Whats the deal with prog rock and the organ?

Whats the deal with prog rock and the organ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6VAzkN_qJig
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>DSOTM
>prog rock

it sounds good

This is redditor/normie shit my man and barely qualifies as "prog" expand your horizons

Everyone knows that rock organ peaked with Deep Purple

>DSOTM
>prog rock

what is this meme
it's clearly prog rock

>pic not related

>muh money is in 7/4
>Le experimental cash and change sounds
Zappa did that on Willie the Pimp several years before friendo

prog means it is progressive compared to standard rock compositions. it doesnt have to mean its avant garde or literally groundbreaking or whatever you think it means.

are you retarded? who the fuck is talking about Zappa?

He used that technique(recordings of money sounds) years before this album came out yet they are credited for it on the song "Money". The point is that this album is entry level prog at best

Entry level prog = prog

>I don't like it so it's not prog
alrighty then
>He used that technique(recordings of money sounds)
oh yeah I forgot how groundbreaking the usage of money sounds was to music

This

Genesis, Yes, King Crimson

what

>Hey look, I listen to more obscure music than you

Just listing a few bands that make Pink Floyd look like shit in comparison

Wow, you are fucking retarded

what a good meme my dude, you must be real proud of yourself

Pink Floyd is BARELY prog. It's more "soft rock," "pop rock," or maybe "easy listening" than real prog.

Most of Yes' discography was trash though. Pink Floyd was solid save for a few albums.

Why do Pink Floyd fans always seem like virgins, Sup Forums?

good thread guys

Scratch Genesis, add Frank Zappa and Soft Machine

Still if you compare "Roundabout" to any song off Dark Side of the Meme, Yes will always reign supreme

I like PF, but can someone rationally explain with concrete reasons why they consider dark side "prog"

This guy gets it.
Genesis and Floyd are easily the same tier.

Yes did it very well
especially on i get up i get down

rick wakemen is a fucking god

Yo, I think Ummagumma is great.

Early Floyd is almost as good as Soft Machine though.

Listen to Duke's travels and then say that shitkid

I did. at least 5 Floyd albums are better than it

You're all retards. I'm going to have to copy this down if you keep pretending these pieces of shit were prog.
Pink Floyd was far too blues-inspired to be prog. The literal foundation of prog was to reject the heavy blues influences of rock at the time and instead draw influence from jazz and European classical.
You're also retarded, although slightly less so. Supper's Ready blows literally every other prog composition out of the water, no contest, ESPECIALLY the field recordings of rat shit hitting toilet water interspersed with 10-minute-long xylophone solos that Zappa called prog.

ITT: prog albums

Sure, WYWH sheds the bluesiness of its predecessors enough to be considered prog, but that does not make Pink Floyd prog at all. The Who also released Tommy and Quadrophenia, that doesn't make them a prog band.

Pink Floyd's origins as contemporaries of Soft Machine make them a prog band.

I bet you've never even heard Septober Energy.

Lord, Emerson or Wakeman?

Ratledge (^:

Wakeman was good, but Cans and Brahms is no Karn Evil 9, if you catch my drift.

Okay well lets see
>1. Its a fuckin concept album. Even if it is a really abstract concept every song still ties into a cohesive picture.

>2. Song length and drastic shifts in timbre throughout single songs. I know its not the best argument that a 7 minute song = prog but its also a defining trait of progressive rock which this album clearly is

3. Eclectic styles, sometimes you get the trippy space rock, but then sometimes you get super jazzy epics with saxophone solos, sometimes you get synthesized headtrips, theres even a whole track thats just a trippy vocal solo.

I find it very hard to believe that people denying that this is prog rock arnt just extremely contrarian. This is like people who say sgt pepper isnt psychedelic just because its mainstream

>prog ROCK not being in part influenced by the blues tradition

You really must have brain damage

>1. Its a fuckin concept album. Even if it is a really abstract concept every song still ties into a cohesive picture.
The Who Sell Out is a concept album, that doesn't make it prog.
>I know its not the best argument that a 7 minute song = prog but its also a defining trait of progressive rock which this album clearly is
You're literally saying "this album is progressive rock because it is progressive rock."
>3. Eclectic styles, sometimes you get the trippy space rock, but then sometimes you get super jazzy epics with saxophone solos, sometimes you get synthesized headtrips, theres even a whole track thats just a trippy vocal solo.
That just makes it psychedelic rock at best.

How the fuck is Dark Side blues rock? You are a fucking idiot.

I'll actually take Eddie Jobson over those 3. Plus he's a terrifyingly good violin player on top of being great on the keys.

It speaks volumes that Jobson unsuccessfully auditioned to replace Tony Carey in Rainbow, but Blackmore didn't want him joining because he was paranoid he'd get upstaged.

youtube.com/watch?v=6VAzkN_qJig

>PF-enjoying embryos are this dense

According to your criteria all of these albums are now "prog rock" :

Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
Animal Collective - Spirit They're Gone
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Sun Kil Moon - Benji
The Microphones - The Glow pt. 2
Ween - The Mollusk
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Eagles - Hotel California
Green Day - American Idiot
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Here's your (((You)))

ITT: Inarticulate retards attempting to defend Meme Floyd and failing miserably
Literally go back to /r/music.

I have tried to listen to Pink Floyd before, I don't get it, so many of their songs are twice as long as they should've been. They sometimes make something that's close to being a song but then it descends into 4 minutes of what sounds like an uninspired, improvised jam.

I guess it's just down to good marketing and then because the older generation revere it, the younger ones try to like it.

Holy shit what the fuck is this?
Are you really that retarded?

DSOTM is literally just a bunch of drawn out blues jams with synthesizers

I like Pink Floyd.

Is Soft Machine prog? They are a damn good band but they really run the line between prog rock and jazz fusion (same with Mahavishnu Orchestra).

>all songs should be three minutes long only
>if there's no words it's not music

get out of here normie.

Mason and Wright were both heavily inspired by Jazz composers. Wright himself has said that countless times.

I think you mean the Mellotron.

If you made an arbitrary Prog scale, Camel would be at the same place as Pink Floyd.

>Genesis and Floyd are easily the same tier.
you fucking what mate
they are not the same bloody tier
and I don't mean quality of music, I mean prog-wise, music-wise, they are totally different

>implying liking pink floyd isn't the normiest of normieness

This is my first post here, but why are you so opposed to Zappa's music? Are you one of those who simply can't fathom the idea of an album with a sense of humor? I'd argue that Zappa wasn't prog. He was a genre of his own, which very few musicians are able to achieve.

>If you made an arbitrary Prog scale, Camel would be at the same place as Pink Floyd.
It's not real prog if it's not zeuhl or avant-prog, right?

??????????????
They're both """""prog"""" but posting tame prog like Camel while mocking people who like tame prog like Floyd is retarded.

That post wasn't mine. Either way, I don't see anything wrong with liking Pink Floyd and Camel. But I guess because The Dark Side of the Moon was so popular, that's a good enough reason to dismiss Pink Floyd.

I mean, it's more normie than a lot of stuff but certainly not the 'normiest of normieness', are you retarded?

Pretty much every 60/70s rock band had blues influence but Floyd sounds nothing like shit like Stones or Zeppelin

OP here, what the fuck happened to this thread. I wanted to know why prog rock loved the organ so much (and why it died out by the late 70s), not to discuss whether or not PF is a prog band

because organs are trippy

They're rich and dark and classical but can be synthesized.

ITT: butthurt redditors who can't accept that their precious Pink Floyd album isn't progg

ITT: retarded contrarians who think Pink Floyd isn't prog because thery don't like them

You do realize even Rush is in a higher tier than Pink Floyd, right?

there should be more organ in everything.

The Mollusk is prog rock though

>The literal foundation of prog was to reject the heavy blues influences of rock at the time and instead draw influence from jazz and European classical.
Read that one off Wikipedia?

I literally just came in here to post this. Why the fuck can't we discuss Pink Floyd in peace around Sup Forums is beyond me.

Live in Pompeii - Echoes part I is the best song ever.

Prove me wrong.

>On the Run
>Blues jam

This is a great thread OP.

pink floyd is not prog rock

ITT: non-arguments

Because it's a good instrument

is alan parsons project consider prog rock or are they too late in the game?

what's the deal with prog rock and cheesiness?

do you know what progressive rock is?

>this was supposed to be an organ thread

This thread is full of people shitting on those who deny that DSoTM is prog, but nobody feels like explaining what actually does make them prog.

Except Only this user has no idea what constitutes prog anyway so it doesn't matter.

Someone actually explain why Pink Floyd should be considered prog without being autistic, and the thread will be less shit. I for one am a huge fan of Pink Floyd, but I have no idea why people consider anything they've ever made to be prog.

They're absolutely prog. Definitely softer prog, but still prog.

>Ween - The Mollusk
I mean, that's actually true. You're right on the other accounts, though, but the Mollusk is pretty damn proggy.

who is this

It has a very obvious prog influence, yes, but the music isn't complex or technical enough to be prog

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon

wew BTFO

>using Wikipedia as a source
>for fucking genre of all things
W E W
L A D

Ummm, excuse me?

>if the Internet says it, it must be true

>not complex/technical enough

listen to the mollusk, waving my dick in the wind, and she wanted to leave and then say that lad

what the fuck is Sup Forums? not internet?

the fuck?
i love ween but those songs aren't technical or complex at all