Teach me how to invest Sup Forums. I'm a 22 year old male making $30,000/yr and living on my own. How do I get started...

Teach me how to invest Sup Forums. I'm a 22 year old male making $30,000/yr and living on my own. How do I get started? What would be some smart investments? Any I should stay away from? I've been doing some research, but thought I'd ask you guys' opinion as well. Some of you seem to be successful at it (or claim to be anyway).

ask those snobs at /biz/

I like you fags better.

Hands down best investment...
Pokemon and Magic cards.
Go all in now
Buy
Buy
BUY!

invest in lottery tickets

> asking for investment tips on an Icelandic foot massaging forum

Invest in China

Icelandic foot massage sounds like a business that would take off actually. You're a genious, user!

Breed expensive dogs

open a forex account and trade

I mean, Icelandic massages, maybe. Just foot massages is a little too niche.

Make sure you're poised before you start.

Are you stable? Do you have adequate cash reserves for emergencies? Any outstanding debt?

1. 401 k + match
2. Ira
3. cash
Low cost s&up 500 index fund. Google modern portfolio theory.

This is long term "low risk/low reward" style, and a good starter pack. I second this..

I'm financially stable, yes. I have a few grand set aside. I have 0 outstanding debt

Great, start with this.

Something like this is the advice I was looking for. A nice low risk starter pack. I'm also looking for something I could invest my last $100 in with a chance that it could make me rich overnight.

you're 22 and making 30k.

you're very average

start socking away a small portion of your salary every other week. put it in an index fund. Vanguard is fine, so is anything run by USAA. avoid anything actively managed, as that is generally shit.

>I'm also looking for something I could invest my last $100 in with a chance that it could make me rich overnight.

this does not exist, short of hoping you win the powerball lottery. odds are very good that you won't win.

How exactly do I get started in the stock market? I don't feel like I need to hire a broker to handle a few hundred to a thousand dollars worth of stocks. Is it as easy as making an account on a website and clicking "add to cart"?

For "overnight riches" you're looking at penny stocks. They're a retard's investment, they rarely give a return, but, if they work, can multiply your input.

One of the keys to investing is patience. I think that $100 would be better off in a savings account.

Best investment would be in skills or education. After that, starting your own business.
If you want to buy stock- look up the "couch potato fund" You just buy index funds that will match the overall performance of the stock market. And you also invest in treasury bills, staggered or 'laddered' with varying dates when they mature. It's all really simple and easy to follow- it a buy and hold strategy with no churning of and constant sales of stocks.

the stock market is not for you. not at 30k a year.

You could try day-trading, but that is borderline gambling, which means a select few earn a living at it, but for everyone else its just pure chance.

>Once you have an emergency fund, bad things magically stop happening to you.

This is the fucking truth, and it's bullshit that now that I can handle some shit, I have no shit to handle.

/biz/ would probably tell you to open a forex or robinhood account. Manage a portfolio from your smartphone. I haven't looked into it, so I can't personally endorse it, but it seems like that's what you're after.

addendum: if you're an amoral piece of shit, you can pump and dump these for a better chance of success.

>Is it as easy as making an account on a website and clicking "add to cart"?

Pretty much.
But buy and hold to avoid paying shit tons of brokerage fees. You pay a fee every time you buy OR sell.

Index funds are an easy, no brainer way to start. Set up a automatic purchase each paycheck.

You can buy the same stocks every time and their per share cost will "average out" to result in a fair price per share through the year. Also called "dollar cost averaging"

Buy $100-$150 each paycheck.
This assumes you're already maxing out your 401K contribution. with employer matching- a 401K is free money!

You should save about 6 months of expenses in a savings account that you can tap for an emergency then start contributing to an IRA. Your company may offer one. If it does match their contribution once you can do that then you can start fucking around with stocks and forex, but you must must must get the basics in order before you start fucking around with risky shit in the stock market.

life's funny like that. i'm glad things are looking up for you, at least.