Reads Infinite Jest once

>Reads Infinite Jest once

Other urls found in this thread:

itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/father-john-misty-hemma-hos-strage/id1147279887?i=1000382995145&mt=2
pitchfork.com/features/interview/10041-here-is-the-scandalous-father-john-misty-interview-youve-been-waiting-for/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>reads animal farm once

I'm about halfway through Infinite Jest and I don't see the connection between the two at all.

I think you meant to post The Decemberists.

would you read that thing twice?

Both are pretentious

>smokes cigarette once

the endnotes are goat

He's an entertainer railing against entertainment. Have you ever read any of his interviews?

I have. I read it and then a friend wanted to do Infinite Summer with a group.

It's really easier the second time since you don't have to get used to the characters.

Lots of them actually. I still don't see the connection.

>What I see celebrated largely as humanity is, like, a grotesque counterfeit.
>there is nothing not wildly audience-tested and calculated about this fucking music
>When you lionize pop music, you lionize the very thing that feminism purports to be against, which is a culture of exploitation and overcharging. Which is what cracks me the fuck up when you read these ridiculous puff pieces about how wonderful major-labor pop music is, and the whole fucking industry is run like you actually buy into the idea that that woman that’s onstage, wearing next to nothing, is powerful.
>If you think that pop stars are anything other than prisoners, then you are fucking kidding yourself. I know them. They are crying for help in their music. We think that we’re doing the world a favor by recognizing the innate wholesomeness of this form of music, like, “Oh, I don’t know, it’s just fun! Something that was made to be liked!”

if you can't connect the dots here, then I think you're wasting your time reading something like IJ.

I've read all that. Connect some for me to the book, if you don't mind.

Except DFW is actually intelligent and has work worth being saved versus father John douchey who's just a bluepilled hipster turd

Can't stand this guy. He seems like such a wanker.

The book is about fucking entertainment being deadly and imprisoning people. He literally says "pop stars are prisoners."

The kid who holds a gun to his head during the tennis match. The game of eschaton is playing a game/making entertainment out of world destruction. Orin is an entertainer/football player and it ruins his life.

Dave Eggers is the only other person to match FJMs pretentious wankery.

Thank you.

Now I see you, and many other anons, are just inflating a single theme of the new album as if this book (with a similar theme and obviously one Misty likes) is responsible for his latest content.

There are many ideas in the album, mostly about civilization as a whole from what I've gathered from the singles (I'm waiting to hear the whole thing on release). Just because it shares one idea doesn't make this Infinite Jest: The Album. That's a ridiculous and erroneous stretch.

this

> are just inflating a single theme of the new album as if this book
nobody is saying that at all?
he touches these same themes on ILYHB. especially with "holy shit" and bored in the usa.

> That's a ridiculous and erroneous stretch.
not really if you listen to his recent podcast interview itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/father-john-misty-hemma-hos-strage/id1147279887?i=1000382995145&mt=2

I haven't listened to the album, I'm just talking about his personality and views.

kek

What happened to this dude? I liked his first album but his schtick just got way too intense. Did he meme himself or did the internet meme him?

>nobody is saying that at all?
Not explicitly in this thread, but I've seen this "reads IJ once" idiocy repeated many times and people saying that.
>especially with "holy shit" and bored in the usa.
These are ideas even found outside of IJ, so still this falls flat as far as that is concerned.

>not really
Yeah, really.

Then that's even more of a stretch, and even more wrong.

memed himself. pitchfork.com/features/interview/10041-here-is-the-scandalous-father-john-misty-interview-youve-been-waiting-for/

He's literally satire of pretentious entertainment business plants

>These are ideas even found outside of IJ, so still this falls flat as far as that is concerned.
examples?

Infinite Jest is babby's first contrarian novel

>These are ideas even found outside of IJ, so still this falls flat as far as that is concerned.

everything has been done before, so i guess according to your logic we should just shut down this board since there's nothing to talk about and no way to connect ideas and themes with people's work.

>Then that's even more of a stretch
how is it a stretch when i'm using direct quotes from him?

hop off of his dick and look at it objectively if you even can. I have a hard time with you claiming anything is idiocy since you have such a difficult time identifying themes in art.

except it isn't contrarian? it doesn't really make a definitive statement. It outlines ideas and then jumbles them all together without coming to a conclusion.

>It outlines ideas and then jumbles them all together without coming to a conclusion.
just like life.

Seriously? These are themes of consumerism, meaningless modern life in so many aspects, American ennui, etc.

There are examples of this in everything from Kafka, to White Noise, to Rocko's Modern Life. IJ hardly has a monopoly on any of this.

exactly. i didn't mean to portray it as a negative.

>There are examples of this in everything from Kafka, to White Noise, to Rocko's Modern Life.
could you point out these examples?
i must have missed them :)

The man literally says his favorite book is IJ.
The themes are incredibly similar, not just from "meaningless modern life," but from the aspect of life, entertainment, that they specifically choose to talk about and rally against while simultaneously being part of the system.

are you just plugging your ears and ignoring anything that would change your views on an artist you so clearly admire?

You sound like Lavren is this Lavren

He's actually admittedly not. The character is basically genuine at this point according to his interviews

What does ennui mean?

lmgtfy

Your first response is so ridiculous I don't even know how to respond.

It's a stretch because all the subjects he's covered in his career (or even in PC alone) aren't in this book. To be clear, what I called a stretch was saying IJ: The Album, and then you said IJ: the man and musician. If it doesn't apply to even one album, it hardly applies to the whole of someone's work.

No need for dick hopping, it's pretty obvious. And I just wanted one of you to say how this meme worked in your minds, and it's obvious it doesn't hold much water and you've inflated it in your minds. Not saying he's not influenced by it, but this meme is still a stretch and I pointed that out. I'm fine on my theme identification, friendo.

Boredom

>Your first response is so ridiculous I don't even know how to respond.
I'm just following your line of logic. It's been talked about by someone else somewhere else so what's the point applying it to something new?

>It's a stretch because all the subjects he's covered in his career (or even in PC alone) aren't in this book.

No one ever claimed that.

> it hardly applies to the whole of someone's work.
I said his personality, and then I used actual quotes from him to back it up.

>I'm fine on my theme identification, friendo.
Obviously not since I had to break it down completely for you.

>doesn't hold much water
again, see

is this the commentary to comment on?

That wasn't my line of logic. Work on your comprehension there. The topic here is the OP meme. I merely pointed out that these are not solely IJ ideas and so the meme falls flat.

I may be combining your defense of the meme talking about his personality with the other user defending it as far as the album or his music. I still think it's too far of a stretch to sum either of them up with this book.

Again, I just tried to get one of you to explicitly state your connection so I could point out the weakness of it.

And again, I'm not saying he isn't influenced by the book or that he shares no themes with it. Simply that the OP meme is a gross over simplification which is a stretch imo.

none of these *listens to once memes are 100% accurate*
you have autism

i keked

Notice how I said DFW's entire catalog? Not specifically IJ? You are fucking dense

No one is claiming that one person is exactly encapsulated by a book or idea. People are more complex than that. That doesn't mean he isn't extremely influenced by it, which is what the meme says. It shouldn't take FJM literally recreating the book to convince you of that but that seems to be what you are requesting as proof. You are a moron.

All I did in effect was point out the obvious, exactly what you just said about no one being encapsulated by one thing, and you and others took to defending the opposite and a ridiculous meme that I still don't think applies, and quickly started attacking for some reason. None of that makes me a moron in the least, and I haven't requested anything of the sort as proof. I don't need proof he's influenced by it, it's obvious and he's said as much. Still reasonable to point out problems I have with a meme.

Because no one ever claimed he was exactly one thing. You were arguing against something that never happened.

>Not explicitly in this thread, but I've seen this "reads IJ once" idiocy repeated many times and people saying that.

While no one ITT claimed that as I acknowledged, people have said that in past threads though I didn't chime in at the time.

proofs?

OP doesn't either. It's just ever since fantano incorrectly used the term "postmodernism", his retarded fans googled that and have been saying it randomly too. I assume DFW/infinite jest was found that way too, now they're just namedropping randomly left and right.

For someone who takes acid nearly ever other day, you'd think this guy would be less of a downer.

see before you start saying dumb shit.

hey dumbass. we have this thing called school and teach us these things in our humanities classes.
maybe if you didn't drop out you would know this.
i know its crazy that they mention postmodernism but hey times change!

They're so irrelevant and loosely connected, you're just contriving and pulling pseud connections out of your ass.

Fuck off. Reading the wikipedia summary doesn't justify any further either. You still found out about it through fantano who doesn't know what it means either.

hes still not wrong

ever since fantano mentioned it all of a sudden people are just randomly calling things 'postmodern' for no reason

Infinite jest has been creeping it's way into DIY hipster music culture for past year(s) or so. It's because of that one quote about wondering if the goal of life is to put his dick into as many vaginas as possible (kek). For this reason he's associated with "rape culture" and Le white patriarchal tyranny and 'deserves to be boycotted and cringed at' Le indie girls usually consider his books "fuccboi literature" mind you they never read them so this is based off of nothing

>Fuck off. Reading the wikipedia summary doesn't justify any further either.
pic related i own the book dumbass

>irrelevant and loosely connected
>Reading the wikipedia summary

strawman much?

I provided specific examples from the book, alongside specific examples of his interview. I'm not sure what else you'd want.

Then again, you're acting like an asshole and making a ton of assumptions, so it wouldn't surprise me if you were 16 thinking it''s fun to troll.

Why should anyone listen to a man with such ugly carpeting?

im a girl idiot. now post your copy

no one used the word postmodern until he made that very comment, so you're both wrong about this thread.

>based off nothing
do you guys not read the threads you post in? see again.

>20th anniversary edition
>implying you just didn't pick that up a month ago and haven't even opened it yet

>implying implications

lets see your original copy :)

>that cover

>visits /lit/ once

>calls out Sup Forums once

>What passes for hip cynical transcendence of sentiment is really some kind of fear of being really human, since to be really human is probably to be unavoidably sentimental and naïve and goo-prone and generally pathetic.

FJM or DFW?

No cheating.