Sup Forums, what is the essential /dadcore/?

Sup Forums, what is the essential /dadcore/?

I fucking love dad rock, but I'm trying to expand my library.

I'll post examples what I consider the Dadrock Starter pack.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DDRPtg0kmJU
youtube.com/watch?v=SM3jgkChV6M
youtube.com/watch?v=xo-J1wf2KHc
youtube.com/watch?v=Y9FkEjOBJuw
youtube.com/watch?v=NMNgbISmF4I
youtube.com/watch?v=wZ2jXCly6GU
youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DXZLsMxFXf4
youtube.com/watch?v=HTBv4kAdk_w
youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU
youtube.com/watch?v=jPd3ic-xRwY
youtube.com/watch?v=NnN_Oz1U0RE
youtube.com/watch?v=6VxoXn-0Ezs
youtube.com/watch?v=YmpvpypXKf0
youtube.com/watch?v=4AKbUm8GrbM
youtube.com/watch?v=9n5G0qFBsHM
youtube.com/watch?v=jxyU4W8iyeI
youtube.com/watch?v=Bl9lfnNS4zU
youtube.com/watch?v=O1fHxPY3TJo
youtube.com/watch?v=Iee4ktj9e40
youtube.com/watch?v=PLNR4xfh1Qc
youtube.com/watch?v=5qlaE3a2MIU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Let's get comfy lads
youtube.com/watch?v=DDRPtg0kmJU

Steely dan, the eagles, billy joel

youtube.com/watch?v=SM3jgkChV6M

This is easily the best Clapton album, but damn he's been a part of so many great projects

ac/dc i guess idk

this is tops dad rock

I'm from Long Island, Joel is ingrained in my soul
Love Steely Dan, don't know much Eagles desu

It's my favorite of his body of work, however honestly I'd be hard pressed to say hes put out anything that wasn't ok

hell yes

youtube.com/watch?v=xo-J1wf2KHc

youtube.com/watch?v=Y9FkEjOBJuw

Anybody who doubts Clapton just needs to be shown this.

Most would say ANY Springsteen, but true dad-rock Bruce is Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town

I'm so glad this band doesn't get memed on here. So fucking good.

They're the best Southern Rock there is and essential DadRock.

Freebird > Bohemian Rhapsody > Stolen from Taurus > Hotel California IMHO

Really wish the Police stayed together and Sting didn't turn into such a bore. This would've made a good track on their next album.

youtube.com/watch?v=wZ2jXCly6GU

Not to mention Ginger fucking Baker holy shit

The Police were great. Roxanne is a total Car Song

I think they broke up at the perfect time. I doubt they would have been able to keep up the quality of every album they had put out.

Sting's solo career is actually pretty good, but it's very different from his work with The Police. Give Ten Summoner's Tales a listen, it's pretty comfy. My dad and I would jam to that album a lot.

Dire Straits
Perfect example of dadrock

>but it's very different from his work with The Police

Didn't Lord Copeland compose a lot of The Police's material? Would make sense.

>The Police were great. Roxanne is a total Car Song
In late high school I would drive around listening to Synchronicity, Greatest Hits and Live pretending I had a girlfriend in the passenger seat.

Copelands a 10/10 drummer and an amazing composer. I think he did one of the Spyro soundtracks

Nope. Most of it was Sting's own writing. Stewart was very influential on their early sound, but Sting took over pretty much immediately after their first album.

Yeah he did, composed for theatre too. One of my favourite figures in music.

Copeland and Summers got about one song on every album, but Sting was the main songwriter and would demo his songs 95% completed.

easy one
youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

I'd include all of their albums. They were fantastic song arrangers.

I think one or two more albums of Synchronicity level quality would have put them at least at Queen level of legendary, U2 level of legendary for sure.

Copeland, not Sting, is the star of the band for me.

Off the beaten path I'll post less famous but it rocks to be sure. (BTW- 57 year old here who lived when these songs were released.)

youtube.com/watch?v=DXZLsMxFXf4

Yeah, I had a running fantasy about one of my teachers who would've been in high school/college when the Police were big.

Anything by Rush. Especially 2112.

I'm not trying to be "Le wrong generation" but in your opinion. What was the best era of top 40 you experienced, and what was the worst? Also why are you here?

Isn't he a crazy asshole too? I remember about him and Sting hating each other's guts and Summers stuck in the middle. Similar to Clapton in Cream

Yes and No. From what I've seen the drum parts are all Copeland as sting's demos usually used a simple drum machine pattern. Some of the guitar riffs are Sting, but Andy, most famously created the Every Breath You Take riff. Also, a little less famously, the Bring on the Night Riff is also pure Andy. I'd put the completion percentage at 60% Sting

Yeah he went crazy with The Police, then calmed down some when he went solo. Copeland and he hated each other. Stewart would always arrange his set so that he wouldn't have to look at Sting's side of the stage at shows.

This

I love music from every decade from the 50's to 00's. Toss up for me of either 70's or 90's. as best. I'm not a huge fan of 10's to be honest.
Here is essential REO before they became a complete bore.

youtube.com/watch?v=HTBv4kAdk_w

Pete Townshend also recorded demos with drums but they were basic as fuck, Moon deserved a writing credit for the way completely changed the tracks

>the drum parts are all Copeland as sting's demos usually used a simple drum machine pattern

As a drummer for nearly a decade now I still can't replicate his parts to a tee. Phenomenal drummer who would completely switch styles for each track. Not surprised that he went on to do some orchestral work.

Thanks for answering

>From what I've seen the drum parts are all Copeland as sting's demos usually used a simple drum machine pattern
Yeah, I meant to say that. When I listen to their stuff now after having heard Sting solo and his demos, it basically sounds like Sting with Copeland's playing on top. IIRC Sting already had the idea for an arpeggiated riff for Every Breath and Andy just altered it a bit.

Have a little "Humble Pie" "Take A Graeasy Whore and Rolling Dance Floor".

This is he first thread I've posted on Sup Forums with 0 shitposting or shilling.

Apparently Dadrock was the answer.

youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU

whoops no link

youtube.com/watch?v=jPd3ic-xRwY

But what will we do there?

And...One Southern Rock Band that could almost keep up with Lynard Skynard
BlackFoot - Another real rocker from the South.

youtube.com/watch?v=NnN_Oz1U0RE

No one has mentioned credence tf?

Also does oasis count as dadrock?

nah oasis are mid 20s.

the smiths, stone roses, joy division etc. perhaps

How could I forget CCR

youtube.com/watch?v=6VxoXn-0Ezs

I like highway song. I've always considered the Allman Brothers to be the best southern rock band. Though I'll be a weirdo and say I'm not a huge fan of their jams other than Jessica.

"The Outlaws" cover of a Western Classic

youtube.com/watch?v=YmpvpypXKf0

Dadrock anthem coming through.

youtube.com/watch?v=4AKbUm8GrbM

meh, I'd consider Nirvana dadrock at this point but give Oasis another 5-10 years

I'dve gone with My generation or Baba O Riley, but solid choice regardless

bust out your Tommy Bahama Shirts
youtube.com/watch?v=9n5G0qFBsHM

Why are the Stones never mentioned in these threads? They're a top 3 dadrock band.

Either way they are pretty much Dadrock: The Band and double up as Dadrock: The Movie with Quadrophenia

They're almost pure party music

Grand Funk. I used to roller skate to this song back inn the day.

youtube.com/watch?v=jxyU4W8iyeI

Because The rolling stones and Oink Floyd are shit over rated bands DESU

Did someone say "The Stones"?

youtube.com/watch?v=Bl9lfnNS4zU

Whats Dad Rock without GNR??

youtube.com/watch?v=O1fHxPY3TJo

wouldn't say they were shit but inferior to everything around them

beatles innovating left right and centre, hendrix being the second coming and the kinks busy inventing punk. the traditional blues rock got stale

1974- This song was getting airplay the summer "JAWS" first run in theaters. Pilot - MAGIC

youtube.com/watch?v=Iee4ktj9e40

Ok..thread dying so one last 70's classic.
A cover of the Chuck Berry hit.
I watched this "Midnight Special" performance when it originally aired. ELO had more "Midnight Special" performances the any other band.

youtube.com/watch?v=PLNR4xfh1Qc

Stones were a huge influence on punk. Search & Destroy was punk before punk, and Jumping Jack Flash is Search & Destroy before Search & Destroy

>wouldn't say they were shit but inferior to everything around them
The Stones were pretty much an evolutionary dead end

When it comes to rock music they were second to none. Hendrix? Let It Bleed makes him sound like an effeminate folk player

youtube.com/watch?v=5qlaE3a2MIU

Go sit in the corner and think about what you just said.

This. Hendrix is unironically the GOAT. Best musician of the 20th century besides maybe John Coltrane

wtf how old is your dad?

That's a terrible example. Hendrix was stoned as fuck and on half the songs he leaves Mitchel alone and walks away to get even more stoned. The Rolling Stones were a powerhouse in the late 60's, with songs Hendrix couldn't even hope to write in a billion years.

Pic related is the GOAT dad rock album

That's exactly why I linked it. He's mashed off his face and tripping balls yet still shreds his strat to pieces.

Exactly this. Jimi is the most gifted and innate guitarist there has been or ever will be. Ridiculous to compare him to the Rolling Stones.

>He's mashed off his face and tripping balls yet still shreds his strat to pieces.
Oh shit you're an idiot. Why didn't you make this clear earlier so I wouldn't even bother?

Bump for dadrock