The word "hype" wasn't enough to describe the media assault on the sprawling 80-minute To Pimp a Butterfly (2015)...

The word "hype" wasn't enough to describe the media assault on the sprawling 80-minute To Pimp a Butterfly (2015), another meticulously crafted album that employed legions of writers, producers and musicians (including jazz pianist Robert Glasper and jazz saxophonist Kamasi Washington). Six people wrote Wesley's Theory, including George Clinton, and four produced it, including Flying Lotus. Nine people are credited as writers for the funk-fest King Kunta, making it de facto a collage. The producers threw in more live instruments, resulting in a sound that is more revivalist than innovative, but also a sound that helps the general theatrical atmosphere. For better and for worse, The Blacker the Berry is the epitome of this emphatically pointless but fashionable avant-jazz-rap music. I begins as an olf-fashioned synth-pop hit of the 1980s before it begins to sound like a James Brown parody (with the lyrics "the number one rapper in the world" and "i love myself") accented by a jovial piano figure. The best psychodrama is possibly one of the simplest songs, the melodic funk-soul These Walls, and the best political sermon the equally straightforward funk ditty Hood Politics. But the music is secondary to the histrionics and it doesn't matter that the catchy and danceable Alright stands in opposition of the industrial beat that derails Momma, a fact that could account for at least eclecticism. This is a superficial and, ultimately, middle-of-the-road album from an artist who lacks the visceral energy of Public Enemy and Tackhead while also lacking the poetic depth of Kanye West and the musical genius of El-P. He tries to be all of them at once, but maybe he would be most credible if he were just himself: a brilliant script-writer of fictionalized real-life stories: the Christian parable How Much a Dollar Cost presents God disguised as a homeless man, and Mortal Man interviews the ghost of dead rapper 2Pac.

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/politics/usa17.html#usa0117
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What will scruffles rate the new one?

>poetic depth of Kanye West
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

>FACE IT JEROME GET MORE TIME THAN BRANDON

>I KEEP IT 300 LIKE THE ROMANS

HAHAHHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHA

Based Scaruffi.

"Poetic depth" doesn't just mean what you think it means.

6/10.

when will people realize the fact that Kendrick Lamar is in fact just retarded

Even if my meaning isn't the same, his lyrics have never made me think on a different level nor have I ever
had to dive deep into his lyrics. His lyrics have progressively got worse after graduation anyway.

As soon as he slips below making fantastic albums

>1,2,3,4,5
>I'm the best rapper alive
3/10

>fantastic albums
You're probably an avid RYM user and post Simpsons reaction pictures

Yeah, but like. He disses Trump and Russia and shit.

It's a 5/10.

another case of too many cooks spoil the broth, another album for the trash bin

Is Scaruffi pro or anti Trump? I can't keep up with his political ravings

>fantastic albums

scaruffi.com/politics/usa17.html#usa0117

It's convenient that his favorite two are CD and LR then

>1 2 3 4 5
>I'm the best rapper alive

I really do fucking HOPE TO GOD you all aren't THIS fucking RETARDED.

If you seriously think that's a good line in ANY sort of way, shape or form, I'm sorry (actually, I'm fucking not), but I have to unironically inform you that you must be WAY below average levels regarding intelligence or mental capabilities, otherwise I see no fucking possible explanation to any somewhat intelligent being (not just human) ((subhumans/ niggers included)) ever thinking that's a "clever" fucking """"""""""rhyme"""""""""".

I have NEVER seen a bigger industry plant than fucking Kendrick "shit" Lamar. As in, how fucking much (((money))) do (((they))) fucking pay you idiotic, retarded, braindead shills to promote his shitty fucking music? Is it REALLY worth it to waste your life advertising a fucking niggerman whose music SUCKS major dick to underage people all over the internet?

How SAD are YOU? Seriously, get a fucking life, no, really, I'm not kidding, I will say this in the fucking face of EVERY Kendrick fan. Just please, please, please, kill YOURSELVES. PLEASE.

And now a little something for those who will say my post lacks "substance", or some shit like that. Here's my reasoning solely based on this "man"'s "music":

The beat is TERRIBLE.

>OH WOW DUDE THE BEAT FUCKING CHANGES FROM ONE MINUTE OF THE SONG TO ANOTHER!!1!!11!2!211!!!!!1!

Yeah, thank fucking GOD, otherwise I would literally fall ASLEEP DURING THE FUCKING "TRACK".

Second of all, his voice is TERRIBLE. No, really, he sounds like an underage child whose voice is just starting to change and mature yet it never fully does, and it actually fucking HURTS to listen to from how fucking cringy and WEAK it is.

And his "message"? WHAT FUCKING "MESSAGE"? HE HAS NEVER SAID ANYTHING OF RELEVANCE BESIDES MUH OPPRESSION MUH DICK MUH ALCOHOL, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING RAPPER HAS BEEN DOING SINCE THE FUCKING 90S.

Holy FUCK I'm mad. Reached character limit: FUCK YOU.

I shit you know when I say Scruffy gave the most accurate review of this album on the internet. Relative to the rest of his reviews, it's overrated, but taken on it's own, giving TPAB a 6.5 or 7 is exactly what it deserves.

bump

I think these jokes are funny but they are out of context

Name one rapper in the rap game right now who is a better rapper than kendrick.

That doesn't anyone who can't make it into the charts

andre 3000

What was the last song he made that made it into the charts?

Wiki

i dont see how making it onto pop charts legitimizes a rap career m8

Niche as fuck faggot, and he's not better in any way

That's literally the rap game. You act like you can drop one diamond album and that makes you king as long as you're alive, or that rappers can't fall off. The game is a constantly morphing beast.

I'm really tired of these people making fucking threads quoting Scaruffi's review of an album. No one fucking cares. Get your own opinion and stop being a sheep or fucking kill yourself.

2016 with Solo (Reprise)

that song was garbage

who gives a shit all of you dumb faggots are going to listen to the new album, love the fuck out of it, and then ironically shitpost that you hate it because you all don't want to confess that you liked a black person's music

tpab had threads upon threads of nothing but praise

suck a penis my man

Am I the only one who likes Momma the best

probably becauyse of the knxwledge beat

shit soothes my soul

Momma and for sale are my favorites

HE MAD

Paul Joseph Watson is among us

BUT I AINT STRESSIN

>Rockfags

in our current era every groundbreaking black piece of music sounds like p-funk or is memeified to the point of no return. just make some fucking music

this album is actual shit next to gkmc

they're both good for different reasons