American "education"

>american "education"

Other urls found in this thread:

oecd.org/pisa/pisa-2015-results-in-focus.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number
wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/wiadomosci/1,156046,20041521,matura-2016-matematyka-odpowiedzi-poziom-rozszerzony-rozwiazania.html
fr.scribd.com/doc/233602815/Barnetts-Identity-Pdf1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Barnett
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

depending on the context this is completely acceptable

complex numbers are a spook

This is stuff done in middle school Sven

there are no complex numbers in middle school josh

>lying to impress the Euros

Pathetic

WTF I hate this class now

I'm sorry you went to a shit school friend

>Swedish """Education"""

It could actually be middleschool, while it uses the i (j is superior anyway, suck my engineer dick mathematicians) it's just used as a normal variable. You could replace i with x and it would be the same, not exactly doing complex stuff with it.

of course it is probable and likely since it is a constant but it won't be on some quiz or test, maybe hw or example

>question literally involves squaring i
>"it's semantically equivalent to a single-variable polynomial"
the absolute state of Swedish engineering

>question literally involves squaring sqrt x
>this is too hard for the leaf

If you've done roots you can square i as long as you've been told what it is (and it does tell you). I don't quite remember middle school (or equivalent), but quite sure simple roots like that were covered.

It's specified in the question that i=√-1

So basically whoever solves those problems properly is considered smart enough to be admitted to Harvard?

SAT
No, this is after high school.
It's the calculatorless part of the SAT.
That's 8th grade, and dragged down by shit schools in shit areas. Our SAT is much harder.
Yes, but they use other SAT tests too.

>this shit is SATs

Jesus Christ, no wonder people call even MIT a meme nowadays, if these are the expectations from people entering it.

It's fucking insane. The part where you have a calculator is somewhat easier than swedish SAT.

Here are the first 5 questions from swedish SAT:
1) 5(x+6) = 6(x+5)
What is x?
0, 5, 6, 30
2) 5^33 is an integer. What's the last digit?
0, 1, 5, 9
3) What is 0,4-(1/4)
0, 0.3, 1/8, 3/20
4) f(x) is a linear function the graph of which intersects the point (0, 4) and intersects the graph of g(x) = -x - 2 perpendicularly. What is f(x)?
x + 4, x - 4, -x, -x + 2
5) x > 0
What is x^(k+1) * x^k?
x^(k(k+1)), x^(2k+1), x, x^(2k-1)
6) What is with certainty correct regarding x and y?
(Pic related)
x+y = 12, x/y = 1, 36/x = y, (x + y)^2 = 36

I understood everything apart from the imaginary numbers part. What the fuck

Thats literally the first 4 questions on the no calc Math SAT section, which scales up in difficulty as you go.

This means that those are the easiest questions on the test.

What's so difficult about the imaginary part?

I have no idea what to do

Yes, this is slightly harder than the OP pic, but don't suck your own dick over it.

Oh boy, it's a foreigner pretends to understand our education system thread, I love these!

Why would you purposefully spread misinformation

No you also have to have perfect grades and have cured AIDS as an extra curricular

MIT also requires to apply (to actually get in you need to be perfect and have cured AIDs):
>One of the ACT/SAT/TOEFL
>One of the Math 1 SAT II/Math 2 SAT II (SAT II is another additional test administered by the College Board that is specific to the subject area and actually has complex questions, scored out of 800)
>One of Biology SAT II/Chemistry SAT II/Physics SAT II
>3 letters of recommendation (1 from a math/science teacher, 1 humanities, 1 guidance consoler)
>couple short essays
>interview with an alumni (not required but you basically aren't admitted if you don't)
>transcript and shit so they can see your grades

Its just the square root of -1, it allows you to take the square root of negative numbers.
i=i
i^2=-1
i^3=-i
i^4=1

No, they're equipercentile equated.

>Our SAT is much harder.
Sweden doesn't have an SAT you mongoloid. It's a totally different test.

>That's 8th grade, and dragged down by shit schools in shit areas

So literally no different from the US

You have no excuse.

Swedes are dumb as fuck.

Oh, so the answer is 14 + 18i, right?

Högskoleprovet, literally "high school test", with " high school" mening college/university. The English name is SweSAT.
No, the SAT is for people who have graduated high school.
Yes.

>literally just two ranks below

Yeah thats right. The question tries to trap you with 9i^2

Our SAT is just as hard as Sweden's, I don't understand what's his deal. He even put part of their SAT on here.

Yeah, except Americans suck at mathematics and is by far its worst subject. The aggregate scores are much worse, see

bravo estonia!

>i
>not j
also,
>imaginary numbers coupled with secondary school questions
what

>shanghai number 1
wow these are totally legitimate statistics

>2012
Now let's see how it evolved.
Hmmm....

SWEDES BTFO

>MIT a meme
Once you get in the top 50 universities (or even moreso in the top 10), the difference in difficulty is minimal. University rankings are rotten as fuck at that point and it becomes about who pays the most rather than which one is best.

Hmmm, an improvement. Still pretty embarrassing that you barely edge out against us desu. Also you still do worse in science and reading.
oecd.org/pisa/pisa-2015-results-in-focus.pdf

Still easy, I mean it's middle school level maths.

>for i is square root -1

Since when can you do that with negative numbers?

technically u can't, but its imaginary numbers. Thing that doesn't exist

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number

So why is MSU so highly rated then?

How old are you? 12?

>tfw failed algebra 2 but still graduated

Whats MSU? Michigan State University? Thats a good school, its probably ranked highly due to high research output. its not ranked extremely high in domestic rankings because its not that good (#82 in USNews which is the most reputable for US Domestic undergrad rankings). Its ok for engineering and business, its extremely good at packaging and logistica specifically. Looking at Global rankings on USNews, its #78 which is higher but that is definitely exclusively due to research.

What site are you using for global rankings? USNews is the best for domestic undergrad but for international it is absolute trash and better used as a ranking of research budgets for grad school.

Moscow state university.

>european education

I'm sorry I can't speak to the quality of Russian Unis, all I know is that the Moscow ones are the best and all the oligarch children get auto admission due to corruption.

The question increase in difficulty by number. You just posted the four easiest questions of the entire exam, congrats

I'm sorry James I must have misunderstood, clearly these are much harder.

i was about to post a golden kek but i looked back and the wording is really weird

the SAT's passing requirements are also lowered so that enough students pass every year

>mfw dumb americans actually believe a squared number can be negative
American """""""""education""""""""""

>European """education"""

>swedes score lower on pisa averages

made me think

Meanwhile in Poland
wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/wiadomosci/1,156046,20041521,matura-2016-matematyka-odpowiedzi-poziom-rozszerzony-rozwiazania.html
>Given the polynomial x^2+2(m+1)x+6m+1 find all values of m for which the polynomial has 2 different roots of the same sign and |x1-x2|

HEY YOU DUMBFUCKS
THE SAT MATH SECTION GETS PROGRESSIVELY HARDER
THAT'S WHY IT IS LIKE 6TH GRADE MATH FOR THE FIRST FEW QUESTIONS

ah yes the start of the grid ins

fuck i wish i was a first worlder . your shit is too easy

Math is a spook

I seriously did that stuff in middle school though.
That stuff is algebra 2 tier at most.

men i fucking hated arithmetics back in high school, complex numbers were kinda cool tho

>imaginary numbers
Honestly, I'm really fucking triggered. Fuck those.

its fucking easy men i*i=-1 how hard is that

That's because you're a retard. It's pretty much a smarter way to say (x,y) coordinate with defined multiplication on those.

kek, reminds me of Barnett's identity
fr.scribd.com/doc/233602815/Barnetts-Identity-Pdf1

>tfw this fucktard even has a wikipedia page
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Barnett

fucking autism

hey user what is the primitive of sin^4 (x)

its 4 . pi is one half of a cercle

brb killing myself

Jesus Christ, that is some ridiculous shit. I remember when a classmate created an algorithm that generated theoretical autocovariance matrices for ARMAX processes. He thought he was a special snowflake until he found out that such algorithms already existed and his was horribly inefficient. It was still pretty cool though.

You can just use half-angle identities. Pretty simple. 3x/8-(1/4)sin(2x)+(1/32)sin(4x)+D, for constant D

Terribly sorry once again James, must have gotten those mixed up. As you can see here the SAT is clearly one of the most grueling exams, selecting only the best and the brightest. It all makes sense now.

I think they're made differently. Our tests check basic maths, but you need to do it quickly and without any errors.

>what are vectors
>they're so hard
>look at me I can solve them despite being functionally retarded
So, which one is it?

Maybe, are these difficulties lowered for women's education?

Would you like me to present you with a problem that you may not be able to solve? Or does your ego not allow you to accept challenges, friend?