What is your favorite Stephen King novel?

What is your favorite Stephen King novel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YTcHWtYMcts
m.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia_(novel)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Todd's_Shortcut
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ha neeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd

So skeleton crew is your answer?

misery

youtu.be/YTcHWtYMcts

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. fucking greatest.

Joyland

The man in black fled through the desert, the gunslinger followed.

The Gunslinger

What do you think of idris alba playing Roland in the upcoming movie??

From what I remember: Salem's Lot.

- The Shining was way too repetitive (inner thought process while he's chewing meds)
- The Long Walk: might have been boring as well.

I can't remember the ones I've read honestly, if you were asking about the movies about his novels, that's be another story though.

I loved The Long Walk.

I do a lot of running and I reread it before each marathon.

My personal favourite though is IT.
Except for the ending. I wish King could write a fucking ending.

King movie adaptations are so hit and miss.

11/22/63

Dark Rivers of the Heart

stephen king is genre shit. try reading a real author like william gaddis. faggots.

Well. I won't be seeing it. Idk, in the book he was white.

Replying to myself.
Can someone recomment novels from his son Joe Hill?

I saw the movie Horns and loved it.

gerald's game
>hot naked red head tied up to a bed
>loli abuse flashback

movie coming out this year. booooosh.

I've only read the first two books so far and I don't recall his skin color but it doesn't bother me too much...

also, IT
>gangbang in the sewer

The Bill Hodges trilogy was pretty good, nothing special.

The Wind Through The Keyhole was excellent.

Seriously, no one likes The Tommyknockers?

That was hands down my favorite King book.

From a Buick 8 always intrigued me. 11/22/63 was a great read as well

Hah we're lucky they didn't make the Gunslinger a black woman. White men can't be heroes any more remember? Idris is a decent compromise.

What was that one about again? I don't remember that

It's not a colour thing.... it's just. Wrong. Maybe I will go see it. Yeah. I will. When does it come out?

Preach. For a white guy to be a hero he has to be dressed in spandex and be allergic to green rocks.

No but for real i agree.

I'm reading The Bazaar of Bad Dreams right now.

>I love his short story collections.

Easily one of his best. Very underrated.

Novelist finds flying saucer that starts making her super smart. Hardcore lush friend/love interest is somehow immune to crazy alien brainwashing stuff.

IT is my favorite by him, closely followed by Needful Things. His short stories are also very good, straight to the point. Oh Misery is also pretty good, such a huge self inflection on his own fears.

m.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/

he'll do a good job, it would have been better with idris elba and matt mac switching those roles tho

IT

I couldn't get all the way through the Stand or IT, he is honestly a pretty bad writer. If I wanted cheap thriller/horror fiction, Dean Koontz is much better.

Cain Rose up and Nona (?) from Skeleton Crew

Wow I'll have to check that out

he's immune because of a metal plate in his head. AND SUCK ENERGY FROM A DOG.

Can you briefly describe it?

The Stand

The Stand is awesome, just very slow. I love his emotional stuff.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia_(novel)

The Dark Half. Fucking great book m8

The Talisman

He only has 3, I think.

Horns
The Fireman
N0S4A2

Try NOS4A2 next.

I think King has a great mind for creating universes, just terrible at writing stories about them.

I can sympathize, because I know personally that translating thoughts into the physical is extremely difficult to do well.

This. Fuck the TV miniseries

Holy fuck Sup Forums appreciates Stephen King. Never would of guessed.

Fun story.
So I listen to audiobooks at my monotonous manual labor job. I've liked King since I was a teenager, so I've been listening to everything I can get of his. IT is read by Stephen Weber and excellently done.
Well I was on my way home from work and stopped at the store. While waiting in the checkout line they reach the child gangbang scene and I audibly said "what". By the time I checked out, sloppy seconds had turned in to sloppy minutes.
Not my proudest fap.

Heart-Shaped Box, although I haven't read it.

I'm reading Horns now, it's fucking with me bad.

Is that a leet Nosferatu?

Back to your garbageboard

The Dark Tower series
Salem's Lot
Cell was pretty interesting

dude that book was insane...totally need to read that again

Why does this not surprise me... of COURSE he would have a creepy ass gate looking like that

Yeah, kind of.

It's good. I'd recommend it tbh.

Shit, dunno how I forgot that one! Heart Shaped Box is creepy as shit.

Joe Hill is a helluva good writer, unlike his dad.

Seems like most people like King but the minority who doesn't, REALLY FUCKING DOESNT. Why?

And/or cakow

Heart Shaped Box, also the entire Locke & Key comics.

Night shift was legendary.

Gotta agree. Love most of his novels, but you've got to sift through pages and pages of filler text that have nothing at all to do with the story. Or he links stories together in wierd ass ways.

Cujo for example... a whole novel that could have been written in 5 pages.
Hearts in Atlantis... an entire fucking book written to give 3 pages of backstory for a completely unrelated book.
The Stand.... same as HiA, but a decent read but for no reason that makes any sense, it recycles a time-travelling, super-powerful wizard villian guy from another book that bombed.

So yeah. Love his work but it all seems so chaotic and eccentric. Its a minor miracle he's done so well.

There was a short story about a women that used to drive around and take short cuts through the country side. It had a really intreaging premise about slipping between the layers of reality, cant remember the name The short cut?

1) IT - I love the structure of the book and the way he wrote about childhood in the '50s works for me for some reason.
2) The Stand - Because it just covered so much ground.
3) 11/22/63 - a time travel story that wasn't all technobabble or completely retarded. "What if you kill your own grandfather and then you're never born?" "Why the fuck would you do that?"
4) The Shining - Amazing. I've never had a book actually scare or startle me before.
5) Different Seasons - 4 movies from my childhood that I still love to this day. I had no idea he wrote them until I was 17.

NOS4A2

>time-travelling, super-powerful wizard villian guy from another book that bombed.
No. Flagg was retconned to be the guy from gunslinger after the third DT book.

Just googled it, Mrs Todds Shortcut in Skeleton crew. It wrinkled my brain when I was 12

long walk was GREAT

It's no miracle, he pumps out books like a beast. Honestly, the guy must never stop writing. At the end of the day, you can only sell what's on the shelves, and he has put plenty of books on the shelves, so to speak. Not all of them are great, but with as much practice as he gets and with how much he writes, he's bound to hit on some good ideas. I think he has more than once, but that's opinion I guess.

Bottom line, he's pumped out tons of books and stories, he's not a miracle. He just works a lot.

Mrs. Something or other's Shortcut I believe.

His son used the same idea in that book I mentioned.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Todd's_Shortcut

IT. Needful Things is a close second, and the Bachman Books are all terrific.

I have a pop up book of that

Oddly enough it is Skeleton Crew, but my late grandfather gave it to me so it has some sentimental value

He rambles a lot. His short stories and shorter novels (namely The Shining) a wonderful and to the point. Other stuff seems to go on forever.
For me, that's part of the appeal. IT, The Stand, Under the Dome, 11.22.63 all have so much stuff going on that it's really easy for me to get lost in the story (in a good way). Most novels, even really long ones like LotR (which is one of only 2 books I refused to continue reading) just don't draw me in that way.

Under the Dome, it was easily his best work since The Stand.

I'm finishing Dark Tower saga, so I would say, the Drawing of the three

Oh cool, I will have to check that one out then. I always loved Kings shorts because it skips all the filler shit and usually has a great premise. Like Typewriter of the gods, the ballid of the flexible bullet and the end of the whole mess.

Actually in later books it extrapolates his looks. He looks as if he could be King's father crossed with Clint Eastwood. Like that is pretty much Roland's exact description. So white is his assumed race

11/22/63 and Carrie

right! I get excited when I saw this thread

> eyes of the dragon
In the epilogue Flagg winds up on modern day earth and prepares to spread fear and misery among mankind once more. Think it specifically mentions an illness in there too.

Fuck...yeah.
I haven't read that one yet, but i hear it sucks.

Agreed and Mac is still gonna be one hell of a good Randal Flagg

Not exactly a novel but Night Shift.

Read it the first time I ever went solo camping. Hadn't felt actual terror like that since I was a kid.

I totally get where you're coming from. It's odd that you mentioned LOTR, because those books actually changed the way I looked at reading when I was a kid. They made me realize that it's actually not q bad thing if a book hooks you in for hours at a time. My first time reading through the lotr trilogy took me over a month. And to be honest I enjoyed the slow pace. It fit the format very well. For the first time I was satisfied with it not being a page-turner on crack. I like just soaking in the universe of the story and tuning in for a little more of the story every day. Like a tv show instead of a movie.

Idk I just like slow pacing sometimes. Maybe I'm biased when it comes to lotr though cause those books are a huge soft spot for me, I think they are absolutely beautiful.

Probably IT or The Shining. As far as the DT series goes, I suppose The Drawing of the Three is my favourite.

I remember a short story called Crouch End that freaked me out a bit when I was younger, but maybe it's garbage and I was an idiot.

Am I the only one who loved the Talisman? First read it when I was 13 and that shit had stayed with me all these years later. Great coming of age story with lots of the great parts of his fantasy and horror mixed together with Peter Straub kind of keeping a lid on his usual rambing. The sequel wasn't as great but I'd really cream my jeans if they did a movie of the Talisman.

The Jaunt was pretty gud. ie His short stories I think out do his Big novels.

True that.
Can't think of a writer with more anthologies and published novels to their name.
Plus he's got huge range... gore, psych horror, thrillers, dramas, heartwarmers... don't think there's a specific genre he hasn't touched.

My favorite of the Dark Tower

Nearly every King fan I know agrees

I watched the movie when I was younger and was surprised that it was based on a book (by Stephen King, no less). I read it a while back and cried like a bitch. Emotional shit.

>The Stand
>Fuck the TV miniseries

ooh yeah I forgot about Insomnia. YES. I loved that one as well. Kinda makes me want to stay awake just to see if shit gets really freaky. Man, thanks for the reminder.