>maxresdefault (2).jpg

You don't belong here.

master troll

its pretty simple, its spelled gif so you pronounce it gif

Like it's spelled.
.gif
Not
.jif

The "G" is for Graphical, so the grammatically accurate pronounciation would be with the same soft G sound.

Nigger

We have problems like this due to stupidity in America. Stupid people will look at a word spelled gif and say oh, that sounds like jif.

Fucking idiots I would kill you if murder was legal.

You're what's wrong with the world.

The "U" in scuba stands for "underwater", but it's still pronounced "scooba",not "scuhba" the word doesn't mean shit

Self
Contained
Underwater
Breathing
Applicator

The creator said it is pronounced as JIF

Therefore

JIF

Graphics Interchange Format.
not
Jraphics Interchange Format

Thought it was apparatus.

Yeah the word "Underwater" doesn't change the way we pronounce "Scuba", the word that doesn't matter/change the pronunciation is "Underwater"

But choosey programmers choose gif. Jk it is with a g sound tho

why would you ever need to say it out loud in the first place? fags

WHO
FUCKING
CARES
>pic related is everyone who actually cares enough to debate this shit topic

The G is silent

you wouldn't since like webms were invented

Do you pronounce scrubbing bubbles as scroobing boobles?

You know what I mean, "scuba" is pronounced as "scooba" when people talk about, even though the "U" stands for underwater

it is

The creator of gif said it is pronounced jif. Argument over . Yes it should be pronounced like gift without the t, however it isn't.

jife

I guess you have no idea that the creator of gif's says it's pronounced jif... people like you are what is wrong with the world . Learn to educate before spewing out verbal vomit

Scuba, Nasa.

Ask the creator, you are wrong.

g stand for graphics fucktards, it's an acronym. hard g

I know. The creator doesn't know what to call it and is also a moron. Any thing you could argue as to how it should be called, points to G not J

Hats just what he prefers to call it. His opinion. Not what it should be pronounced ass due to other facts on how Gs should be pronounced.

Nope. He said that's what is called. He even said "it's pronounced jif, end of story" look like you failed to do your research. It's ok to be wrong once in awhile, I'm not mad. Just trying to help you not look like a fool in the future. Now you know it is pronounced jif, you can correct any fag saying gif.

Cheers,

G(u)if

Like in guy

I find myself saying both.

Geoff

So the word giraffe is pronounced with a hard g?
So the name Geoff is pronounced with a hard g?
So the word germ is pronounced with a hard g?
So the word gem is pronounced with a hard g?

Gym

According to the creature of the format. It is. But the only acceptable way is GiFffuuff

>creator is a moron

what have you created that has been used universally online for years?

Jiff
Gif is shit
Cunts say gif
Creator says jiff
If you wanna call it gif you do that
But it's jiff

all these fags are butthurt because they've been saying it wrong for years

the creator created it. if he says it's pronounced "florbuzdin" that's how it would be pronounced

sorry you were wrong faggots, stop crying about it

I started with this "vaccines causes autism" like 9 years ago and I never heard it before so that kinda counts imo

So let's says you create something new and give it a name
Let's say you make a Blowjob Machine and call it BM for short
You tell everyone it's pronounced BeeEmm and someone on the internet says it's pronounced Bmh
Who's right?
Or is it opinion even though you created it?

May-may

once something enters the public, it's on them to decide. words change all the time based on region/dialect etc.

Why would the creator of the file type be able to choose the pronunciation? In most languages, their use ultimately decides how words will be pronounced. The overwhelming majority of people agree, that in English, it is a hard G like in the word graphics. Too bad, so sad for the "creator".

But that's wrong
If I want to pronounce something different I can
I can't say that how I say it is the definitive way of saying it pal

that garbage was published in 1998. if you hadnt heard of it before it's because you're an idiot or a child, most likely both

Underrated post

>arguing that cigarettes are officially pronounced fags because that's what some people call them

Good one bud

Bingo
Thank you friend

"Gif" with a hard 'g.'

Creator was trolling

Its not like creating a file extension is hard. Are the creators of the millions of shit items in the world genius inventions? The toilet buddy? Every piece of plastic Chinese bullshit?

No its just lucky and something that's been used a lot. The creator is a moron and talks like a fucking idiot, therefore he calls .gifs, .jifs

He can't even Call his own invention properly.

I would pronounce BM "bim" like bimmers

This.

Also:
cnn.com/2013/05/22/tech/web/pronounce-gif/

All other opinions are retarded and you're only embarrassing yourself for being an illiterate fucktard.

/thread

If you don't like the ambiguity in English spelling then here's what you can do about it:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shavian_alphabet

GYM = Problem Solved

>The overwhelming majority of people agree, that in English, it is a hard G like in the word graphics

Hm. Don't be offended if I use my middle digit to agitate my gin and ginger drink (before ingesting it) whilst cogitating on your rigid rule.

This fucker created animated gifs

The .gif format was created well before this faggot ever set for in the tech world. His opinion on how to improperly pronounce a word means nothing and shouldn't mean shit to anyone. He's a fucking faggot. Trying to be difference, because he knows everyone with a brain pronounces it with gif not jif name it .gyif or .jif if u want to call it jif. Ffs

you didn't answer my question because you've done nothing productive and just want to bitch about your feelings

And what ubiquitous file formats have you created?

who the hell cares lol

Picture this: You are the creator of the .gif format. No one knows or cares. Then one day people ask you how it's pronounced. Logically it's gif, since it stands for graphic image format. Not jraphic image format. If you tell the world it's pronounce gif, you'll be forgotten again. If you go against logic and tell the world it's pronounced jif, people will think it's weird. You're name will be mentioned along with your decision. It's gif. The guy just wanted to be known.

I just made a up a brand new term called "Slork" but it's pronounced "Braf". You can't tell me I'm wrong cause I'm the created it.

lol, your. I can't into grammar while drunk.

You don't, it's G.I.F. as you would say just about any other file extension.

You don't pronounce .exe as ecksy
You don't pronounce .swf as swiff
You don't pronounce .html as hhtmall

Stop trying to pronounce file extensions and you will stop sounding like a computer illiterate retard.

See
>scuba

Acronyms aren't pronounced according to the words they are composed of. By definition an acronym is itself a new word.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym

Start learning the language and you will stop sounding like an illiterate retard.

Acronyms aren't always meant to be pronounced.

You don't pronounce most of them.

Also try reading the page you link before trying to use it to call someone else dumb.

Actually correction not everything that is an abbreviation is meant to be an acronym.

REPONSE :
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=55&v=CBtKxsuGvko

0:55

>Guy who invents the format tells people how it is pronounced
>People try to say he's wrong, as if the English language isn't filled with exceptions to "standard" pronunciations

Jif, it will always be jif. Anybody who says otherwise is either uneducated or a fool.

Furry approved.

The problem with pronouncing .gif as jif is that there is a .jif file extension.

"gif" fags btfo

/THREAD

La jota en español suena como la hache inglesa, quizás un poco más fuerte, pero nunca como la i griega.

The creator isn't who gets to decide how things are pronounced.

Sure they get to pick it.

But society is who owns language, and if society over time decides to go a different direction... then that's the way it goes.

Sorry, both sides should just get over themselves.

The \g\ of "graphics" is hard, not soft. The \g\ of "giraffe" is soft.

it's actually pronounced "may may", although most people say it wrong. It's a Japanese word.

Well duh. I think you just schooled yourself moron.

Kys

nice bait

The creator is a troll so he doesn't get a say.

go back to tumblr faggot

so the word graphics is pronounced with a j?

The guy who coined the term it pronounced it wrong. He's all "These social MEEMS are created among people blahblahblah sociologysociology doopdoop."

It's Apparatus m8.

You are all wrong. It's pronounced Blubberdick Cumberbund

The creator is an ass and can be ignored. In fact he has been ignored almost from day one. He doesn't get a say in how it's pronounced.

The creator is a troll and gets no say in what it's called. No one pronounces it that way so what he wants is immaterial.

You just played yourself, dumbshit. If it's an acronym (NASA, SCUBA, GIF, POTUS), it's a new word. You read the letters as if it's an entire word. If it's an abbreviation (CIA, FBI, DHS), it's not a word.