Who else purposely avoids seeing blockbuster movies?

Who else purposely avoids seeing blockbuster movies?

Feels like a waste of money to pay for the same circuses made for the plebs. I won't see anything in theaters with a big name.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a6qUTSZ5Zmk
tasteprofile.io/
movie-map.com/)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's not like I actively try to avoid those movies, it's just that capeshit and the like don't interest me at all

Penis inspection is too humiliating when they point and laugh.
I just stay in my room

I'll watch a movie if:

1. It gets consistently good reviews from multiple reliable, independent sources who share my taste.
2. It has at least one one person associated with the production that either I like personally, or has a great reputation built over a long career.
3. It's based on source material I like, eg. adapted from a book I enjoyed, or a documentary about a subject that interests me.
4. Two Australian comedians made a podcast where they watched it every week for a year and recorded their experience after each viewing.
5. It's on at a friend's house when I go round and we're all just chilling out there.
6. I think I'll enjoy it in an ironic/comfy/nostalgic kind of way not intended by the film-maker.

All advertising and hype of any kind does is put me off a movie nowadays. Maybe I'm cynical but it just cheapens the art to see it being shilled on a poster on the side of a bus. Makes me assume that they know people aren't going to enjoy it enough to promote it via word of mouth so they have to force it down our throats.

I was going to give Brothers Grimsby a chance because I like Sacha Baron-Cohen's early stuff. Then I saw a poster for it on the street and it fell to low-priority on my list because it now feels too commercial.

I still haven't seen Star Wars: TFA. The franchise and budget isn't enough to persuade me. I liked the originals but I consider non-Lucasfilm Star Wars to be fanfiction.

The next film I'll watch is probably The Bounty (Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Vangelis soundtrack, and apparently it's very faithful to the interesting true story), or The Hateful Eight (lot of people involved that I respect), The Revenant (same), or Le Samourai (highly recommended film, highly acclaimed director).

tl;dr: Me too, OP.

I decided to don't watch Suicide Squad, all the marketing makes the movie look to cringy to me, specially all the coments about Jared Leto saying he is damaged.

This is a good post

The Bounty sounds hella sweet, never heard of it before. Added to watchlist.

I don't go to theaters period. Artsy and small scale movies can be appreciated on the small screen and big bombastic shit attracts plebs and is crap anyways.

Yeah, prime Mel and Hopkins. Should be good. If you're not familiar with Vangelis, he also did the OST for Blade Runner.

youtube.com/watch?v=a6qUTSZ5Zmk

Very atmospheric. Lot of synth though, which might've been good for Blade Runner but I dunno how that'll work with a historical film. I've heard most of The Bounty OST he did and it's great, but possibly not suited to the time period.

me too. I donĀ“t go to theaters, i go to kinos

i guess you don't live in a town with a small artkino theater?

I'd probably watch any film, with mostly anyone in it...

But depends how it's done.

And mostly "blockbusters", and "a-listers" just seem to care about their image/marketing over anything else, so they play it safe.

It's frigid film making and I'm genuinely not interested...

This thread is going down quickly because Ghostbusters is such an interesting film to talk about.

nope
if I want to see it, I'll see it

though I'll probably wait a bit so I can see it in an almost empty theater

Never really go in for reboots/remakes usually but the last time I saw a blockbuster in the cinema was mad max.
It actually got my ass in the theater because somehow Hollywood let George direct rather than giving the film to some no name hack or flavor of the month.

Other than that I don't watch capeshit which removes a large portion of blockbusters these days. And the only current running franchise I've seen more than 2 of is Mission Impossible. Mostly because I have a friend that loves the series so I've been exposed to more than usual.

Honestly I think they're ok films for what they are, perfectly serviceable spy schlock but I'd still never pay to see them in the cinema. Just not my bag really.

Its not that I hate all blockbusters I just stopped caring about them for some reason. Can't even pin point when or why.

Who else purposely avoids lurking Ghostbuster threads?

>I won't see anything in theaters with a big name.

This is a good rule. Most of the type the Hype is more than the movie itself.

Though, that being said, you need to know which directors/film houses are actually good, to know when its worth seeing it in the actual theatres.

Def watch Le Samourai my dude

I've tried my best to avoid capeshit since Age of Ultron but I got dragged to Deadpool by my gf.

Thanks. It's one of my top recommendations from this website:

tasteprofile.io/

It presents you with a series of titles, and you rate them as good, bad or don't know/haven't seen. Takes about 15-20 minutes but it's kind of fun, if a bit frustrating (you might get the same film or a load of terrible films for a while). Then it compiles your "taste profile" and recommends a bunch of films you haven't seen. Kind of like Movie Map (movie-map.com/) but tailored to your specific taste rather than suggestions based on one film.

If you've got time to kill and want some recommendations from a machine, give it a whirl. Pic was my results.

My life here in the USA is like a movie. One that I do not want to be a part of in this way. I am under 24/7 surveillance and am treated like a public slave or terrorist. I need help, I am seeking assistance or asylum to get out of this situation. I am hopeless against the masses. My life should not be controlled like this.

This year I've seen Deadpool, and I'm going tomorrow to see the neon demon.

I literally cannot think of any upcoming movies that interest me, all just capeshit and remakes.

The word blockbuster gets thrown around too many times making it worthless now. movies are dead. RIP 2016

Last movie I saw was some xmen capeshit in 2009

That sounds like you're paranoid m8. Why would the government etc. take such a special interest in you?

If you think there's a real conspiracy against you, I'd suggest taking it to /x/ or r/conspiracy, somewhere like that and take as much video and photographic evidence as you can to them.

Or take that same evidence to a shrink if you can.

The fact you're a avoiding it just because it's popular is being a contrarian which makes you the pleb.

Blockbusters are made specifically to make money though. There's too much money at stake for artistic experimentation so they stick to a formula and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

If a blockbuster is amazing you hear about it from outside the media circlejerk. Otherwise, you can safely assume it's more tripe coming down from the gutters.

Neon Demon looks interesting. I wouldn't pay for it myself because it got panned by every critic, but it's still Refn. I'll watch it at some point.

>4. Two Australian comedians made a podcast where they watched it every week for a year and recorded their experience after each viewing.

Tim and Guy are from New Zealand you fucking pleb

Ha ha, oh shit. Can't believe I did that. I'm way too far into it to be making that mistake.

Thanks for setting me straight user.