ITT: Post some one-hit wonders

>pic not actually related, he had a few hits
I've become slightly fascinated by the phenomenon lately, so let's have a thread on your favourites, your least favourites, bizarre examples, etc.
This one somehow got to number 2 in the UK, charted in the 10s in a couple of other European countries. It's brilliant of course, I just can't imagine what made the general public like it so much.
youtube.com/watch?v=Vkfpi2H8tOE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6hzrDeceEKc
youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY
youtube.com/watch?v=_pgPq4FGWfk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strokes_discography#Singles
youtube.com/watch?v=1hUrR44RlcY
youtube.com/watch?v=y2Eah_EGiDc
youtube.com/watch?v=E1fzJ_AYajA
youtube.com/watch?v=sGNK-cOtxSs
youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE
youtube.com/watch?v=wsdy_rct6uo
youtube.com/watch?v=h56bfUxY0PM
youtube.com/watch?v=CZXLLMbJdZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=yooqIsQnjME
youtube.com/watch?v=F1U0qvtQnE8
youtube.com/watch?v=PHYw9sZ8Nuc
youtube.com/watch?v=WFrmapGCuhs
youtube.com/watch?v=QOe8H_7ibVY
youtube.com/watch?v=GeUx5sdp3qM
youtube.com/watch?v=fC_q9KPczAg
youtube.com/watch?v=tT4d1LQy4es
youtube.com/watch?v=izBbP2kro-c
youtube.com/watch?v=gPoiv0sZ4s4
youtube.com/watch?v=ymNFyxvIdaM
youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY
youtube.com/watch?v=qOU2JrmBpwI
youtube.com/watch?v=z5LW07FTJbI
rathergood.com/mickey/
youtube.com/watch?v=9MAmkKp5tsI
youtube.com/watch?v=n95A6G9IxlM
youtube.com/watch?v=73RYirgeLV4
youtube.com/watch?v=7ZFUns38D_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=H7GEdO0fPvI
youtube.com/watch?v=X_DVS_303kQ
youtube.com/watch?v=lVL-zZnD3VU
youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A
youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=5fR2OgGbKds
youtube.com/watch?v=UUBAFPIHETA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=6hzrDeceEKc

>But they're not one hit wonders!!!1
Yes. They are. Wonderwall was the only hit of theirs that cracked the top 40 in the U.S. . That is BY DEFINITION a one hit wonder.

Yeah, and I think that's something to remember in this thread. What is a one-hit wonder in one country is a major artist in another. I don't want to see any Austrians getting upset if someone posts Falco here.

it's not true though, Oasis was all over US charts during the 90s and their music still appears in advertisements to this day. He's either baiting or is a legit dumbass who is confusing them with Blur, who only ever did have one real US hit (Song 2).

YOUUUUUUU

Probably my all time favourite one hit wonder. Great track.

youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY

They had a fair bit more success on the albums chart though

>Wonderwall was the only hit of theirs that cracked the top 40 in the U.S
Because their record label only released two physical Oasis singles in America, which mean that songs like Champagne Supernova, Live Forever, and Don't Go Away, which were played on Top 40 radio were ineligible to chart on the Hot 100.

Thank you Bongland

youtube.com/watch?v=_pgPq4FGWfk

I can safely say it's my favourite Kiwi Hip-Hop track that I know of

Can't believe The Strokes never actually even had a hit in the Billboard Hot 100

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strokes_discography#Singles

I forgot about this
Do kids still sing this at birthday parties nowadays?

You can clearly see that champagne supernova was certified RIAA gold. They still play it on the radio here in the good ol USA

That doesn't make it a hit.
A one hit wonder is only determined by how many songs cracked the top 40.

If only one song made the top 40, they're a one hit wonder.

this. CS was HUGE on radio and MTV back in the day. Don't Look Back in Anger too.

No one sings these now days.

>70 million records sold
>one hit wonder

all of their albums during their peak in the 90s besides their debut were top 20 hits. They recieve constant airplay on the radio here today.
>using the Billboard Hot 200 to guage the success of rock music
shiggy diggy

If Don't Look Back in Anger was a "hit" how come it only charted at number 55 on the Hot 100?

Not hard, there aren't many tracks from NZ in that vein.

Here's another goodie from here
youtube.com/watch?v=1hUrR44RlcY

Again. Album sales don't determine whether someone's a one hit wonder or not.

Same with Devo. They only had ONE hit technically but they're still a well known and well liked band who had a lot of album sales.

>rock songs do shit in the pop singles chart
Have you been in a coma since the 80s?

>Blur's "Song 2" only got to #55 on the Hot 100 airplay, not even the Hot 100 itself
>still a huge hit

Charts are bullshit

A ^ "Live Forever" was deemed ineligible to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 due to its lack of an American physical single release, but peaked at number 39 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart.[5]
B ^ "Champagne Supernova" was deemed ineligible to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 due to its lack of an American physical single release, but peaked at number 20 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart.[5]
C ^ "D'You Know What I Mean?" was deemed ineligible to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 due to its lack of an American physical single release, but peaked at number 49 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart.[5]
D ^ "Don't Go Away" was deemed ineligible to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 due to its lack of an American physical single release, but peaked at number 35 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart.[5]
E ^ "Lyla" did not enter the Billboard Hot 100, but peaked at number eight on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart, which acts as a 25-song extension to the Hot 100.[141]
F ^ "Falling Down" did not enter the Billboard Hot 100, but peaked at number six on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart, which acts as a 25-song extension to the Hot 100.[141]

I think the thing as well is that there's a bit of a weird double standard involved as well. Devo are seen as a one-hit wonder despite being a critically acclaimed, hugely influential band, but for some reason artists like Frank Zappa and Jimi Hendrix aren't seen as such despite only landing hits in America once each. There's not really enough of an agreed upon standard by which to measure what's a one-hit wonder and what's not, and as such these problems arise.

youtube.com/watch?v=y2Eah_EGiDc

youtube.com/watch?v=E1fzJ_AYajA

youtube.com/watch?v=sGNK-cOtxSs

youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE

youtube.com/watch?v=wsdy_rct6uo

>due to its lack of an American physical single release

No. This is just you covering for the fact that Oasis only ever had one hit song and 0 others. It means they're failures. Since when do you need a physical single release to chart on the Hot 100 anyway? You're bullshiting.

youtube.com/watch?v=h56bfUxY0PM
>there are people browsing Sup Forums right now who know the opening exclamation only from Death Grips and not the original song
The whole album that this is off is really good as well though

Reminder that Christgau gave him an A-

>heres a list of about 30-40 times oasis charted top 3 with about 10 different songs to prove to you that they were one hit wonders

>youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE
this dude literally disappeared off the planet, I guess he just accepted that he wouldn't ever be able to top this.

youtube.com/watch?v=CZXLLMbJdZ4
>tfw you'll never get another La's album

Peep this shit dog
youtube.com/watch?v=yooqIsQnjME

Nice job ignoring the section I circled.
And the fact I said U.S.
Multiple fucking times.

IN THE U.S. they are one hit wonders.

UK they did great.

INFOORMER HULADADELIAKSADOJASPDHAIFHAOISVHOAI AlIBUMBUM GAYEA

Prodigy also sampled this as well

Some incredible effects in this video

youtube.com/watch?v=F1U0qvtQnE8

Were talking about in America. Other countries don't matter. Also you can clearly see that any other supposed "hits" they had in other countries were just piggybacking off of wonderwall's success and that oasis fell off shortly after.

Hard to top it to be fair. I think he went on to write for other artists in the end.

Actually he had a hand in making a ton of hits for other artists such as Murder on the Dancefloor by Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Santana's Grammy-winning The Game of Love. I guess he just decided he was happy just spending a couple of years being a rockstar before going back to helping others.

>tfw i always thought this guy was a vanilla ice type deal but he's actually from a really rough neighbourhood and grew up around jamaicans and was pretty legit

Technically speaking Oasis end up as "one hit wonders" because most of their hit songs were played on the radio and tv but not available for commercial purchase.

Culturally speaking Wonderwall was not their only hit.

Uh, yes it was? I don't know anyone who knows an oasis song outside of wonderwall. I didn't even know they had a career outside of that. I thought they were just a meme band

>I haven't listened to the deandre way

that's because you're 15

youtube.com/watch?v=PHYw9sZ8Nuc
Though he also had some other great hits both solo and with the Equals in the UK as well

half of this post is wrong though

that speaks more to your levels of pop culture knowledge than of the popularity of oasis

t. yank high schooler who wasn't even alive during Oasis' heyday

The screenshot that showed they only had one hit in the U.S. was posted twice.

Don't blame me for YOU not bothering to read the thread.

> not posting the most famous lyric

A LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWN

>mfw he went to jail for attempted murder. Actually gangsta af.

Did u2 have any other hits besides vertigo? That's the only thing ive heard by them. Not counting the itunes bullshit.

I did. I just couldn't understand what he's singing.

>The screenshot that showed they only had one hit in the U.S. was posted twice.
You mean one Top 40 charting songs on the Hot 100. They had other big hits that were ineligible to chart there.

Nah, they had several before that, many going to number 1, but other than Get on Your Boots it was their last to get into the top 40 in America, which may have contributed to it a bit

Right. By technicality that means they had one hit.
A one hit wonder.

Nobody could, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=WFrmapGCuhs
My gulty plesure

If your definition of hit is strictly "top 40" but that's a retarded definition and you're a retard for asserting as such.

That's not 'my definition' that's literally what one hit wonder means.

Wikipedia has Oasis on their list of 90s one-hit wonders in the US, so I'm going to go with them, even if their cultural relevance has been more substantial than that suggests.

SING IT WITH ME LADS
youtube.com/watch?v=QOe8H_7ibVY

I GET KNOCKED DOWN

BUT I GET DUBS AGAIN

youtube.com/watch?v=GeUx5sdp3qM

>Jas Mann

YOU'LL NEVER GONNA GET ME DUBS

youtube.com/watch?v=fC_q9KPczAg
tfw their worst song was their only big hit

>"Spaceman" was the seventh song to reach number one in the UK after being featured in an advert for Levi's.
If any of you aspiring musicians get an offer for an advert from Levi's you fucking well better take it

Technically not one hit but two hit wonder Black Velvet - Alannah Myles
youtube.com/watch?v=tT4d1LQy4es

I'VE NOTICED YOU AROUND

youtube.com/watch?v=izBbP2kro-c

youtube.com/watch?v=gPoiv0sZ4s4

FREESTYLER
youtube.com/watch?v=ymNFyxvIdaM

youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY
Though I'm not sure it counts when the part everyone actually likes in the song comes from one of the most successful pop musicians of all time
Bonus Culturcide version:
youtube.com/watch?v=qOU2JrmBpwI

that's a new addition. Oasis wasn't on there last year.

Are Radiohead a one hit wonder?

No, Nude charted only slightly lower than Creep did, but those are the only two to chart in the top 40 in the US. They had several and often bigger hits in most other countries, in particularly the UK.

>tfw once recreated this on my nokia 3310 and had this as my ringtone

That, and this classic

youtube.com/watch?v=z5LW07FTJbI

Nude went Top 40? WTF?

rathergood.com ruined it for me.

rathergood.com/mickey/

All I can visualize now is that fucking rabbit

youtube.com/watch?v=9MAmkKp5tsI
Though I actually prefer his earlier lesser hit Der Kommissar
Also, how fucking many versions of this song are there?

youtube.com/watch?v=n95A6G9IxlM
>the greatest christian song of all time was made by a jew
Great song

>youtube.com/watch?v=E1fzJ_AYajA
The song it samples is a pretty good example as well:
youtube.com/watch?v=73RYirgeLV4

Kinda like meatspin ruined You Spin Me Round for me

youtube.com/watch?v=7ZFUns38D_Q
Fucking this

youtube.com/watch?v=H7GEdO0fPvI
An unfairly forgotten song this one

youtube.com/watch?v=X_DVS_303kQ

only because people were downloading the stems for a remix competition and each of like the 8 stems counted as a copy of the song

youtube.com/watch?v=lVL-zZnD3VU

This one has to be up there. Pretty sure no one has ever heard any of his other music

youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A

Not a one hit wonder you fool.

You need to leave your house more.

youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0
Rock down to...

feelsbadman

Did you know the Based God himself has a one hit wonder?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=5fR2OgGbKds

Didn't crack the Top 40

youtube.com/watch?v=UUBAFPIHETA

It's ridiculous how good this track is, if he dropped an album as good as this song tho

Was a big regional hit though. This was on the radio all the time at least where I live(California). I'm just not being anal about the qualifications.