Good Lyrics ≠ Good Album

Even the lyrics on this album aren't good, it's the most generic shit about death I've ever heard.

sad lyrics ≠ good album

according to rym
whiny vocals + bland songwriting + generic """""emotional""""" lyrics = AOTY

why are you people so mad
we get it, you don't like an album that other people do
stop whining

>People like this album? Grrr then I hate it!
It's not even his tenth best album, but why make these threads? Do you love being contrarian that much? It's not like you have any original criticisms beyond the "it's bland" argument that people have been saying since it came out.
What do you get out o making these shitty bait threads? Why do I have nothing better to do right now than respond?

good lyrics ≠ good album
good instrumentation ≠ good album

conclusion:
good album = no music or lyrics.

what a pile of shit, the instrumentation is the exact same on every track and the lyrcis are just about him being depressed or w/e

agreed

lyrics are the most plebeian aspect of music, it's how basic bitches who know nothing about songwriting and theory justify listening to shallow pop and rap ''''''''''''''''''''music''''''''''''''''''''

talking about lyricism is essentially a weak shield for the unintellectual among us

>lyrics are the most plebeian aspect of music
that is an opinion and not a fact, and it's not even possible to substantiate.

> it's how basic bitches who know nothing about songwriting and theory justify listening to shallow pop and rap

this makes no sense as pop and pop-rap aren't known for lyricism.

>talking about lyricism is essentially a weak shield for the unintellectual among us
speaking of weak shields, you've talked a lot in this post but managed to say nothing substantial.

you took the bait

>Pop-Rap not known for it's lyricism

bet of a stretch considering everyone anywhere has the penitentiary chances verse from Kanye, in fact Kanye is 90% known for his lyrics especially by normies.

bad lyrics can really bring down a decent album
pic very much related

damn it.

one of the biggest criticisms against kanye is that his lyrics aren't very good. soo. try again.

>that is an opinion and not a fact, and it's not even possible to substantiate.
no you blithering retard it is a fact that lyrics are the least musical aspect of music, this is what makes it an easy get-out for normies like yourself when confronted with a discussion approaching any kind of musical depth. everyone who talks about lyrics on this board should at the very least be permabanned, preferably euthanized

>this makes no sense as pop and pop-rap aren't known for lyricism.
>he actually thinks his favourite albums aren't pop

jesus fucking christ you have zero self-awareness. 99% of the albums Sup Forums talks about are pop music, just because it isn't in the charts or it has some funny sound effects doesn't make it not pop music. and all rap music is "pop-rap", non-existent genre to make low iq dregs and monkey-sympathisers feel like MF Doom is any better than Drake.

I think the critical acclaim of this album comes from pity for Phil. The instrumentation is pleasant but nothing mind blowing, just your generic folk/singer songwriter sound. The lyrics are too blunt, and while I can imagine his pain, it isn't something that's really interesting to listen to.

I guess Phil was right calling it "barely music". It's not the worst album in the world, but I doubt I will revisit it any time soon.
I remember when I first listened to Andrew Jackson Jihad, everything was going well, then they went into straight up white guilt and sjw bullshit and I don't think I listened to them after that. It's painfully cringe to listen to and a shame because they had potential. I fucking laughed when they changed their name to AJJ though, so pathetic that it made me actually pity them for being such pussies.

why does it have to be pity and not empathy?

how is this even fun for you?

I'm honestly and earnestly asking. Is it just that much fun to try and rile people up, or wouldn't you have a better time just actually talking and discussing music you like? Or are the threads you're interested in moving too slow right now so you're just bored.

I see what you did there.

>I think the critical acclaim of this album comes from pity for Phil

well yeah, that's part of the album. Just like how Blood on the Tracks is made better by being a breakup album. You can't separate the circumstance from the music in a release like this.

>I can imagine his pain, it isn't something that's really interesting to listen to.
that's understandable but some people like to have an emotional impact in music they listen to and this fills that for them.

I totally understand why people wouldn't like it, though do we really need a thread every 5 minutes about it?

Fuck you turkey! most bands i like are too much for the plebs here and if you ever heard a real savage garden or lighthouse family song then you would choke

kiss my ass and go back yo your metal and rap you hillbilly jelly belly turker

>Fuck you turkey! most bands i like are too much for the plebs here and if you ever heard a real savage garden or lighthouse family song then you would choke

kek

>You can't separate the circumstance from the music in a release like this.
I may be a bit fucked in the head, but I dislike when albums get inflated ratings because of circumstance. I understand how it plays a part in what the album is trying to convey, but it's not AOTY-tier like so many people are saying. Maybe it's just me.
>that's understandable but some people like to have an emotional impact in music they listen to and this fills that for them.
I like to have music that has an emotional impact, and the Real Death had somewhat of an impact on me due the recent deaths in my life, the albums lyrics were so blunt and specific it was hard for me to draw much more emotion out of it besides feeling bad for Phil.
>I totally understand why people wouldn't like it
It's not that I don't like it, I thought it was an okay album, more of a good way for Phil to express and hopefully it works as a good release of some grief for him, but the inflated ratings and critical acclaim are what I didn't agree with. It's not bad, just not something I would revist regularly.
>though do we really need a thread every 5 minutes about it?
I didn't make the thread, I just responded with my opinion. Besides, at least it's music discussion instead of the shitposting that happens here more than people actually discussing albums and music.

It would be nice to discuss other albums though.

the lyrics aren't good either
cheesy sentimentality and cliche bullshit
>you are the sunset

lmao? fuck off

I agree

What is art according to you?

I understand you don't like my opinion on the album, sorry. As far as your question, I'm not going down that rabbit hole where you just shit on me for whatever I respond with.

Like I said, It could be due to my mental illnesses that didn't make it stand out to me, or the ton of other people who seem to feel the same way, regardless, my intention wasn't to make you assblasted at my opinion on the album, It just didn't resonate as well as it could have had he put more work into the lyricism. But hey, that's just me I guess.

I'm not trying to shit on you man, I'm not the person you were talking to before either. I just believe a lot of the polarising opinions on this album seem to come from opposing approaches to what art is and what it should be. Sorry if my question sounded a bit assholiesh, it was coming from a sincere place.

>look at the leaves on the trees
>look at the leaves on the ground
>look at the leaves in the air
>and see where they land
>there is nothing for me to know
>there is no need to struggle
>but day after day
>i want to know

Which song is this from?

Lyric fags truly are the worst. Wankery over lyrics is the only way a hipster teenager can feel smart about their music taste. Even something like Bach is disgusting to them, because they don't have the 'meaning' of the music spoonfed to them by the music itself. They're cretins who simply want music to hold their hand through the process and hate any sort of challenge or abstract thought on their own part.

/thread

Having an opinion ≠ being right

>let's make the term pop music meaningless, now everything with a chorus is pop
there's a huge difference between Pop and Popular Music you have zero self-awareness if you don't realize that

ITT: wtf I hate Mount Eerie now

that album is way more musical than this one
still slightly more musical but yeah IMO not musical enough

good instrumentation usually means a good album unless, as
points out, the lyrics suck so bad they ruin it

I actually do like the lyrics, though

I get that the nonmusicality's the point. Like, in the very first song he talks about how death is this black hole that kind of negates things like melody and beauty and whatnot. But for me that's kind of like modern art: the actual feces on the canvas makes you think--it makes you think about the nature of art and what makes art good.

Okay, thanks for making me think. Thanks for making me think Mount Eerie; you're right, the experience of mourning can't really be captured in song form. Everyone who uses death to craft great musical works are being, on a certain level, disingenuous. Art is a lie. Making something beautiful out of something painful is a lie.

Okay. Nevertheless, you released a spoken word album with a few token guitar strums in the background. Great poetry, and I'll even allow that it's music (because whoa dude if 4'33" seconds is music then what isn't???)--but it's not good music. I'm sincerely sorry for your loss.

melodies in pink moon are awesome

The sad part about these b8 threads is that I know there are people who sincerely believe this crap.

Instead of making another thread complaining about an album that has already talked to death (lel) maybe next time make a thread about an album you like.

>not musical enough
Singing with instrumentation is music. Degrees of musicality don't make sense.

Bland music with decent lyrics or fantastic musicianship with cringeworthy lyrics

>death is real

AOTY

Seriously, how do they go from

>You don't have it any better and you don't have it any worse.
>You're an irreplaceable human soul with your own understanding of what it means to suffer.
>And that’s a huge bummer.

to

>fuk white people

They obviously know that people are individuals, but I guess that just doesn't count for white people?

Just happy times and half-assed rhymes and mimes
Because mimes are dears
But most of all I want no more tears

No more bad times; no more bummers
No more SUVs and no more Hummers
No more racism; no more discrimination
No more fat dumb fucks keeping people out of our nation

god tier lyrics right there

yall tryin to hard to be contrarian

it's about his dead fucking wife dude. quit being so edgy. i looked at your post and thought it was edgy. there you go. that's what you wanted right? someone to look at your post and think it was edgy?

I envy you guys that manage to actually not like this album. You'll lose someone close one day, maybe someone who lives under your roof. Listen to this album then.

It doesn't have to be AOTY desu. I don't think it needs exposure at all. It's too real. It's not even pleasant as an experience. But Phil deserves all the respect in the world for writing this. It's undeniable.

this. everyone here calling it shit need to realize that quality isn't the point. it's not for entertainment or to be good or bad, or even really music. let him cope.

>this thing you listen to isn't nice to listen to but don't worry about it because the guy's wife is dead so it's supposed to be that way

>it's not for entertainment
I haven't heard this album yet and I'm not bashing it, but I'm calling bollocks on this. He's commercially released it, so it's obviously supposed to hold some value beyond the personal. Go fuck yourself with your bullshit, once something's out there in the public sphere it is subject to whatever critical analysis we feel like.

I know you meant this negatively, but that's exactly the point. Phil doesn't give a fuck about what people think of the album. When you post a picture of your deceased family member in the local paper you don't give a fuck if some edgy kid says "oh look that person is ugly". If you put down the album you're not putting down Phil, just the internet people who say it's a good album. Phil is out of this. He doesn't care.

also valid for . he could've released it for free, and I see where you're coming from, but the fact that it's a commercial release doesn't mean he wants to make money off it. it could be something else.

Phil's amount of care doesn't factor in to my enjoyment of his music.

Yeah