Why are Europeans still digging up bombs from WWII and sometimes even WWI inside of their cities?

Why are Europeans still digging up bombs from WWII and sometimes even WWI inside of their cities?

I mean, why didn't they clean that stuff up RIGHT AFTER THE WAR, instead of leaving the bombs in the ground?

Do you have a problem with unexploded war bombs in your area, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

angelfire.com/ct/ww2europe/stats.html
imgur.com/gallery/CdxZM
telegraph.co.uk/history/britain-at-war/10172232/Lethal-relics-from-WW1-are-still-emerging.html
youtube.com/watch?v=sF5cpxyJqhw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a couple of weeks ago, some fishing boat dragged a 200+kg bomb from the seafloor.

Well our frontline area of WW1 was shelled into oblivion for four years, so farmers in West-Flanders often find shells, bombs and even corpses when working the field

I think you underestimate both the amount of bombs dropped on our lands and the amount of destruction they caused
Finding an unexploded artillery shell that has been buried over the war under 10 meters of dust, earth and rubbles projected by other artillery strikes around the area is pretty much impossible

Not much bombs where I live, but we still find secret bunkers from time to time

Europe got plowed with bombs, there´s almost no way to identify every crater, especially those who haven´t exploded leave very small holes.
There´s still tons of shit in the ground, even mustard gas grenades from WWI.

Do it again euros!

>Between 1939 and 1945 the Allies dropped 3.4 >million tons of bombs
>That averages out to be 27,700 tons of bombs >a month

Only bombs by the allies, no artillery shells nor data on the axis.

Forgot the source
angelfire.com/ct/ww2europe/stats.html

Take a look at this. The Red Zone in North-Eastern France - a contaminated WWI battlefield:

imgur.com/gallery/CdxZM

We're leaving it for east asians this time.
The whole Japan/Korea/Korea/China/China/Philipines/Vietnam relations are the bomb.

I just hope they don't attack the US this time, least NATO has to get itself involved.

From time to time, we find unexploded air plane bombs/artillery shells in the eastern part of the country, and along some places on the northern coast.
But it usually takes a good while between each find, and they tend to be in sparsely populated areas.

Our coast line also has a fair share of sunken war ships.

telegraph.co.uk/history/britain-at-war/10172232/Lethal-relics-from-WW1-are-still-emerging.html

The former battlefields are still heavily contaminated by artillery shells and bombs. In my region, there were no engagements, but the retreating Wehrmacht abandoned some of their weapons and threw it in lakes and ponds.
I found some 20mm rounds a few years ago.

nah lets do something new, wwIII will be in asia
more people, more cities, more countries
jesus that will be fun to watch from europe

NATO wouldn't be involved in any conflict in the East Asia. It's only the U.S. that guarantees the safety of Japan and South Korea, not the whole trans-Atlantic pact.

>I mean, why didn't they clean that stuff up RIGHT AFTER THE WAR, instead of leaving the bombs in the ground?
Because they had other things to worry about. Like, having some kind of shelter after all houses were firebombed away. Like, having something to eat and drink. Like, not getting raped by russians or nuremberged by americans. They said "leave that mess to the next generation, they have the time and wealth to take care of it." And we do.

>Refugees from population numbering half the world population
Pls no.

East Asia, unlike MENA, is too far away from Europe. They'll go to Australia instead and Aussies will send them to the camps on some Pacific islands.

>there are still Europeans that die from bombs, that my ancestors dropped on them
Karma in all its glory

Russia didn't bomb anything notable. Your airforce was shit.

bit too close to my house for my liking

also i don't want to see cute SEA nations getting fucked :(

Idk hans, the world is smaller now, any war big enough to earn the title "WW3" isn't gonna stay contained on one continent.

Still killed plenty of euroshits

>Ruskie thinks he's deserving of karma

This.

Most of Europe was completely devastated after the war, and had other priorities when it was over. There were still barbed wire and land mines lying around several years after the war.

My Swedish grandfather backpacked around Europe with a couple of friends a few years after the war, and set up tent on some plains in the Netherlands somewhere. When they woke up, the plain that they were on was surrounded by a crowd of worried people shouting something to them in Dutch. It turns out that when they had arrived at night, they had missed the sign that said "Achtung, Minen!".

Disgusting

Jesus; why did you Europeans beat the shit out of your own countries with industrial-age weapons TWICE? What did you hope to gain by doing that?

I mean, really - what did you mean by this?

you also seem to underestimate how the earth/dirt/etc. is constantly "moving". It's not something static.
Most of the bombs that we dig up today could hardly be back then.
Any sane farmer would empty his field of bombs before laboring it. They've passed the last century working those same exact spots, and some shells only explode/are discovered today.

As an example, last year we got a flat tire because of broken shell that laid there. It was the third of fifth time in that exact same year that we'd work that field. We've never noticed the shell until it was too late. The shell was deep enough for nobody to notice it since since WW I or WW II.

you are european too you dumb gopnik

>mfw when I was in middle school they discovered a bomb burried under football field we were regularly playing games on and when I was in high school they discovered a bomb in a ventilation shaft of a classrom I was having classes 4 times a week for two years
t-thanks Germany you are greatest ally

youtube.com/watch?v=sF5cpxyJqhw

at least Im glad depleted uranium wasn't a thing in WWI and WWII.

The more recent the conflict the more permanent the damages are.

Tons will still end up in SEA.
During Vietnam war we processed 2 million refugees and at one time Bedong island hosted 100k people until the PM ordered the navy to turn back people since back then we were facing economic crisis and any more will collapse us poorfags.
Even right now we are handling refugees from Myanmar's ethnic fight while paying for development of less fortunate Asean members.

You are russian

that image is in america
and that's not what I meant. Most of SEA is made up of small, developing countries or simply countries they have recently been doing well and not fucked over anyone with manipulative politics and war. They don't deserve to get fucked by stupid geopolitics.

How much does it cost to hire professional engineers with ground-radar to detect all of the bombs? This can be done using the technology for oil-drilling.

Most farmers here are dirt-poor and only survive thanks to the EU gibs, they don't have the money to do this, and the state would rather keep its money to feed a million refugee engineers instead

idk.
Too much.
It's cheaper to replace the flat tire. I do know about a farmer around here who actually got a shell exploding and destroying part of his machine.
But still then, it's cheaper to just pray and deal with it.
Also, these last years suck very very hard. It becomes harder and harder to just survive.

you are swedish

it's almost impossible not to overlook bombs buried in earth especially when it's a carpet-bombing against a large area.

Georadars are already being used for bombs disposal, but they are not some sort of magical device who can detect everything everywhere.

Sounds challenging.

Hope you have a good season this year, farmer-bro.

>technology for oil-drilling
Hiring them for MH370 cost USD100million for scanning an area the size of Poland if I remember it right.
Must be cheaper on the ground.

>don't deserve to get fucked by stupid geopolitics.
Never underestimate our magical ability to get caught in random trouble, we gonna get nuked by NK soon.

Presuming you're Northern European you're one of us. If you're Asian you've ended tens of millions more of your own.
If you're African, more slaves exist in your home continent today than all combined during the European slave era. Twice as many in fact.

There are some old dismantled kraut aerial bombs woods near me. They were filled with concrete but the casing has now corroded away so there is only the concrete and fins left.

m8, it's estimated that more than 1 billion of artillery shells were firedt during WW1, and that around 15% of them didn't explode.

if they have a good season, they'll complain about the prices falling again

if they have a bad season, they'll complain about not having enough to sell

whatever happens, they'll complain

>if they have a good season
That's not possible.
A good season doesn't exist. There's always something wrong.
Wheather's never perfect;
Machines always fail, it's part of the thing, but we complain each time one fails.
Every year there are a couple of diseases, crops we have to burn, damaged fields because of wind or floods, etc.

Yeah, it's never good, and we'll always complain.
But some years are worse, much worse than others.

Didn't the Brits drop like a million bombs on some cities in the course of one day.
How the fuck are you gonna clear all that shit up.

Also Churchill was a maniac killer fueled by nothing but bloodlust.

>Do you have a problem with unexploded war bombs in your area, Sup Forums?
There are communities in southern California that were built on top of old military testing sites so occasionally they'll find unexploded ordnance.

I work at a museum for London
The amount of shit I find in the archives about bombs is fucking ridiculous there is a fucking 50000lb bomb in a cannal just down the road from me
It makes no sense

Wait really?
Farmers here are usually kinda rich

It's kind of a paradox, actually
They have big cars, but also big debts
And as soon as one thing goes wrong, they lose everything

I can't wait for the day there's a major war in north america. It's clear americans need to experience the devastation of armed conflict first hand.

*flattens dresden again*

haha just a bit of banter

Because there were billions of bombs and few people free of work. We were rebuilding cities and basically everything. You would know if USA ever participated in any war seriously.

Even in "not-so-bombed" area we still find those.
Just yestarday the whole coastal road was closed because they had to blow up a 88mm and 2 55mm lives shells on the beach.

But this area didn't saw a lot of fight during the wars.

But that's how Europe is :^)