Why is "College" considered the best episode of the Sopranos?

Why is "College" considered the best episode of the Sopranos?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VgBD94cs0T8
youtu.be/GJTcbd2bWHQ?t=1m16s
youtube.com/watch?v=WKKAlAR5Bhw
sopranosautopsy.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

but pine barrens is

Pine barrens is considered second from what I've heard.

People get confused with University

Members only is.

objectively correct
you need to stop surround yourself with pleb trash.

It's an actual meme. Boomers found it shocking and the episode that changed tv forever. Thankfully their pleb sensibilities are starting to die out and people will realize University is much better.

It generally isn't.

Long Term Parking is the best episode of television ever, fite me IRL if you disagree.

meet me in the park in two hours.

>implying a neurotic, paranoid, fat, Tony isn't best Tony

there are dozens of better episodes

This.

youtube.com/watch?v=VgBD94cs0T8

This will always be hilarious

Probably because of the way it sheds light on the dynamic between Tony and Meadow. It has a lot of character development. I actually prefer the episode where Tony takes advantage of the guy who owns the sporting goods store and gives Willow his car but she rejects it.

my god that tony impression is brilliant

brilliant

University is an episode I enjoy much more.

Idk how you can have a favorite episode for this show. It's all consistently good. I can't think of a single weak plotline....

Actually that stupid shit with the rapper in s1 was weak that's about it

Hello, rat

Top episodes for every season (Although every ep except A hit is a hit, D-Girl and Christopher is excellent)

S1 - Pax Soprana , College, The Legend of Tennesse Moltisanti
S2 - Funhouse, From Where to Eternity, House Arrest
S3 - Armour Fou, Fortunate Son, Pine Barrens
S4 - Whitecaps / The strong silent type
S5 - Test Dream, Long Term Parking
S6A- Join The Club / Mayham (I count them as a 2 hr episode), The Ride
S6B - Sopranos Home Movies, Walk Like a Man, Kennedy and Heidi, Second Coming, Blue Comet, Made In America

Top episode is probably Made In America although Join The Club / Mayham come extremely close (I count them as a 2 hr episode)

Sopranos Home Movies
Blue Comet
University
Whoever Did This
Pine Barrens
Funhouse
Walk Like A Man
Whitecaps

Are all probably better than College, which is a fantastic episode.

It's the only episode where Tony actually kills somebody

No it isn't

youtu.be/GJTcbd2bWHQ?t=1m16s

Tony kills:
>Fabian "Febby" Petrulio
>Chucky Signore
>Matthew Bevilaqua
>Salvatore "Big Pussy" Bonpensiero
>Ralph Cifaretto
>Tony Blundetto (his cousin)
>Christopher Moltisanti

It's not all that many when you think about how many episodes there are.

Uhhh.. No?
>that fuck he tortures with Big Puss
>Big Puss
>Ralphie
>Blundetto
>Chrissy

haha! ebin death! ebin murder! deathmurder = GOAT ebinsodes!!!! epic tv!!!!

Is that the one where meadow gets BLACKED?

youtube.com/watch?v=WKKAlAR5Bhw

Don't forget the best murder scene / music combo of the series.

It should be way less because he's not a fucking goon who's job it is to kill others.

Pretty sure she never puts out.

You do realize that 5 of those kills listed AT LEAST were the result of Tony being in an opportunity to kill and doing so on his own whim.

Hell he almost wacked Paulie on Remember When. Just because.

Yeah she fucking does. They made it pretty obvious without actually showing penetration

favorite episode ever, because of this.
whatever happened to the guy that was hunting them and why the russians never figured out tony's men killed?

Almost all of them very important, though

She loses her virginity off screen.

Also, hesianic homeboy doesn't count as a true blacked.

I haven't seen this before - fucking gr8

>time period episode
>cars in the distance are wrong

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Pine Barrens is one of the most pleb episodes in the entire show.

It appeals to idiots because it's simple and stupid, unlike most of the show. Idiots understand the "whack the russian ninja" plot and think it's so bad ass and funny, but there's no complexity in the episode. The highlight reels the normies refer to, the ones shown here, is all around the same sequences, the shitty comedy bits, as if it was a gag a minute sitcom.

When you're saying puns is the best part of the Sopranos and makes the best episode, you shouldn't have bothered watching it to begin with.

>Hell he almost wacked Paulie on Remember When. Just because.
That sociopaths for you
He did exactly the same thing with Chris, but his sympathy for small children (i.e. baby seat impaled with tree) was what tipped him over the edge

I'm inclined to agree. But I enjoyed the episode.

ok, heading there now.

ohfuckohfuckohfuck anons WHAT DO I DO HE'S COMING TO HURT ME

I just finished my forth viewing of The Sopranos last week. Other shows just haven't been doing it for me, and I honestly feel an itch to re-rewatch some episodes

It's uh, not

how come vito was in season 1 and it was never brought up again

One of the best family-drama episodes.

I mostly agree, it's by no means a bad episode, but I'm generally shocked that people love this episode as their best. It does have that moment where Gloria throws a steak at Tony

So does Tony actually get shot in the end, or does he just have a happy dinner with his family?

For the same reason, which is the tightness and simplicity of the linear plotting, which illuminates the characters involved and gradually accumulates a surreal tone. My favorite is "Whoever Did This" personally, because it's a wonderful mindfuck in terms of structural narrative.

He's a miserable prick, whether he lives or dies

Happy Wanderer is based. I love the way the whole episode is built around the executive game. and everything goes to shit for the characters after.

well done

Those episodes had great casting all around

'yes'

Tony and Bobby fishing on the lake:

"Yeah, our line of work, it's always out there...You probably don't even hear it when it happens, right?" - Bobby

"Ask your friend in there, on the wall" - Tony (referring to the stuffed deer head)

>Bobby chuckles

I just finished The Sopranos last night lads, and I'm not sure what to watch next, I feel like nothing will be able to fill this void.

I watch it as him dying, but admit that there's no real justification to take a hardline stance that he died there. You have the one clear indication that somebody might intend to kill Tony with the guy in the jacket, but if we were meant to know for certain that he died, we would see him die. If it was written unambiguously as Tony's death scene, that would actually cheapen watching it as such, because the whole point is that if Tony dies instantly like that, he wouldn't know what happened because he would be gone. Everything just vanishing, without giving us a clear answer within or outside of the text of the series, emulates actual death.

Seeing Tony personally kill someone always gave it more impact than having other characters do it. It's why I consider Ralphie's death more shocking and impactful than Adriana's.

post sopranos depression was the hardest one for me... maybe try oz or the wire.

All of these kills were Tony's personal choice.
-Febby was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Any guy in Tony's situation would feel an obligation to do it, regardless of rank.
-Bevilaqua was a personal killing, revenge for Christopher (plus on a more subconscious, indirect level, an opportunity to gauge Pussy's reaction to involvement in murder)
-Pussy was personal, though I'd say arguably Tony would have just had Silvio do it if it weren't for the abrupt nature of his realization and need to get the whole thing taken care of quickly.
-Ralphie was an impulsive kill based on Tony's lack of self-control, and a murder he should not have committed.
-Tony B could have been farmed out, but it was probably a way for Tony to reestablish his respected status when guys were losing faith in him, through a show of force by taking care of the Blundetto problem himself. Plus, Tony B was a bit of a badass and might have been able to evade a potential hitman, so Tony was most comfortable making sure it got done in person.
-Chris was similar to Ralphie as it wasn't a sanctioned hit. He was just a problem to Tony, and the opportunity presented itself to eliminate that problem and get away clean with none the wiser.

>But I enjoyed the episode.
>I mostly agree, it's by no means a bad episode

That's actually the worst thing you can say about Pine Barrens, because that's exactly the difference. Pine Barrens was just entertainment. The same vacuous shit you can see in any other show.

It's what people say when they defend having CSI as their favourite show.

Sopranos is the best tv show of all time, quality and depth is astounding. There are no shows even close to as good. Please don't fall for the wire meme...unlikable niggers and faggot cops. Its a good show for "muh realism" but nowhere near sopranos good

honestly tho the 2nd watch thru of sopranos is way better than the 1st. all the names make sense, easier to follow the first 2 seasons. also read this website for patrician analysis after you watch each episode

just play video games for a month or 2 or something then watch sopranos again, its that fucking good

sopranosautopsy.com/

even if you watch 1 or 2 episodes a night itll take a few months

>does Tony actually get shot in the end

Like this guy says:
It's set up pretty clearly. The only mystery is who did it, and they take some pains to set up multiple candidates for it.

If you read about this from the mouth of the show creator, he seems baffled people didn't get it. There was supposed to be an open ending in that you don't know who pulled the trigger on him, not in that you didn't know what happened after the show ended.

The thing I love about that episode is the insight it gives us into Tony's character. The guy who owns the store is a friend, Tony doesn't want him to get mixed up in the executive game but the guy keeps pushing and pushing. Tony sees the business opportunity and finally relents. We get to see how Tony juggles being a family man/friend versus being a mobster and the overlap that exists between the two worlds. One of my favorite episodes desu.

fuck that episode of Arthur is great, thanks for posting it my dude

Its shit

Yeah, when Scatino shows up in "Bust Out" again Tony kind of admits that he was making calculations of his own potential losses/benefits in the future if he let Davey into the game. Then later in the show Artie realizes Tony did the same thing to him after his suicide attempt.

It wasn't JUST entertainment, when I say I mostly agree, I mean mostly the Chrissy Paulie adventure is entertainment, there's still some good shit. Like the Gloria/Tony scenes, the opera music is great, Jackie Jr. being an idiot playing scrabble with Meadow.

Oh and "You know the weather report in Mexico?"
"Chili today, hot Tamale"
"You heard it before?!"
"Mhm"
"It's an old Joke A.J"

I get why people say it's the least complex episode but c'mon, stop shitting on it

Long Term Parking and Funhouse are probably my two favorites.

Recently started the show, I had no idea this was a thing.

>Willow

Her name is fielder

>The only mystery is who did it

I think it helps if you binge-watched the season after it had been broadcast.

People who watched the episodes on a weekly basis, they found the ending ambiguous.

People who watched the episodes consecutively, in one night, were able to join the dots together quite easily.

10/10

The episode From Where to Eternity which is also written by M. Imperioli

Yeah, it's like said. Binge watching/analyzing the show its very easy to tell- the scene with Silvio not hearing the assassination right next to him and the discussions on how you don't even know when it happens - kind of slipped from people's minds over the years

>INTO MY HOUSE
>HE WAS A MADE MAN

Your dashing style reminds me of myself.

Who killed Tony Soprano?

>CTRL+F: Calling All Cars
>0 results

Sup Forums you disappoint me

It was also because Paulie talked too much.

That left a bad taste in my mouth for a while. Still GOAT show.

We'll never know.
This scene is intended to show the constant risk of getting killed Tony feels. Whole show is building up to this.

Anyone else contemplate how long it takes for Tony to take a shit?

Ronald McDonald

thats the episode I stopped watching the series

Much like my own father id imagine he makes an event of it and spends at least 40 mins taking one, maybe longer

>This scene is intended to show the constant risk of getting killed Tony feels.

trash reddit theory

read master of sopranos you mouthbreathing pleb

I think there are better episodes, but "College" is like the sopranos wrapped up into one hour.

It has Tony trying to balance his family life with his other family. Does he spend time with his daughter who is developing before his very eyes, or does he try and kill the rat?

It also shows that Tony is always in danger, in the scene at the hotel when the rat was going to kill him, but stopped.

Then in the end, it has the ducks flying away, showing that the story isnt just skin deep either. Its a good jumping off point for new watchers.

just an average day on Sup Forums then

>I use reddit everytime someone disagrees with me

How did you know it happened ? All you see is foreboding, but, how are you so sure it happens ? In a show where being assured that seeing the person you whack died before your eyes is an important theme.

Chase said himself he pieced it all to lead to Tony being killed, but wasn't sure he wanted it to happen for many reasons, so, he didn't film it.

Your headcannon doesn't count. The people who insist so adamantly that he was killed are as retarded as the people who claim the contrary.

Meme episode

Easily the best episode. Touched on all the themes of the show.

>an user with too much time on his hands wrote his headcannon into a fan theory long enough to convince people it's serious even though they won't read past the first chapter or two.

step away from tv for a while. Rewatch it in a year or so. It'll be even better on subsequent watches.

And you won't find any TV that's as good.

I GET IT

666... that means Satan