Why do people lose their minds over this album?

Why do people lose their minds over this album?
Yeah its good i guess but its not as amazing as everyone says it is

It's pretty fucking amazing

reddit

shit b8 m8

neat

there are definitely some decent songs but it's overhyped

because everyone here is like 15-16 and it makes them feel smart for "getting it" even though it's just really generic pop

It's pop-rock disguised as avant-garde, people who claim Radiohead is an unsurpassable experimental band just haven't explored music enough to realize it's really not that special.

>really generic pop

Ah yes, the first track repeats itself for 4 minutes, has a 10/4 time signature and never even plays the key that it's written in.

Incredibly generic indeed.

I don't know either, it's not a bad album, but I would take Amnesiac or even Hail to the Thief over Kid A

>actually falling for the radiohead is experimental meme
W E W
E
W E W
E
W E W

Woah woah, let's not actually get into the songwriting. Wouldn't want to realize Yorke and Greenwood know infinitely more about music theory than everyone on this board.

Kid A is massively underrated simply because it's so popular. Can't really blame people too much for that though, I tend to do that with albums as well.

>and never even plays the key that it's written in.
what is this even supposed to mean

It never plays the key that it was written in

Thom Yorke has admitted he can't read sheet music. It's not really necessary for the music they make, but there are probably people on here who know more about music theory than them kek

holy fuck you're a retãrd

then it wasnt written in that key you fuckin retard

leave it to radiohead fags to know nothing

>Yeah its good i guess but its not as amazing as everyone says it is

What a completely generic and vague opinion. Are you seriously expecting an articulate discussion with this?

It perfectly encapsulates a mood that runs throughout the whole record, despite that the songs and arrangements themselves are varied. There isn't much meaning to be decoded. The lyrics were for the most part randomly generated with a cut-up method, even if some tracks have a clearly defined theme, which if they do aren't that difficult to get. The greatness of the album is its power to command your mood and tap into a specific kind of insular, depressing feeling that is articulated pretty much perfectly through the songs. If you can't identify with this feeling chances are you won't appreciate it like the biggest fans of this album does.

you dont get it

shit doesn't bang

I cant be arsed to actually analyze everything in its right place right now, but its not completely out of the question to have a song with enough defining characteristics of being in one specific key without ever resolving to the tonic. As long as its not possible to fit the melody and chord progression into a different key, then its completely possible to write a song in say, D and never play the D note.
Jazz and shit my man.

That said, the key its written in doesent matter at fucking all. Thats just trying to fit the westernized musical notation system onto a piece of sound. it doesent say anything about the actual music.

Its just as stupid as arguing if a song was written in 10/8 or 5/4. its the same fucking thing.

listen to it at 2am mate

STOP BEING A FUCKING RETARD A KEY TELLS YOU WHAT YOUR TONIC IS AND IF YOU NEVER PLAY THE TONIC ITS NOT IN THAT KEY AHHHHH FUCK OFF STUPID ROCKFAG

It's complete shit, period.

>10/8 and 5/4 are the same thing
stop triggering me more

idk man i prefer OK COMPUTER
Blijft een mooi nummer hoor, paranoid android

How many basic 3 note harmonic chords do you have in the key of c major?
Lets say you use all the chords, except for c, not even counting accidentals and 4 note chords, you emphasize the subdominant, the dominant, but never resolve to the tonic.
You could not argue that the song was in anything but c major.

But it is.
in x/y, the y tells us what our "base" note lenght is, if we have an 8, thats an 8th note.
the x tells us how many "y"th notes we have in a bar, before a new bar starts.
It tells us nothing about tempo, nothing about pulse, nothing about subdivision, it simply tells us the base note lenght, and how many '"note lenghts" are per bar.
Thats why western musical notation is so lacking, and you have to write "jazz" in the top right corner to tell people how to play your music.

piss off, fuckwad.