Alcohol thread

Alcohol thread.

Right, Sup Forums, tonight's my first night of getting actually drunk. I turned 21 last month and I literally have no idea what I'm doing because I was raised by goody-2-shoes parents who don't drink and I'm stuck with buying random shit till I find out what I like.

I went to the bar with a coworker to try a bunch of beers one night and determined I'm not a beer person. So tonight, I have coke and rum/vodka and a bit of grapefruit choose because I'd suck your dick if you said you'd buy me some grapefruit juice. Anyway, 2 16 oz 1:3 mixes later, one rum/coke and one vodka/grapefruit juice, I'm not really digging the tastes. the vodka/grapefruit is okay, but it's not something I think I'd drink regularly. Suggestions?

Bro dont even waste your time with alcohol

Wine

Explain?

got seentented to onee month jail for drink drive 50cc motorbike

Tried a glass of white wine the same night I did the beers. Wasn't all that great. Is there a dramatic difference between red/white?

Well, that's your fault for Drinking/driving. No reason not to enjoy getting drunk with friends once in awhile.

Not really
Not to me, at least

For a beginner, put a little squirt in the vodka and grapefruit. Not so much as to make it real sweet but enough to make it palatable to your not yet ready for rehab tastes. Bourbon and 7UP is another good starter choice.

What brand vodka and rum do you have?

>bourbon & 7up
Just no

Some cheap brand of vodka called Gordon's. comes in a plastic bottle (lol) and Captain morgan because im a sheep who buy's what's advertised.

One of my favorite mixes is whiskey (I prefer Evan Williams) and Dr pepper. When I do mix it it's usually half ice, half whiskey and half Dr pepper. Otherwise I normally prefer whiskey at room temp and straight. Try it, you might like it. Though straight whiskey might be a little strong for someone just starting out. Good luck dude.

Try gin. It's like vodka with training wheels and mixes better with fruity things. There are a billion different gin mixes you can look up online; you're bound to like some of them.

Or if you want to stick with vodka (which I would do personally), try mixing it with Sunny D. Fucking delicious. Better than regular orange juice for whatever reason. Throw in some grapefruit into that if you like it so much. Or try grapefruit juice and gin (maybe with some cream soda in there too). I had some sort of gin and cream soda mix that was okay, I think there was some lime juice and something else in there too.

tl;dr make screwdrivers with sunny d

Thanks, mate.

Both garbage brands. Buy the good stuff. For vodka, Russian Standard or Grey Goose. Rum try Pilar, Plantation, or Appleton Estate

1/3 fireball 2/3 fruit punch

Yeah gin fizz is great

>Vodka + Dr.Pepper
>Tequila + 7Up + JoseCuervo Margarita Mix
>Western Son Prickly Pear Vodka

oh, and I forgot- a lot of gin mixes call for "simple syrup", which is literally just sugar dissolved in water on a hot stove (hot stove because it's quite a lot of sugar).

Once it cools down you can mix it into any white rum or gin cocktail to make it sweeter, if that's your thing. Mostly done for fancy cocktails women buy but I can see gin/syrup/grapefruit being a pretty good little mix.

Will def try that sometime.

There are like a hundred billion different kinds of beers. Find a bar that specializes in craft beers and has like a billion on tap to make sure you don't like beer.

Angry Orchard hard cider is good. The one that's just green apples isn't the best of the bunch, but all the others are good.

Find a beer you can at least tolerate, and keep on drinking it. The taste will start to grow on you eventually, just like with black coffee

Get malibu

I did some "Flights" which are just 4 4oz samplers of different kinds. I got around a bit, the only ones I don't think I tried were some of the lighter beers. I did darker beers, too. But maybe the sweeter ones will be good to me, idk. The cider has definitely caught my eye, though.

if you cant handle beer or mixed drinks, try a decent cider or white/pink wine. or maybe red wine would be better for you, i have always found that out of every type of alcohol red wine gives the best buzz, but i still prefer white because im a poorfag and cheap pinot grigio is always at least 13%

really wine is the best alcohol. doesnt make you piss like a horse like beer does, but it isnt unpalatable, sugary swill like pretty much all mixed drinks. gets you drunk fast and has the added benefit of training you to become cultured in wines which bitches love.

id also recommend getting into good cheeses and finding good pairings with your wines. not only is it a combo made in heaven, both counteract and synergize to each others aftertaste, but it is also THE recipe for dropping panties.

you could also try absinthe, if you are willing to make your own or get it from overseas so its not neutered (if in USA) and go through the effort to prepare it right, i take it back, absinthe is at the top of the list. strong licorice flavor, which i usually hate, but if you make it the right way its actually really delicious.

I had one (Kona, i think?) that was tolerable to me. My friend tried it after I said I liked it and he said it tasted like catpiss lol.

hate drinking alcohol, i often nake out with friends drunk and the next day is the shame...

Well, go for the classic Whisky/Coke. If you want to get into drinking start with some sweet stuff mixed with alcohol.
My default choice would be beer, tastes awesome and you won't get wasted after a few.
Alcohol/Beer/Wine and all that shit is an aqcuired taste, most people don't like it trying it out the first time. Go for beer and try some shots, move to Cocktails or Longdrinks later.

Yes, a very significant one. If you want to start with wine, start with white wine. But I'm not a huge expert on wine, ask me anything about beer, though. Happy to help.
Source: I'm German.

cheq'd

Good sweeter-end beer you'd recommend?

I think I've had a few of theirs before, I don't remember them tasting like catpiss haha. Don't feel bad about buying cheap domestic beer either, they're pretty much all made to be easy to drink. That's how I picked up my taste for beer

>bourbon & 7up

Faggot

This is true but I don't really think it's good advice. There's no point in acquiring a taste just for the sake of it. You acquire the taste of coffee when your lifestyle starts being easier with a morning kick; likewise, you acquire the taste for beer when your lifestyle naturally involves going out for drinks a lot.

I personally never drank beer, only got drunk on it a few times, decided it wasn't worth it, and now only drink vodka/bourbon/gin and some other liqueurs when offered. I don't drink often and make the most of it when I do. Personally I think this is better than what my brother does, i.e. drink beer every single day.

It's up to OP obviously, and it's fair enough letting him know that "beer isn't for me" won't necessarily be true forever. But making yourself like it when you have no reason to do so is dumb.

To me it's the same as smoking tobacco. Why start when you can just smoke weed every now and then and enjoy it a lot more?

A lot of Shiner's specialty beers are on the sweeter side. Another one I've seen a few times is called Purple Haze, haven't tried it but it looks pretty sweet

While I don't exactly hang out with or work with chicks who tend to drink wine or give a shit about a man's expertise, any specific wine/cheese combos you'd recommend?

It's never bad to have a wide variety of tastes, that itself is a good reason to acquire a taste for different things

Just don't over do it.
I got more fucked up last night than I've ever been.
I wasted a bunch of money to puke for two hours and feel like shit the next day.
I'm having plain toast and apple juice because it's all I can stomach right now.
Know your limits.

General comment from OP: This grapefruit and vodka is starting to grow on me a bit. Has anyone out there actually tried grapefruit vodka? I looked it up and it actually exists premixed. pic related

Never been drunk until 21... hmm.. Well, Expect to fuck things up if you drink too much. You don't know your limit so it will happen at least once.. probably more. Coming from an alcoholic, and a family full of alcoholics.. It's just fucking gay. An escape. Wine is your best bet if you care about taste... People don't drink it for taste though, friend..... Meh.. What ever..

That's the only way OP will learn his limits though. It's like a rite of alcohol passage

I guess this is true. It would be nice to be able to appreciate a "really great craft beer" that someone offers me, I suppose, but I don't see this happening any time soon so...

It's more down to lifestyle than anything, I guess.

Then you've never had wine..Whites in general are very sweet, and not very strong tasting. Red's, in general, are drier, and have strong flavors. They taste absolutely nothing alike, and there is quite a variety between each color.

I wouldn't call that premixed. It's vodka with grapefruit flavor, it'll still need to be mixed with something unless you just want to drink straight liquor

I dont understand how you guys can't drink until 21 its retarded, like you can drive, smoke and use a gun before you can have a pint

That's not a "premix" per se, it's just flavoured vodka.

I would avoid them on principle, and just buy high-quality vodka. Mix it with whatever you want and control the ratios properly. Better taste, and you can make sure your ingredients are fresh if that matters to you (and it should if you're using citrus juice or mint or anything like that).

My new favorite drink for getting drunk at home:
> As much vodka as you'd like, I usually do a half a glass
> Splash of grenadine or 2 to taste
> Lime juice to taste
Tastes like you melted watermelon warheads and added vodka.

Try some Malts or Dark Beers, stay away from Lager and sorts if you want to go for sweet.
Well I guess you are in the US, so there are not a lot of beers I tried over there or know if you can get them, try an IPA, it's more on the hoppier side and kinda fruity.
Maybe wheat beer might be something for you, ask an assistant in a shop what they have in store.
Also Guinness, it has a hate-it-or-love-it-taste, but I love it . Try one and look how it works for you.
Also not linking a beer doesn't mean you will not like it forever, give it another shot after a few years if you didn't absolutely despise it.

Welcome to American logic, which is dictated by the average christian house-wife.

lol ikr? I live in the UK now, but I grew up in Detroit and when I was over there visiting family when I was 19 my cousins and I drove to Canada so that I could have drinks with them.

Golden rum and natrual oj. Absolutely beautiful. Smooth. Oj cancels out the bitterness of the rum. Please do this.

I'm about to blow your mind, user:

You can very easily just dissolve warheads in vodka. I did it with jolly ranchers. It was delicious.

Godspeed.

Voting age used to be 21 way back when, then when prohibition was repealed they made the drinking age the voting age. When the voting age was reduced to 18, so was the drinking age, but then concern over drunk driving accidents caused the fed to raise it back to 21.

Imo it should be 19, just because that excludes everyone in highschool

If you like peppermint, try Peppermint Schnapps.

Get the cheapest you can find, the cheaper it is, the sweeter it is.

Many times I got fucked up on that shit and never got sick.

Stuff like Rumple Minze is so unsweet, I can't stand it.

How'd you end up living in the UK user?

I did try an IPA dark beer. Wasn't that great. The Guiness I tried too, some random guy at the bar recommended it and I won't be drinking that again. At my work, they also serve Spotted Cow (a local brew, which is aight), and IPA, Pear Cider (haven't had a chance to try it, they don't wanna re-stock it), and Stella Artois (which I find awful). Also yes, my office job lets you get drunk on the job and it's awesome.

My mom is from Detroit and my dad is from London. He went to Detroit to work for Microsoft (or some company partnered with them) and met her, etc etc, then when I was nine we moved to the UK. I still have a ton of family over the USA and have been over there for months at a time a few times.

Forgot to pick up OJ at the store today or else I would have. It's my coworker's fav drink (he bartended for quite a few years, too).

It's questionable as fuck but you can always try rum and milk. It was p interesting

I really wanna visit the US, but what puts me off is being considered a minor and not being able to enjoy my holiday.

OP here. This guy serious?

I hope not.

Just go with someone who can get you drinks. Liquor stores are everywhere; as long as you're with one other person who's 21 and you don't enter the shop with them you're laughing.

Vodka and diet squirt....no sugar, and with a decent vodka (sobieski, titos, goose, kettle) it's pretty tasty....give it a try...but yeah, find a taste you like...then try flavored vodkas to add to it.

Citrus vodka in lemonade, etc.

I would advocate trying the Cider if you get a chance.
Classical Bulmers Cider might even suffice. Just get it real cold in a lot of ice. Not the best time of the year for it, but a real charm at a hot summer day.
I love Stella Artois, but tastes are very different.
And if you don't find anything, stick with the ones you like or kinda like and get used to them and work your way from there. Whenever I get the chance I try new beers and rarely see/taste ones that are awful, but I probably have a headstart of about seven years on you and are way more used to it.

Also try peppermint schnaps as one guy wrote. Tastes like toothpaste, but is sweet AF.

Another thing I also like is Licor 43 with milk, very sweet and mild, but regarded as a woman's drink, so beware.
The "manly version" of that would be a White Russian, love that, too. You should try it. The White Russian, that is.

I tried cider as an alternative to beer. Turns out that due to other health issues I have, cider gives me really bad heartburn.

The human body is full of shit sometimes

OP Here: Was it hard to transition between the American and UK lifestyle? I've always thought about moving there.

Well, that is unfortunate. Keep on trying different stuff, your taste buds will adjust and you will eventually find something you like.

And if you don't like it at all, don't drink. It has it's upsides. Quite a lot actually.

Lifestyle is pretty similar once you understand the difference in communication. The best way I can sum it up is british strangers are polite, but american strangers are friendly. There's a difference, but it's not hard to adjust to. People in the UK will also give you a bit of lenience with faux pas due to the accent, in the same way you don't really blame a puppy for pissing on the floor.

Other than that society is mostly the same. There are a million things to adjust to but as long as you DON'T ASSUME that things will be as easy as in the USA, you'll be fine. Customer service isn't as good here, but weirdly, PUBLIC services are generally a lot better. Just expect to learn new things about the way the country works every day. Little things. No huge differences but they add up. Just be open to them.

Food culture isn't as good, at least in my opinion. Everything is more expensive. Houses are smaller. Rent is more. You shouldn't expect to be able to afford "new toys" as often. But everything runs so smoothly, especially in London, that other things end up being a lot cheaper. Groceries are cheaper, and usually fresher too.

The transition isn't hard at all. It's just a learning experience. And I'd MUCH rather go from the USA to UK than the other way around. Public services and healthcare are so much better. And debt isn't as hard to deal with over here, at least from what I've seen. University is far, far superior in terms of both structure, cost, and student loan system.

I'd do it if I were you.

Oh no it's not a problem for me, just something that happened. This is me:

you disgust me

OP here: What's with the hate? is this a well-known faggot drink? If so, why?

People get defensive about their whiskey

Itt: pussies who can't drink like men.

Op straight whiskey or bourbon is the only way to go. Take off the fucking training wheels. Skip the ice and drink it room temperature. The point of drinking is for the effect. Quit being a bitch.

First of all mixing bourbon with any fizzy drink is questionable to some. It's meant to be neat or with a bit of water or ice.

Cola is tolerable but still pretty plebian imo. If putting coke in your bourbon is making it better, your drinking shitty bourbon. Jack daneils probably, filthy animal that you are.

7up and bourbon is unthinkable. Just no.

>claiming to be a man
>doesn't know that a small bit of water in bourbon brings out the flavour even better
>doesn't know that scotch whiskey especially is made to taste better slightly chilled

You may have taken the training wheels off but then you deflated the fucking tyres. Learn how to drink user.

This thread is the direct result of retarded american drinking laws. This is exactly what happens when you prevent kids from drinking unitl they are 21.

Drink decent whiskey on the rocks.

mix shitty bourbon/rum/vodka with full fat coke, the only acceptable mixer, jack and coke is a personal go-to for a casual drink.

avoid american beers as they are shit tier, go for european.

Cider is okay, apple and pear only, i personally like koppaberg pear cus it's smooth as fuck and i can drink it like soda, but most prefer irish brands, anything else is girl tier

most cocktails are for girls, only acceptable to go for something dark spirit based, strong, no fruity tooty bullshit, good example is an Old Fashioned.

Good wine is not only for girls, dry white or red only, find your preference.

ignore all americans.

>kopparburg pear
>not mixed fruit

faggot

>Has never had one of the hundreds of different good American beers

I'm an alcoholic user. I don't give a fuck about flavor. I drink old grand dad and overproof rum when I want to get drunk. I kill more than a 1/5 a day of hard liquor.

pretty much this OP, lots of great beers and ales if you ignore B-B-BUD LIGGHHTTT piss water thrust in your face

Agave nectar is a great substitute as it is soluble in cold liquids

eh, it's tasty i'll admit, but i personally class as a girls drink, it literally says it in the title 'fruit'.

We're trying to help OP become a man.

sry but nothing beats german beers, im sure our amerifriends have managed to brew something other than piss-light but it's just too much of a minefield to anything decent.

recommend your top 3 to me and I will try and find them here in the UK some time.

>thinking any of that is something to be proud of

literally me right now, teacup and all

I know....its fuckin retarded, but no politician is gonna run on a platform of making alchohol more available to young people.

First and foremost, men do not drink clear alcohol.

This means that vodka, gin, and "silver" rums and tequilas are a non-starter. White wine is out of the question.

Red wine is perfect for your typical dinner of red meat and potatoes.

Bourbon, scotch, and other forms of whiskey are pretty much the only acceptable drinks for a well-to-do young white man. At a co-ed party, mixers are allowed, but drinking with male friends only, neat (no ice, no mixer) is the only way to go if you'd prefer to avoid ridicule. You won't like it, not at first. You're 21, and your tastebuds are not conditioned to handle the complexity of such fine spirits. However, you will continue to struggle through each drink, until the burden of adult life weighs heavy on your soul, and your tastebuds become as jaded and masochistic as the rest of you.

Enjoy your 20s, you thin, hairless fuckwit.

Anything by Stone Brewing is good, the others that come to mind are just local beers from Austin, TX

Lol! AMERICA!! MUH "FREEDOM"

Who doesn't get drunk until they turn 21? Do you have absolutely no social life or what? Jesus I was a bit of a goody two shoes with drugs and alcohol during school and even I first got drunk when I was 16

>Implying real men don't chug straight vodka

vodka sprite is my go to

>bro don't waste your time with alcohol because look at me, I'm irresponsible with my drinking

Sounds pretty pathetic to me. Have fun with liver failure. Or whatever kills you first. Maybe it'll be heart failure from all the amerifat shit you eat, or cancer from all the tobacco, because I bet THAT makes you a man as well.

Then again, maybe you'll just be killed when the guy in the trailer next to yours decides he's tired of your wife going home occasionally and shoots you in the mouth.

Or, most likely of all, you do his job for him once you realise what a fucking hopeless sham your life has become.

Milk and vodka, that's a well know classic. My go to drink

As much as I agree weed is better that's not really a valid analogy because they have completely different effects and nobody does either just to inhale smoke for the purpose of inhaling smoke

Technically the states are allowed to set drinking age but the federal government withholds money if they set it to anything lower than 21, so effectively all the states are blackmailed into having it set at 21

Try a wheat beer thete a lot easier to go down.

I forgot beer. Beer is nectar of the gods. However, choosing the right beer is a task that you cannot fathom given your lack of experience. Stay far away from commercialized piss-water like Coors, Budweiser, Miller, especially anything "Light", "Lite", or "Lyght". Anything that has the color of urine, is urine.

IPA, dark ales, stouts, porters, and brandywines are men's drinks. The darker, the better. If it tastes like motor oil, you've found a good one.

I'd suggest starting with Stone's Arrogant Bastard. Its a good entry-level beer that is still respected by your fellow man. Drink it until you enjoy it, then expand your horizons.

If you ever have the chance to enjoy Pliney the Elder, or Pliney the Younger by Russian River, imbibe considerable amounts of either/both. You will thank me later.