How has the American school system failed Sup Forums tonight?

How has the American school system failed Sup Forums tonight?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/misc/numbers/ord_ops.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
6/6
= 1

6 / 2 ( 1 + 2 )
6 / 2 ( 3 )
6 / 6
there you go

Pemdas

>6 / 2 ( 1 + 2 )
3 * (3)

6/2(1+2)
>PEMDAS
>P
>6/2(3)
>E
>6/2(3)
>MD (from left to right)
>3(3)
>9
>AS
>9
idiots.

>This
Use pemdas fags

6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
6/6

lol! they don't even teach math over there? amerifats are as stupid as ever...here is how this shit goes, and every 4th grader will confirm.

6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
3(3)

6/2=3*1=3+2=5?

>amerifats
>implying

Parentheses, 3
Multiplication, 6,
Division, 1

PEMDAS

It's left to right, cucking idiot

Also, it's 9

except that multiplication and division come at the same time in order from left to right. back to school kids...

>Multiplication, 6,
>Division, 1
>current year
>not knowing M and D are a single step that are completed from left to right

>Parentheses, 3
>Multiplication, 6,
>Division, 1
>PEMDAS
PEMDAS is actually PE MD AS... multiplication and division are done left to right with no other precedence. So the answer is 9.

Actually because 2(1+2) uses juxtapositional multiplication it counts as part of solving the parenthesis.

The more you know.

An equation. The answer is that is an equation. All you smarty smart pants getting hungup on math but don't realize this a vocabulary question.

just hoping those we're trying to teach are actually below the age of 10

Its 9 you retards

its a bit fucky but the answer is 9
6 / 2(3)
is re-written as
6 / 2 x 3
since it isn't (2 x 3), you do division first
3 x 3 = 9

if anything this isn't an error with the schooling system, example is vague with shit notation

6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
3(3)

topkek

Since when? If it really is left to right I get 9,but why make the saying

IT'S 9 IT'S 9 IT'S 9 IT'S 9 IF YOU GOT ANYTHING ELSE YOU ARE EITHER A TROLL OR A RETARD. IT'S 9 LEARN HOW TO DO PEMDAS THE RIGHT WAY

it doesn't count as shit. what's inside of the (xxx) is done 100% separately, then you remove the parenthesis and whats left is inserted in its stead. so after the first step the equation looks like this:

6/2x3

Actually... It looks like this can't be properly answered because it's an ambiguously written equation!
math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/misc/numbers/ord_ops.html

Im gonna reply to one of these threads for the first and last time right fucking now.
I'm 20. In Canada, how and when I was taught, it was bedmas. Brackets and exponents were the first phase, division and multiplication were the second, addition and subtraction were the third. The rules were to complete each pairing in order from left to right.
You would begin with 1+2. This equals 3. With division and multiplication being the only functions left you'd go left to right just as you would reading a book. 6÷2 is 3. Here's where we multiply 3 by the 3 we had gotten earlier. We're left with "9." Easy as that.
Of course with context instead of 4 numbers on the screen we wouldnt need to have this fucking argument everyday but some people think this board just isn't horrible enough so they make these threads every night. Jesus fucking Christ. Shut the fuck up

2*1 = 2
2*2=4
4+2=6
6/6=1

6/2 (1+2)

Parentheses

6/2 (3)

No exponents, multiply and divide are interchangeable, do what comes first so...

3 (3)

Multiply...

Answer = 9

Hold the fucking phone. If your using pemdas then multi comes before division. There for it would be 6/6 not 3(3)

exactly like i said in , this isn't a pemdas issue the notation is fucking garbage

idk since this shit was invented? i learnt this 16 years ago and i'm pretty sure it hasn't changed.

Wrong, you faggot. It's 21.

this guy the only right answer.

Sounds like you're 20 and stupid then, friend.
Answer's 1

do u even pemdas
m and d are together, they can go in whatever order
same with a and s

Kek, gr8 b8

it became a pemdas issue when those retards baited us into correcting them, even if we missed the original point, which i couldnt care less about.

Juxtapositional multiplication is part of the parenthesis and that multiplication, if it exists, is done in the parenthesis stage not the multiplication/division.

It is not ambiguously written, following PEDMAS properly will give you the only correct answer. This is a troll question that is preying on the fact that most school districts in the US fail to teach the implications of juxtapositional multiplication.

All I remember is BEDMAS
But fucked if I remember the fuck it means

Back to school

I couldn't figure out the answer so I kicked my dog in the face and now he's just staring at me looking all betrayed.

So what if written:

_______
2(1+2)

the truth is that "pemdas" is not really a rule. it's an observation about certain conventions.

none of it really matters beyond algebra though. you will never have issues involving order of operations in trigonometry, calculus, or discrete math.

Flawed method

No you fucks, you can't solve it because it's a notation error
see math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/misc/numbers/ord_ops.html

I feel like the answer is 1. and that's the same equation so 1 it is.

>
it's 9 you fucking cunts

Because its hard to get kids to remember PEMDAS where m=d and a=s in priority and it is operated from left to right in those cases. Or rather. They teach you that. You juat forget because its not an easy acronym

The lack of a symbol falls outside of pemdas but is obviously a closer binding.

there is more than one way even if you follow order of operations
parenthesis go first
6/2*3
you could do it two ways now, so you could either get 1 or 9

a math class probably wouldn't use this question because it could have two answers

This is just one of those questions that doesn't have an answer. Like life.

9 It has not failed.

Juxtapositional multiplication is solved in the Paranthesis phase not in the division/multiplication stage.

The question is in no way vague or improperly written.

Holy fuck it's 2!

P E MD AS based on your notation

Thanks mate
It's people like you that got me my grade 12
Cheers

Did you look at the link?
"Depending on whether one interprets the expression as (48/2)(9+3) or as 48/(2(9+3)) one gets 288 or 2. There is no standard convention as to which of these two ways the expression should be interpreted, so, in fact, 48/2(9+3) is ambiguous. To render it unambiguous, one should write it either as (48/2)(9+3) or 48/(2(9+3)). This applies, in general, to any expression of the form a/bc : one needs to insert parentheses to show whether one means (a/b)c or a/(bc). "

So I'm stupid because I was taught differently than you? Or are you stupid for having an opinion that's consensually seen as wrong? Are you stupid or are you misremembering? Because I know Im not misremembering. I've recently helped younger family members with problems just like this one and they've continually got the right answers.
If anyone's stupid then, friend. Answers you

Actually its not an equation. "What is 6/2(1+2)?" Can also be written as "What is 9?" and the answer to that question is: "The pussy my dick frequents down in the basement."

FOR THE LAST TIME THIS IS AN ENGLISH QUESTION ABOUT VOCABULARY. IT IS NOT ABOUT MATH.
>an equation
IT IS AN EQUATION. THIS WHAT IT IS.

Public
Education
Makes
Dumb-
Ass
Students

Guys you're making me feel like a retard I'm so confused

>interpret

There is nothing to interpret. The rules are not ambiguous. Juxtapositional multiplication is ALWAYS solved during the Parenthesis stage. Most people are not taught this because it complicates the concept of the order of operations and it is a non issue in trigonometry and calculus.

i.e. the vast majority of people will never need to do math that complicated or that simple.

it would be the same equation with the same answer if you put it like this 6/2x(1+2)

I used my Palm Pilot II. The answer is 7.

>Juxtapositional multiplication

I heard your sister is into that. Sounds hot.

You are stupid because you didn't educate yourself on the subject. Public schools in most first world nations (especially the U.S.) are hot garbage and not designed to elevate you with erudite teachings, they are designed to teach you to think a certain way to keep their economic machine working.

Take responsibility for your life.

1s for trump!

6 ÷ 2(1 + 2) = 1 + (1 + 6) + 6 + (2 + 2) = 1 + 7 + 6 + 4 + 0 + 0 = √(176400) = 420

How come nobody can explain this??? Just like atheism. The only truth is God. God is the answer.

My apologies. I didn't know I was supposed to reject my parents at the age of 4 and start working nights to put myself through private school. Go fuck yourself

Conformist.

6 ÷ 2 (1+2) =
6 ÷ 2 (3)
__ _______
2 2

= 4 ÷ (3)

= 4 ÷ (3)
__ ___
3 3

= 4/3
= 1.3

Which is rounded down to 1

Answer's 1 retards

>learning PEDMAS at 4

And how old are you now champ? How much revision do you do?

I'm willing to bet the only introspection you do is when you see someone retweet something you posted.

6/2(1+2)
PEMDAS
() = * / + -
1+2=3
6/2*3
6/2=3
3*3=9
it's not that hard

might be so in the U.S. but not all of us are from that shithole. my country has been at the top of education for as long as i can remember and so is canada.

btw cheers from Finland! is it as down there as it is here? :)

lulz

as cold*

Juxtapositional multiplication is intrinsic to the Parenthesis and is solved during the Parenthesis stage, not during the multiplication/division stage.

Sure
At what age should I have denied the public school system to start educating myself on order of operations? You're fucking hilarious by the way. Keep it up
Everything's shit as always

Then why, as an adult, did you not know to do your own fact checking. It is easier than it has ever been at any point in history.

Don't bankrupt yourself drinking away your sorrows.

1, pemdas faggot

It it was 1, you'd need to override the equal left-to-right precedence of multiplication and division by including an extra set of parentheses (and preferably also include the implied multiplication): 6/(2*(1+2))

>At what age
As soon as you realized it was insufficient or at least had the thought that you have never proven any of what you have been taught.

are you retarded?
see

P E M D A S

6/2(3)
3(3)

6 / 2(1+2)
6 / 2 + 4 distribute
3 + 4 divide

Stupid faggots

Juxtapositional multiplication already does this. It is considered part of the parenthesis and is solved during that stage instead of the division/multiplication stage.