So Marijuana scares the shit out of me

So Marijuana scares the shit out of me.

I think I had some bad experiences with care-givers using it when I was young, as a result I relate the smell and notion of it with people who cant be trusted. Knowing people close to me are doing it makes me uncomfortable, even sick. Its an absolute fear and its totally irrational and its spoiled a few relationships.

I know its wrong, I know one marijuana isn't going to kill me, I know its not addictive, I know the facts of it. But

I wanna know what people who've used it might say to someone like me. I don't need to wanna smoke it, but Id like to at least be okay with it. I'm hoping I can find peace in the actual facts surrounding it and the people who use it.

Any advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CsOcnXhFojo
youtube.com/watch?v=Nzztt2NimXc
soundcloud.com/detoxunit/live-psychedelevator-6282015
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

don't take it

I wasn't planning to. But the fact is I cant exactly pretend it doesnt exist, or that people I know dont do it (theyre honestly fine people who use it recreationally), so I just want any advice or simple thoughts that might just make me feel like "hey, its fine, its like tobacco or alcohol"

>one marijuana

Try it for yourself OP, see what happens. It might change your opinion of it.

I did once, purely because it was bothering me. Took a couple drags, it didnt seem to have much effect. I appreciate thats hardly enough to feel anything, and I was drinking at the time. But I honestly dont, and wont, have that much access to it.

What are you five? Get over yourself faggot.

"It makes me uncomfortable and has ruined relationships."

So either A. Don't be a cunt and stop worrying about what other adults are doing

Or B. Don't associate with those people. You don't get both.

No one fucking cares what you think about weed, if you don't like it, stay away from it.

I know common sense is foreign to so many people these days and everything is "Why isn't the world bending over backwards to make sure I'm comfortable" but seriously. Fuck off. You fucking scum.

Most people just take it to have a good time. I take it to self medicate.

A lot of people claim to not feel anything when they first try it. I was one of them, no matter how many joints I smoked, I never felt anything until I hit a huge bong. Anyway, most people use it as a relaxant/motivator depending on the strain. You could look at people who do it the same way as you do someone who takes an Advil for a headache. It's medicine.

Im bending over backwards to make sure everyone else is comfortable, user. I'm going to them.

Elaborate, please?

I appreciate that. I honestly drink to calm my nerves, but what would you say about the folks who do it so much, and make it part of their outward appearance as a "stoner" sort of person?

OP's family is shit

Uh if it's really the smell and shit that bothers you, get your fuckbuddies to chomp down some edibles.

if assholes want to rag on you for disliking weed, then fuck em. you don't owe them anything. you ESPECIALLY don't need to like something (that's based completely on personal preference) FOR THEM.

I get it. lots of people like to smoke and if you don't do it too, you're an outsider. personally, the positive times smoking are outweighed by the much more common mediocre or unpleasant times. I've had fun with weed, but more often than not, it's just kinda meh.

Honestly it makes me feel physically cold, a little paranoid, and usually just pretty stupid. when I smoke i feel like i become worse at having a decent conversation. and I don't like that.

some people love it. more power to them. I wish i had as much fun with it as they do but I just don't.

it's not wrong to have an irrational discomfort with something inconsequential like weed. i mean, if you are irrationally uncomfortable around black people, then yeah, you should probably devote some time to getting that issue sorted out. but irrationally feeling discomfort around weed is pretty insignifficant.

good luck in your future endeavors whatever they are.

My dad always smoked when i was little, the smell is nostalgic for me, and the feeling is the fucking greatest thing ever, just fucking smoke some weed.

Plenty of people smoke weed and you would never guess they do. Some people are successful at hiding their marijuana habits, by not telling anyone and never bringing it up.

That is your choice you cumrag. You don't get to say this thing has ruined relationships and I'm a bitch about it but I'm going to go be around those people. Why the fuck do you care what people use it for? It's none of your goddamn business what adults do in their lives.

I find the stoners that make it abundantly clear to everyone that they smoke annoying. When you walk around wearing nothing but Rasta apparel with 4/20 branded on your face, #1 you're asking to be arrested, #2 you look like a huge cunt. That's just my opinion. I tend to stay away from those types because they usually smoke weed in their parents basement all day.

I wouldn't want to be your friend.

If were already friends, and I find this out, I'd purposefully distance myself no matter how strong the relationship.

1. I'm an advocate for abolishing laws the demonize marijuana on the federal level

2. You need a dose of your own medicine

you what was called a "CER" Conditioned emotional response. Its a very basic physiological phenomenon and fairly simple to correct. use google faggot

That's the problem right there user. You SHOULD NEVER be made the bitch of others to protect their feelings. Smoke weed or eat an edible or something. Have some logical talks while high, it really increases the level of thinking you put into real life.

>it's not wrong to have an irrational discomfort with something inconsequential like weed. i mean, if you are irrationally uncomfortable around black people, then yeah, you should probably devote some time to getting that issue sorted out. but irrationally feeling discomfort around weed is pretty insignifficant.
I hear you. A long-term partner chose to take it up and it made me so irrationally uncomfortable that it ended the relationship. She chose it as an aid to her meditation, I just couldnt see past my own reservations about it, and ended up losing her. Over a plant. Like I said, I dont need to like it but it kinda messed me up and showed me how fucked my priorities are. We were very happy together. Thanks for your input, though.

Sadly I associate it with neglect, but I appreciate what youre saying. Wish I could associate it with good times like I associate booze with good times.

>I think Im with you on that. I remember being in a Discord chat with one guy who would point it out whenever no one noticed or cared he was clearly taking hits from his bong...

>If were already friends, and I find this out, I'd purposefully distance myself no matter how strong the relationship.
Im absolutely trying to change my opinion on it. If thats somehow offensive to you, go fuck yourself.

>You SHOULD NEVER be made the bitch of others to protect their feelings
This is my decision.

My mom is a heavy drinker and smoker. I think I have a lot of trust issues because of her. However, people will do what they like and it's something you have to accept. I have friends who've gotten drunk who I never would have expected to. Seems kinda petty to stop being friends with them over something like that doesn't it?

Fuck you too buddy.

I hope things go poorly for you, and I hope that any sort of inebriation you may ever experiences is a bad one.

chill out man, have a toke its fucking good for you might mellow you out

I accept it, I just find myself feeling unbelievably uncomfortable around it - like I said, its irrational and I want to be over it.

Not because I feel like I would have more friends, but because I dont like having this kind of weakness.

lol alright then

I have a friend on snapchat who posts nothing but him taking rips off a bong wearing a Rasta beani. It's like watching the same fucking snap over and over again. Contemplating deleting him.

I getchu, bro. I appreciate its just one subculture of weed smokers but god fucking dammit is it annoying.

I felt the same as you at one point. I grew up in the same kind of situation but now I have none of the old negative association with it that i used to have.
I'm not really sure what advice I could give which would really help you. You don't have to like it or even ever try it but you need to work on your issues and let go of the negative association (childhood neglect, abuse ect.) you have with it.

tl;dr let go of your worries and your strife

Most people have no effect from first time. I had at effect at third time. People who smoke ganja are most times really peaceful. It mainly makes your senses and emotions stronger. You shouldnt mix it with alcohol, its for advanced smokers.

I can just give you the same advice like for every other fear. Dont let fear tell you what to do. Explain yourself its an irrational fear and nobody will harm you. Confront the fear and confront yourself with it. Maybe try to speak first with someone who is stoned, best an women because men pheromone tend to fear other men from instincts. You have to experience enough positive things with it and you wont associate it negative anymore

what the hell is a care giver?

Just makes me feel hella drunk. But just try it, if not to get over the trust issues with people but to say you know how it affects you. Dont question people actions, question why they did those actions.

>You don't have to like it or even ever try it but you need to work on your issues and let go of the negative association (childhood neglect, abuse ect.) you have with it.
Absolutely, man. I get you. I don't expect to take a drag but I'd like to be okay with it around people close to me (strangers smoking it, I dont care. Close friends or relatives, I get uncomfortable because I suddenly feel I can't trust them. I cant help it, but I hope that some framework built around the facts might help alleviate the stress.
>I'm not really sure what advice I could give which would really help you.
No man, seriously, anything is a help.

>I'm not really sure what advice I could give which would really help you. You don't have to like it or even ever try it but you need to work on your issues and let go of the negative association (childhood neglect, abuse ect.) you have with it.
The irony is, if I just smoked it, Id probably feel a lot better, huh? I appreciate that, I just don't really have access to it, even to experience it 'on my own terms'.
But youre right, my associates are mine, thats why I want to see other points of view, see if any make more sense than mine. I have to make the effort to have them override my own feelings, but at least those feelings are based on face, rather than mine, which are based on fear.

>Maybe try to speak first with someone who is stoned
Thats totally what I'm trying right now. I havent exactly ostracized anyone in my circle for smoking it, but I just don't know many smokers. One or two, but they've rarely said anything comforting enough. So I came here. Fucked up, right?

>You have to experience enough positive things with it and you wont associate it negative anymore
Absolutely, man. That's why I'm asking for folks positive experiences.

Weed really helped me get over my social anxiety and make friends back when I was still an awkward high schooler and early on in college.

Its also quite an aesthetically beautiful plant with an incredible aroma, a very pretty flower more than a drug. I've marveled at the shear charisma of buds before so much that I didn't even want to smoke them, they seemed so perfect that they deserved to stay whole and unsmoked. I mean, just look up some nice high resolution pictures of high grade marijuana and try and appreciate the gorgeousness of it.

give it another try
a whole joint

Thank you, man. I honestly will look it up. The leaf always bothered me, because obviously its a symbol of the 4/20 movement... But I agree, it can be very.. Fibonacci.

I like the way you think about it. I had a hangup over smoking in general when I was younger. Seemed wrong to burn anything, it was a symbol of destruction and disrespect to me but I suppose fire - and burning - is natural. Breathing smoke, though. Thats hard for me to process, honestly.

Takes all kinds, user. If you want to smoke, smoke your brains out. If you don't wanna smoke, don't.

The more serious thing you should be worrying about is taking care of your phobia. See a therapist or something.

Youre right, its my phobia, it's my problem. Its not exactly a day-to-day issue so thats why Im taking here (of all places!) rather than to a therapist. Im not so fucked that I wont listen to others opinion and take them on trust. I think I can deal with it, I just need a wider perspective.

I'm talking about cured ready-to-smoke buds. I mean look at this lovely crystalline piece of mother nature and tell me weed is bad.

And to be honest I don't even smoke at all anymore, just vaporize and dab. Smoking is the least efficient way to consume marijuana, but I still do it on occasion for convenience sake or social reasons. There's something very nice about passing around a pipe or a joint with your friends, getting high and shooting the shit. A comfy communal feeling even if it is objectively the worst way to do it.

Its important to remember though, that fire and destruction are not just natural but important. Do you know much about how forests work? Forest fires are actually an integral part of the forest's ecology. Creative destruction. It clears away the old and lets the strong survive and new growth fill in the holes. In the states, the Forest Service did so much harm to our forests by putting out every forest fire indiscriminately for decades, they just didn't know any better. Natives knew, they would use the fire to their advantage to manage vast tracts of land.

Someone who takes care of a person who can't take care of himself due to physical or mental disability. Also someone who makes out with said person's teenage granddaughter in the kitchen.

I work every single day, no days off, but the perks are undeniable.

>Seemed wrong to burn anything, it was a symbol of destruction and disrespect
Fire IS humanity. Everything we are, everything we do can somehow be traced back to fire.

>Any advice?
Uh, if ya don't want to do it, then don't do it?

Seriously, even if you hate weed and want it to be illegal (not saying that's you, OP) how can you not admit the plant itself is as photogenic as any rose?

Dw it just smells when burnt and reveals peoples true selves because it makes you sensitive

>shooting the shit
user, no! I knew a guy who injected marijuanas and died from eternal bleeding!

lol I know your joking but in case anyone is unfamiliar with the expression, shooting the shit just means talking about nothing in particular.

Its important to remember though, that fire and destruction are not just natural but important. Do you know much about how forests work? Forest fires are actually an integral part of the forest's ecology. Creative destruction.
Thank you, man. That kind of perspective is what I came here for.

I get it.. fire is natural and not necessarily destructive. To a species that goes out of its way to protect every endangered animal, its a step further to realize nothing is permanent. I really appreciate that perspective.

If Im honest, it looks like a spiders nest to me... Its just something I need to get used to, I suppose. The leaf itself looks fine, but anything further and I guess it goes out of my range of appreciation..!

I feel really down and shitty so I get high every once in a while to lift my spirits.

I don't like weed either OP makes me anxious and super paranoid. Unfortunately though I'm also addicted to heroin.

>No man, seirously, anything is a help.
WelI did a lot of reflection over my childhood and upbringing in general and learned to let go (this took a really long time btw, lots of gay therapy shit). I also did a fair amount of research on all the positives and negatives on it which also helped quite a bit because it got rid of that fear of an unknown.
When I was in my first year of uni, one of my close long time friends who wasn't a "#420 smok weed erryday xD" kind of guy offered me a joint and by that time I was on the fence about my feelings towards it but I tried it, spent the next 3 hours crying over memes so now thats the first thing I tend to think of whenever it comes up now.

I hope there's something in that which is helpful

Sounds like you try to control the trip when you should just let the trip take you.

i smoke it cause i'm from copenhagen.

Yeah that's exactly what it is and I've tried so hard. Tried everything. Different strains, smoking with friends, smoking alone.. I loved it when I was 17-18 years old but I quit for a long time and I when I went back it was never the same. I miss loving it.

Cheers man glad it helps

And yeah I know what you mean, although some people find the spider's webs beautiful. They're fractal symmetry in nature at its best, equal parts form and function.

For me I always thought a good looking bud looked like the distillation of all of nature's beauty, a tree covered in crystal formations, the land's bounty and the earth's jewelry merged into one organism.

Dude there is only ONE correct answer here, as in, any decent person who smokes is going to say "You don't have to smoke weed if you don't want to, that's cool"

Why the fuck do you care anyway. This is an amazing example of a human making a huge deal out of a non-issue.

>Weeds my fav drug and I've done almost every class of common psychoactive chemical.
So to you:
>You don't personally like weed. Okie dokie
>You're educated about the science behind it to some extent. That's better the the majority of retarded pot-heads, congrats.

I smoke it cause I'm from Copenhagen, and I smoke pretty often. Like right now, I'm feeling pretty high right now. What are you guys listening to atm.

Probably just not for you anymore. I've nearly gotten to that point with buds, same as you it just gets me all anxious like nothing else unless I only do the very most modest amounts. Still love it though, even if I can mostly only stand wax these days.

Wow, why so fucking mad?
>No one fucking cares what you think about weed
You must be fun at parties

youtube.com/watch?v=CsOcnXhFojo

this chune
youtube.com/watch?v=Nzztt2NimXc

also some dope mixes if you like them bleeps and bloops, this one in particular this fine evening
soundcloud.com/detoxunit/live-psychedelevator-6282015

I will say, when I develop a bit of a tolerance, a small toke or two (and no more) of a nice indica while laying in bed watching a movie before sleep can be nice on occasion. That's usually the only time I like it anymore.

>When I was in my first year of uni, one of my close long time friends who wasn't a "#420 smok weed erryday xD" kind of guy offered me a joint and by that time I was on the fence about my feelings towards it but I tried it
When I was in my first year of uni, one of my close long time friends who wasn't a "#420 smok weed erryday xD" kind of guy offered me a joint and by that time I was on the fence about my feelings towards it but I tried it
I'm a small-time theatre director. An actor offered me a joint to share, was my first experience and as I said, didnt have much effort - I only took a drag because I wanted to experience it instead of being scared but sadly, I guess i wasnt enough to override the fear.
Its nice to know it's not unusual though. I guess I might have to wait to have a similar experience. I know its not evil or anything, its my just my stupid brain.

Haha, a bit more than I can formulate myself but I appreciate the seed of that thought. Thank you.

Having a problem with something that I know isnt a problem is something. I want it to be okay. Not for anyone else, but for me. I don't want to have a problem with it. I don't want to smoke it, but I no longer wish to feel uncomfortable.

I've been told it can make you paranoid...? Do you know anything about that?

Yeah exactly, its just something we need to accept as we grow older, unlearn old habits and develop new ones.

I will say again though that I only have this issue with buds. Oil I can usually enjoy, at least if I'm not globbing like a maniac. The high is much less . . . complex? Muddled? Unextracted buds have a much more diverse character to their highs from all the flavinoids and turpenes and the various non-THC canniboids in there.

I used it a little in high school and stopped for years and years. Then I started drinking and felt I was destroying my body.. Now I do it to relax on occasion... I like it more as a adult for a way to calm down.. Its hard to express feeling calm off something that gives anxiety. But it makes me feel refreshed and clear headed the next day... Note the people doing it are sometimes doing it to relieve feelings WHEN THEY ARENT HIGH

I know what you're saying. Whenever I've dabbed the high seems much cleaner and straight forward. It still has made me feel slightly uncomfortable but it's much easier for me to work my way through.

Weed can make you paranoid because of its diverse psychoactive properties. Depending on the bud in question, the mindset of the user and their setting, it can be a downer, a stimulant, an aphrodisiac, a creativity-aid, a focus-aid, or even somewhat psychedelic. Some people react badly and get paranoid or anxious, although if its not an underlying mental condition its probably got more to do with the set and setting than anything else.

Same way a few drinks can make one fellow a magnanimous good time and another person a surly dickhead.

Wtf is going on in this thread?

Is this alternative-dimensional bait?

Dude is sincere, not everyone is out to bamboozle you

I had a sleepover at my friends house when i was 14, he was smoking weed but i didn't wan't to. He raped me later that night. I didn't tell anyone about it for years. I'm 28 now and i asked my friend about it recently on a night out.

That's why you only do baby dabs and just tell anyone who tries to glob you up too hard no thanks, from experience its never worth it to just take it and see what happens. In general I'd say just find what works and do it. I'm not as young as I used to be, can't be dropping 5 strips and drinking 15 beers in a night and globbing all the way. Nothing wrong with slowing down.

Are you a girl? Because if you aren't then that's hot as.

I get you man, thank you. I knew it was like that but... alcohol is my closest experience and its not entirely accurate. I cant transpose the same experience.

Kill yourself. Easiest way out.

Yeah man I'm trying to cut down on the hard stuff and I know that weed would really help if I could just get over this slump I've been in with it for years.

Not entirely alike, no, but you can imagine how even if you're the type of fellow who enjoys having a few drinks how getting too fucked up and especially getting too fucked up in the wrong place at the wrong time could be quite stressful. Imagine that but except instead of feeling all uninhibited and numbed from the alcohol you felt hyper-aware of your surroundings and your body and your thoughts were running a million miles a minute down a million paths all at once. Fucking not fun even if you're the sort who enjoys getting stoned on the regular.

nope there are no girls on the internet ;)

I'm failing to understand your point, Agent Trevelyan.

Wait, my bad. Trev was 006.

Anyway he was sorry af the next day and said that it was the weed that messed with his mind. so just be careful OP. even friends can misbehave lol

I fucking hate weed. Tried to change my opinion on it and I couldn't. Just don't pressure anybody not to do it, and you should be okay. If they care what you think, tell them, but you can only govern yourself.

If your dislike of weed is going to ruin relationships because people find out you don't like it and push you away for that, seriously fuck those people. How important is a plant that makes you act like a retard? Christ.

Damn, okay. Never heard it described like that, but I absolutely get you.

I suffer from anxiety in my day-to-day so I'm conscious of that aspect of smoking weed but I always thought being 'too' aware might be a bad idea... Would you say so?

The dude says his problem is that he pushes away people because of his irrational distrust of anyone who indulges, not people pushing him away because he doesn't.

Trump and pals make strengthen and enforce the laws of possession and use on a federal level which will over-ride the states laws. Only reason for legalization and "medical use" is to make money. That's it. I actually want it to be so fucking expensive that the fucking weak-minded, and neets won't be able to get it.
Make it about a grand an ounce.

Wasn't sure so I gave an answer for both sides of the fence

Set and setting man. Sucks if you're walking around a crowded public area full of normies or trying to get through a difficult situation, but typically not a problem relaxing at your pad listening to your favorite music or watching a sick show.

>set and setting

No. It is all about brain chemistry, and predisposition.

Tell that to the epileptic children who use it to manage their seizures or the veterans who use it to manage their PTSD

Even if you're just trolling, the fact that people exist who think like this is just fucked. Vengeful, spiteful, cowardly fucks who in one breath claim to be all about freedom but in their hearts clarify that only the "right" sort of freedom for the "right" sort of people. People like that are insecure and hate themselves.

>It is all about brain chemistry, and predisposition

Plays a role I admit, but no there is quite a bit more to it than that. The whole neurology and genetics absolutism perspective has been massively undermined by the field of epigenetics. The fact is, environment plays a role in even gene expression itself.