Hey Sup Forums I'm upgrading my gaming PC and i want to know if the i7 intel core Prosser is worth it

Hey Sup Forums I'm upgrading my gaming PC and i want to know if the i7 intel core Prosser is worth it

only worth if you are doing video edditing. I5 is just enough if you dont do video editing.

which one are you going for ?

also it's caturday

you don't need to shell out that much for a decent processor and in a year or so something better will come out and the price of that one will drop, just buy something that came out a year or two ago for literally half the price

Plenty. RAM is the key if were talking Windows.
Spend money on a good graphics adapter, the 1070 is great, buy a SSD for speed in general.
If you are uncertain, fire up task manager while gaming and look at performance, the details will tell you where the botleneck is.

Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor

It's overkill for just gaming. I have a 6700k and even that's overkill, it barely breaks a sweat. You're choice of gpu is ultimately more important, just pick a cpu that won't bottleneck your gpu.

>i7-7700K
not bad get it

Keep in mind memory bandwidth (speed) - and what chipset you're going to use.

Some of the low-end chipsets are pretty bad performance wise, even when they support the CPU you want. They are also limited on number of PCIe lanes, in case you want to run two video cards.

I always look at the top-of-the-line CPU and then back off a few clicks. The extra speed is not worth the extra $'s.

On the other hand, you're looking at an unlocked version, and sometimes only the top-tier CPU comes in an unlocked version.

While we're discussing CPUs.

When I built my computer, I had a limited budget so I cut corners on all the things I felt could be replaced later on. Graphics card, got 16gb of RAM instead of 32 like I wanted, etc. I also did this with the CPU. I got an i3 with plans to replace it with an i7 in the future. Can this just be done? I'm probably going to have to at least reinstall the operating systems, right?

You have to make sure the socket is the same or else you're gonna have to replace the entire motherboard. Also what are you doing with the computer that made you want 32gb of ram? If it's just gaming there is literally no point in more than 16gb

But no, you do not need to reinstall os to swap cpu.

Also remember that the i7 will probably need more power, and better cooling wouldn't be a bad idea either, especially if you plan to overclock.

Wait for am4+ bruh

>I'm probably going to have to at least reinstall the operating systems, right?
No, but you might have to reactivate windows. I'm not up on all the criteria, but when you change hardware, if you change too much, Windows will have to reactivate.

I don't think it'll happen if you just change the CPU though.

Keep in mind the motherboard you have, and if it supports the new CPU. Check with the manufacturer. There are all sorts of requirements BEYOND just the socket type.

No. Get a good i5

Get it but you should also pick up a z270 motherboard, also only faggots don't get asus motherboards. As for the question honestly I feel like the 7600k is the best bazinga for buck.
>inb4 de prosser isnt stronge enouf

Game development, animation, etc. Little of everything. Mainly game development.

Oh definitely. More cooling wasn't strictly necessary when building so that was going to be a later thing, probably when I do get the i7.

When it comes to the motherboard, I know it will work. I used one of those build assistant websites to make sure the final idea was compatible, then swapped out for the cheaper parts.

OS I'm not sure. I was going to backup all my shit at some point and reinstall shit anyway because at the moment all I have is Linux. As much as I love Linux, windows is too much of a standard for some things so I have to at least dual boot.

The i5 6600k is pretty much the cpu of the moment. Anything more than that is pretty much plain overkill and not really good value for money.
I got a 6600k and a rx480 and all will be well for a good while yet. Same is true for the 6600k/1070 camp if you don't like amd.

Would you recommend the rx480?

yep, the 470 is good enough really though so don't pay too much more for the 480. I got the 480 with an ott 8gb as it had 20% cashback from MSI and Civ vi for free but I think I would have another if needed at full price.

You can game well enough on a pentium, i3 is going to be enough, i5 is where many settle to be safe, i7 you're wasting cash. Take the processor money and shift it towards a better video card. I'm assuming you're already going for at least 16gig ram and a solid state drive for the OS drive.