What shit album

This guy wrote an album about how his wife died. People feel bad for him and say that the album is good.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wCYpqbYYteo&t=11s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You seem to lack empathy, friend. Too bad you'll never have a wife to die on you.

okay, but you never even said why the album was bad, you retard.

I feel bad the guy lost his wife, but the album is trash. I defy you to listen to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=wCYpqbYYteo&t=11s

it's worse than that, he murdered his wife just to garner critical acclaim
pretty sad and disgusting that anyone would call this a "favorite" album

because its mostly spoken word. i don't mind reading the slow crushing lyrics. but this is barely music.
i can't excuse poor instrumentation even if thats the point

Its not music.

Yikes.

Truth hurts.

why don't you counter the argument bud :)

A+ thread
brings a lot of new ideas to the table
refreshing

the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity

Its really pretentious spoken word dribble with minimal instrumentation, which would be fine if he actually did anything original or innovative [spoiler alert: he doesnt] Pic related, this is probably what this guy actually thinks throughout his day

how is it pretentious?

Umm the lyrics are preachy self indulgent schlock?

I disagree

Sufjan Stevens did it better

K. To me this entire album seemed like him using his wifes death as an opportunity to try and sound really smart

Because Sufjan has actual lyrical ability and subtlety

boring

its better than the new sun kil moon. Also that is pretentious, this is not.

wanna know how I know you didn't know who he was until this came out

do i need to take a picture of the records i bought from him?
you'll post a picture of yours also right?

if that's what will vindicate you I can't really stop you

I don't see how anyone can say it's pretentious or that he's just trying to sound smart.
I found the lyrics to be extremely blunt/frank, almost uncomfortably so

It's pretty good but musically it's just not that substantial in ideas. The minimalism has no careful execution or planning it's just minimalism in its most basic thoughtless form with barely singy spoken word on top. Nevertheless his vocals carries some nice melodies at times and sometimes the nothing instrumentation actually compliments the vocals.

Definitely being overrated cus muh wife tho.

The pretention is in how unpoetic and basic it is

>Caring this much about the supposed critical merit of what a grieving man has to say

Give it a rest, you can't really hate on a guy from speaking to his true experience. Maybe you don't like what he has to say (or how he says it), but if that's the case, just leave it alone.

>muh nothing original and innovative

But that's not really the point is it? He's was trying to cope with his loss and create a piece dedicated to a passed loved one. I'm sure he was totally thinking about what some neckbeard on Sup Forums was gonna think about it's greater relevance to music as a whole or some shit.

>sad Kermit reads old livejournal posts while lazily strumming on his guitar: the album

Ye hes good rogue

delete this

Ok, and I should like it why? You basically just admitted its his personal project and theres no reason anyone else should give a shit about it

>I should like it why?

I'm not telling you you should like it.

>You basically just admitted it's his personal project

That's because it is.

>There's no reason anyone else should give a shit about it.

Yeah there isn't, but people do, so I mean, there must be something to it right?

Phil wanted to release a record for his wife. Sure you can nitpick but I just don't see the point in such a personal album being taken apart like that. Either you like it or you don't. No need to shitpost.

I'll nibble at this b8
>he murdered his wife
wut

I can't feel empathy for him because I've never known what it's like to love.

Anyone else?

It's not overrated, it's incredible, you're just approaching it with the wrong criteria. If you don't like it move on

I heard this album yesterday. Last time I listened to ME years ago. But this album hit me hard.

While I can understand somebody can't understand appeal of it. I've lost my father this summer and album really spoke to me. And in it's simplicity, lack of complicated poetry, it's all good. People trying to convice themselves and others that some people are 'pretentious' cause they are trying to express themselves are so over-analyzing, for fucks sake.

not even your family or pets?

mom and dad died no pets

I was banned for saying bad things about this album

>you collapsed on the front steps, i wailed
>i don't think of that dust as you, you are the sunset
>when you get back from wherever it is you've gone, but then i remember death is real
>today our daughter asked "does mama swim?"......... i told her "yes she does ....... & that's probably all she does"
>look at me, death is REAL
>i went back to feel alone there but cradled you in my chest

:'(

Is this more Eerie or more Microphones? Fucking hate the latter, love the former.

how can you lived for however long you've lived and no one has explained to you how painfully dismissive calling something 'pretentious' is

Pretention is a perfectly fine criticism, used when the creator far exceeds their natural ability and fails for such.

more Eerie
[spoiler]Why do you hate the Microphones?[/spoiler]

I hated his reliance on lo-fi to communicate a point. Feels really lazy, whereas Eerie is planned compositions.

Probably boils down to me being a huge fan of Have A Nice Life.

Disagree because people don't even go into the detail on what makes it pretentious. It's mostly used a buzzword and more often than not a valid criticism. And so what if an artwork is pretentious? It's generally supposed to put more importance into mundane things. What seperates the good from the bad lies within the execution, of course.

Oh sure, it's the same affect of saying "Shit." when used lazily. And thus should just be ignored. But pretension is a very real, and very common, fault of all artistes.

Someone make a kickstarter so we can kill Phil's daughter

I want another album

shit, dude

Wow, this thread reminds me why I don't browse mu.

Truth. Emotional impact doesn't mean great music when it's hardly music at all.

Edgy kids invaded every post about Phil sometime a year ago. They used to be comfy but all good things must come to an end I guess