Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1819

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

okwave.jp/qa/q1117534.html
my.mixtape.moe/yhllei.webm
my.mixtape.moe/svvdby.webm
desuarchive.org/_/search/text/"my wife chino"/
youtube.com/watch?v=HFOr1u0tx5E
youtube.com/watch?v=fDc33b3unJo
youtube.com/watch?v=hAj7N2Gf6vg
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1299722822
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okurigana
tonan.seesaa.net/article/94263474.html
youtube.com/watch?v=j7gcSoxoeM8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>つっかえて動かなくなっちゃったんです・・・
What did she mean by this? Specifically, what does なっちゃった mean? It's some conjugation of なる, but what does it specifically mean?

I started making a new OP image but the new thread went up before I finished, so I guess I'll just post it anyway.

なってしまった → なっちゃった
しまう is used as an auxiliary verb. In this case the meaning is similar to as if you were to use adverbs like "regrettably", "unfortunately", and/or "accidentally" in English.

I swear to god word slurring makes me want to commit suicide.

Can anyone reccomend any actual good japanese literature? Heard some good things about mishima and, of course, genji monogatari - but that's pretty much it.

Do you know Akutagawa(芥川龍之介)?
his short story is nice.

This was a really interesting read, thanks for posting. I already hated China as a country for their disgusting treatment of people and their totalitarianism, but this is something else.

Thank you so much

Thread died before I could respond to you user. Oops.
>I want "kamaku" to be a 雷く verb.
Go to the Dictionary Tool or Add word (Dictionary Tool is the same thing but with an easier layout). In the Reading section, add かまく and in the Word section add 雷く. In the Part of Speech/Category section, select the verb class, so probably 動詞カ行五段 in this instance. Is there a box where you can type the Comment or some form of description? If so, type out your definition/meaning, I guess.

>I want "anonimosu" to be a 亜乃2燃素 common noun.
Same as above only select 名詞 from the Parts of Speech box.

>And I want "desutorakushon" to be an apocalyptic proper name "電嵐風噴爆破滅", in the style of Armaggedon or Ragnarok.
Same as above, only select 人名 or 固有名詞.

>Also I want "sakana" to output this |>°ºO
Same above above, only select 句読点. Amusing choice, by the way.

>Also, if I want to say 電嵐風噴爆破滅的 later on, will it recognize the made-up compound if its base form was added in the library?
Should do, man. I'd also suggest using the Dictionary Tool option instead of the Add Word tool option, as it's just easier to use overall.

Next post will have a list of the Parts of Speech and their meaning.

アルファベット alphabet
サジェストのみ suggested word only
人名 personal name
副詞 adverb
助数詞 counter
名 (I thought this was an abbreviation for 名詞, but I don't really know)
名詞 noun
名詞サ変 する noun/verb, like 勉強する
名詞形動 A nound which can turn into a adjective with に or な attached, like 平等→平等な or 平等に
固有名詞 proper noun
地名 place name
姓 surname
感動詞 interjection, like うーん、えーと、なるほど、あの-, etc.
接続詞 conjunction, like だから、しかし、つまり、だって, etc.
接頭語 prefix
数 number
短縮よみ Shortened form. You can put something in the reading section and hit spacebar and it will show up in the suggestions. Anything, for example you can create an entry that typing 「おおおお」 will prompt a suggestion for 「小5マンコはさいこおおおおおおおだせ!!!」
組織 Classification, organisation name
暗号 code, keyword
連休詞 Holidays? I really don't know
顔文字 kaomoji/emoji
接尾人名 Name suffixes, like さま
接尾地名 Regional suffixes, like 郡

1/2

2/2

動詞ワ行五段 ワ row godan verb, like 笑う、問う, etc.
動詞カ行五段 カ row godan verb, like 書く、行く, etc.
動詞タ行五段 タ row godan verb, like 勝つ, etc.
動詞ナ行五段 ナ row godan verb, like 死ぬ
動詞マ行五段 マ row godan verb, like 読む, etc.
動詞ラ行五段 ラ row godan verb, like 切る, etc.
動詞ガ行五段 ガ row godan verb, like 泳ぐ, etc.
動詞バ行五段 バ row godan verb, like 遊ぶ, etc.
動詞ハ行四段 ハ row yondan verb, which is for 古文 verbs which are no longer really used, like 会ふ、言ふ and 思ふ
動詞一段 Ichidan verbs
動詞カ変 Irregular カ row verbs, as in 来る
動詞サ変 Irregular サ row verbs, as in 死ぬ
動詞ザ変 Irregular ザ row verbs, as in 混ず、抉ず
動詞ラ変 Irregular ラ row verbs, as in 有る
形容詞 い adjective
終助詞 sentence-ending particle, like よ、ね, etc.
句読点 punctuation mark
独立語 independent word in a sentence that isn't really needed to be connected to anything else to for meaning. Examples: the 違う in 違うよ、テストは金曜だよ and the ねえ in ねえ、一緒に帰ろうよ
抑制単語 This allows you to set it so certain readings have certain kanji as the highest preference. For example, adding うつ as the reading and 欝 as the kanji will prompt typing ゆううつ to render as 憂欝 as opposed to the more common 憂鬱.

Wow... I mean, just... wow. This is some next level cancer.

Business is like that everywhere, anons. Some of the shit I've seen in the past working within the steel industry in Australia would make your head spin. Our mining and ore industry is one of our largest and it's just as bad as everything in that image, really.

Yeah, but the shit with the Swedish dude and the hospital? That's fucking unforgivable, what the absolute fuck? Not even the burgers have hospitals this awful.

Didn't knew, thanks. Any other name, maybe?

It's a fucking anecdote. Do you think things like that haven't occurred in hospitals in Australia? I have family who work in the nursing and public/private hospital systems. My mum worked with a lady who spent decades abusing the elderly in her care but instead of firing her, she was simply moved from place to place like the Catholic church deals with priests, all because she somehow managed to sue the nursing company and they were afraid she would go to court again. Multiple people have died under her direct mistreatment. Shit like that happens all over.
The larger the system, the more fall through the cracks.

ヤマグチ ノボル

Fair enough, but they're still commies.

Eh, my post didn't say anything at all about the Chinese system, nor was I pretending that's something that happens everywhere, I was just expressing sympathy for user.
Though desu I would assume that, given what he says about the Chinese Legal System, this kind of scamming is probably commonplace.
>china
>communist
Not since Deng Xiaoping literally embraced capitalism, but I wouldn't really expect an amerifat to understand history.

Does 大好きな久助の気迫 mean "that drive of Kyousuke's that I love" or "the drive of my beloved Kyousuke", or is it ambiguous?

It was facetious, but I wouldn't expect an ELS to understand the nuances of the English language.

川端康成
夏目漱石
太宰治
安部公房

I'm not sure what the East London Airport has to do with anything user, care to explain?

haha, what a funny animated picture, do u mind if I save it and show it to my friend? I'll tell him u sent it to me ofc :)

Just to clarify, I am guessing 大好きな久助の気迫 means "the drive of my beloved Kyousuke", and that 久助の大好きな気迫 means "the drive of Kyousuke's that I love", but I am not sure if these are correct (especially since I think that the latter Japanese sentence would imply that that drive isn't beloved by the speaker, but by Kyousuke himself.

Would appreciate any input on .

Of course friend, it's yours.

Could be either, but I'd lean toward the latter.

Okay, so 大好きな久助の気迫 is ambiguous between the two meanings.

If anyone knows, how would you rephrase the Japanese sentence to represent each of the two English sentences unambiguously, if there is a simple way?

Maybe if you say 大好きな久助のその気迫, it could be more definitively interpreted as "the drive of my beloved Kyuusuke". Not sure how to achieve the second meaning, though.

Flyable Heart

Thank you for giving input into my question :)

Hiragana is so hard to learn wtf I give up

See you in a few months.

Life saver, duder, I will treasure this list in my kokoro.

>動詞ナ行五段 ナ row godan verb, like 死ぬ
>動詞サ変 Irregular サ row verbs, as in 死ぬ
waaat

I was going to ask what is the point of marking stuff as alphabet or particle, but I guess it's about making it so the program will recognize PoS and by doing that, compounds as well, right?

For instance, if I turn manko in a particle, ともだちまんこころす, the program will know it's 友達まんこ殺す instead of 万心す or something.

>Our mining and ore industry is one of our largest and it's just as bad as everything in that image, really.
Get on my level, nigga, Google for Mariana flood. The Chinese fear the Monkey.

Sassy-faced geisha!

nah jks halfway through Katakana now

Can 「何よりAdjective+Noun」 mean "The adjectivest noun", or is that not possible?

Like, can 何より強い人 mean "The strongest man of all", or that is not possible?

>tfw reading grammar is easy
>tfw pulling grammar out of your ass to talk is completely different
It's like I'm rediscovering physics.

Yeah, you can, but when used like an adverb like that, it's more common to do it in the form of 何よりも.

何よりも高い
何よりも恐ろしい
etc.

>Like, can 何より強い人 mean "The strongest man of all"
In that case you'd use 誰よりも強い人.

Were you a person who asked about なに previously?
なにより of なによりうれしい and so on is one of collocations.
なにより can be used as both a noun and an adverb.
I guess you ask a high level question of Japanese.

this answer in this discussion is easy to understand for me.
noname#9105
okwave.jp/qa/q1117534.html

こんばんは
今夜もお邪魔しております。

華金です。みんな、お疲れ様。

I think that's just how the brain works for most people. Remembering things is easy right away, but then right after try and explain what you think you remembered to someone who doesn't know and majority of people have a hard time.
It's just a matter of exposure and experience, like all things. Keep at it.

東野圭吾 - Good mysteries. Some great twists and thrillers.
百田尚樹 - Good plots and generally good story telling, though I can see why some people think he's overrated. Personally, I like him even if he is a bit racist and blunt sometimes outside of his novels.

>東野圭吾
His stories are good, but the way he writes really irks me for some reason.

I too think sometimes he purposefully makes the mysteries "too" complex, but it's hard to put down a book of his once I pick it up.

Woops! Friend, you accidentally left "Name" field filled in your last two posts, but don't worry, I'm here to help you with simple steps to remedy the situation:

- Erase any content in the blank fields above the main "Comment" box;
- Post something;
- ???
- Profit!

The form will default to posting normally again and you are back to the game!
No need to thank me, dude, I was a beginner on Sup Forums once, too!

Two books I read and liked recently were 砂の女 and 山の音

週末だ!!!

しゅうまつ何してますか?

え、さあ
日本語の単語と文法は勉強します たぶん
あんたは

忙しいですか?

わたくし?
いいえ、一日中Sup Forumsはシットポストする
楽しいでしょう?

救ってもらっていいですか?

>waaat
Oops, that was a copy/paste error. That was supposed to be する, must have copied over it while copying from notepad to excel.
Correction:
「動詞サ変 Irregular サ row verbs, as in する」

>I will treasure this in my kokoro.
My kokoro felt empty earlier until accidental coming across this webm while looking for a file. Now it is playing on loop and my heart hurts. A painful overpowering mix of the urge to become a father alongside wanting to hug a little longer than a parent would. Forgot how adorable this series is.
my.mixtape.moe/yhllei.webm

>I was going to ask what is the point of marking stuff as alphabet or particle, but I guess it's about making it so the program will recognize PoS and by doing that, compounds as well, right?
I guess. To be honest a lot of those entries seem a bit odd and were worded a little strangely. A fair amount of natives were having issues understanding just what the fuck a few of those category terms mean for the user and I found the answer to them by looking up answers provided for those similarly confused natives and by finding random blog entries explaining them. Also cross-referenced an online guide Apple has for their built-in Japanese IME which uses more common terms for these functions, with examples.
Still don't really know exactly what Google means with the 連休詞 selection.

その本はおもしれ?

おまえらのかあちゃん

Eh, I hope you're fatherlusting after lilac-hair loli, redhead and brunette seem to have shitty voices!

But hey, I get your webm-filled feels session, the following scene was enough to make me start watching the anime (Isshuukan Friends):
my.mixtape.moe/svvdby.webm

Too comfy.

Thanks for all the trouble organizing the word categories once again, I would also never guess I have to place kaomojis and stuff at 句読点, there should be a "misc" option or something. Probably what the independent word category does.

あまりにも好きなんで年明けて一発目に再読ぅー! 何度読んでも素晴らしいなあ二人の出会いからヴィレムの葛藤、決断そしてクトリとの一騎打ちからのセニオリスの調整 初めて読んだときに感じたこの衝撃は一生忘れないし再び味わうことをできた ここから辛い辛い道をクトリはヴィレムは歩んでいくことになるが二人のこの幸せそうな姿を追っていくのがたまらなく楽しいので本当にこの作品が好きなんだなあと再認識できましたとさ!! 時間があるときに続きも再読させてもらいまぁす!

>I hope you're fatherlusting after lilac-hair loli
lol
desuarchive.org/_/search/text/"my wife chino"/
>there should be a "misc" option or something
There should be some sort of user manual with clear examples. If there is I'm completely blind because I couldn't find such. Then again, Google is known for obscuring how to actually use their products. The help forums for Google Docs is a complete clusterfuck of unanswered questions, handwaved issues and outdated answers which are no longer applicable. Still think the IME itself is the best one out, though.

>my.mixtape.moe/svvdby.webm
Isshukan Friends is on my manga reading list, not going to watch the anime till after reading it. Love 大久保 瑠美's voice so looking forward to it. There is something about how she pronounces her ひ's.
youtube.com/watch?v=HFOr1u0tx5E
youtube.com/watch?v=fDc33b3unJo

>させてもらいまぁす
Just me or is 「させてもらっちゃって」 an awesome combination of sounds? Is sounds cute when a girl says it and sounds cool when a guy says it. It's a win-win phrase.

not really. that copy paste is very stupid.

Can I get a source on a girl saying it?

has anyone tried that rosetta stone thing? im considering it to use alongside anki but it might be a waste of time. idk.

Recalling from memory, can't find a video or anything at the moment. Sorry about that.

Oh, I went after her character list and she's both Chinatsu and Yuyushiki's MC, I'm about to rewatch YrYr against my will, so that's a plus side to look forward to, I'll pay close attention to her voice.

>Google being foggy
Fuck those dudes, dude. How are we letting them drive our cars when they can't even program an efficient comment section to YouTube? Guess to be the first you also have to be unreachable, so customers won't hinder your wild advances. All that yummy telemetry we must provide them through IME...

>tfw even N5 Japanese feels like miles away,

I`m not gonna make it /djt/

>I'm about to rewatch YrYr against my will
Against your will?

I'm translating a raw volume and will use the episodes as reference.
I even mistakenly downloaded season 2 because I thought the scenes would be from there, so I'll end up watching it too not to waste it.

I've typed 60 pages out of ~160 so far, I struggle more with timing the pressing of spacebar to convert words properly than anything.

Chinatsu's hair, by the way, were the thing that got me into YrYr (besides all the reactions/gifs), too bad she's so disliked in general. A cutest.

I thought all of the volumes would be translated by now. Which volume are you translating? I could help with the transcription process.
Ignore the shitposters, though. No one really dislikes any of the Yuru's. It's not humanly possible.

It's not so much we dislike Chinatsu, it's just the other Yurus are so much better. Especially Kyoko she's objectively best

What is this つられた verb?
釣る?
How does it work here?

>I could help with the transcription process.
I'll have to make some enryo there.
In a way, I'm using the transcription as a means of practicing (the whole translation process, actually), as I have to recall how to say stuff to type it out. I'll probably need DJT when it comes to the handwritten parts, though...

Kyouko is not the best character, she's the only good character (Chinatsu still a cute!).
I was kinda let down by the series, after all the hype I had seen. At least in anime form. In mango I'm appreciating everything because it comes with that added pleasure of "I'm understanding raw chink shit!"

Okay, Mari-chan is also cool, but she doesn't do much.

Pic.

compare the example
まわりの人の笑い声に釣られて笑いだす be swept up in the laughter of those aroundone

Some more Rise and Chiduru chapters would be nice.
Akari is probably my favourite character.

Leave a post if you need a hand. I've transcribed a few manga volumes to text before, so it wouldn't be a big deal.
>she's the only good character
Don't even know what that sentences means, user.

Here is another example of what the user above pointed out:
youtube.com/watch?v=hAj7N2Gf6vg

I've got it.
Thanks!

What are some good websites with beginner-intermediate sentences/short stories that I can practice reading with rikaikun (preferably with the english translations as well so I can compare)? Manga's not doing it for me with all the slang and the fact that I can't use rikaikun to quickly check vocab I don't know yet.

I knew already about the example with the laughter, but had seriour doubts if it can be applied to something like ため息

>Akari is probably my favourite character.
There was a girl called Akari? I don't remember her at all, it's like she wasn't even there

I saw the pic in my dict as well. It didn't help much.

Why does it sound like 取引 pronounced とりしき in core 6k when it's hiragana is とりひき?

detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1299722822
in the case of つられて of intransitive verb, hiragana is better than kanji.
釣り is famous as an internet slang, but it is not usual originally.
even if it is written in an dictionary, it is not believable much.
torihiki is right.
torishiki is edo dialect.

There are many such kind of abbreviated words with hiragana omitted. They are usually provided with their full counterparts in dictionaries.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okurigana
okurigana is kana between several kanji.
for example, 問い合せる and 問合せ are same.
とる+ひく is Japanese word. 取+引 is kanji.
kanji should be read from meaning's point of view.
okurigana is just only defined by someone after all.

ひ is sometimes pronounced with the back teeth nearly touching, producing a sound between "h" and "sh".

Thanks, now I'm hissing at myself at 3:00 AM.

hissing at my neighbors at 7:30pm here
but thats 日常

What is writen here? I can't understand this sound.

きび

If there are any kanji nerds out here, I found this (or more accurately, the comment section) to be a fascinating read.
tonan.seesaa.net/article/94263474.html

Basically a bunch of kanji turbonerds arguing whether 旧字体 was really written by hand in the past as opposed to abbreviations more similar to current 常用漢字. (tl;dr both happened)

If you studied 旧字体 (and 旧仮名遣い) for shits n giggles before, you'll probably enjoy this.

Why do names tend to use the kun reading more often despite being jukugo?

Because they're of Japanese origin, I suppose.

I see.
that is interesting.

今日テレビで見たんだけど、

いちどうに会す

っていう時のいちどうは場合によって一同か一堂になるらしい。
日本人だけど、日本語はまだまだだなあって感じた…

youtube.com/watch?v=j7gcSoxoeM8
>"your country" sounds racist
is this real?

it does feel a bit cold maybe, but this guy is making a fuss about it though

I have been reading for 3 months now how come I don't know Japanese yet?

Honestly the green text "Do you have ___________ where you are from" sounds very weird and strange to me. "Do you have ______________ in your country" sounds more normal. Almost no one cares though dunno why he is making a fuss about it