Thinking about changing to linux

thinking about changing to linux.

currently using win7, always used windows.

from all guys who know a lot about computers, software etc I hear that linux is better then windows.
is there a difference between ubuntu linux and linux. I googled it and it seems like I'm too stupid to understand.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VjGSMUep6_4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you're too stupid to understand then you're too stupid to run Linux

ubuntu linux is a distribution of linux. but what does it mean?

Just install Ubuntu and move on.
Anything else is too hard or frustrating

If you usually play videogames, don't change to Linux.

dude youre getting a dell

you're too stupid to run linux

Use Mint if you're starting off.

Can't I run it on a VM? My pc should handle it easily I guess.

Linux is better than windows if you know how to use it properly. But if you don't, then stick to windows

If this isn't bait (no offense if it isn't), Ubuntu is what uses Linux. Linux is the kernel. "Operating systems" like Ubuntu that use the Linux kernel are referred to as "distributions" or "distros" for short..

Summed up, Ubuntu is a Linux distribution/distro.

I'd say Ubuntu in a VM is a good place to start.

fuck mint that shit sucks. use ubuntu instead

I'd suggest doing a dual boot to test the waters OP. It's been a long time since I bothered with Linux, but it was fun and I enjoyed customizing everything. I just hated getting random programs and drivers to work all the time. It was a pain in the ass to do over and over again.

If you don't have a reason to switch to linux (i.e. software development) then don't.

/thread

Also, what do you do with your computer, OP?
Lots of vidya?

i7 6700
16gb ddr4 ram
gtx 970

Can I run it on a vm WITHOUT any performance loss? like having linux on my second monitor, and on the first win7

is amdgpu full compatible now? ( i have a R7 260x )

ubuntu is just another version of linux. linux is open source. i would reccomend ubuntu or arch linux for starters like yourself.

Linux is highly configureable. You can literally change anything you want. (With knowledge)
Linux is not an operating system, it is just a kernel. The kernel is the lowest level of your os, it handles the basic i/o of the computer.
Ubuntu is a DISTRIBUTION, a continuation of the kernel that builds on top of it. There are lots of others.
For a beginner, try Elementary OS, Zorin OS (more similar to windows), or Ubuntu.
If you actually want to do anything, you will have to learn the command line. Look up anything you don't know online. Good luck.

Top kek. Ubuntu is corporate faggotry. Mint is great for starting off. Real men build their shit from scratch faggot.

DONT FUCKING DO IT ITS GARBAGE

Fuck off back to your Mac faggot.

linux is just the basic stuff for your computer to run. Ubuntu is added stuff that makes your experience better. (sorry not good at explaining things) just let me say this if you were just to install the linux kernel your experience would be very different from windows or any OS you know. install Ubuntu if you want to start with linux.

You'll probably be fine. 16GB is more than enough for a single VM instance with Ubuntu.

OP again.

to clear shit up
>I'm new to the 'programming scene'. I had an exam about c-prog and while learning it for about 2 days I found it very interesting and I keep learning it and also want to program some shit

>vidya only LoL, like 2 games a day

>my pc should handle a vm (specs above)

linux suck, don't install it faggot

So does your spelling and grammar, faggot. Go back to your Micro$haft faggotry.

I don't know shit about League, right? But gaming performance is, in general, always better on Windows. Again, that's in general.

why not use both for the things they are each good at?

Windows > Linux

Just use a VM or dual boot faggot.

My dick > Your dick

That's what I'm asking for. Left (secondary) monitor: linux
right (primary) monitor win7.
Is this even possible? like easily moving cursor from monitor to monitor (from os to os)

My dick parts the seas.
Your dick farts and queefs.

lol. what a nigger

Top kek.

>thread devolves in to which version of linux is better

Here we have an example of why linux is still at rounding error % of installed OSs.

Ubuntu is fine.

install gentoo faggot

Nothing makes my dick harder than a package.use file.

this thread is lit fam lmao truuuu

Yes you should try ubuntu (easiest to learn, most online support) on virtualbox on your second monitor

It isn't until until you run a Ubuntu on VM

back to you fucking nigger

It's definitely possible. Just don't know how seamless it'd be.

But that would be retarded to switch operating systems and then emulate what you switched from.

I don't speak iPhonese faggot.

I listened to every drake album fam

they are lit af

dont mess with me

Shut up Meg.

Did OP get scared off?

kek sorry m8, install arch then haha

Chmod my dick

>Can I run it on a vm WITHOUT any performance loss?

You're essentially running two operating systems instead of one. What do you think?

It's winehq.org faggot.

ill be that guy
install gentoo
*proud*

>most

get fsck'd

lubunu is the best

you know whats the difference between ubuntu and mint?
color

dual boot would clearly be too advanced for OP

I use Debian Sid on all of my hardware except my gaming rig. My grandparents are using Ubuntu now. They never call me for support anymore.

your grandparents are smarter than you

Why Sid over Arch & co, out of curiosity?

You have 2 options:

1. Use one machine and run a VM on the host OS. Using something like VirtualBox you can click on the VM window and your mouse cursor is captured. There's a key combination to escape from the VM window.

2. Use 2 machines to run 2 differ OSes and use a piece of software that allows you to move you mouse cursor and keyboard input between the 2 machines virtually over the network. This is easy to do and there's a program that can do it for a one time fee of $10. I forget what it's called. I used it working at a software developer which required the use of multiple machines and OSes for development and testing.

HA1
If you didnt get scared, i suggest yo to do not use ubuntu. its highly commercialized distro that by default contain ads in menu start equivalent. I personally think that kubuntu would be good 4u due to kde is quite similar to windows.

I know what dual boot is you dumb nigger cunt

cp

Ya know you can boot from a usb to try any version you fucking like & see if you want to install it....

This is what Linux does to you.
youtube.com/watch?v=VjGSMUep6_4

if mint>ubuntu
/dev/null

Linux users are pedophiles!

i forgot to explain. KDE is default GUI in kubuntu (on linux you can choose how os looks like, its awsome imho)

Just my personal preference.

But can you set it up?

>ygyl
I lost

KDE isn't terrible, but also not great. GNOME is just awful

I don't like how Ubuntu tries to sell you shit now.

do they?

Actually studies show ephebophile.

They're affiliated with Amazon. They include a link to Amazon in the Unity launcher. Maybe that's been removed; I don't use Ubuntu.

Yes, in the software app.

gnome 3 is terrible. 2 is better.

VMs are not that good when it comes to gaming.

don't follow ubuntu after that gnome3 update
this is crime against humanity

u mean
sudo /dev/null >
newfag

Only the smart ones.

its a more secure os with built in encryption.
I use it with my vpn for torrenting and usenet.

:(){ :|: & };:

You mean the wizard one. Not the smart ones.

Install arch for simplicity, or gentoo for customizability.
Slackware is also great but the lack of package manager makes installing software a chore.

I personally don't like Debian based dustros because they are not rolling release. A couple of pros is that they are user friendly and easy to install. I also dislike how big they are.

our PCs in the university have this option after few seconds after starting the pc where you can chose linux or windows. that's dual boot, right.

No, I can't set it up.

Actually it's a GNU/Linux distribution

/etc/modprobe/.d/blacklist ubuntu_fag

Yes. It's very easy to set up; you'll be fine.

I heard that you should install the two systems at the same time. But to do that you'll need a 2nd optic device

You could start using Ubuntu in a VM,
once you learn more how it works and more about using the command line,
you might want to try another distribution.

pidof faggot
kill 718106334

>But to do that you'll need a 2nd optic device
troll or retard