you get signed to a label doesn't automatically make your music good, or that people want to hear it. For every good musician signed to a label there are probably 20 that suck.

It's not music theory. It's music nomenclature and if you can't at least see the advantage in people agreeing what to call things, you're a fucking retard.

ITT: campus guitar guy says music theory isn't important.

The musicians that you claim don't know music theory probably do know music theory. Any reputable musician will have at the very least basic knowledge of music theory.

Music theory = knowing the names and relationships of the different intervals.

Let me list the best guitar players I have ever heard of and we can see if they know any music theory.

Tony MacAlpine, Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan, John McLaughlin, Alan Holdsworth, Feodor Dosumov, Daniel Davidsen, Tosin Abasi, Paul Waggoner, Jason Becker, Yngwie Malmsteen,

I'll stop there. 100% of talented guitarists know their music theory. Music is their life, it's necessary. That's like pretending to be a physicist and not knowing any of the calculations.

+1

Theory makes you better - like knowing how to read. But the most important thing is "hearing" things correctly. Most people can't fucking hear what works and what doesn't. Hendrix didn't know a third of the theory, but heard things and could fit them in correctly

/thread

OP is an idiot.

>I can easily name 10+ musicians
wowee, that's a lot of musicians

Deez