Did you read it in the news? It is UNBELIEVABLE

Did you read it in the news? It is UNBELIEVABLE.

Apparently Muricans decided it is a good idea to put MILLIONS of BLACK BALLS on the surface of an artificial lake "to prevent the water from getting sunburned".

Pretty retarded if you ask me.

ITT: we make fun of murilards

Other urls found in this thread:

news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150812-shade-balls-los-angeles-California-drought-water-environment/
ladwpnews.com/go/doc/1475/2588938/Shade-Balls-Frequently-Asked-Questions
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck you

lol wat

Oh look it's this thread again

Happened last year, also it worked

Black balls matter

It shows evaporation since the balls absorb sunlight.

That leaves more water for you to drink you fucking idiot.

That moment when you remember that there are actually people who belive shit like this.

Still don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

YOU are the fucktard.

Nigger that's dark matter, you would know that if you had a fucking rocket ship that moves the universe around itself but you fucking don't.

th fun thing is: muricans actually BELIEVE that black balls STOPS evaporating water. pretty dum, as everybody knows that black balls actually ABSORB light, getting HOTTER, thus leading to MORE evaporation.

but then "muh water"

die of dehydration you degenerated nigger/spic/slav-hybrids

>what is evaporation

retard detected
that is a very common practice in hot low humidity places to reduce the rate of evaporation

you people are all wrong. the balls just block light to algae, and will limit its growth.

And yet, OP, you've had more black balls than that in your mouth.

niggers, that guy here is right:

it'll speed evaporation because black absorbs heat and the temperature of the water will increase. maybe white balls would slow evaporation

Los Angeles was the first city in the United States to use shade balls, which now cover three other reservoirs. The 4-inch balls are weighted down with water inside, which helps keep them in place to block out sunlight on the water's surface.

The black, plastic shade balls, which are made in Los Angeles for 36 cents, protect the water against dust, rain, birds, wildlife and chemical reactions caused by the sun. It also helps keep the water in the reservoir from evaporating.

"By reducing evaporation, these shade balls will conserve 300 million gallons of water each year, instead of just evaporating into the sky. That's 300 million gallons to fight this drought," Mayor Eric Garcetti said.

Mandated by the Environmental Protection Agency to cover all reservoirs, initial estimates came in at $300 million to cover the 175-acre facility, but the shade balls cost less than $35 million. These major savings, both financially and environmentally, are setting Los Angeles ahead of the curve.

"While it's meeting the minimum standards, we want to go beyond that and have the healthiest water so we've been spreading these balls everywhere," Garcetti said.

City officials say shade balls last about 10 years. The LADWP says they will be removed, recycled and replaced.

source:
abc7.com/news/millions-of-shade-balls-protecting-los-angeles-reservoir/920083/

>implying you know more than people who actually do this shit for a living

Shouldn't the balls be white????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

uh.. evaporation doesn't have to do with the heat at these temps. it is about the sunlight hitting it directly.

what *feels* hotter to your skin - standing outside with the sun hitting right on you, or the same temperature, but with clouds?

>"By reducing evaporation, these shade balls will conserve 300 million gallons of water each year, instead of just evaporating into the sky. That's 300 million gallons to fight this drought," Mayor Eric Garcetti said.

>keep water from evaporating
>no rain
>we're fighting the drought

Depends on how deep is the dildo.

Black balls saving the world is a common phenomenon.

>what *feels* hotter to your skin

>evaporation is about how the water feels

>That leaves more water for you to drink you fucking idiot.

LOL we drinking big black ball water bruh. Swallow that big black ball water.

ITT:

People that only know high school chem/phys, and think the balls should be white, because somehow black balls are going to raise the temperature of the water to boiling and cause it to evaporate.

Also slows algae growth and slows production of bromate

no. that would just make the light bounce. black absorbs the light. and they do not get hot enough from it. conservation of energy bitches.

look up what an analogy is, and think hard and figure out how it applies.

ever been to greece or spain? southern italy? notice how their buildings are not painted black.
it is physics.

Preventing water from evaporating by producing a massive quantity of plastic objects cannot be cost effective.
It's so obvious there's even no need to explain further.
This is stupid. Some plastic company gave money to the right public agent under the table so that this "project" could be realized.
This is a shame. This is corruption.

No. Black balls are dominate and superior. White balls are inferior and beta.
See:

...fucking idiot.
at least try instead of halfassed trolling m8.

light does not directly cause evaporation, heat and wind do. light causes algae to grow, maybe its to prevent that.

This isn't new in any shape or form, been done for years.

It is.

their houses are not made of modern plastic. your comparing apples to bricks.

different materials handle things in different ways.

yes a black street will get hotter than a white one. but it's made of a material that retains the heat well.

these balls do not retain heat well by design, so they do not store the energy from it.

Are...are you serious? You think that's enough balls to fill a lake rather than just sit on top like intended?

I don't mean this as an insult, but do you have a learning disability?

Picture is fake obviously, why would anyone pour balls in a lake

lake users getting getting cucked hard by big black balls

was going to post this. Yet another great American invention takes the day.

Each ball represents a dead negro

If I dip my nutsack in your cup of green tea and let it steep for a while, is it not ball tea?

Not real

>has been done for years thus it cant be dumb

TRIGGERED

news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150812-shade-balls-los-angeles-California-drought-water-environment/
i googled it and read it.
now it's your turn.
if you don't understand it to hell with you.

Is it some kind of art happening?

work with this stuff?

what

putting black balls in water is not work.

also can someone give a link to a source who says why they put these here

nvm reverse image search

Then maybe this project would be cost effective for the USA.

I really wouldn't call californians "American" anymore.

>Preventing water from evaporating by producing a massive quantity of plastic objects cannot be cost effective.

Because plastic balls are so expensive to produce right? If only manufacturers could get the price down low enough to make almost all everyday items out of plastic then we'd live in a utopia! And if they could find a way to reuse old plastic to make new things....

You're right, can't be cost effective

kek if this is real then how stupid are you fuckers

surface temperature matters very little. It's the radiation penetrating the water and heating it directly at greater depths, causing a much greater increases in temperature because it has less dispersal. Also, the black balls on the surface have contact with the air on a far greater amount of surface area than with the water, allowing the air to disperse most of the heat.

it is. I posted the source after that.

literally saving 300 million gallons of water a year and they are doubting the science behind the decisions made by top world scientists

e=mc^kek

Apparently the program cost like $35m and over a decade could save $250m due to reduced costs for treating the water. They claim the balls also reduce bacterial growth as a result of lack of sunlight. That said, it is California...

nice bait

and if you are not baiting then...

the black balls pass on the energy to the water faster if they do not store energy well

Dude just stfu

that's not true tho

that's not how energy is transferred in this situation. the air circulating on top of the balls cools them, and the water in them. then heat energy is passed from the water below since it's warmer than the balls.

it's like how a water evaporator ac works.

your knowledge of science is horrendously wrong.

oh shit

>I really wouldn't call southerners "American" anymore.

I'd call them traitors to Russia. They're descendants of their traitorous confederate rebel fathers and should have all been executed for starting the Civil War.

"Shade balls are a great example of how engineering meets common sense," LADWP general manager Marcie Edwards said in Garcetti's press release. "... As we make updates, we are mindful to be wise and practical with our investments. Shade balls are an affordable and effective way to comply with regulations, and help us continue to deliver the best drinking water to our customers. Using shade balls has greatly reduced the percentage of water getting sunburned - and thus reducing the percentage of water molecules that develops some form of cancer. Edward said further:' Drinking cancerous water may lead to cancer in human bodies. And we don't want that. We do everything we can to stop the water from getting sunburned."

36ct per unit, to cover let's say 10 square inches. Thats utterly stupid.

1/?
source: ladwpnews.com/go/doc/1475/2588938/Shade-Balls-Frequently-Asked-Questions

What is the primary purpose of deploying shade balls on the surface of LA's reservoirs?
The small, black plastic balls protect water quality by preventing sunlight-triggered chemical reactions. A cost-effective investment that helps bring the Los Angeles Reservoir into compliance with federal water quality mandates, the shade balls are expected to save $250 million when compared to the number and magnitude of alternate projects and solutions considered to meet that goal. Those alternatives included splitting the reservoir into two with a bisecting dam; and installing two floating covers that would have cost more than $300 million. On the contrary, each shade ball was placed at a cost of 36 cents, making the total cost of the Los Angeles Aqueduct project approximately $34.5 million. The shade balls will also prevent the annual loss to evaporation of about 300 million gallons of water.

Is it safe for shade balls to be in contact with drinking water?
The plastic used to make shade balls is food grade and brings no known issues for health and safety. As a matter of fact, the same plastic is used for water pipes worldwide. The shade ball material and production process have been certified by National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) International. The balls comply with federal standards and are considered safe to be in contact with drinking water.

2/?

>Of What Materials are the shade balls constructed?
Shade balls are made of high density polyethylene (HDPE) resin with a black colorant that inhibits ultra-violet light degradation. All shade balls have a 4-inch outer diameter. The balls used on the Los Angeles Reservoir weigh 40 grams and are filled with 200 grams of drinking water to give them weight so they are not blown away by wind gusts, as the reservoir is located in a high gust area. Shade balls in place at other LA reservoirs - Elysian, Ivanhoe and Upper Stone Canyon - are hollow and not filled with water.

>Why are the balls black? Wouldn't lighter colors be better at deflecting heat?
The balls are black because they have "carbon black" in them as a UV stabilizing agent, which gives them their lifespan. Other colors such as white were considered, but not selected because they contained dyes that could leach into the water. A blue shade that is food grade and not a potential contaminant was considered. However, the manufacturers were not sure the balls would last longer than a year in the sun. The black balls have proven to survive outdoors and are approved for drinking water contact. According to the NSF International, which tested and certified the balls for contact with drinking water, the carbon black does indeed make the plastic more thermally, structurally, and chemically stable and resistant to UV degradation.

In this case it's to reduce bromate formation.

3/?

>Doesn't this exacerbate the heat island effect and/or create a bacteria breeding ground?
We have found no significant or abnormal heat effects on the water. It is our observation that although the top surface of the shade balls absorb heat, the heat is not well conducted (plastic is a poor conductor) down to the water surface and the air. Rather, the shade balls act as a 4-inch insulation blanket since the 98 million balls cover the surface of the Los Angeles Reservoir. The reservoir itself, since it is such a deep pool of relatively cool water, helps to keep itself thermally stable at the surface.

>Were balls made in other colors considered?
Yes. LADWP worked with the manufacturers to consider other colors including blue. However, the lack of UV stabilizers and inhibitors in the color resins that were tested did not hold up well to sunlight and the balls would have degraded within one to five years. Other colors would not totally block UV light and would have required dyes, which do leach into the water. The carbon black does not emit or leach any chemicals.

The balls containing the carbon black blocked out sunlight more effectively and resisted degradation longer. The black shade balls had also been certified to be safe to be in contact with drinking water by NSF International.

>Are the balls made of recycled content?
No. Only new high density polyethylene is used. The balls are completely recyclable.

>shade balls
They are BLACK BALLS. Say it with me, BLACK. BALLS. BIG BLACK BALLS!

4/?

>Will the balls allow a location for additional bacteria to grow and enter the water supply?
LADWP provides filtration and disinfection of the water before and again after it leaves the reservoir. Our water quality monitoring is vigorous and we constantly test the water at each step of the treatment process and during distribution for abnormalities. Today, LA’s drinking water consistently meets or is better than all drinking water standards for water quality.

>Do shade balls help conserve water that would otherwise be lost to evaporation? If so, how much?
Shade balls contribute to reducing the effects of evaporation by reducing the water surface area exposed to the sun, and by reducing the flow of wind above the water surface. It is estimated that up to 90 percent of water that would be lost due to evaporation could be saved when the reservoir is fully covered with shade balls.

>What company fabricates the shade balls?

Two vendors provided shade balls for Los Angeles Reservoir. The primary vendor was Artisan Screen Printing, a small minority-owned blow-molding business based in Azusa. They provided 89.6 million balls. The second vendor was Big Nigga Ballz, a small woman-owned broker out of Glendora providing balls manufactured by Microdyne Plastics out of Colton. They provided 6.4 million balls.

5/?

Im a faggot.

That also looks like a green house, the fucks a green house tarp gonna do to prevent the water from getting sunburned?

Think man.

While boats can get through balls pretty easy, I imagine a huge fucking tarp would be a problem.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in ball studies, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret ball drops on over 300 confirmed lakes. I am trained in spherical warfare and I’m the top tea bagger in the entire US ball force. You are nothing to me but just another pond. I will wipe you the fuck out with big black balls the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of ball droppers across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the balls, maggot. The balls that wipe out the pathetic little thing you call your evaporation problem. You’re water loss will be dead, kid. I can drop balls anywhere, anytime, and I can save your lake in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my own two balls. Not only am I extensively trained in ball combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Ball Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable water retention levels off the face of the ecological teams graphs, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit balls all over you and you will drown in them. You’re Lake is fucking saved, kiddo.

lol @ company name

Op you can suck my cock.

That's inaccurate. I work with plastics. They could have simply use the natural color of the virgin plastic as it comes from the petrochemical company. Thats a translucent white. No problem with the UV with this uncolored balls because the UV couldn't go through anyway: UV are easily stopped. Sun blockers are an example.

Now the REAL reason they used black: they can put whatever dirty recycled HDPE of any color and then put a little of the black pigment, which is the cheapest pigment of all. But the dangers here are obvious. I have absolutely no doubt that chemicals will be released in the water sooner or later. Read my lines.

>>What company fabricates the shade balls?
>Two vendors provided shade balls for Los Angeles Reservoir. The primary vendor was Artisan Screen Printing, a small minority-owned blow-molding business based in Azusa. They provided 89.6 million balls. The second vendor was Big Nigga Ballz, a small woman-owned broker out of Glendora providing balls manufactured by Microdyne Plastics out of Colton. They provided 6.4 million balls.

>The second vendor was Big Nigga Ballz,

>virgin plastic

The white balls would slow evaporation better but since these things were made to be used under intense sunlight and UV radiation of southern Cali, the polyethylene would've been breaking down within 2-3 years instead of the projected 10 that these balls need to last for.

So you have alternatives: more UV resistant acrylic/polycarbonate composite polymers that have to be dyed white and maintained with expensive antioxidants and UV protectants a wet oxidizing environment but drastically bump up the cost of $0.36/ball

or

just add cheap and time-tested carbon black (used in car tires and is known to protect it for decades under the shittiest conditions). You sacrifice a bit of evaporation for cost and reliability and it still works to save more water.

Remove the net in case you have to..

oh you work with plastics. I didn't realize, your highness. I guess the Los Angeles department of water and power just guesses when it comes to science.

If you can think of a better way to prevent sunburned water, please enlighten us.

This is what happens when sand niggers from shit countries come to britbongland.

Your extruded aluminum frame bumps up the cost at least 40X.

No. People there are just idiots. Or dishonest.

read better. you can just spread this net on the water. it floats.

trips speaks the truth

also, fuck you.

>Plastic will pass the heat to the water
Of course, just like how plastic handles transfer the heat to you hand.

that was california actually

the rest of america tries not to associate with them

They cut evaporation of the water 85-90%, and commiefornia is in a big drought so they need all the water they can get

true, but you are assuming their water would remain in static motion once it has evaporated. You forget that raincoulds could be carried off by the high pressure systems, which were created by the jews,

Water doesn't have to be boiling to evaporate.

You've clearly never worked with a government agency before

its a satirical post dum dum

ITT People more worried about what Americans do then what is happening in their own countries.. Go figure..