Hows the yearly Oblivion playthrough going Sup Forums

hows the yearly Oblivion playthrough going Sup Forums

its going alright. havent started yet as im shitting my organs out but soon ill play it

What the fuck are you playing it on? A commodore 64?
Those fucking graphics...

I never actually beat this game
I come back to it once in a while, but still haven't beaten it
It is much better than Skyrim, I think

It's THE vanilla oblivion

Get a load of this retard, never played an ES game in his life

>NPC tries to pick pocket some bread
>1 minute later
>half the town is either dead or still fighting

>not playing Daggerfell
plebs

I've played most of them, I just play them on a computer from this decade.

So you never experienced them when they came out? What are you like 12-15?

Wouldnt know, however my Skyrim playthrough is going smashingly. -grabs popcorn-

Alright you got me, oblivion is now 11 years old. Ops screenshot is like mid 90s graphics.

ES games fucking suck, so does Fallout 4. The only people who like them are lonely PC gamer nerds who use nude mods and jerk off to videogames.

The Witcher 3 and it's expansions are far superior, and Cyberpunk 2077 will be the best RPG ever.

why play thru oblivion when skyrim and morrowind are so much superior.

Skyrim is better anyways just because every damn thing doesn't level with you. It's a pain in the ass when you're walking along a path and suddenly a minotaur lord knocks fucks you up

>[Citation needed]

Holy shit you're so fucking retarded

kek, I dont need to ask you anymore questions considering that's your answer

Great point. I think I'm starting to come around to your side of things...

This is mid 90's graphics

>and its expansions
>needing DLC and patches to play a finished game
kek

Exactly, knowing just how superior to Oblivion it is in every way shape and form. ;)

Probably one of the least graphically demanding games of it's time but it's not any more grainy than OP's pic.

Just finished Morrowind again, finishing all guilds and the main quest really takes some time

Godamnit op it wasnt meant for you, my bad it was meant for this retard

Mah man...
Re-playing vanilla Oblivion
There simply is no other correct way

Not OP but it's alright, I forgive ya m8

Are you 16?

>not playing Arena
Pleb

>not any more grainy that OP's pic
Are you blind?

No
No. I think ya'll are just butthurt. I understand that oblivion isn't going to look as good as modern games but it can look a fuckload better than it does in OPs screenshot...why is that hard for you to understand?

Oblivion graphics suck

Morrowind is better

>Ya'll

Sorry
Y'all*

No, I know it can look a lot better, if you load it up with mods. But OP's picture is how it looked when it came out, and it definitely doesn't look anything like 90's graphics

Some of us like the vanilla look, we like to relive a nostalgic time when life was simpler, which you wouldnt understand seeing as you're a teen.

Why does it have to be one or the other? I like playing both. Faggot.

I'm willing to bet OP does not have the graphics maxed, and if he does his system can't handle it. Even vanilla looks better. The drawings are better than 90s games but it is just as grainy as doom.

I think your nostalgia filter is preventing you from remembering how it really looked, because when it came out it was about standard for graphics

>inb4 this faggot starts a "my pc iz bettur than urs" argument

My PC is like 9 years old so don't worry...if it's better than yours you shouldn't be gaming.

It's literally how vanilla Oblivion looked on console in 2006

Did I call it or did I call it? lol

And in OP's pic the graphics are at least a few settings above that. If I remember right the consoles were stuck at about medium-low, so OP's is probably on high, but not max

Thats how almost every game still made this day look on consoles.

No?

Don't even start with that shit, this isn't a PC vs. console thread

yeah cause obviously PC would smash console, 10 times over.

I didn't beat it either. Main quest where you're supposed to close all those oblivion gates is just boring. Shivering Isles was awesome, tho.

What the fuck are you me?

Or they've both got their own merits. There's games I play on my pc, and other games I play on console.

underpowered, out of date hardware running every title thats dev'ed on a PC anyway, and charging you out the wazoo for the privilege?

Just so you can turn it on at the couch?

Thats not really merit aye.

I'm not siding with the witcher guy, because I've always enjoyed bethsoft's games. However, you're forgetting that bethsoft is notorious for releasing games that are completely broken. They've gotten better, but you couldn't even finish the main questline of daggerfall without a patch.

Jesus..... we are bitching about daggerfall?

Take that, title from 20 years ago.

(dont get me wrong, ive still got the big box copy, but you might want to leap ahead a bit. Bethesda has done shitty shit since then.)

No, I know. I'm just nostalgia-ing, too. Daggerfall was the first PC game I ever bought. It was fucking great.

>charging you out the wazoo
go build a gaming rig for $300 nigga

I dropped 3 weeks (at the time) pay on it, not knowing what it was having not heard about it in upcoming releases. All because of that damn gory holofoil zombie king leaping out of the box cover.

Will go on to say it was probably the best TES game out there. For me, its a hard place between it and morrowind, both were equally brilliant titles in their own respective ways.

It wins out over morrowind for me, because I have more fond memories of it nostalgia wise compared to morrowind.

I think youve got me wrong son. Im advocating PC.

Consoles charge you out the wazoo is what the statement said.

I also didn't know what it was, but I went to the store looking for an RPG.

Daggerfall had an immersiveness that I've never found in another game. One time I was deep in a dungeon, completely fucking lost and desperately needing to find the exit to stay alive. I finally found a corridor I hadn't already walked through a couple times... then, for the first time ever, I heard a succubus laugh and I about shit my pants.

He's saying a good gaming rig is more expensive than a console. This is generally true.
That's not the stance to take in advocating either way, though. PC is far superior because of game mods, period.

The modding only applies to some games though. Like I wouldn't ever buy an elder scrolls game for console, but I'd much rather play a racing or sports game on console than pc

>not knowing that it's Daggerfall not Daggerfell
>never actually played it longer than the intro

The very first time I walked into the capital ..... I was already shaken up anyway after just getting into a fight with a battlemage on the outskirts. Only to walk in ..... speakers full volume, the dead ghost screams "VEEEEEEEENGEANNNNNCE" I lost my shit.
I got the full cold fear response, blood ran cold, every hair on my arms stood up, surge of adrenaline.

I ended up screaming like a girl and running away from my computer, nearly in tears.

Good times. 11/10, would petrify again.

Fair point.
I much prefer a mouse to an analog stick for aiming or moving a cursor. For types of games that need a joystick or something, all controller types exist for PC.

Why not?

I play vanilla oblivion because I'm too retarded and impatient to read the mod installation guides carefully enough to get them all working

Definitely good shit.
I got an adrenaline dump being chased by guards when I was still too low-level to fight them.

Cause I can speedrun oblivion upside down now, and almost blind drop into any skyrim cave and know where I am.

More over the point, they are all good games, all worthy of play.

Tried playing twice. Got bored and confusing. Quit after about an hour each time.

Why are you guys so attracted to this game? It doesn't look good, the combat is shitty, and the main quest is absolute nonsense.

Am I looking at it wrong? Do I need to play for a few hours before it becomes fun? Even the mods are mediocre.

Eh, I was never really able to get too much into Oblivion, so I don't blame you

The oblivion thieves guild and dark brotherhood quest lines are fucking mint.

Once you've got the mask of the grey fox, you can do whatever the hell you want in that game. Its actually one of those items you feel like you earnt as well.

Makes it easy as fuck to get to 100% chameleon too

It probably takes a few hours to get into it.

You may have missed the boat, since it's now not a new game and you may not be able to overcome the prejudice against the dated graphics.

It's also a bit love it or hate it with their enemy leveling system. Kinda breaks the immersion when you have random bandits wearing full glass armor

you can grind 100 sneak in the tutorial dungeon if youre hell bored haha.

still ignoring the fact you said "90s" graphics "

you got called out that no game in the 90s look anywhere close to this with an image included

Damn my elitist attitude. I can't even enjoy the "best game ever" without looking down on it.

The guild quest lines are longer and more varied than Skyrim's and give you way better rewards for completing them. Having to commit to a class and playstyle at the beginning makes character-building more interesting and feel more meaningful. There are more spells and you can create your own so you don't have to depend on other skills outside of your class

That actually wasn't meant as an insult. If I'd never played Oblivion and you gave me a copy right now, I might not even be able to get into it.

Honestly, Oblivion is not even close to the greatest game in the elder scrolls series. It might actually be the worst. It marks a dumbing down of the interface to optimize for console players, and it mis-stepped with the "revolutionary" idea of having every single character be voice-acted, but in typical bethsoft fashion only hiring like 5 voice actors to do it.

It was a major step up from what made Morrowind great, It helped modernize gaming. There wasn't anything else like it when it came out at the time. It was a really different experience that a lot of people take for granted now a days. I feel like a lot of games that came after drew a lot of inspiration from that experience.

Incorrect.

TES: Redguard owns the title for worst in series.

I was so angry after being duped on that one.

All true.
Every game in the series has been truly revolutionary in their own ways.

oblivion is easily in the top 2
You can argue morrowind if as a contender with it and that is it
Skyrim was dumbed down to nothing, less skills, less spells, less of a story line, worse side quests, worse rewards, a lot of the dungeons are even the same, just recycled and given different exit/entry points

I would say its the worst addition to an rpg ive ever seen aside from fuckin dragon age origins

I have a unique playthrough style.

You escaped, you were being held prisoner so you don't care about what the dead endorse said. You try to sell the amulet but for some reason it can't be seen by vendors, you turn to crime and get noticed by the thieves guild and work your way up. After becoming the head of the thieves guild you are forced to murder someone you were stealing from, you get noticed by the dark brotherhood and again work your way up. You feel some guilt about your thieving murderous ways so you decide to help the people of Cyridil by joining the Fighters guild and work your way up. With your new fighting skills and experience you begin to take part in the arena matches but notice that you have a tough time fighting against mages, you join the mages guild and climb your way up to the top while fighting in the arena every once in a while.
Being the leader of the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Fighters Guild and Mages Guild you decide to finally do the right thing and fulfill the wishes of a dead man and give the amulet to the emporers son and now you finally do the Main Quest of the game.
This way you get to experience Cyridil as a peaceful tranquil place with no Oblivion Gates whatsoever, at least until you finally star the main story.

Skyrim is all those, but also made to be jaw droppingly gorgeous. It brought in a ton of casuals and cash.

That'll guarantee the studio goes on to make me another two or three decent titles in the series at least.

Good/bad, whatever. More decent RPGs plz.

I do this every time I play it. When you think about it, my first time playing I did everything else first and I was a thieving piece of shit.

>Emporer give amulet to prisoner
>Lets you free
>you immediately start stealing shit and murdering people
>Eventually get paid to do both of these things
>Become the head of 2 criminal organizations
>Spend about 15 years in prison in between all of this
>Finally decide that you might as well close the Oblivion gates, 20 years after you were given the Amulet.

Oblivion was even worse than Skyrim at recycling dungeons. I do wish they'd kept the spell crafting and enchanting system from Oblivion, and I do miss the skills they dropped. But Skyrim's civil ware side storyline was cool, especially with the changes it made to the game world, and the leveling enemy system was a vast improvement over Oblivion.

ES preference is completely based on nostalgia boner. Whichever game a person played first is "the best ever".

Played Oblivion, mind blown. Played Skrim, dull and disappointing. Tried to play Morrowind, clunky, outdated and overrated. Fanboys jizz themselves about that piece of crap too.

I dunno man I got bored of the witcher 3 much sooner than skyrim and I always play on max difficulty on games too. witcher 3 combat just was not fun enough for me to really care to explore the world

Different poster here

Oblivion was less dungeons and more explore the world. Skyrim forced you to dungeon all day. There wasn't anything more shitty than that environment and just passing out at your computer while playing form the mundane, depressing atmosphere.
The unrealistic leveling system was hilarious in Oblivion.

>Jump 5 ft forward
>turn in mid air
>land 10 ft behind where you started

You are only forced to close like 3 gates? the other 47 are optional

>Ya'll
Fucking hicks ruining the internet.

Why oblivion is better than skyrim:

>In oblivion you were rewarded for everything you did. I made you feel amazing.
In Skyrim story lines just ended abruptly with zero reward.
>Oblvion had a beautiful world to walk around in. You could feel how warm the sun is.
>Skyrim its cold all day, everyday. I always fell asleep when I was just exploring.
> Characters in Oblivion had personalities. Skyrim had the same fucking person in every town. All of them were butt hurt and depressing.
>That fucking dragon language was gay as fuck
>A developer just opened up a D&D 4e book and was like, "OH HEY GUYS! LETS MAKE THE MAIN CHARACTER A DRAGONBORN! HE CAN TALK TO DRAGONS AND STUFF!?!?!!!" like come on. They really didn't sell that dragon stuff to me.
>Skyrim appealed to the biggest faggot chads ever. You know

It goes on and on.

Other than the thieves guild quest line I really don't remember being rewarded with shit in oblivion