youtube.com/watch?v=BWVw2UZwllA
youtube.com/watch?v=hwmaDg75MIc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

british hip-hop sucks

great album

you didn't need to type "british" there

>hip-hop

grime is by far the worst sub-genre of hip-hop

Modern classic. His only good album though, which is a shame.

is it modern if it's 15 years old?

His best album, but not his only good album.
Showtime is also great and Tongue n' Cheek is pretty fun

Fuck. I forgot how old it was.

I'll listen to Showtime now. I just found Tongue n' Cheek a bit too "pop". Holiday and Bonkers are great fun, but as an album it felt more like a collection of potential hits rather than a complete work.

The end of Holiday is amazing, considering I normally hate that kind of music.

Potentially and objectively the best grime album I've ever listened to. Also the first. The flows on here the raw production basically became a staple of grime and many artists have taken influence from it. I would say it is a classic.

I can't find grime albums that are anywhere close to this and it's a shame t b h f a m

Treddin on Thin Ice is also pretty dope. Nothing comes close to the Hyper over the top delivery that Dizzee has on this album. His voice is really stand out.

I just wish grime would diversify itself as a genre everything sounds the same nobody is innovating.

It is.

this

classic

>the flows on here the raw production basically became a staple of grime and many artists have taken influence from it
These were already a thing before though, they just weren't being exhibited in album format.

not really. grime comes from garage and jungle where as hip hop comes from reggae. like it or not, the only thing they have in common is the fact that someone rhymes over the instrumentals.

>the only thing they have in common is the fact that someone rhymes over the instrumentals.
which makes it hip-hop

Decent but from that era, The Streets are better.

Boggles me how people talk about how Grime is this brand new musical movement that has just sprung up the past few years because of the success of Skepta and Stormzy, when it's been a thing for about 15 years.

Are these hip-hop?

youtube.com/watch?v=SJEouIeyfp0
youtube.com/watch?v=zDRzDK8ZWYo
youtube.com/watch?v=mL2Bgj-za5k
youtube.com/watch?v=BWVw2UZwllA
youtube.com/watch?v=hwmaDg75MIc

To be fair though, Skepta and Stormzy are pushing it in to the mainstream much more than Dizzee and Wiley ever did.

Not that they weren't big, but at the time it was seen more as a curiosity and "something different" whereas it actually seems to be capturing the zeitgeist now.

I do prefer The Streets, but maybe it's because of the connections I have to it. Nobody captured a period in time better than Mike Skinner did. Listening to it now and it makes me feel like I'm working for the weekend, having a laugh with mates despite things being shit. It transports me to a time and place like few others can. I just can't relate to Dizzee and co.

The Streets ain't grime.

Eh, true. Dance Wiv Me and Bonkers weren't really "grime" songs, and by the time he became big he'd got past that whole sound.

Skepta and Stormzy are more grime revival, or second wave grime though really.

The Streets also had huge crossover appeal. I knew plenty of people who almost entirely listened to rock who loved Original Pirate Material and A Grand Don't Come For Free. He's also in the Morrissey/Jarvis Cocker bracket of brilliantly British lyricists.

Nope, but easy to compare given the context of early 2000s British rap. Mike Skinner is GOAT British rapper.

I was the same. Very much a Smiths fan, but Skinner's lyrics are incredible. It's quite a shame that he doesn't seem to be up to much these days, although part of me thinks that's the way he wants it to be. He turned up, left a huge impression on the music scene and left. No fuss.

Turn The Page is one of my all time favourite opening tracks. Those strings and the building intensity. What a way to start.

>confusing hip hop and rapping as the same thing

im not even sure if hardcore rock fans are this ignorant.

His lyrical themes were pretty interesting, like on The Irony Of It All. That was a really well done track.

I really think that Original Pirate Material was the album that opened the door for British rap. There wasn't many successful British rappers before that album came out, but afterwards there's been Dizzee, Kano, Lethal Bizzle, JME, Skepta, Wiley and Stormzy.

As mentioned, it also drew attention from people who wouldn't normally listen to that kind of music.

so is grime hip-hop then?

Yeah, definitely. I love The Irony of It All. I'm listening to OPM now and it still sounds really fresh. It doesn't have a sound that can really be pinned down to an era.

I think with tracks like Fit But You Know It the guitar and drums were enough to bridge the gap between the rock and rap fans.